A Rather Remarkable Homecoming

A Rather Remarkable Homecoming (Penny Nichols #4)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  49 reviews

Join the fun and frolic with American heiress Penny Nichols and her English hero Jeremy Laidley, as the adventurous couple sets off for more elegant travel and delightful sleuthing together!

Penny and Jeremy are just returning from their honeymoon, only to be greeted by eccentric friends of Prince Charles bearing a rather royal request: to rescue a historical village on t

Published September 6th 2011 by NAL Trade

Linda
This series is one of the best that I've ever read! I'm sad that this is the 4th and last title and hope that the author is writing more.

In this story Penny & Jeremy are summoned to Cornwall at the suggestion of none other than H.R.H. Prince Charles to help the town people save Grandmother Beryl's cottage and lands from being bought up by a conglomerate that plans on putting in a luxury resort which will ruin the countryside and put the local businesses out. The couple have a special place...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
This series has much to recommend it and seems to get better with each book. Cornwall is a wonderful setting for a mystery; it has so much history and legend attached to the area. Penny and Jeremy have a large assortment of very colorful relatives and friends to assist them, and their history with this particular house, make it imperative they save it. The inhabitants of the village are equally colorful, and the developers make for some excellent villains. I am sure you will enjoy reading this e...more
Anna Huber
I am a big fan of C.A. Belmond's "Rather" series. They are light and fun, and she always transports her readers to the most interesting destinations. This fourth entry in the series is no exception. The book certainly stands on its own, but for anyone new to the series I would still recommend beginning with Book 1, A Rather Lovely Inheritance, or you'll miss out on all the enjoyment of watching Penny and Jeremy progress to this point in their relationship and their lives.

Rachel Rogers
Another delightful little detective romp around Europe. Penny and Jeremy are back from their honeymoon to discover that another "case" has been sent their way by Prince Charles. They are off to Cornwall to try and save their grandmother's house (no longer in the family) from destruction to make way for an uber-resort. Quick, fun read.
John
C A Belmond's entertaining tales of the evolving lives of the interesting and intelligent Penny Nichols and Jeremy Laidley rank at the top of my enjoyment scale. Do yourself a favor and read the series in order.
Sep 03, 2011 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Yay!! A new one! :)
Kaye

Having never read this author before, I was not sure what to expect but the word "Cornwall" grabbed my attention right away. For some reason, I love stories set there even though I've never seen it. The location conjures up vivid images of rocky cliffs, pounding waves, shipwrecks and smugglers. Heady stuff!

What I found was a most delightfully witty story with a tremendous amount of atmosphere, a fun adventurous mystery and fantastic characters. Penny and Jeremy have been likened to Nick and Nor...more
Romancing the Book
Aubrey received a review copy from the publisher in exchange for her honest review, which was first posted at romancing-the-book.com

I found it very hard to get into this novel. I’m not sure if it is because it is the fourth in the series and I didn’t know the background of the characters or the love story of Penny and Jeremy. I usually love books that are based on the premise of this novel. I just felt that the characters were all over the place. I enjoyed the dialogue between all the character...more
Brett
Belmond's "Rather" series is just good fun - it's light, fluffy, charming escapism. Is it really common for anyone to have a vast inheritance flung in their lap including gorgeous vintage cars & amazingly beautiful homes in suitably exotic European locales? Not really, but it's damned fun to read about & imagine. The antiques & local history certainly doesn't hurt either, as far as I'm concerned. Penny Nichols is such an unassumingly likable girl-next-door that you can't help but be...more
adlin
This is the fourth book in this series and I really enjoyed it. Penny and Jeremy return from their honeymoon only to find they have a request from Prince Charles himself and it involves Grandmother Beryl’s house.

The house is in danger of being razed and a local historical society, with some pull with HRM, is trying to save it. The house is located in Cornwall, so off Penny and Jeremy head to Cornwall. There they discover the house has secrets as do some of the locals.

