Start by marking “Ryan's Return” as Want to Read:
Ryan's Return

Ryan's Return

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,697 Ratings  ·  302 Reviews
Famous photojournalist Ryan Hunter has come back to a family torn apart by mistrust and resentment — to the father who disowned him, to the brother who betrayed him, to the little boy who shares his features. Ryan, the charismatic “bad boy” son, has returned — stirring up past conflicts like a whirlwind…and throwing Kara Delaney’s fragile, passionate heart into turmoil.

Kar
Published March 30th 2012 by Barbara Freethy (first published October 28th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Ryan's Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ryan's Return

Krystal
Jan 23, 2013 Krystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful... Absolutely beautiful.
The topics covered in the story reminds you the true meaning of life and family. Every one makes mistakes and change comes for better or worse.

"Everything changes, but in a lot of ways it stays the same."

".... Do you believe in ghosts?...I believe in love, and I think it lives on forever"

I couldn't put this book down. The characters where brought to life as the pages turned. Ryan, oh Ryan.. What he went through along with his brother, Andrew, his father Jonas
Toya
Mar 17, 2012 Toya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Got this for free on Amazon (kindle)!!! :o
And I loved it!
Plenty heated romance, naughty scandal,secrets,and tragedy even a ghost. Yep I said Ghost... Former small town bad boy turned world famous photographer Ryan Hunter has been invited back to the last place he ever thought he'd return to. Home.
Still he is curious to see if his family still hate him, if his town is still the same and possibly if he can stir up a little trouble. But his real intent he isn't even aware of. He really wants hi
Shannon
In a group I'm in we're doing a "challange" to go into your tbr pile and read a book that has been there awhile. Well this was the second book I ever down-loaded when I first got the Kindle App on my phone...January 2, 2012!

This book kind of has a Nora Robertsish feel to it for me, I really enjoyed it. It has romance, family drama, small town politics, and even a little paranormal aspect thrown in.

If you're looking for a sweet, tug-at-your-heartstrings, easy read this is it!
Simone Wilson
Jan 05, 2016 Simone Wilson rated it it was amazing
Sometime Forming Our Truths Can Blind Us To Reality

What an exhilarating read! I loved the characters each believing in their knowledge of the truth. Truths that in actuality were misjudgment that they allowed to rule their lives. The river for me actually became a living breathing person that controlled ,guided , destroyed and finally brought understanding and love to the characters in the story.The bonds between father and sons , mother's and daughters were so real and heartrenching that you co
Pam
Sep 11, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryan’s Return is by Barbara Freethy. This novel is one of her best so far. I simply could not stop reading it. It has romance, suspense, mystery, and humor all wrapped up in one binding. The plot twists and turns as does life. The characters are realistic like the people we meet every day.
Ryan Hunter has come home to Serenity Springs at the request of Kara Delaney and her centennial committee. He is a well-known photographer and is usually gone on projects. He has no desire to return home at fi
Lisa
Feb 03, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am giving all of Freethy's books four stars because they kept me intrigued enough to keep reading. She is very formulaic...the woman all have red hair, for example, the man always has some silly reason why he is never going to love again (no way, no how) but she is also a good story teller and manages to draw you in despite the fact you know EXACTLY what is going to happen, in a happily ever after kind of way!
Folasade
Aug 09, 2012 Folasade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was surprisingly well written considering the fact that it was free for kindle. The story was quaint and easy to read. I found the characters conventional but also quite likable. Overall I found the book really enjoyable, it allowed me to escape into the Serenity Springs with the characters. :)
Dorretta Hunter
May 14, 2012 Dorretta Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on my Kindle Fire. It's my first Barbara Freethy book. I did get a sample of The Sweetest Thing to read. I enjoyed Freethy writing. It's the typical romance writing, however with a twist of an angel siting of sorts in Ryan's Return. If you enjoy romance books, you'll enjoy these books.
Valerie
Feb 03, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book I thought, uh oh this is not starting well, but I remembered the good rule, you must read at least 100 pages before you put it down. It didn't take long and I was hooked. Very interesting story with a little mystery. Really easy fun read.
Dana Sahm
Jan 01, 2012 Dana Sahm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read romance novels, but picked this one up free on Amazon for Kindle. Although the story line wasn't very believable, the emotions of love, loss and family were. It was a enjoyable, light and quick weekend read.
Gemma
Feb 03, 2012 Gemma rated it it was amazing
A kindle free book. Really enjoyed reading it. About a small town with secrets, and everyone trying not to be like their parents before them. But some secrets aren't what they seem,
Jennifer Scherzinger
Such a delightful surprise!!! I couldn't stop reading......family isn't defined by genes, DNA, blood....rather by the love you have for another. What a wonderful read!!
I enjoy Freethy's characters, their progression and believability, but I don't know how much I like the paranormal aspect of some stories because she isn't an author I associate with paranormal writing so it always catches me off guard. This story is definitely an accurate portrayal of family disputes-at least in my experience- and I love that there wasn't a "one sentence panacea" that suddenly fixed everything and everyone's opinion. The road to understanding was rocky, required introspection a ...more
Robin
Mar 12, 2011 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this book for $2.99 from nookbooks. Entertaining.
♥Jamie
May 29, 2014 ♥Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryan's Return was a great addition to my Barbara Freethy collection. Her writing always draws me in, and I just fall into the story with the characters seamlessly. Ryan's Return is a standalone novel about family, forgiveness, and love.

