Start by marking “Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself” as Want to Read:
Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself

Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself

Use Social Media to Build a Great Personal Brand-and a Great Career! Need to demonstrate more value to customers or employers? Want a new job or career? Use social media to build the powerful personal brand that gets you what you want! In "Branding Yourself," two leading social media consultants show how to use today's social media platforms to attract new business and job ...more
Published December 17th 2010 by Que (first published December 7th 2010)

Kathryn van Beek
Mar 28, 2015 Kathryn van Beek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read enough ‘developing an author brand’ blog posts you’ll eventually be referred to the library to find some more in-depth information on personal branding. The day I visited the library the only personal branding book I could find was Branding Yourself: How to use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself by American authors Erik Deckers and Kyle Lacy – so I checked it out and got stuck in.

The book is aimed at job seekers, people wanting to establish themselves as experts in a field,
Mark
May 13, 2017 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could have given this book more than 5 stars, I would have! This is possibly one of my favorite books in the area of self improvement. This book is full of nuggets...too many to list out, but here are a few:
-How to take command of Twitter, LinkedIn, Google +, Facebook
-Building your brand and what the long-term benefits can be
-For the socially awkward - how to network and meet others
-Great advice on publishing, becoming a speaker, and finding a job

This one will remain on my reference shelf a
Phillip Elliott
Sep 26, 2013 Phillip Elliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up at the Hong Kong airport. I was looking to fill the 14 hour flight with something and the title interested me. I read the book cover to cover in about 5 hours. I found the materials covered to have been so well thought out, conceived and presented that even a seasoned and skeptical SM user like me learned with every page turn.
The section of Blogging, the “Dos” and “Don’t” in each chapter, the entire portion over Linked in and Facebook are all priceless. I am not one to mark
Digiboy
I enjoy reading this book. I went to the library and checked out all the books they had on topic between 2010 and 2012; this amounted to about 8, I think. Out of those 8, this is one of few that I did more than skim through and the only one I actually took the time to read.

To be honest, I didn't need them to tell me to get a Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, blog, etc. I already have those things. However, they did offer valuable insight on how to use these tools and as more seasoned users, they were
Jim
May 25, 2012 Jim is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
How do you use social media to promote yourself without sounding like an arrogant ass? How do you social media at all? I believe in socia media but I hardly know how to use it and I often dont post because "who the hell really cares about my life".
Branding Yourself is beginning to shed some light on this and helping me get over the fear of bragging when what I really am trying to do is promote myself.
GreenGraffiti® is a business I set up and I am passionate about it but I am also passionate ab
John Uhri
Apr 25, 2011 John Uhri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Branding Yourself is an awesome book on using Social Media to Invent or Reinvent yourself. The book is a practical, hands-on guide for creating your online presence and augmenting it with real world opportunities.

Erik and Kyle walk through the reasons self-promotion are important in today's job markets. From there they discuss how to set up Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook accounts as well as the best ways to get started blogging. Then, using these as a starting point, they cover public speaking a
Tami
Apr 15, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you are interacting on Facebook or tweeting your buddies, what image are you portraying? Do you stand for something specific and express your best qualities or do you randomly put out information that could come back and haunt you?

No matter whether you work for someone else or own a business, it’s important that your actions (including online content) reflect who you truly are and what you want others to know about you. Branding Yourself takes you through the process of defining your brand
Sonya
Sep 05, 2014 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
Branding Yourself: How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself (2nd ed)

Gives the process, tools and techniques to find what your business must do to be heard in this noisy tech world.

Explains what, why and how of each tool, i.e. twitter, facebook, linkedin, to enable you to use it with confidence and skill to advance your needs.

They provide examples that cover a broad spectrum of businesses so you can see your needs portrayed.

They included a clear explanation of what SEO looks for NOW
Aliya
Apr 20, 2013 Aliya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I am rating a book this low. I bought this book to learn about social media and to effectively employ it for my professional career. If you have engaged in social media (Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter) then this book has nothing to add to your repertoire of social media skills. If however, social media is an enigma to you, and you get intimidated by the very word "LinkedIn" then you should buy this book, it will walk you through the scary jungle of social media.

