Blank-133x176
Chicken Soup for the M...

Jack Canfield

Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,331 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Admittedly, we sometimes become oversentimental about motherhood. But in a climate of rampant cynicism and family disintegration, stories about maternal love, courage, devotion, and triumph can be immensely comforting and inspiring. Contributors such as Dave Barry, Barbara Bush, Reba McIntire, Erma Bombeck, and Joan Rivers offer celebrity appeal. But even more heart coddli...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Health Communications, Inc. (first published 1997)

Leceyanti Aripurnomo
Dec 05, 2008 Leceyanti Aripurnomo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mothers and daugthers and sons and husbands
Very nice stories. Some are amazing stories, especially in the "Miracles" chapter.

I'm a new mother of a 4 months old daughter. Like many babies, it took a lot of energy to take care of my baby. There are many times when I felt very tired and thus not in the mood to play with my baby. When I read this book (and currently still reading it) the stories really touched me. It made me want to make my own special stories with my baby. The most important thing that I learned from this book is "to enjoy...more
Alyssa
Being agnostic, I enjoy these chicken soup books to a limited extent, a lot of the spiritual language frustrates me and gets in between me and the story, which I never enjoy. All in all, however, this book is thoroughly enjoyable and a very good read.
Sherry Kimball
I love this book already and believe that as I read my feelings about it will not change . I have heard from others that the name of these books is corny so they will not read them but they are missing out . I think the name fits them well because like chicken soup this book and the other ones I have read fill you with a warm feeling and have the ability of making you feel better if you don't feel so good . I have read previous chicken soup for the soul books and they all are unique but they are...more
The Bookish Squirrel
I love Erma's books! While other kids were sneakily reading the latest issue of Batman or Archie & Veronica comic books between the pages of their schoolbooks during class I was trying not to get caught laughing too loudly at the pages of the latest book by humorist author Erma Bombeck. Its safe to say that I grew up with her books and her name, and stories, just like V.C. Andrews', another author I grew up reading, brings back a lot of good reading memories. Erma, and her writing, will be d...more
Jeffrey
Got this one for my mom at a Mark Victor Hansen seminar. He signed my book and I told him my goal. We had been asked earlier to write it down. I told him mine was to influence more people and sell more books than MVH. He laughed. Only time will tell. Anyway, the book. He's sold millions of these colletions of stories. They've gotten pretty specific. Last week I saw one that was titled Chicken Soup for the Teenager Who Was Last Seen Walking on 4th Street Downtown LA at 3 p.m. on Monday, July 14th...more
Sylvia
Some humorous, some inspirational, some extremely sad.
Alexandra
One of the best books I have read lately. Nothing is more important than your mother.

I bought this book for my mother. Here, in Romania, March 8th is Mother`s Day, so I thought it`s the best present for her: we both love books.

Because I`m pregnant with my first child I was intrigued by this book, so I started reading it. I was crying and laughing, all at the same time.

Every story brings something new and I couldn't let it go until it was finished.

