Start by marking “True to Our Feelings: What Our Emotions Are Really Telling Us” as Want to Read:
True to Our Feelings: What Our Emotions Are Really Telling Us

True to Our Feelings: What Our Emotions Are Really Telling Us

We live our lives through our emotions, writes Robert Solomon, and it is our emotions that give our lives meaning. What interests or fascinates us, who we love, what angers us, what moves us, what bores us--all of this defines us, gives us character, constitutes who we are.
In True to Our Feelings, Solomon illuminates the rich life of the emotions--why we don't really und
Published November 1st 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about True to Our Feelings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True to Our Feelings

Charles
Nov 03, 2011 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychotherapy
Here a contemporary philosopher provides his highly-readable thoughts on how emotions form the turning center-point of our cognitions. His basic idea is that emotions are a way of knowing the world, his central thesis is that developing emotional integrity is the purpose of a higher life. Very rewarding to read, with applications for daily life as well as philosophical appreciation.
Steven Wright
Sep 08, 2012 Steven Wright rated it it was amazing
Finally someone to speak eloquently of the importance of the emotions for a meaningful life
Larisa
Dec 18, 2016 Larisa rated it it was ok
This book occupies the unholy middle ground between an academic text and a popular one. It is all over the place, and some of the places it goes seem apt while others seem deeply mistaken. And, for the pedants at home, he misquotes Hobbes! Alas.
Eva
Jan 28, 2017 Eva rated it it was ok
Despite my interest in cognition, I could not get into this book at all. It took me three years to get through it, and that only by, in the end, skimming the last two chapters. Didn't seem to have a coherent thesis or presentation.
Диана
Oct 19, 2014 Диана rated it it was amazing
A really good book. A rare thing in the otherwise dispirited world of academic writing.

Note to self: still have a few chapters to go as I have to return the book to the library.
Sebastien
Sebastien rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Ari
Ari rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Austin
Austin rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Joel
Joel rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2013
James
James rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2010
Michael Mullan-Jensen
Michael Mullan-Jensen rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2014
Jason Stotts
Jason Stotts rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Ghassan Mansour
Ghassan Mansour rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Lexeme
Lexeme rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Aaron Wells
Aaron Wells rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2017
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2007
Jeremy Estabrooks
Jeremy Estabrooks rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Dada
Dada rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Pepe
Pepe rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Bahar Ranjbar
Bahar Ranjbar rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2007
David
David rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2014
John Schroeder
John Schroeder rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Kathryn Henry
Kathryn Henry rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2012
Betogon1
Betogon1 rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Iemman Azim
Iemman Azim rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Robert C. Solomon (September 14, 1942 – January 2, 2007) was a professor of continental philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin.

Early life

Solomon was born in Detroit, Michigan. His father was a lawyer, and his mother an artist. After earning a B.A. (1963) at the University of Pennsylvania, he moved to the University of Michigan to study medicine, switching to philosophy for an M.A. (1965)
More about Robert C. Solomon...