This book l
Lou Heinrich
The fact that I completed a Media degree at Adelaide Uni (2009-2011) with only several references to social media (as opposed to entire courses) appalls me. So I'm teaching myself.
I was searching for information regarding corporate use, not individual, so I skimmed some of the info that wasn't relevant to me (I also skimmed some waffle because the authors write like two smarmy motivational speakers). But there were some super helpful basic tips on social media strategy in here, which is what I w
Teresa Walters
Mar 05, 2013 Teresa Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be extremely helpful. For anyone wanting to gain a better understanding of the Social Media world...this book is a must. The authors, Erik Deckers and Kyle Lacy, do a great job of taking even the most inexperienced social media newbie step-by-step through the process of setting up online accounts. In addition, the authors discuss self-promotion, branding, the relational nature of social media and how social media tools can help get your message to the masses.
Luís
Aug 12, 2012 Luís rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subtitle "How to Use Social Media to Invent or Reinvent Yourself" is very clear about the contents. The authors encourage you to network, tweet, blog and use facebook to promote yourself. But they go further and encourage public speaking (with a nice mention of Toastmasters) and getting published. All in the hopes of, course, promoting your brand.
Greg
Mar 02, 2013 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad at all. A few things were not that useful for me, e.g. opening up a new blog, registering on LinkedIn and Facebook etc., but of course the book has still much to offer.

I'm only giving it four starts because my experience with social media-related books are limited, and at the moment I still feel that this book could have more to offer.
tnicholson Nicholson
I really don't know why I read this book but I didn't like it. Read like a series of blog posts bound into a book. Nothing really special at all. I would have gotten more out of Googling for an hour. But if you don't know much about branding it might be a good place to start but not anything complete.
Mike Walters
Apr 03, 2013 Mike Walters rated it really liked it
This is a great beginner's guide to building a strong professional brand on social media. Even if you think you know everything about the various social networking tools, you are sure to pick up some valuable tips.
Justin Keller
Dec 18, 2012 Justin Keller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, learned a lot. Now to go implement it! Glad it expanded beyond social marketing tools but the section on getting published was a little off topic. Or maybe, I wasn't prepared for a writing career in order to brand myself.
Juan Ortiz
Jan 09, 2011 Juan Ortiz is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
01/09/11 - I like what I have read so far. I am still on the first chapter (I bought it last night on my way to work), and I have already found out three things I am doing wrong. I will update as I go along.
Wendi Mitchell
Mar 28, 2011 Wendi Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wendi recommended. A most exellent resource. I am still applying what I learned in this book and will likely revisit it later.
Velvetink
Dec 15, 2012 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
*for daughter
Craig
Jan 07, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book and followed it religiously. It works! One of the best books I have read on social media and self promotion.
Scott Phillips
Feb 25, 2015 Scott Phillips rated it liked it
Started out appealing to me but got somewhat uninteresting further along I went. It would probably be very valuable to someone who really wanted to brand themselves totally instead of mediocre.
Erica Hatch
Jan 03, 2015 Erica Hatch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A fantastic book about personal branding! A must-read for all social media/online professionals!
Brittany
Brittany rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Aya Eldighady
Aya Eldighady rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Mary-Michelle Moore
Mary-Michelle Moore rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2011
Lee Causseaux
Lee Causseaux rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2013
Hillary
Hillary rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Kevin Beasley
Kevin Beasley rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • How College Affects Students: Volume 2 - A Third Decade of Research
  • All Work, No Pay: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience
  • Putting the Public Back in Public Relations: How Social Media Is Reinventing the Aging Business of PR
  • The Resume is Dead
  • Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer
  • The World Is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • The Twitter Book
  • The Purpose of Your Life: Finding Your Place In The World Using Synchronicity, Intuition, And Uncommon Sense
  • It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now: How To Create Your Second Life At Any Age
  • The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education from the Inside Out
  • Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success
  • No Bullshit Social Media: The All-Business, No-Hype Guide to Social Media Marketing
  • Ctrl Alt Delete: Reboot Your Business. Reboot Your Life. Your Future Depends on It.
  • Allen Carr's Easyweigh to Lose Weight
  • Pendulum: How Past Generations Shape Our Present and Predict Our Future

“Whether you’re online or out in the real world, treat every person you meet as a possible future resource.” 0 likes