While in Cornwall, they re...more
Bunny
This is the last in the series of Penny Nichols and Jeremy Laidley mysteries--so, far! I'm hoping there are more to come. Enjoyable reading when you just want to be entertained, with lovely settings and colorful characters.
Lynda
Another delightful episode in the adventures of Penny Nichols and husband Jeremy Laidley. This book is a light read where you know it will all work out by the end. Penderwicks for adults. Just back from their honeymoon, Penny and Jeremy must travel to Cornwall in hopes of finding a way to keep Penny's grandmother's old estate from being sold to developers. They investigate links to Shakespeare and environmental preservation. My only complaint about this series is that Penny often sounds like she...more
Lida
This was not my favorite of the "A Rather..." series. Maybe it's because it's a little predictable and very formulaic? Or that the author explained some of the more common elements of the Arthurian legend in simple terms that made me wonder if the target audience of this book was 12-year olds? The events in this book seemed tenuously connected and far-fetched. I am struggling not to compare it to the earlier books and saying more far-fetched, because, let's face it, this is cute escapist chick l...more
Parricia Holland
Fun light hearted reading. Interesting series that is being shared by our quilting bee, no it is not another quilt story.
Krista Mercer
It does seem a bit odd to classify a book both as "chick lit" and "mystery," but that's exactly what this cozy little series manages to accomplish. Penny Nichols (yes, really) and her husband, Jeremy Laidley, return from their honeymoon to greeted by a royal command: HRH Prince Charles insists they investigate the real estate shenanigans surrounding a historic village in Cornwall. And since that just happens to be where Penny's late grandmother lived, how can she say no? Add in Celtic legend, a...more
Roseyreads
I have always enjoyed each of Belmond's "Rather.." books. They are just fun I do learn about different artistic subjects and also European places that I have never visited. If she writes another book I'll definitely read it.
Carolyn Hill
I'd like to give it 3 1/2 stars, but didn't feel quite like rounding up to 4. I'm in a stingy mood, I guess. This is a fun romp in Cornwall with an irresistibly charming heroine. The danger never feels particularly threatening, the suspense has little tension, and as for romance, well the protagonist is already married, but that's OK for this light cozy version of romantic suspense.
Erin
I was really into this series, but by the fourth book everything just seemed a little too predictable. I love the characters. But the plot seems to be the same over and over again. It took me a bit longer to get through this one; whereas I couldn't seem to put the first three down. Overall, I like the series, but this one was a bit too slow and repetitive for me.
Enjoyable book to read on vacation and at the airport. Nothing too deep, just a couple in England having an adventure. Will definitely look into the other books of this series for more lighthearted reading.
Chi Dubinski
Wealthy newlyweds Penny Nichols and Jeremy Laidley are approached by a friend of Prince Charles, who would like their help determining whether a historic property was connected to William Shakespeare. Fans of rich, sophisticated sleuthing couples (Nick and Nora Charles, Harriet Vane and Lord Peter Wimsey) would enjoy this series.
K. East
Another pleasant caper for the married sleuths -- a 3.5 or better. I still love best the descriptions of their travels and their dinners. Clearly there are more adventures coming, given the way this one ended. I'll look forward to those when they are published. If you can't live rich, it's fun to read about that life.
P Arteaga
Another solid entry in the series. A bit of romance and a bit of mystery - as with the other books in the series, Penny and Jeremy keep me smiling as they work through each new twist. I also like how we learn a bit more about them and their colorful family with each book.
Teri
I really love this series! I listened to the previous ones, but this one was not offered on Audible, and I really wanted to continue Penny and Jeremy's story, so I purchased on kindle. Fun story.I love the history lessons and great locations that are visited in these novels.
Michelle
Another charming book in the C.A. Belmond series. I enjoyed this one, though I thought the royal touch was a little cheesy and unecessary. Still, it was a cute, fun read, and I look forawrd to the next in the series...especially now that they have Sir Francis :-)
Helen
The third installment of the Rather Remarkable series. Just good fun. Easy and interesting to read. Nothing serious here but great for a day at the lake, beach, on a plane, in the car.....
Janga
This has become one of my favorite series, and even though I didn't like this one as well as the first, I found it a relaxing, engaging read with characters for whom I've developed an affection.
Nancy
I have enjoyed this series from the beginning and this latest installment was equally entertaining. There is enough new changes in characters, plots and setting to keep this fun to read.
Kristen
This is another solid addition to the 'Rather' series by C. A. Belmond. I've enjoyed them all and this is just a continuation of characters I love, living a life that I would love to love.
Kathy Rogers
I've enjoyed this series so much. Mildly suspenseful mysteries and people who are so, so interesting. I chose to overlook the author pulling members of the royal family into the story.
Jeralyn lovell
Enjoyed every minute ofthe fourth book. Lovex the sentimental saving of grandmas house, the bootleggers, romantic figure that lost her love at sea and the celtic conne tion.
  • Village Centenary (Fairacre, #15)
  • Wish You Were Here
  • The Explorer's Code: A Novel
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • The Out of Office Girl
  • Death, Taxes, and Extra-Hold Hairspray (Tara Holloway, #3)
  • The Wedding Shawl (Seaside Knitters, #5)
  • Buried in a Bog (County Cork, #1)
  • Ghost in Trouble (Bailey Ruth, #3)
  • An Irish Country Courtship (Irish Country #5)
  • My Perfect Wedding (Helen Grey, #2)
  • Postscript from Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #7)
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • School of Fortune
  • Midnight Girls
  • Codename: Dancer
  • Wild Strawberries
A Rather Lovely Inheritance A Rather Curious Engagement A Rather Charming Invitation (Penny Nichols, #3) Erbin sucht Traummann