Start by marking “The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)” as Want to Read:

The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #8)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,377 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The prince of Varania must find the royal badge of office, a jeweled silver spider, in order to be crowned. There's just one problem--the silver spider has been stolen! It's up to the Three Investigators to find the spider and save the prince from his deadly political enemies!
Hardcover, 1st, 184 pages
Published 1967 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Silver Spider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Silver Spider

Mark
2009 review - Following a near accident, the boys are invited to the principality of Varania, to help Prince Djaro discover the location of the fabled Silver Spider, which has been stolen. Bert Young, a secret service agent, also recruits them as it’s feared the Prince Regent is plotting to overthrow Djaro and make Varania a crooks paradise. Told at breakneck pace, this has high adventure, mystery, daring escapes, a couple of bumps on the head for Bob and a thrilling climax. Superb stuff.
2013 up
Anna Catharina
Für mich persönlich eines der schwächsten drei ???-Bücher. Die Story ist mir einfach zu sehr kinderbuchartig und unglaubwürdig. Ich bin zwar froh, dass die Übersetzerin die Handlung in eine "schwedische" Stadt in Texas übertragen hat, denn das Original (Handlungsort: kleines europäisches Fürstentum) wäre für mich noch abstruser gewesen, doch auch dieser Kniff konnte die wenig überzeugende Geschichte nicht retten.
Meldarion Sidhiel
I remember checking out several of these books from the school library and enjoying them in elementary school, but I'm having trouble remembering which ones I read.
I do remember this one, though.
Kevin
Not one of the better Three Investigators books. The boys spend much of this book in a foreign country, and they don't actually solve much of a mystery. The "bad guy" is known from the beginning; there's one question to be resolved and its answer is obvious, and the solution at the climax of the book was entirely predictable. In addition, the boys don't really do much on their own initiative, instead running about as other people or circumstances dictate. I love the Three Investigators series, b ...more
David
I'm a huge fan of the Three Investigators series. While not the worst book in the series, this is the worst one by it's original author Robert Arthur.

The plot, the story line and just everything about it are too far fetched, even for a Three Investigators book. The only real mystery in the book is hands down the easiest to solve beforehand of any of the books in the series and is just disappointing.

While the setting of the book is nice, and the action can be fun to follow, overall this book is a
Idea Smith
This is not one of the better 3 Investigators stories. Set in a fictitious European country called Varania, the boys uncover a political coup plot and help find the national heirloom, a silver spider. Varania sounds like a very limited fantasy of a European country full of cliched words and imagery ('quaint', 'picturesque', peerage and carnivals). The Prince of Varania barely enters the plot, despite being central to it. The only 3 Investigators worthy bit is when, outwitting the adults, they re ...more
Mark
Following a near accident, the boys are invited to the principality of Varania, to help Prince Djaro discover the location of the fabled Silver Spider, which has been stolen. Bert Young, a secret service agent, also recruits them as it’s feared the Price Regent is plotting to overthrow Djaro and make Varania a crooks paradise. Told at breakneck pace, this has high adventure, mystery, daring escapes, a couple of bumps on the head for Bob and a thrilling climax. Superb stuff.
Lance
One of the Prince's ancestor's had to go in hiding and when some "good" people hid him, a certain type of spider spun a web over the opening immediately afterwards. As a result, when soldiers searched the place, they saw the spiderweb and didn't bother to search the little hidey-hole. The spider was revered by the royal family ever since, making a silver replica of the spider that saved the dynasty. Now, Jupe must figure out who stole it and why.
Trey
This is my least favorite of the first eight Three Investigators novels. The setting jumps to the utterly unbelievable fake European country of Varania, and there is little deduction to the mystery. It's more like an action story with several timely coincidental interventions than a real mystery, and it even rips off an escape from Alfred Hitchcock's Solve-Them-Yourself Mysteries.
Dominika Kaníková
Great as always. But with this book happend the opposite thing that had happend to me previously. From Start to the half of the book i could concentrate and after that i just couldn´t. I think i need to rest from the reading ."DDD
Ryan Mishap
Someone tried to sell me on the superiority of The Hardy Boys recently, but I told them where they could stick that bovine secretion. The only formulaic, hack-written, kid detective schlock I love is The Three investigators.
Kolan
The best childhood series I read starting in the fourth grade. The best of the so called "syndicate Books" Reading them now brings back the memories and pleasure I had when reading them as a child.
Edward Pittman
Re-read a bunch of Three Investigators books to kids after reading these many years ago. Silver Spider is one of our favorites of the bunch, followed by the Stuttering Parrot.
David Tomashek
Looking for a dose of nostalgia while I work on my own mystery. This book is good for what it is... white boys adventure tales during America's second Gilded Age.
Jill
The silver spider is what kept me coming back to this book. I don't really care for spiders, but this one was different. If I remember right, it had ruby eyes, too.
Irwan
One of my favourite in the series which involve a piece of jewellery (the silver spider) most treasured by a fictional country in Europe, Varania. Exciting plot.
Jonathan
This is one of the best young adult mystery series, even 40+ years after they were begun. I found them more interesting and less predictable than Hardy Boys.
Charles
I loved this series when I was a kid and read every one our library had, which wasn't many. This was one of the best. This was my "Hardy Boys."
Verity
# 1 fav, edge-of-seat thriller, suspense, exciting & a web of intrigue, just like a movie. BFF w/ Varanian Prince.
Bayu Probo
Buku pertamaku Trio Detektif. Dibelikan adik ibuku yang mengharap ponakannya jadi cerdas.
Alba Rodriguez
i read this when i was 10 i think i liked it that much that i read all his books
Nuning Indani
I love it even though it's rather be an adventure story than a solving mystery
Aaron
A favorite book from a series I loved reading as a boy.
Markii
this is the first book i ever read as a kid. :)
Farida
Farida marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Mystery of the Headless Horse (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #26)
  • The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #15)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit
More about Robert Arthur...
The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1) The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2) The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3) The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4) The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)