Start by marking “The Door in the Wall (Large-Print)” as Want to Read:
The Door in the Wall (Large-Print)
Read Book

The Door in the Wall (Large-Print)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  597 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The Door in the Wall, considered by both readers and critics, to be Wells's finest tale, examines an issue to which Wells returned repeatedly in his writing: the contrast between aesthetics and science and the difficulty of choosing between them. This collection also includes The Star, A Dream of Armageddon, The Cone, A Moonlight Fable, The DiamondMaker, The Lord of the Dy ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Waking Lion Press (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about The Door in the Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Door in the Wall

Amalie
H.G. Wells is known as the father of Modern Science Fiction and is best known for his science fiction fantasies like The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man.. it's only recently I realised that some of his short fiction, although less known, are equally great.

The Door in the Wall will probably be considered as one of his fantastic tales, I personally feel there's more to it.

The story is a vague recollection by a man in his forties, a successful British politician, of an exper
Anna
— Ты когда-нибудь играл со мной в «северо-западный проход»?.. Нет, в то время мы не были в дружбе с тобой.
Это была такая игра, продолжал он, в которую каждый ребенок, наделенный живым воображением, готов играть целые дни напролет. Требовалось отыскать «северо-западный проход» в школу. Дорога туда была простая и хорошо знакомая, но игра состояла в том, чтобы найти какой-нибудь окольный путь. Нужно было выйти из дому на десять минут раньше, завернуть куда-нибудь в сторону и пробраться через незна
Mpur Chan
I read The Door In The Wall, a short story written by H.G Wells. The narrating style is the story within a story. I think this short story has so many symbolic meaning. So many metaphor. The door itself could be the entrance between reality and fantasy. It is also related to Wallace’s lonely life. In reality, Wallace is bullied. The world behind the door is his way to escape reality. I really like this story, especially the ending.

Perry Whitford
A man of worldly affairs recently deceased, a Cabinet Minister, had told his friend a most extraordinary tale just before his death. All his life he had seen glimpses of, and once, as a young child, entered into, a strange green door.

The door opened into a lush garden, 'into peace, into delight, into a beauty beyond dreaming, a kindness no man on earth can know', inhabited by playful children, friendly animals and a lady with a magical picture book.

Pretty straight forward short story from Wells
Austin Aslan
I adored this story, and wrote a lengthy review of it here. But Goodreads lost the text when I tried to submit. I don't have the heart to rewrite the whole thing. But I highly recommend this story. The voice and tone are both a bit dated, but otherwise this strikes me as an allegory about death that easily stands the test of time and transcends any particular "religious" view about that 'borne' from which no traveller returns... For the era in which it was written, this religiously-neutral (most ...more
Alex Bergonzini
Una puerta verde, en un muro blanco aparece en tu vida en los momentos más trascendentales. Una vez que la atraviesas, te sientes en un fabuloso mundo donde todo es posible para tu mente y cuerpo. Todo problema queda al otro lado del muro y te sientes libre para ser tú mismo, allí en ese nuevo mundo.

Afrontar cada problema requiere de valentía, de una fuerza de voluntad que te hace ser la persona que has ido forjando con los años y la decisión que tomes en cada momento, te hará cumplir tus metas.
CV Rick
A collection of stories by one of the founders and masters of the genre. It's these 8 stories that give a creative and whimsical glimpse into what Science Fiction was like half a century ago.

The title story is my favorite - The Door in the Wall. It's a metaphor for missed choices and how following your dreams should be a mission, not a wish. I thought about this lesson for a long time after reading. It made me more vigilant about looking for those doors I normally pass.
Brian Harmon
I just read this collection of short stories by HG Wells. His imagination and ability to evoke images in the mind, never cease to amaze me. The stories have many different tones, some rather dark, but all very engrossing. it's a quick read, but does not lack in depth. I heartily recommend!!
Sara
A young boys goes through a door in the wall, and discovered paradise. Thoughout his life, the memory of this garden has haunted him and he strives to find it one last time. I liked this because it was a bit dark.
Marinho Lopes
Este livro, além do conto “A Porta no Muro”, continha ainda “O Caso Plattner”, “A História do Falecido Mr. Elvesham”, “O Ovo de Cristal” e “A Loja Mágica”. Confesso que em geral esperava muito melhor do H. Wells. A escrita é simples, agradável e cuidada, no entanto não me cativou muito. Os contos acabam mais por parecer uns ensaios… Os que gostei mais foram o primeiro (“A Porta no Muro”), cujo tema é alegórico (o que é uma clara excepção), e o último (“A Loja Mágica”), onde a escrita me pareceu ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I enjoy the author.

