Snare

Snare

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The author of the beloved Deverry series (Dragonspell, Darkspell, and The Red Wyvern) turns her hand to a new kind of tale.

On the planet known as Snare, the descendants of Islamic fundamentalist emigrants have created beautiful enclaves, where they can sit on a patio enjoying green grass and "true-roses," but the nomadic tribes live in a much harsher landscape. Where the g...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Snare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snare

Rhiannon Miller
Interesting that the people who reviewed this negatively tend to like the Deverry books. I sought out the Deverry books having read Snare, and found them to be exceedingly disappointing by comparison. I thought Snare was a well-realised, complex world, with some nice questions about whether and how spirituality emerges from religion (if all the magic of the Tribes is just legacy tech, and their religion made up out of whole cloth, why do the cranes try so hard (as they do) to be Zayn's totem?).
I...more
Ian S. Bott
I rarely pay attention to book blurbs, and it's just as well in this case because the front cover blurb ("...the descendants of Islamic fundamentalists war with the descendants of scientists...") almost put me off looking any further.

It bemuses me that someone could have picked on just about the least relevant details as a hook to promote the story. Instead of being enticed, I was worried that this would be nothing more than a thinly-veiled soapbox. I wanted entertainment, not lecturing.

Luckily...more
Lis Carey
The cover blurb says, "On the planet Snare, the descendants of Islamic fundamentalists war with the descendants of scientists, and the alien natives, for the fate of a planet." Let this be a warning to you against reading cover blurbs.

It's not 100% false. We do have the descendants of Islamic fundamentalists. We do have the descendants of scientists. We do have the native intelligent species--though something in me balks at describing beings living on their own planet where they evolved as "alie...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in June 2005.

Katharine Kerr has long been an author I have enjoyed reading. She is best known for her long running Deverry series, which is basically standard fantasy, albeit well written and with some nice individual touches. I think that her other books, closer to science fiction, are more interesting, but now Snare brings that inventiveness back to a new fantasy world. (A slight caveat about what I've just said - this is fantasy with a fairly remote scienc...more
OD
Steven
This is a rather strange book. It is excellently constructed, and a surprisingly deep world. In fact, the process of worldbuilding is the best part of the book. The characters think they live in one relatively shallow world with a relatively shallow history, and we learn their true situation more or less as they do. (Well, faster, but not so fast as to make it useless exposition).

The plot is long and twisting. The main worldbuilding thrust is interesting, but the original main plot's return for...more
Gordon
A really different book which I really enjoyed. Kerr always focusses a lot on language and I guess you know it has its place in this book but to be honest the story would have worked just as well without it though the near French words like shen made me laugh.
I really liked the 3 human cultures in the book and this made the story pretty easy to understand in the beginning, however as things are revealed the plots and motives of the 2 cultures in branching out alone are the kind of reasons I can...more
Sean Mulkerrin
Snare is perhaps one of the greatest singular stand alone books I have ever read. It seamlessly blends many elements into one amazing narrative. It's probably the most re-read book on the my shelves.
Kerra
This was one of the hardest books I ever read when I was a freshman in high school. It was also the second book I ever read after starting to read again when I was 16. It was so hard to read because the words are so tiny and because it is one big book :) I loved it though. It is almost kind of like a newer version of Star Wars if you will. Nothing beats Star Wars, but this came pretty close. With grass that is purple and a sky that is red, I loved this book and highly recommend this to any fanta...more
Emily
Quite good! On the planet of Snare, three different groups of humans and a race of aliens live in separate societies. One group of humans is descended from Islamic fundamentalists; one is descended from scientists & engineers, and one is descended from soldiers.

Each group sees the world a little differently and has different priorities. As the novel unfolds, the various characters learn more about their history, their beliefs, and each other. It's well-done, and doesn't give away too much t...more
Arianna
Really interesting and unpredictable plot, which starts giving hints in one direction and developed in a completely different manner, revealing the setting.A bit too many coincidences and often terminology typical from the setting not well explained may make the reader a bit confused.Anyway, a pleasant reading.
Jody Mena
This was surprisingly good! I was a little worried that it would be forced, but it flowed naturally and the surprises at the end were appropriate in a way that it felt more like a mystery being solved than anything else. I would highly recommend it!
Jen Paull
A rare single volume fantasy book - which is the reason I bought it. I like the view it gives of how some cultures might evolve if left to themselves. Also the technology which makes it read almost like a pure sci-fi novel by the end.
Conrad Toft
For some reason (perhaps because it was on the Kindle?) it took me a while to get into this book, but once I settled into it on holiday I really enjoyed the characters and societies that Kerr created.
Amy Bennett
Boring, didn't finish it. It's rare I don't finish books but this one never grabbed me no matter what I tried.

I've read other series by her and loved them so I think it's this particular story.
Dan
A rather different book that shows that you can mix fantasy and sci-fi. Also shows that Kerr's can write more then good fantasy. The book is a bit slow sometimes, however it is still worth reading.
Ranjit1george
This book is responsible for introducing me to the world of Deverry.

All I can say is "more"! This book does have a potential for more volumes - before and after.
Valerie
Started reading it because I liked the Deverry books. Couldn't get into it, didn't get any further than the torture scene.
Scythan
I was glad this turned out to be science fiction! I would read more books set in the same world.
Just reread this classic and still loving it. I wish there were other books set in this world.
Cherry Mischievous
Fab stand alone! This is the book which made me seek further offerings from this author :)
Shady
Quite a good novel, the plot starts to wander a little, but it is quite an enjoyable standalone.
Gail
Great! I've never read Katherine before and really enjoyed this book.
Samantha
Wonderful book! I enjoyed the characters and the level of detail very much.
Boronia
Loved it! I hope Katherine writes more books from this world.
Kimberly Watkins
Kimberly Watkins is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • The Usurper's Crown (Isavalta, #2)
  • The Visitor
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • Ghost in the Machine (Corwint Central Agent Files, #1)
  • The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4)
  • The Daemon Prism (Collegia Magica, #3)
  • The Wave
  • Aramus (Cyborgs: More Than Machines, #4)
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • Legacy of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy, #4)
  • Seeds of Change
  • The Genesis Machine
  • Alien Earth
  • The Belly of the Bow (Fencer Trilogy, #2)
  • Blood Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #2)
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.
More about Katharine Kerr...
Daggerspell (Deverry, #1) Darkspell (Deverry, #2) A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1) The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4) The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)