Start by marking “Three Wishes: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Three Wishes: A Novel

Three Wishes: A Novel

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  45,250 Ratings  ·  3,409 Reviews
A New York Times bestseller, Three Wishes is the funny, heartwarming and completely charming first novel from Liane Moriarty, also the author of #1 New York Times bestsellers The Husband’s Secret and Big Little Lies.

Lyn, Cat, and Gemma Kettle, beautiful thirty-three-year-old triplets, seem to attract attention everywhere they go. Together, laughter, drama, and mayhem seem
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Three Wishes, please sign up.

Cora I don't think it really did have a mystery to it. There wasn't something that I was trying to figure out while I read... but I did think it was a…moreI don't think it really did have a mystery to it. There wasn't something that I was trying to figure out while I read... but I did think it was a great book and I still wanted to keep reading. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lizzy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Suzanne
I want to be a Kettle sister. Ha! But I’d do anything for some extra excitement. Nuff said. This is the author's debut. I don’t see that she has anything to improve on if I was to be honest! I just love her original stories, she's got a flair for it.

This one in particular shows me we are of the same era. I love when the books I read contain little tid bits of pop culture references that I can relate to and really bond with. Teletubies and Bananarama’s song ‘Venus’ being a couple of them. The Ket
Stephanie
Fun debut novel with quirky characters!

While I'm usually decisive, in this case, I waffled between rating Three Wishes 3 or 4 stars! In thinking about it, I wanted to offer the 4th star more based on how much I like this author -- instead of based on the merits of the book itself. While I was entertained, I didn't feel like this one was quite as wonderful as all of Liane Moriarty's other novels.

The best part of the book was the well-developed characters and their interactions. The focus of the
Cathrine ☯
My least favorite of the authors books. Three 33 year old twin sisters and their dramas with husbands, boyfriends, children, parents, and each other. It was like reading a three ring circus. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it in my own thirties when I was still drinking cosmopolitans. Perhaps a warning on the cover: Not for mature audiences; reader discretion is advised.
Phrynne
Jun 06, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really enjoyable and totally engaging book written in the author's customary style. Chapters are preceded by little anecdotes from strangers who view the main characters antics as outsiders. And then we get to meet all those lovely characters and, whether we love them or dislike them, discovering what happens to them becomes compulsive reading. If you enjoyed Big Little Lies then you will enjoy this too. I guess it does fall into the genre of Chick Lit but it is very good quality Chick ...more
Andrew Smith
Feb 05, 2016 Andrew Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Liane Moriarty. The ex-advertising copywriter delivers Sydney based tales featuring gritty women who have loud, forthright conversations and live complex, secret ridden lives. I’ve heard her output described as chic lit, but but this feels like a diminishment of what are uniformly snappy, funny and often hard hitting stories. My advice is grab one and judge for yourselves – if you’re not already a convert, that is.

In this book – her first – we are introduced to triplets, the Kettle
Kaora
May 20, 2015 Kaora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not my favorite Liane Moriarty.

This book follows a similar format as her other books with the book opening with a dramatic and very public argument in a restaurant as they celebrate their 33rd birthday together. The book then goes back to the events leading up to the big blowout to provide some context.

Having read quite a few Liane Moriarty the twists and turns in this book were predictable, and I felt like this is one of my least favorite of her books due to the ending. Moriarty is u
Carla Caruso
Jun 23, 2013 Carla Caruso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How have I only just properly discovered Aussie author Liane Moriarty? I loved this book, and can't believe it's her first novel (she now has many more under her belt) - it's so richly written.

I kept seeing Liane's name about the place, then was drawn to reading her debut tome as it's about triplet sisters and I'm preggers with twins. Well, I will definitely be searching out more of her titles.

The Kettle sisters depicted and their various partners, exes and rellies all seem so real and will 'li
Feb 22, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Things I generally try to avoid in my reading (aka why I generally don't read adult fiction/Very Serious Literature):
-Pregnancy
-Infidelity
-Infertility
-Divorce

Things this book prominently contains:
-Pregnancy
-Infidelity
-Infertility
-Divorce

And yet, a five star rating. 'Nuff said.
Vanessa
Jan 20, 2017 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
The characters the dialogue and the quirky situations make me wish I could jump right into this book and into their lives, such fun spirited characters, the story revolves around triplet sisters, they have a heathly or is that unhealthy? dependence on each other bordering on a love/hate relationship that brings the most bizarre and fun encounters which, having this book set in Sydney and surrounding suburbs makes it that much better, feeling ever so familiar. This is Liane Moriarty's debut book, ...more
Deanna
Jul 08, 2015 Deanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story about the Kettle triplets over the course of their thirty-third year. Cat, Gemma and Lyn Kettle are a strange sight when they are together and their lives take turns over the next year that no one could foresee.

