Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Chicken Soup for the M...

Jack Canfield

Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,479 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Admittedly, we sometimes become oversentimental about motherhood. But in a climate of rampant cynicism and family disintegration, stories about maternal love, courage, devotion, and triumph can be immensely comforting and inspiring. Contributors such as Dave Barry, Barbara Bush, Reba McIntire, Erma Bombeck, and Joan Rivers offer celebrity appeal. But even more heart coddli ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Health Communications, Inc. (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul

Leceyanti Aripurnomo
Dec 05, 2008 Leceyanti Aripurnomo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mothers and daugthers and sons and husbands
Very nice stories. Some are amazing stories, especially in the "Miracles" chapter.

I'm a new mother of a 4 months old daughter. Like many babies, it took a lot of energy to take care of my baby. There are many times when I felt very tired and thus not in the mood to play with my baby. When I read this book (and currently still reading it) the stories really touched me. It made me want to make my own special stories with my baby. The most important thing that I learned from this book is "to enjoy
Alyssa
Apr 29, 2013 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being agnostic, I enjoy these chicken soup books to a limited extent, a lot of the spiritual language frustrates me and gets in between me and the story, which I never enjoy. All in all, however, this book is thoroughly enjoyable and a very good read.
Sherry Kimball
Dec 18, 2010 Sherry Kimball rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book already and believe that as I read my feelings about it will not change . I have heard from others that the name of these books is corny so they will not read them but they are missing out . I think the name fits them well because like chicken soup this book and the other ones I have read fill you with a warm feeling and have the ability of making you feel better if you don't feel so good . I have read previous chicken soup for the soul books and they all are unique but they are ...more
Stephanie Larson
Dec 13, 2014 Stephanie Larson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good easy-read book for doctor appointments and such, as each brief chapter is a new story. The first part of the book was great, but the last 1/3 or so was stories about mother's who dealt with death of children or vice versa.....NOT feel-good stories as this purports to be!
Peris
Jan 21, 2015 Peris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You never really get to say you are done reading a Chicken Soup Edition.It keeps you reaching back for it just for that heartwarming true story again before you tuck in for a good night's sleep.I read on,re-reading,re-reading...
Lisa
Sep 24, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books in the Chicken Soup series, and as a mother, this one really warmed my soul. I laughed, cried, and thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It is a great series, that appeals to a wide audience.
Ami E. Bowen
Jan 20, 2012 Ami E. Bowen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Erma's books! While other kids were sneakily reading the latest issue of Batman or Archie & Veronica comic books between the pages of their schoolbooks during class I was trying not to get caught laughing too loudly at the pages of the latest book by humorist author Erma Bombeck. Its safe to say that I grew up with her books and her name, and stories, just like V.C. Andrews', another author I grew up reading, brings back a lot of good reading memories. Erma, and her writing, will be d ...more
Jeffrey
Jul 04, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-fiction
Got this one for my mom at a Mark Victor Hansen seminar. He signed my book and I told him my goal. We had been asked earlier to write it down. I told him mine was to influence more people and sell more books than MVH. He laughed. Only time will tell. Anyway, the book. He's sold millions of these colletions of stories. They've gotten pretty specific. Last week I saw one that was titled Chicken Soup for the Teenager Who Was Last Seen Walking on 4th Street Downtown LA at 3 p.m. on Monday, July 14th ...more
SouthWestZippy
Can't go wrong with Chicken soup. Some stories I love, Some I liked a overall a good read.
Kanomi Okina
LOVED THE BOOK! It makes me want to become a mother even more, even if it means adopting a child.
Patsy Henry
Sep 01, 2015 Patsy Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mothers
Loved all the personal stories that truly will lift your spirits.
Serap
Jan 16, 2016 Serap rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
Alexandra
Mar 04, 2013 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read lately. Nothing is more important than your mother.

I bought this book for my mother. Here, in Romania, March 8th is Mother`s Day, so I thought it`s the best present for her: we both love books.

Because I`m pregnant with my first child I was intrigued by this book, so I started reading it. I was crying and laughing, all at the same time.

Every story brings something new and I couldn't let it go until it was finished.

