Start by marking “The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3)

The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon #3)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  618 ratings  ·  18 reviews
As Chief of Police for Granite Creek, Colorado, Scott Parris has learned that the solutions to heinous human crimes sometimes lie outside the realm of cold, rational science. In the past, this knowledge has compelled him to join forces with Charlie Moon, a Ute tribal policeman who understands both the modern world and the mystical. And now Parris's instincts tell him to he ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Avon Books (first published 1997)

A Thief of Time by Tony HillermanSkinwalkers by Tony HillermanThe Blessing Way by Tony HillermanDance Hall of the Dead by Tony HillermanTalking God by Tony Hillerman
Native American Detectives
22nd out of 79 books — 55 voters
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman AlexieBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealLove Medicine by Louise ErdrichCeremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
Native American Fiction
221st out of 513 books — 482 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda Otis
I thought this one was a shade darker than the later Doss books I've read, but there was still the usual humor. I've noticed he does a lot of stylistic experiments throughout the series that aren't always appealing. For example, this one has some really blunt foreshadowing as in "he shouldn't have done that," and that sort of thing. For an early novel in the series, that's understandable, but it's tough because you already know what's certain to happen in a little while and I prefer a lot more s ...more
Sheila
I like Tony Hillerman’s Navajo mysteries, and I love the red-rock country of Southern Utah, so James Doss was a logical next author to read, and The Shaman’s Bones was a good place to start.

The Denver Post says Hillerman’s fans will find a new home here. It’s probably right. Doss’s characters seem more actively mystical than Hillerman’s, with dreams revealing hidden locations and spirit guides speaking in riddles. But there’s a beautifully solid grounding in humor and everyday reality. Some deli
Francis
Browsing through mysteries on Scribd I stumbled onto this book. And it has been a while since I had a stumble this good.
Diana
This was an appealing Southwest mystery. Daisy Perika, aunt of Charlie Moon....a Ute policeman, has visions of brutal murders. In her dream, it was raining blood...which means more than one murder.
Charlie Moon and his friend in law enforcement, Scott Parris, end up taking several trips between southwest Colorado and Wyoming to solve this case.
Some of the characters in this book are intriguing and myserious.
The plot even involves events that took place many years ago (1938). Mysticism plays
Janice
This series will help to fill the void left by the death of Tony Hillerman, one of favorite all time authors. This series takes place on the Ute reservation in southwest Colorado; Charlie Moon, the main character is a Ute tribal policeman. In this book he travels to wyoming as he works on a case involving murder and a stolen Indian relic. As Mr Hillerman did so well, James Doss developes his story while imparting a lot of information about the tribal culture, and with great descriptions of the s ...more
Cat
These are set in a fictional small town in Colorado, like Grand Junction. The main character is a widowed former Chicago cop, but he is paired up with a Ute tribal policeman (he is also chief of police in this city & has some kind of ESPish ability). Good stories that bring in a lot of Ute culture. In this one, the cops are involved in a crime that takes place in Wyoming, and then travels back to their area in Colorado.
Barbara Switzer
I had read a later book of Doss's (Dead Souls) and liked it. This earlier one is not as deftly told. I'll try some of the later ones rather than catch up on his first three.
Sandra Holladay
James Doss has crafted another intriguing book in his Charlie Moon series. The Shaman's Bones is full of humour and suspense (and yes, dark and horrible things as well - but handled well). The characters are wonderful, especially our three main ones, Charlie Moon, Scott Parris, and our ever favorite Daisey Perika; even the lesser characters are easy to relate to.
John
Good mystery that takes place on and around southern Ute Indian reservation. The characters are interesting. Some of the native American beliefs and customs are brought into the story making it more interesting for me.
Jeff Carpenter
This the third entry in the Charlie Moon series of adventures. Although I did not enjoy it nearly as much as the prior two, it was still a good solid mystery. Looking forward to book number four.
Harry Lane
Doss writes a fine tale. Can't decide whether it's realistic fantasy or fantastic realism, but in any case the characters are well drawn and engaging.
Peggy
Doss writes a great story. The only thing I'd change is I wouldn't spend 20 pages setting the scene when 10 would do;)
Leigh
The Shaman's Bones (Shaman Mysteries) by James D. Doss (1998)
Linda
I love all the books by this author!
I've read them twice!
Helen
very well told tale
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 04, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
good
Ghetonda mosleyshertzer
Ghetonda mosleyshertzer marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
J. Pedersen
J. Pedersen marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Winifred M Chikigak
Winifred M Chikigak is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2015
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • Coyote's Wife (Ella Clah, #13)
  • Cry Dance
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • Echoes
James Daniel Doss, recently retired from the technical staff of Los Alamos National Laboratory, now spends most of his time in a small cabin above Taos -- writing mystery fiction. He also travels to the fascinating locations where his stories take place, often camping in remote areas to absorb the impression of an Anasazi ruin, a deep canyon, an arid mesa, or a Sun Dance.

More about James D. Doss...

Charlie Moon (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1)
  • The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2)
  • The Shaman's Game
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6)
  • White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)
  • Dead Soul (Charlie Moon, #8)
  • The Witch's Tongue (Charlie Moon, #9)
  • Shadow Man (Charlie Moon, #10)
  • Stone Butterfly (Charlie Moon, #11)
The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1) Grandmother Spider (Charlie Moon, #6) The Shaman Laughs (Charlie Moon, #2) The Witch's Tongue (Charlie Moon, #9) White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)