Right from the beginning I was hooked as the book opens to the sisters celebrating their Thirty-fourth birthday. The story then jumps back to the previous year and all that has happened in the fascinating triplets lives.

The story is told from multiple perspectives. I found it
Julie
Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty is a 2016 Penguin publication. ( Originally published in 2003)

I had heard so much about Liane Moriarty I put several of her books on hold at the library a little while back. I read them as they became available, in no particular order. I love, love, love this author’s style of writing. But, while I cool my heels, still waiting on ‘Truly, Madly, Guilty” to become available, at my library, (llllooooonnnnnngggg wait!),I reached back deeper into the author’s backlisted
Ashley
Jan 09, 2017 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I normally love books by Liane Moriarty, and while Three Wishes was a fun and interesting book, it doesn't exactly hold up to the expectations I have for this author. I suppose I can forgive her since this was her debut novel.

I really liked the pace of this book. Stories that drag tend to bore me, as I'm sure they do most people. There was always something happening or some type of drama needing to be resolved in this story. I really particularly love how, at least in all of the stories I have
Andrea
Dec 02, 2008 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Three Wishes is a standalone novel written by the amazing Liane Moriarty. Based on publication dates, this title appears to be her first novel (at least her first book listed on goodreads). As good as Three Wishes is, I can honestly say she has gotten better and better with each novel.

Three Wishes follows three thirty-three-year-old triplet sisters and describes a year in their lives when their worlds are turned upside down. The way the story and POV's are set up creates some time hopping which
Susan Elizabeth Phillips
If you love “sister books” as I do, this is another winner from Moriarty.
Chachic
Originally posted here.

One of my goals this year is to do more readalongs because they're a lot of fun. I read Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty along with two good friends, Janice and Holly. I first discovered Liane Moriarty, Australian author of contemporary fiction, when I read What Alice Forgot last year. I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to read the rest of her books.

The cute cupcake cover for Three Wishes is deceiving. I thought I'd be reading a book about quirky triplets, something light
Sara
It is actually a 3.5 stars rounded up to 4.
I have some mixed feelings about this book, on one side, it gripped me from the start, and I liked reading it. I had difficulties putting it down, which is the good part. However, upon finishing it, I was left with a bittersweet after taste. This book made me nervous, and left me unsatisfied.
The writing style at the beginning is a bit confusing, but once you get used to it, it becomes enjoyable. It is the story of three twins, and the narrative perspect
Bonnie
Nov 03, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book I've read by Liane Moriarty and I think one of the reasons I've notched five stars for all of them is not because I necessarily 'enjoyed' reading them but because I couldn't stop thinking about them. "Three Wishes" also tackles uncomfortably sticky relationships with friends and siblings and spouses. My brain keeps spinning on 'what ifs' and how decisions we make spin off an impossibly intertwined sequence of events. As always, she succeeds in getting the readers to realiz ...more
Denise
Jul 14, 2016 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, easy read about triplets who are in their early thirties. Some laughs, a few sad moments, predicable summer read.
Siv30
Sep 05, 2016 Siv30 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
לין, קאת וג'מה הן שלישית אחיות בשנתן ה 33. שנה בה אירועים מכריעים קורים לשלושתן. בפרקים מתחלפים בין הדמויות העבר וההווה של האחיות משתלבים לסיפור פנורמי של אהבה וחברות אמיצים.

האם והאב התגרשו כשהיו צעירות. חייהן מתעצבים בצל הגירושים והצורך לנקוט עמדה ובצל האישיות של האחיות.

ספר שכתוב יפה, נוגע ללב באירועים השונים שחולפים בחיים של האחיות. אירועים יומיומיים שעוסקים במשפחה, ילדים, בעל, בגידות, התמודדות עם החיים.
Tania
Oct 14, 2014 Tania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
3.5 stars. A lot of people complain about formula writing, but every now and again (especially when I'm very busy) I enjoy picking up a book and knowing exactly what to expect. Three wishes did not dissapoint and I had loads of giggles and shed a tear or two, which is precisely what I wanted. I enjoyed reading about the relationship between the sisters, even if their personalities where a bit stereotyped, but my favorite character was the mom. A quick bit of escapism.