This is a small book, about the size of a man's hand and contains three short stories. 2011 is the fiftieth anniversary of the Penguin Modern Classics list and in honour of this event they have published 50 of these "Mini Modern" books to celebrate the great short story writers. The books are all uniform.

I like H.G. Wells; I've read all his fiction, some of the novels more than once. I especially like his science fiction, the classics "The Time Machine" and
Ian Russell
Fans of H.G. Wells' famous works, The Time Machine; The War of the Worlds; The Invisible Man; and The First Men in the Moon should read this collection of shorts, if they haven't already.

Readers who haven't yet experienced the imagination and thoughtfulness of Wells' work could do much worse than beginning here. These eight tales are more Twilight Zone than science fiction, and darker in tone than the more popular novels.

The Door in the Wall, a boy walking to school is drawn to discover what lie
Heidi
Very imaginative collection of short stories by H. G. Wells. My favourites were the first three: The Door in the Wall, The Star, and A Dream of Armageddon.

In The Door in the Wall, a man relates to his friend how as a lonely boy, he opened a mysterious door in a wall and found himself in a beautiful garden. The garden had tame panthers, all kinds of flowers, and playmates with wonderful games. Sadly, he was sent back to his own world before he was ready to go, and the mysterious wall with the doo
Cynthia Garza
Read this story as a result of reading -the man who mistook his wife for a hat- by Oliver Sacks. In his book, Sacks speaks of a patient who could strongly identify with this story. So I read this story to better Sack's patient and his account.
-the door in the wall- speaks of longing gone wrong. Part of the human condition. Yet someone strongly long for long periods of time for what never can be. Wow. How thinning that line between mental health and mental illness.

Kyle
I loved this book. It was especially poignant to me because I read The Great Gatsby at the same time and I realize that a girl from my past is the door in the wall. It really made me think about things in a new light. I loved it.
Jamie
This one has been in my to-read list for some time. The synopsis sounded interesting and I love a good deal of Wells' work. It is a short read and, I think, an interesting commentary on the choices someone makes throughout their lives to pursue the road they believe they must travel over the, perhaps, more enjoyable, less material parallel that springs unbidden to our minds at times of a crossroads, where one leads us further down that expected line and the other a new and different direction. T ...more
stillme
A magical door that randomly appears and takes you to a fantastic world - reminding me of The Secret Garden and Narnia, as well as the Room of Requirement in Harry Potter.
Nippon
They are three short novels. The language is easy and the order of stories ranging from the most interesting to the most trivial.
Robyn
Public Domain - Free for Kindle |

I clearly do not read enough HG Wells. This was really very good.
Daniel Stephens
A very moving and thought provoking story - I can see why it's considered one of Wells best.
Timofey Reutov
I have never read such a mysterious book...
Brian Sison
I originally marked this as 3 stars... but the memory of it and the feelings it draws forth make it seem better after time.

A wistful tale of one man's longings for a vague, unexplainable event from his childhood. What does it mean to go back to those times?... is it even possible? In growing up, do we turn our backs on what was once important to us? And what happens when we do try to regain those lost feelings? Are we doomed to only grow older then die?
Nagisa
A collection of short stories that captivate the reader with Wells' rich imagination and masterly storytelling. He illustrates stories in different settings and various narrative techniques, yet all in increasing suspense.
My favorite is ”The Lord of the Dynamos,” which explores the dark side of religion.
Greg Schell
An excellent collection of short stories that I can imagine I will read again in the future. I particularly enjoyed the bookend stories of this collection... The Door In The Wall and The Country Of The Blind.
Jasperzelf
One of my favourite short stories ever. Original, tightly plotted, deep without beging obscure. But don;t believe me: read it fee on http://www.online-literature.com/well...
  • The Bet
  • The Frozen Deep (Hesperus Classics)
  • The Sound of His Horn
  • The Scarlet Plague
  • A-Babies Vs X-Babies #1
  • Mono no Aware
  • Planet of the Damned
  • Some Of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales Of The Here And Now
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol ...more
More about H.G. Wells...
The Time Machine The War of the Worlds The Invisible Man The Island of Dr. Moreau The Time Machine/The Invisible Man

“When afterwards I tried to tell my aunt, she punished me again for my wicked persistence. Then, as I said, everyone was forbidden to listen to me, to hear a word about it. Even my fairy-tale books were taken away from me for a time - because I was too 'imaginative'. Eh! Yes, they did that! My father belonged to the old school.... And my story was driven back upon myself. I whispered it to my pillow - my pillow that was often damp and salt to my whispering lips with childish tears. And I added always to my official and less fervent prayers this one heartfelt request: 'Please God I may dream of the garden. O! take me back to my garden.” 10 likes
“A Cabinet Minister, the responsible head of thar most vital of all departments, wandering alone - grieving - sometimes near audibly lamenting - for a door, for a garden!” 3 likes