Start by marking “Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1)

Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  9,171 Ratings  ·  755 Reviews
Mother, wife, private investigator...vampire. Six years ago federal agent Samantha Moon was the perfect wife and mother, your typical soccer mom with the minivan and suburban home. Then the unthinkable happens, an attack that changes her life forever. And forever is a very long time for a vampire.

Now the world at large thinks Samantha has developed a rare skin disease, a d
Nook, 0 pages
Published February 27th 2011 by J.R. Rain (first published August 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Dance

Linzi
Apr 06, 2015 Linzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sookie Stackhouse Fans
Recommended to Linzi by: Amazon
Shelves: kindle
I got this cheap for my Kindle with no expectations.
After it sat on it for some months - I finally opened it to read the first 20 pages before (as I planned) deleting it.

Wow! Was I taken surprise - this is a GREAT start to a series. Fab, well-rounded main character, interesting world, actual plot, beginning, middle and end - all gripping.
2 and a half hours later and one long bath I was buying the second in the series and suggesting to my OH that we have takeaway for dinner as I planned to read.

V
Ian
Dec 28, 2015 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Mark Henwick's Bite Back series.
Recommended to Ian by: Misericordia ❣
Samantha Moon's life is anything but simple. She juggles her job working as a private investigator, a failing marriage and two rambunctious kids. And she's a vampire. When she is hired by a hot shot lawyer to find the person who tried to kill him she unwittingly finds herself in the crosshairs.

And adding to her troubles, there is a vampire hunter gunning for her, her husband is having an affair, and she is fighting her own attraction to the hotshot lawyer.

Moon Dance reminds me more than just a
Chris
Jul 29, 2012 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: freebie
Gary
Jul 09, 2012 Gary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own, 2012
It was a strong opening entry that left me underwhelmed. Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire #1) was overall an okay story. I liked the fact the protagonist is a woman dealing with her condition. But to me, the character is too emotionally tied to her human life to be an effective creature of the paranormal world.

I was totally into the story but three things happen: she couldn’t see her reflection; she changed into a giant half woman-bat; and if someone didn’t suspect her “condition” she was telling th
Roxanne
3.5 Stars

Very interesting story. I'm surprised it was written by a male and it had a female lead. I was very impressed and will definitely continue the series.

PS: I HATTTTTTTTTE Danny. I hope you die a fiery death in the pits of hell. (view spoiler)
Aimie
Sep 17, 2010 Aimie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery, paranormal
Mother,wife, Private investigator... vampire. Six years ago federal agent Samantha Moon's was the perfect wife and mother, your typical soccer mom with the minivan and suburban home. Then the unthinkable happens, an attack that changes her life forever. And forever is a very longtime for a vampire. Now the world at large thinks Samantha has developed a rare skin disease, a disease which forces her to quit her day job and stay out of the light of sun. Now working the night shift as a private inve ...more
Sarah Ketley
Just not the book for me.

I didn't connect with the characters or story. I found it rather corny. Great if you love vampire stories but i am luke warm at best. I loved Twilight, but that was because it was the first 'vampire' book i had read. It was new and interesting.

I nearly put this down. But i am stubborn and wanted to finish it.

I also found the voice didn't quite grab me. The author has created a distinctive style - which is great! But i just didn't like it.

However, I think that much of m
TJ
Sep 09, 2012 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, how much fun! A vampire who is also a married mom living in suburbia! After having been attacked and bitten, she must figure out how to carpool her kids (a decidedly daylight activity) keep a job and hide her new "eating" proclivities, all while chasing down bad guys! It is a new and creative twist that is both entertaining and intriguing. I'm off to find the next installment!
Kami Dodson-Perry
Apr 06, 2012 Kami Dodson-Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very nice story. I love vampire & werewolves so this book is perfect for me since it has both. Except for one typo that repeated itself throughout the entire book (save where except should be)the writing was good.

Samantha Moon (love the name) is a former FBI/Homeland Security agent turned vampire turned PI. She has a husband & 2 children. Sam struggles to maintain her family, her marriage, & her sanity. Sam was attacked & turned into a vampire 6 years ago, since then sh
Esra
Aug 08, 2015 Esra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5
kitabı 1.5 saatte filan bitirdim sanırım. büyük puntoları olması ve 300 sayfa olması bir de akıcı olması bunun başlıca sebepleri.
kitabın konusunda bir farklılık vardı, diğer vampir hikayelerine göre ama her şey o kadar çabuk oldu bittiye getirilmişti ki ne oldu bitti anlayamadım.
yazar biraz sherlock biraz aşk biraz vampir / kurt adam biraz da aksiyon karıştırmayı denemiş ama olmamış. olayları ya serinin devam kitaplarına yayacaktı ya da olay azaltacaktı.
yandaş'tan biraz bunalmasaydım -kötü o
Aug 15, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Does anyone else get that weirdly happy, tingly feeling when you're a few chapters into a book by an author new to you, and you realize "Damn, this is REALLY GOOD!" and he's got MORE!! Well, that's what happened to me yesterday, as I was reading Moon Dance by J.R. Rain. I was enjoying it so much I didn't want to leave the story. It doesn't get much better for us bookworms. Contented sigh here..................ok, on to the review.