Summary:
Ryan Hunter hasn't been home in twelve years. He's traveled the world, near and far, but the one place he should always feel safe and secure, wanted, is the place he despises most. Having left Serenity Springs an angry, know-it-all boy, the man is about to
Amy A
Jan 26, 2012 Amy A rated it liked it
I got this Kindle book when it was offered for free for a period of time. I thought that it was a quick, cute read. There was nothing really new about it. The "black-sheep" son returns a successful photographer to the home town he abandoned after twelve years. To find the animosity his family felt when he left is still brewing.

This book was a little irritating in the fact that it was never really stated why everyone was so angry at Ryan for leaving. At least I didn't read it. Maybe I skipped ov
Kathy Schultz
Ryan Hunter, an accomplished and famous photojournalist,returns to his small home town in CA at the invitation of Kara Delaney, president of the Chamber of Commerce. She and her daughter Angel have recently come back after Kara's divorce. She has redecorated her aunt's home by the river and made it into an inn. In an effort to generate some business for the small community, she has invited Hunter to speak and be honored at the town's centennial celebration.

However, there are many in Serenity Spr
Hannah Fielding
Jan 22, 2013 Hannah Fielding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love the description and personification of the river in this book:

‘She’s just like a woman… She gives life, brings peace, and nurtures the land. And when she is angry, all hell breaks loose.’

‘I haven’t seen her this fast in years. She’s roaring with passion.’
Every character in this story has been affected by the river in some way; consequently, some love it, some loathe it. Either way, the river holds the key to the many mysteries of the people, past and present, in this small town.

Thi
MG Camacho
Sep 30, 2012 MG Camacho rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-read
Like any small town, Serenity Springs is shall we say, on the brink of progress or stagnation and it could go either way depending on its residents. Of course, one group embraces progress in order to rebuild their town and to boost local businesses. And there are those who firmly believe that keeping the town as small as it is would help save the town from becoming a ghost town in the near future. Kara Delaney believes that the two opposing groups can compromise if only they would let go of what ...more
Casey Rock
Ryan's Return is about a young, famous, photographer that left his simple, rural town to persue his dreams depsite it costing him his family. Ryan's mother had left him and his father and brother when he was young. Ever since, Ryan and his father have been at odds. Once Ryan left for his career, his father and brother told him he was never welcome to return.

