Start by marking “No One Can Take Your Place” as Want to Read:
No One Can Take Your Place

No One Can Take Your Place

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,639 Ratings  ·  289 Reviews
In No One Can Take Your Place, Sheri Dew offers powerful insights and profound testimony as she discusses the importance of doing what we came here to do. In her personable and straightforward style, she emphasizes our unique roles as men and women of God, the divine power that is available to help us fulfill our mortal missions, the lessons we can learn from those who hav ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about No One Can Take Your Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One Can Take Your Place

The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Jesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
34th out of 194 books — 239 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois LowryTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
LDS Book Club Reads
385th out of 400 books — 241 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaye
Feb 22, 2014 Kaye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
An uplifting and challenging message. I underlined some quotes - one of which was, "It is not possible to sin enough to be happy."
Paul
Jul 08, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing
I listened to an abridged audio book, which always makes me wonder what I missed. With this book, I will probably read the whole book at some future time to find out!
I expected this book to be pretty good, but it was far better than I could have imagined! While it was probably intended more for women – Sheri Dew was a counselor in the General Relief Society Presidency and has chapters that focus on Eve and Mary, the two most significant women in history – there are plenty of lessons for men, as
Michelle Llewellyn
Aug 13, 2015 Michelle Llewellyn rated it liked it
Good morning, readers.
Following my completion of the book, No One Can Take Your Place I have taken the liberty of creating my own "Sheri Dew NOC list" for your convenience. As you may have noticed during your own perusal of the book, many of these chapters are actually talks or speeches given over the years, lazily compiled by the author into a single volume, who neglected to include such important information.
This list matches the "chapter names" with their "true names" released into the open,
STEPHANIE
Sep 12, 2007 STEPHANIE rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: religious
Ok, now this book is fantastic. I heard her on a book tour before this book was published and I enjoyed her talk so much that I thought "wow, she should right a book". Ha, ha. She read my mind. I think this book tops them all, but doesn't diminished the greatness of her others.
Liz
Jun 08, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
"Premortally, in the most difficult of circumstances, we stood loyally by our Father and His Son, and we did not flinch. The question for us today is: How will we do it again?"

It is very difficult to sum up a religious/inspirational book like this because each section and chapter has it's own theme but I was left with the feeling that what I am doing here on earth really matters; also, that women have a divine role to fulfil; that women can help the family unit in a way that no one else can; tha
Molly
Sep 27, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-books
As it turns out, moving across the country — even for something awesome like grad school at USC — can be quite a lonely experience. Don't get me wrong, I have had so much fun and made a lot of friends in L.A. so far, but the thing about new friends is that you never know exactly when they become close enough that you can open up to them without annoying them and just text or call them whenever you want. Similarly, the friends you leave behind you move on with their lives because nothing has chan ...more
LeeAnn
Oct 29, 2010 LeeAnn rated it really liked it
I love Sheri Dew's comparison between cutting through the edges of Central Park in NYC and going right down the middle and the different experience of each. Then she likens it to cutting along the edges of the gospel versus committing to its doctrine and tasting the sweetness it has to offer. That's just at the beginning of the book too!

Sheri Dew is one of my favorite authors. I have read several biographies she has written and have always come away feeling like I really know the person.

In this
Tamhack
Mar 04, 2012 Tamhack rated it it was ok
She tries to remind us of who we are and that we all are here for our own special purpose.

We need to pray for knowledge to understand Heavenly Father's plan and his doctrines. We need to pray to understand the spiritual gifts that are available to us; to cultivate them and use them.

Heavenly Father has many tools to help us "Bridge the Gaps" in our lives. The most important way is to be true followers of Christ. The Holy Ghost helps us find and feel true happiness.

We need to cultivate trust.

We
Jaedee Slaugh
Sep 20, 2012 Jaedee Slaugh rated it it was amazing
In this book by Sheri Dew, an LDS author, It gives you inspiration and thoughts for members of the LDS church. It talks about how you are worth something and gives you stories from her life. It tells about everything that she has been through and it talks about how she knows that she is loved. SHe talks about how we are all important.

Sheri talks about her favorite bible heros and the leaders of the church that she looks up to. She talks about trails that she has had throughout her life and expir
Heather
Aug 20, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
An enjoyable listen. The audio book was abridged but I don't think I really missed anything as most books of this type feel "padded." Really enjoyed the range of topics. The section that shares the title of the book was at the very end and I enjoyed it the most. I often feel extremely insignificant and replaceable but then when I try to think of a replaceable person in my life, I simply can't. Puts everything into perspective. Nice little book.
Joni Newman
Sep 16, 2015 Joni Newman rated it liked it
It had some really great moments, but isn't my favorite kind of religious lit - I like the stuff that makes me think, not just makes me "feel good". This book was a bit more of a "feel good about yourself" kind of read than a "challenge to be better" sort of read. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you need that kind of read.
Barb Lemmert
Jun 17, 2014 Barb Lemmert rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading and feeling uplifted, like I can accomplish anything, and at the same time, learning about life and everyday experiences that can make me a better person. I need to realize that I am important, and that I have a divine destiny here on this earth and that indeed, no one can take mu place.
MariLee
Nov 20, 2014 MariLee rated it really liked it
Very nicely done book by Sheri Dew about the importance of each individual and their life's mission. Dew is one of my favorite speakers, and her writing is equally as good. She has a good mix of doctrine, anecdotes, scriptures, etc.

About 2/3 of the way through, the book seemed to lose a little momentum - slower paced, fewer anecdotes, etc., but picked back up for a strong finish.