Samantha Moon is six years into life as a vampire. Although she ha
Eperdu
Sep 10, 2012 Eperdu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I enjoyed the book. It was a freebie that actually sounded interesting so I picked it up. But, once I started reading it I had to finish it as quickly as possible. It's a fast read. The story is a modern take on vampires that are "real people", meaning they do laundry, carpool and watch Judge Judy. Apparently they also have marriage problems, squabbling kids and irrational cravings for Ding Dong's.

As I said, overall I enjoyed the book. There are a few things that have annoyed me (and in
Tracy T.
Okay story, Great Narration by Dina Pearlman.
This story was okay. Not boring but not fantastic either. I do like Samantha's character, however, I felt like there could have been much more to her and to the story. This book is written in the first person, and you can tell it was written by a man. LOL

The story line and plot were good for the first book of a series, it just lacked any wow factor.

There is zero sex in this book, a kiss towards the end. It's not really a romance book. More about her
Marnie
Jul 26, 2013 Marnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parnormal
First book in a six book set. A woman who was a federal agent was attacked by something/someone who ends up turning her into half human half vamp. Thus, makes her leave her job and become a P.I. and work from home. Mostly of night hours. While she has a husband and 2 kids, pre bitten he up until now dealt with her change but ends up being a real ass in the end. Stating he fears for all of their lives. So she must pick up her pieces. While she does this, she takes on a case for someone who was sh ...more
Iben
This book is a bit of a mess although it reads well. There are a lot of repetitions and there are a lot of contradictions. The plot has more holes than a Swiss cheese and it's really quite dreadfully simple. However, I was rather entertained while reading it and that's what counts.

I'm not quite sure how to classify it, because it's really more of a detective story which happens to be told by a soccer-mom turned vampire. The vampyric element is quite disappointing though. She was attacked and tur
Zeenat
Apr 19, 2012 Zeenat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Samantha Moon was a regular everyday mother before she was attacked 6 years ago. She is now a vampire. Everyone thinks she has a rare skin disease that keeps her inside at night. Now with her marriage down the drain and her life spiraling out of control, She is hired to find out who attacked Kingsley Fulcrum. Except he may not be what he seems either . . .

Review: This is the first book in the "Vampire for Hire" series. Now, I have never written an unfavorable review yet, and I'm not s
Elise Stone
Oct 23, 2012 Elise Stone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried this book because a blog I read pointed to the author as a successful indie who did not have a backlog of traditionally published books prior to self-publishing. At 99 cents, I wasn't risking a whole lot, even though I don't usually like paranormal stories.

I was pleasantly surprised. The main character, Samantha Moon, a.k.a. Moon Dance online, was turned into a vampire six years prior to the opening of the story. She was an investigator for the F.B.I., a wife and mother. Being a vampire
Shelley
May 18, 2011 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moon Dance is the first book in the Vampire for Hire series by J.R. Rain, another new author for me. I love checking out new authors when their work becomes available to me, especially if they get fairly decent reviews from readers. This one only costs me .99cents on Amazon.com.

Our main character is Samantha Moon. Sam is 37 years old, but doesn’t look a day over 25. She is the mother of two children; Tammy and Anthony. She is married to Danny, but for a while now, Danny has turned cold toward h
Lorraine Sears
Nihan
Mar 08, 2015 Nihan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Değişik bir vampir hikayesi. Orta yaşlı bir kadın dedektif üstelik de bir anne. Tabi bu olayları daha da zor hale getiriyor onun için. Kitap çok basite kaçarak yazılmış. Cinayet çok kolay çözüldü, detaylar istediğim gibi değildi. Ama yine de okurken hiç sıkmıyor ve eğlendiriyor.
Amie Doughty
I was really not very impressed with the novel. I love urban fantasy, but Rain didn't really seem to have a feel for writing it (or mystery or romance, which are the other genre bleed-overs for this novel). The narration could have been so much stronger than it was. Sam's character wasn't impressive, nor were any of the others. The most interesting part of the novel was the internet chatting between Sam and Fang. Otherwise, the "relationships" Sam establishes move far too quickly and are, for me ...more
Karen
Jan 18, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2012
I almost feel that second star was a bit generous, but then I suppose I'd be lying about the few bits of this one that did keep me going. By the last chapter/section/portion (seriously the formatting was a bit bizarre), I found myself wondering out loud why I was still reading. I was willing to go with the Vampire PI angle. Heck, even willing to go with the soccer mom angle. But, something in the execution had me feeling like I was reading a soap opera with a "paranormal" flavour. Only picked it ...more
Darcia Helle
J.R. Rain takes a tired genre and tosses it a NoDoz. Written in the first person, we get to know Sam, a female private detective who is also a vampire. Sam struggles with her new "disease" as she chases down bad guys. At the same time, she deals with the alienation of her husband, while trying to care for her children.