The Story: Lyn, Cat, and Gem
Rachel
Oct 04, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I was gonna say adored it but I'm not sure if it's a lifelong adoration or a moment in time adoration. But the important thing is I really enjoyed this title while I read it. It's especially relatable to those of us with weird dysfunctional families who mean well and laugh out loud funny while tackling serious moments in life. It's about the individual's lives but also the life of A FAMILY, despite little things like the parents (of the original family for the purpose ...more
Michelle
Attracting attention wherever they go, the triplets Gemma, Cat and Lyn Kettle couldn't be more different - or closer. Gemma is the flighty one and can't seem to hold onto a job, or a boyfriend to save her life. While sarcastic Cat has always been in control and ready to take charge especially when it comes to her job and her marriage. And organized Lyn seems to have it all: the career, the loving husband, and the kids. As these three independent yet devoted sisters get ready to celebrate their t ...more
Emily Lund
Jun 21, 2012 Emily Lund rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I choose to read this book because my local library is doing a reader choice awards and it was one of the previous years winners. Although I find that hard to believe that it won a reader's choice awards. Gemma is one of the Triplets that is lacking in the brains department, Lyn is the overachiever and Cat is the one on the brink of major meltdown. I get what they went through but the story kept bouncing back and forth between present and the past. It was like I was reading a story with ADHD. He ...more
Em
Mar 15, 2015 Em rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure entertainment. This book gave me many a laugh aloud moment. It was signature Moriarty, with different POVs starting from an exciting incident, and then going back and forth from the point. Triplets, Gemma (unidentical), Cat and Lyn (identical) come from a close knit, though whacky family, with divorced parents. They are different in their outlook, though very similar physically. This book narrates their lives - relationships, emotions, strives, interactions, outlook and almost everything el ...more
Lisa
Mar 19, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-author, audio
Loved this story of a year(ish) in the life of 33/34 year old triplets Lyn, Cat & Gemma. Great fun with plenty of tears and tantrums all weaved together in super sleek Moriarty style.
Love her books and although this is not in the same league as Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty or The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty it is a fab lighthearted read...love Nana!
Ruth Turner
Oct 04, 2014 Ruth Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I love the way Liane Moriarty writes, smooth and easy, light hearted and charming, and often very funny.

This story is told from different points of view, moving back and forwards between past and present, and interspersed with amusing recollections from people who have briefly entered the triplet’s orbit.

Once again, Moriarty has created wonderful characters that I could easily relate to. I found little pieces of me in this book, and the Sydney I grew up in. It made me feel quite nostalgic.

As wit
Shelagh Rice
This was my least favourite of Liane Moriarty's books. It is still an enjoyable read about triplets and their loves, lives, children, husbands, ups and downs and how they interact with each other, their quirky parents and grandmother. As each triplet is written in the first person it can be a bit confusing, and I did have to check a couple of times to see which one I was listening to. I loved What Alice Forgot and Big Little Lies so maybe my expectations were too high.
Cynthia Corral
Feb 10, 2016 Cynthia Corral rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version which was very well narrated, as Liane Moriarty books always are.
I'm becoming quite a fan of Moriarty's work. It's chick-lit without the fluffy nonsense. Her books always start out with a group of women, usually including at least one mother of the bunch as well. The women are usually each successful in at least one area of their lives: personal, professional, family, etc. Moriarty introduces the women to us and then proceeds to pick apart the walls of their perfe
Trish at Between My Lines

I liked it a lot but thought it lacked the substance of What Alice Forgot or Big Little Lies.

Still a fun book to listen to and the triplets are quirky and unforgettable.

I just love how effervescent all Liane Moriarty's characters are. They inject life with all its highs and lows into her stories and never fail to charm me. The sisters love each other fiercely but also fight like demons, as sisters do!

• Free-Falling
  • The Girl Most Likely
  • How Lucky You Are
  • Everyone Is Beautiful
  • After the Darkness
  • Beautiful Day
  • The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine, #2)
  • Hello From the Gillespies
  • Tempting Fate
  • The Divorce Party
  • It's About Your Husband
322069
Liane Moriarty is the Australian author of six internationally best-selling novels, Three Wishes, The Last Anniversary, What Alice Forgot, The Hypnotist's Love Story and the number 1 New York Times bestsellers, The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies.

Her breakout novel The Husband's Secret sold over three million copies worldwide, was a number 1 UK bestseller, an Amazon Best Book of 2013 and has
More about Liane Moriarty...

“It was always like that. They never said sorry. They just threw down their still-loaded weapons, ready for next time.” 6 likes
“There was something pathetic about the rejected wife bravely pulling herself together, joining a tennis club, doing a photography course, cutting her hair, venturing timidly back out onto the single scene.” 5 likes