Start by marking “Dog Diaries: Secret Writings of the WOOF Society” as Want to Read:
Dog Diaries: Secret Writings of the WOOF Society

Dog Diaries: Secret Writings of the WOOF Society

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  24 reviews
It is the first annual meeting of the WOOF Society. Dogs of all different backgrounds and breeds have gathered together to listen to the diaries of twelve dogs from around the world and throughout history. Abu is the ruler of ancient Egypt, but Miu, the Royal Cat, continues to challenge him, except at night. Tidbit, bornthe runt of the litter,becomes a star singer at the G ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Diaries

Teresa Scherping
Humans may think that dogs only know words like "sit" and "outside," but dogs actually have a lot more to say! The WOOF society has gathered to share the stories of dogs, past and present, from all around the world. There are stories of dogs from ancient Egypt, from the gold rush, and from Pompeii during the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. There's a dog worried about what his new family will name him, a dog who saves his family from a bank robber, and a dog who becomes a new mother to a pair of kitten ...more
Emily
A treat for storytelling-lovers as well as dog lovers (I don't count myself among the latter), Dog Diaries covers a meeting of the WOOF (Words Of Our Friends) Society, dogs devoted to growing an awareness of dogs' storytelling talents. The meeting is the frame for a series of monologues/stories from dogs both historical and contemporary. We hear from Abu, a dog of Ancient Egypt; Tidbit, a dog at the Grand Ol' Opry in the late 50s who's given his name by a nice lady named Dolly; Jip, who accompan ...more
Jubilee Harrold
who doesn't like little cute dog books
Matthew Meehan
In my opinion, this book is an instant classic. The illustrations are captivating and effective. They stories are informative and filled with historical events. Dog Diaries is a book that all children should be exposed to. THe book instantly reaches into the audiences heart, as most people has, or have had, a dog in which they ask themselves, "what are they truly thinking?". This book takes a creative twist to answers just what they are thinking -- in times of stress, joy, relief and others.
Kirby
I love, love, love Betsy Byars and I love, love, love dogs. So why didn't this book tickle my toes? The concept is great -- dogs getting together to talk about their unique accomplishments. But I missed a unifying thread to the stories and the personality that usually shines through in Betsy (and her daughters') work.

Loved the illustrations by Erik Brooks, however.
Amy
Did not like as much as the Cat version. Maybe just because we are cat fans?

Some of the stories were pretty cute but others are QUITE dramatic - armed robbery/forced entry/guns pointed (yikes), people dropping dead in Pompeii, boy blinded by injury in Civil War - more violent than I was expecting - so beware if you have a kid that is sensitive to that.
Sandra
Enter into the Secret Writings of the WOOF Society and the smile will never leave your face. This children's book is broken up into short chapters with a new story for each new dog it highlights. A read aloud for younger kids with cute pictures to spark their interests, but good for older kids too.
Kelli
Do dogs write diaries? If you want to know read this book! It's about all kinds of dogs gathering together and telling stories about their lives or their adventures. My favorite chapter is Mimi's guide to life because Mimi is a POODLE and I love POODLES! READ! THIS! BOOK!
Lorraine
A collection of stories by this society of dogs that gather together and read the stories they have written to one another. Some of the stories are hilarious. A very quick read, and fun for teachers to read two or three of the short stories to their class. Thee will howl!
Duane
A very cute book for dog lovers of any age. Filled with great illustrations, you get to learn who all are members of the secret WOOF sociey to dogs. Each chapter is a diary of a dog and you get to read their thoughts and daily life. A nice read for beginner readers.
Mary
I looked forward to reading this as I ADORED The SOS File. The stories were interesting and the premise was promising, but I was disappointed. I think some of my students will enjoy this, and it may be a helpful mentor text to show voice and perspective.
Tracie
Each chapter presents a story about dog during a different time period in history. I thought it was enjoyable and could be extended with map studies as well as informational books about different subjects like the explosion of Vesuvius.
VegasGal
Mar 03, 2009 VegasGal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids, dog lovers who enjoy cute stories
Shelves: read-2009
A very cute book for children and dog lovers like myself. The stories were sweet, funny and were just the right touch to involve a kid in dreaming about other lands where the dogs were from in the story.
Jiali Yu
People should not underestimate a dog's ability to think, read and write. They are humorous and smart!
Karen Arendt
A collection of fiction stories about experiences from a dog's perspective. Some humorous, some heartwarming.
Kwirebaugh
Ok, I know this is a child's book, but I love anything dog! It was really fun and I recommend reading it to any child.
Jan
Written as eerpts from the diaries of a dozen different dogs, but without an overall theme. Rather blah. Grades 3-5.
Beth
This would be a great read-aloud. Each chapter is its own story, told by a different dog.
Kari
Such a cute book! Kids will love reading about the adventures of the WOOF Society.
Josh
I liked this book enough to read it myself after my dad read me the first chapter.
Chase.curriculum
Assigned: 2011 Oct, EL310
2013 Sept/Oct, ELL/EL310
Gina
This is a good book for beginner chapter readers.
Elizabeth
an absolut grate book!!!
Annm
Really, really cute.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Oct 12, 2014
Romeokids
Romeokids marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...
The Summer of the Swans The Pinballs Tornado The Midnight Fox The SOS File