Now that Ryan is famous and his hometown is coming upon the Centennial Celebration, the head of the town council invites Ryan back as the g
Hannah
May 02, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Freethy's writing style is beautifully smooth and accomplished with no jarring turns of phrase or amateurish wording. This made reading Ryan's Return so much easier. The book itself was an enjoyable read with fully-developed characters and multiple love stories going on all at once, and surprisingly I cared about each and every one of them, which shows how Freethy paid as much attention to the secondary characters as to the primary ones. The actual story of the black sheep of the family ...more
Maria Michaels
This was my second Barbara Freethy book, and I didn't like it as much as the first. I also grabbed it when it was a free ebook, and I must say I was really surprised by all the "head hopping" that occurred as the author is a very polished and talented writer.

At times in the middle of a scene the point of view changed from the heroine to the hero. Most readers might not even notice this so-called head hopping but for me it was jarring.

As one other reviewer mentioned, I loved the fact that the r
Janeiowa
Mar 02, 2015 Janeiowa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 90% of this book was very enjoyable. It's a story of betrayal, lies,and people who hurt those they should love.

I felt the adult characters were believable and realistic, but I tired a bit of the child (view spoiler)

This story was included in a boxed set called Heroes and Heartbreakers.
Sara L
Jan 27, 2016 Sara L rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
This was only ok. I read the whole thing to see how it ended, despite knowing how it would end after 30 pages or so. The language was a bit elementary and I think it was a bit trite at times. I gave it 3 stars because it held my interest enough and it was a quick read.
Marcella
The characters, even minor ones, had depth and were lifelike. Ryan and Kara both have their reasons not to get involved, and their characters and the relationship development are also very believable. The same goes for the secondary romance and the family relations.
Estefania
Jan 09, 2015 Estefania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buen libro.
Emocionante por partes lo que ayuda a mantenerte entretenido durante todo el libro. Muchos altibajos, típicos de la vida adulta desbalanceada.
Repito buen libro.
Tal vez si hubiese sido un libro un poco más largo le hubiese dado calificación completa
Susan
This was a quick read that I tackled coming back from the beach. Almost had it read in the entire journey.

I really enjoy a romance story with a little supernatural thrown in. This was a great story and all the characters were great.
Sian
Apr 29, 2013 Sian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was light and easy to read. It is essentially a romance with a focus on challenging family dynamics and overcoming tragedy.

There is a great deal of sentiment throughout the novel and it has a largely predictable plot. It also has a mystical element. I was reminded of NIcholas Sparks novel Safe Haven.

The characters are well developed and the romance is sweet and steamy. It's good to read a story in which the main female character is intelligent, determine, capable and not a maiden in d
Mari Saar
Mar 01, 2016 Mari Saar rated it liked it
After reading so many good reviews about this book on Amazon I really had my hopes up high, but unfortunately I was slightly disappointed. It was an ok read, but nothing amazing that blew my socks off.
Helen
Sep 04, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i bought this part of a package on kobo, this was the first ebook to read, it was very easy to get into, the storey got me hooked, i loved the people, i just didn't want it to end.
  • Dodge the Bullet
  • The Way They Were (That Second Chance, #2)
  • Touched By Angels (Touched By Angels, #1)
  • Embers of Hope (Second Gift, #1)
  • The Pink Rose: Secrets, Love and Betrayal (The Wilsons, #1)
  • Hawks Mountain
  • A Change of Heart
  • Wild Angel (The O'Byrne Brides Series, #1)
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • Logan's Redemption
  • Megan's Way
  • Love in Bloom
  • True Colours
  • Three Moons Over Sedona
  • Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance, #1)
  • I'll Be There (Angel Ridge, #4)
  • Out of Time
  • Jennifer's Garden
Barbara's love of writing developed out of a love of reading. Growing up in an all-boy neighborhood, she spent quite a bit of time reading through her mother's large library, many of which were romantic novels. After graduating from the University of California at Santa Barbara, she went into Public Relations, but soon discovered that writing was her true passion.

Barbara was traditionally publishe
More about Barbara Freethy...