I underlined many passages - there's a lot here to think about and discuss with others.
Kathy Marler
Oct 02, 2008 Kathy Marler rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who needs a reason to act
Recommended to Kathy by: a gift from Anne Callahan
Great read for women of our day. The book defines leadership, the importance of leading, our responsibilities as mothers, teachers, defenders of truth.

As we work in this election there is a quote from the book that I think is necessary for us to read. "before this epoch is over, every living human being will have chosen. Every living human being will have lined up with Hitler or agaist him. Every living human being will eith have opposed this onslaught or supported it. For if he tries to make n
Loni Spendlove
Dec 06, 2012 Loni Spendlove rated it it was amazing
While this isn't a new book, I picked it up at my mom's house and started reading it and now I'm wondering WHY HAVEN'T I READ THIS SOONER?? I have always loved the straight-forward, no-nonsense voice and testimony of Sister Dew and this was SUCH an amazing book that I WILL read it again and again. I took notes, highlighted passages and re-read so much because I felt like she was pouring strength to be a mother, a wife, a friend, a sister and a daughter of God into my cup so quickly it was overfl ...more
Laura Hall
Sep 25, 2015 Laura Hall rated it it was amazing
I got a lot out of this book. It made me want to be and do better in many aspects of my life. I enjoyed her stories and great scriptural connections. So glad I read it!
Kim
Feb 23, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
I love Sheri Dew and have read a couple of her books previously. This was full of thought-provoking, uplifting gems to ponder and remember. Reading this made me want to be a better person.
Sandy
May 15, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing
In "No One Can Take Your Place, Sheri Dew offers powerful insights and profound testimony as she discusses the importance of doing what we came here to do. In her personable and straightforward style, she emphasizes our unique roles as men and women of God, the divine power that is available to help us fulfill our mortal missions, the lessons we can learn from those who have gone before, and the legacy we will ultimately leave behind. A stirring call to action, this motivational book points to t ...more
Kira
Nov 02, 2013 Kira rated it it was amazing
Once again, Sheri Dew has blown me away with her words of power, wisdom, comfort, motivation, and knowledge. I have never met her, but I fiercely love this woman and am so grateful for the contribution she has made to the world and to my life personally. Her words in this volume bolstered me up, encouraged me to do my best, and filled me with the Spirit and gave me the strength to determine to be the best ME possible. I feel motivated to be part of God's powerful people, to stand up for what I b ...more
Audrey Davis
Feb 05, 2014 Audrey Davis rated it really liked it
A great reminder that you as a mother are so important for so many different reasons and we have a great plan to help come to fruition.
Darla
Nov 03, 2008 Darla rated it really liked it
(Genre:LDS Non-fiction/Inspirational) I bought this book because I have always enjoyed listening to Sheri Dew. Her messages always seem so timely and helpful for my life. I particularly enjoyed the chapter "The Trail We Are Leaving Behind" since it dovetails so well with some of the moral battles that are being waged right now in our society. She quotes several of our founding fathers and it is good to think about what legacy we leave for those who follow us. She really focuses on the individual ...more
Chris
Mar 29, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
I love the way Sheri Dew shares her insights and testimony. I've listened to the book on CD and am relistening. The part about using the atonement has been really powerful to me.
Cassie Shepherd
Mar 19, 2011 Cassie Shepherd rated it it was amazing
Ultimately, this book motivated me to understand the importance of recognizing and developing my talents with the Lords help. Dew focused on developing leadership abilities and always practicing integrity and that really stood out. This is a book that can be very personal though because Dew speaks of our fore-ordained duties.
I've covered the first three pages with my favorite quotes from this book. I like to do that so if I need a quick pick me up or reference to a specific subject then I can r
Audrey
Jan 27, 2015 Audrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
Exactly the message I needed to hear this week. Love her straight forward, matter of fact writing.
Chrisanne
Apr 06, 2015 Chrisanne rated it it was amazing
I can definitely see the seedlings of her future books in this one but I loved it anyway. It was just what I needed, when I needed it.
Nov 23, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
I'm not much of one for non-fiction in general and religious non-fiction books specifically (I typically prefer general conference talks). Mostly I just forced myself to read it because it was a gift; I wasn't overly interested in most of it, but I finally hit pay dirt in the last couple chapters, which I found quite inspiring, as they focus on the importance of godliness in American history and on the importance of every individual (the last chapter is the "title" chapter).

This book is definit
Sara Allen
Jan 17, 2016 Sara Allen rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book! It was full of things I have heard before but I needed to here again. It was a quick read. I want my girls to read it.
Peter
Oct 20, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
Always like what Sherri Dew has to say. I listened to the audiobook.
Sara
Jan 03, 2010 Sara rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Sara by: Rikki
Sheri Dew has a gift of writing plain truths in a way that are fresh and inspriring. This book speaks of doctrine I am already well aware of but she has a way of inspriring women with her personal stories.
It reminds you of your importance in the grand scheme of things as a mother and woman of God and basically just a human being on this earth. I don't think we get told enough (sincerely) that we are worth more than we know. And I know women have a hard time accepting this truth. This book is upl
Kaelyn Grant
May 20, 2015 Kaelyn Grant rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great one to read when uplifting is needed.
  • A Quiet Heart
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • The Holy Secret
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • Better Than You Think You Are
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Daughters of God
  • The Remarkable Soul of a Woman
  • A Heart Like His: Making Space for God's Love in Your Life
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • Love Is a Verb: And Other Thoughts on the Greatest Commandment
62012
Sheri Dew graduated from Brigham Young University. She served as second counselor in the general Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1997 to 2002. In March 2003 the White House appointed her a member of the U.S. Delegation to the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations. In 2002, Sheri Dew became president and CEO of Deseret Book Company.
More about Sheri Dew...