Simply superb!
Dee Toomey
Feb 27, 2010 Dee Toomey rated it really liked it
Al with other "Chicken Soup for..." books, I really enjoyed these short stories, poems and essays. This one happens to focus on mothers...especially the special nature of a mother's love. There are moments of joy, grief and sadness, and a plethera of other emotions that ran through me as I read. Being a mother myself, I could relate to all that was written, and I think mothers everywhere would enjoy reading this book.
Ruby
Feb 03, 2011 Ruby rated it really liked it
The short stories remind us what sacrifices mothers sometimes make when trying to do the best for our children. Motherhood isn't easy, but this book is a reminder that the end result is worth the journey. My only complaint about this was that it was too short! I plan to one day read the "full serving", but this was a nice way to break up the frustration that life can bring.
Brittany Perry
Mar 18, 2013 Brittany Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love chicken soup. When you are frustrated read one it helps. This one helps me when being a mother reaches that point where you just want to cry. The moments when an infant isn't sleeping well or being fussy is when I break this book out in the few quiet moments. It soothes my mind and makes me remember why I wanted to have children in the first place.
Melissa
Jul 14, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit, this book is a bit sappy, but it makes me cry and appreciate this crazy, chaotic adventure called motherhood. It's a good book to pull out on frustrating days, for a bit of inspiration and a renewed appreciation. It's a nice, short, easy read that you can put down and come back to or finish and reread over again.
Carolee
Jul 28, 2011 Carolee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoughful gift from my kids ( ages 2 & 7 at the time - do I have a great husband, or what!?) for Mother's Day. I think I may even have slurped some chicken noodle soup while reading (it is one of those one-handed books ... ya know - not too big, not too thick, larger print) and both were heartwarming and M mmm good.
Jan
Aug 28, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-copy
My son gave me this book for Mother's Day back in l997 and I read it then -- and have read it again. The heartfelt stories about becoming a mother, having a mother, becoming a grandmother, losing your mother, etc., are all inspirational and touching and can't help but bring a smile to your face or a tear to your eye.
Gabriela Gómez
Jul 16, 2015 Gabriela Gómez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sopa de pollo

Elegí la calificación de 5 estrellas porque este libro en realidad me llegó al alma. Me hizo llorar y reír con los bellos relatos que tiene. Recomiendo este libro a todas las personas para que se den cuenta de todo lo q una madre hace por sus hijos
Vicky
May 18, 2012 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
A great book. Lots of reasurace for Mum's both new and not so new. Some stories will make you knod your head in recognition of the story, others will bring a tear to your eye. Nevertheless - well worth grabbing a copy for all Mums
Michel
Oct 27, 2013 Michel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grab a tissue box. This has some heart warming stories that will leave you teary-eyed. It had too many religious anecdotes for my taste, but it was still a good read. Particularly fitting book to peruse on my maternity leave :o)
Rohine
Apr 17, 2013 Rohine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real lovely collection of the portrayal of every mother's soul and the perspective with which the children have understood their mothers...final conclusion: Hats off to every motherly soul and the soul within every mother
Tazma52
Jun 09, 2009 Tazma52 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This had a lot of short stories that I could personally relate too. Nice short stories. If you are looking for something inspirational and had a hard day and not looking for something to long this one is a keeper
Amanda Klich
May 04, 2013 Amanda Klich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't care for this series but I got this particular title as a gift from my aunt after having my son. I could barely put it down after I got into it. I'm not into short stories or whatnot but this is the exception.
Melissa
Dec 31, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy all of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books including this one. The stories are encouraging and inspirational. I have saved this on my "keep" bookshelf.
The stories really touched me.
Cam
Dec 10, 2008 Cam added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I have been working on this book for a few weeks, just reading little stories while my girls are bathing. There are some simple, sweet stories- things like this are always a good pick-me-up for a mom.
Denise
Jul 20, 2008 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like these types of books. I thought this one was great. Wonderful stories. I would have liked this book even before I had children and I love it, I think more, since I now have 2 kids. A must read.
Mona
Mar 31, 2009 Mona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rearrangement of other Chicken Soup for the Soul more specific to mother/child relationship. Heartwarming to read during pregnancy and throughout your child's(ren's) growing years into parenthood.
iyan dhiannia
Aug 08, 2008 iyan dhiannia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
ehm [pokoknya bagus banget nhe buku...banyak kisah" yang menyentuh gimana para ibu" meluapkan kasih sayang pada keluraga..jadi ingat ma umi..betapa berwarnanya kalo jadi ibu...he he kapan yach..
wonderful personal stories 1 1 Aug 28, 2015 11:32AM
Good book 3 11 May 09, 2012 07:55PM
  • Catatan Hati Bunda
  • Hadiah Terindah (Chicken Soup for the Soul Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Smart Women Know When to Say No
  • Teen Love: On Relationships - A Book for Teenagers
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family
  • Chicken Soup
  • God Is in the Small Stuff... And It All Matters
  • Musings of a 20-Something Mom, and the Perils of being a Mommy Blogger
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • The Trouble With Lacy Brown (Mule Hollow, #1)
  • Untuk Indonesia yang Kuat: 100 Langkah Untuk Tidak Miskin
  • Settling (Solid, #2)
  • Life on the Edge: A Young Adult's Guide to a Meaningful Future
  • Impressionists
  • The Russian Century: A History of the Last Hundred Years
  • Chocolate for a Woman's Soul: 77 Stories to Feed Your Spirit and Warm Your Heart

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...