Rain's writing style is smooth and effortless. The plot moves quickly and the characters have all those human traits that make them feel real. A great book!
Kim
Apr 28, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This was a fun, quick, paranormal read! I really enjoyed it!! I love the main character, Samantha Moon. She is trying to be a normal mom, wife and private investigator which is difficult when you are a vampire. It was a different take on the paranormal world. It also had a great mystery plot. I will definitely be reading this whole series! On to book 2....
Gail
Mar 29, 2012 Gail rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A soccer-mom vampire PI who spends a lot of her time dealing with squabbling kids and upset because her husband is having an affair, but not even having the guts to talk to him about it. This is not a character I was even remotely interested in spending time with. Blech. I can't believe I paid for this.
Karen
Mar 24, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read anything by this author before but that is all about to change. I really enjoyed this novel more than I though I would. I was drawn into the story from the beginning, probably because it seemed at first that things were just so normal when I knew they weren't. I'm glad that it started after she had been dealing with the situation for a while instead of taking us through the whole thing and having to arrive at that point. The characters are interesting and the situation unique t ...more
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
Nice introduction to this series, and what a story... poor Sam!
S. Gates
I'll admit, I used to be really into the urban fantasy/murder mystery genre, but I grew rather jaded toward it somewhere in the middle of the mess that the Anita Blake series became. I don't typically seek the stuff out anymore, but seeing that the main character of this book was a mother rather than your typical free-wheeling single person made me want to give it a shot.

There's a lot of potential here, but the actual execution ended up very mediocre. It's not that the story is particularly bad,
Ellen
Aug 21, 2012 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's back to the world of self-publishing with this book, purchased for free via Amazon Kindle. And, because I was curious as to what happened next, I actually purchased the second book, albeit for a measly amount of cash. However, I've stopped there, as I was longing for more editing to go with my inexpensive purchases.

First off, this book crosses genres: paranormal romance and urban fantasy. Don't worry, that crossover in itself is fine by me. However, there were times when the book longed to
We Read Indie Boo...: How about those fellas? SPOILERS!!! 5 26 Jun 18, 2013 12:32AM
Round Lake Librar...: Next book 1 4 Jan 13, 2013 04:20AM
We Read Indie Boo...: No spoilers... but what are your thoughts so far? 25 20 Apr 10, 2012 11:37AM
  • Vampire Love Story (Vampire Love Story, #1)
  • The Vampire's Warden (Undead in Brown County, #1)
  • Vampire's Eve (Vamp Life #1)
  • Beautiful Sins: Leigha Lowery  (The Thaneaddus Chronicles, #1)
  • Grave Illusions (Jess Vandermire, #1)
  • The Blood That Bonds (II AM Trilogy, #1)
  • Thirst (Ava Delaney, #1)
  • Along Came A Demon (Whisperings, #1)
  • To Kill A Warlock (Dulcie O'Neil, #1)
  • Rock 'n' Roll is Undead (Veronica Mason, #1)
  • Blood Rock (Skindancer, #2)
  • Fairytale (Fairies of Rush, #1)
  • Bound By Blood
  • Deadworld (Jackie Rutledge #1)
  • Quinn, a Vampire Watcher's Story (Royal Blood Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Sunrise at Sunset
  • Bait (Angler, #1)
  • The Bride of Casa Dracula (Casa Dracula, #3)
I'm an ex-private investigator now writing full-time in the Pacific Northwest, where I live in a small house on a small island with my small dog, Sadie, who has more energy than Robin Williams.

As a kid I was always making stuff: skates, skateboards, skimboards, skis, sleds, clothing, furniture, wood carvings, Easter baskets, comic books, you name it. I was the mother of all nerds. Anyway, I think
More about J.R. Rain...

Vampire for Hire (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Vampire Moon (Vampire for Hire, #2)
  • American Vampire (Vampire for Hire, #3)
  • Moon Child (Vampire for Hire, #4)
  • Vampire Dawn (Vampire for Hire, #5)
  • Vampire Games (Vampire For Hire, #6)
  • Moon Island (Vampire for Hire, #7)
  • Moon River (Vampire for Hire, #8)
  • Dark Side of the Moon (Vampire for Hire #8.5)
  • Vampire Sun (Vampire for Hire, #9)
  • Moon Dragon (Vampire for Hire, #10)

“I surveyed the others, who had all stopped in their tracks. "So what was the plan, boys? You were all going to get a fuck in? The very definition of sloppy seconds - hell, sloppy thirds and fourths and fifths. Than what? Slit my throat? Leave me for dead? Let some school janitor find me stuffed in a dumpster? You would deny my children their mother for one night of cheap thrills?” 20 likes