Simply superb!
Dee Toomey
Al with other "Chicken Soup for..." books, I really enjoyed these short stories, poems and essays. This one happens to focus on mothers...especially the special nature of a mother's love. There are moments of joy, grief and sadness, and a plethera of other emotions that ran through me as I read. Being a mother myself, I could relate to all that was written, and I think mothers everywhere would enjoy reading this book.
Ruby
The short stories remind us what sacrifices mothers sometimes make when trying to do the best for our children. Motherhood isn't easy, but this book is a reminder that the end result is worth the journey. My only complaint about this was that it was too short! I plan to one day read the "full serving", but this was a nice way to break up the frustration that life can bring.
Brittany Perry
I love chicken soup. When you are frustrated read one it helps. This one helps me when being a mother reaches that point where you just want to cry. The moments when an infant isn't sleeping well or being fussy is when I break this book out in the few quiet moments. It soothes my mind and makes me remember why I wanted to have children in the first place.
Carolee
A thoughful gift from my kids ( ages 2 & 7 at the time - do I have a great husband, or what!?) for Mother's Day. I think I may even have slurped some chicken noodle soup while reading (it is one of those one-handed books ... ya know - not too big, not too thick, larger print) and both were heartwarming and M mmm good.
Jan
My son gave me this book for Mother's Day back in l997 and I read it then -- and have read it again. The heartfelt stories about becoming a mother, having a mother, becoming a grandmother, losing your mother, etc., are all inspirational and touching and can't help but bring a smile to your face or a tear to your eye.
Vicky
A great book. Lots of reasurace for Mum's both new and not so new. Some stories will make you knod your head in recognition of the story, others will bring a tear to your eye. Nevertheless - well worth grabbing a copy for all Mums
Michel
Grab a tissue box. This has some heart warming stories that will leave you teary-eyed. It had too many religious anecdotes for my taste, but it was still a good read. Particularly fitting book to peruse on my maternity leave :o)
Rohine
Real lovely collection of the portrayal of every mother's soul and the perspective with which the children have understood their mothers...final conclusion: Hats off to every motherly soul and the soul within every mother
Tazma52
This had a lot of short stories that I could personally relate too. Nice short stories. If you are looking for something inspirational and had a hard day and not looking for something to long this one is a keeper
Amanda Klich
I don't care for this series but I got this particular title as a gift from my aunt after having my son. I could barely put it down after I got into it. I'm not into short stories or whatnot but this is the exception.
Cam
Dec 10, 2008 Cam added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I have been working on this book for a few weeks, just reading little stories while my girls are bathing. There are some simple, sweet stories- things like this are always a good pick-me-up for a mom.
Denise
I like these types of books. I thought this one was great. Wonderful stories. I would have liked this book even before I had children and I love it, I think more, since I now have 2 kids. A must read.
Mona
A rearrangement of other Chicken Soup for the Soul more specific to mother/child relationship. Heartwarming to read during pregnancy and throughout your child's(ren's) growing years into parenthood.
iyan dhiannia
Aug 08, 2008 iyan dhiannia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
ehm [pokoknya bagus banget nhe buku...banyak kisah" yang menyentuh gimana para ibu" meluapkan kasih sayang pada keluraga..jadi ingat ma umi..betapa berwarnanya kalo jadi ibu...he he kapan yach..
Nifferjen10
I just love the 'Chicken Soup' series. These stories really are nourishment for the soul. Some of them make me cry, and others give me warm fuzzies. Okay, so maybe they're not all true but so what.
Marissa
An excellent read. These stories are not only true, but moving and inspiring. I kept thinking about my mother and how much of a blessing she is. And how much I appreciate her. Loved this book!
Martha
A few of the stories touched me (ok, made me cry) but most are kind of sticky sweet, not exactly how I feel about motherhood at all times! I find the same idea for most of the chicken soup books.
Sririyanti
Oct 12, 2007 Sririyanti rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: semua yang merasa menjadi ibu
Menjadi ibu yang baik tidak mudah, ada banyak saat kamu akan merasa bersalah karena tidak bisa menjadi seoerti yang diinginkan. Penuhi dirimu dengan cinta agar bisa terpancar ke segala penjuru.....
Sondang
I read all the chicken soup collection, and my favourite is the first until the forth edition, and this mother's soul .
Especially in the days when you are pregnant, it keeps my eyes watery :p
Jade Gagnon
What i really love are that these people had real expirence with the events and the hilarious comics!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------jade______________________________________
Siti Nurhardianti
Baca ini pas banget pas masa-masa awal punya bayi. subhanallah.. ceritanya sukses bikin cengar-cengir, senyam-senyum, terharu, sampai nangis bombay.. btapa menjadi ibu itu luar biasaaa..
Iftin Jolie
Buku yang gue beli buat hadiah ultah nyokap, tapi akhirnya malah gue sendiri yang baca. komentar nyokap waktu gue kasi buku ini "chicken soup? jadi ibu di suruh belajar masak sop?"
Rosa
As a mother and a daughter the book made me laugh and it made me cry but most of all it made me miss my mother who always brought me home made chicken soup when I was ill.
Good book 3 11 May 09, 2012 07:55PM
  • Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family
  • Pelajaran Berharga (Chicken Soup for the Soul Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Life on the Edge
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • The Dance of Fear: Rising Above Anxiety, Fear, and Shame to Be Your Best and Bravest Self
  • Lonely Planet: Japan
  • The Trouble With Lacy Brown (Mule Hollow, #1)
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Life's Little Instruction Book: 511 Suggestions, Observations, and Reminders on How to Live a Happy and Rewarding Life
  • Karenamu Aku Cemburu: Curahan Hati Seorang Istri
  • Diana: Her New Life
  • Rumspringa: To Be or Not to Be Amish
  • Settling (Solid, #2)
  • Garis Batas: Perjalanan di Negeri-Negeri Asia Tengah
  • Blood, Bones and Body Bits
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Toddlers

Canfield received a BA in Chi...more
More about Jack Canfield...
Chicken Soup for the Soul Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul The Success Principles(TM): How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul II Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Women (Chicken Soup for the Soul)