Start by marking “No One Can Take Your Place” as Want to Read:
No One Can Take Your Place

No One Can Take Your Place

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  2,320 ratings  ·  273 reviews
In No One Can Take Your Place, Sheri Dew offers powerful insights and profound testimony as she discusses the importance of doing what we came here to do. In her personable and straightforward style, she emphasizes our unique roles as men and women of God, the divine power that is available to help us fulfill our mortal missions, the lessons we can learn from those who hav...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about No One Can Take Your Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One Can Take Your Place

The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Jesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
33rd out of 183 books — 213 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois LowryTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
LDS Book Club Reads
321st out of 341 books — 197 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul
I listened to an abridged audio book, which always makes me wonder what I missed. With this book, I will probably read the whole book at some future time to find out!
I expected this book to be pretty good, but it was far better than I could have imagined! While it was probably intended more for women – Sheri Dew was a counselor in the General Relief Society Presidency and has chapters that focus on Eve and Mary, the two most significant women in history – there are plenty of lessons for men, as...more
Kaye
An uplifting and challenging message. I underlined some quotes - one of which was, "It is not possible to sin enough to be happy."
STEPHANIE
Sep 12, 2007 STEPHANIE rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: religious
Ok, now this book is fantastic. I heard her on a book tour before this book was published and I enjoyed her talk so much that I thought "wow, she should right a book". Ha, ha. She read my mind. I think this book tops them all, but doesn't diminished the greatness of her others.
Molly
As it turns out, moving across the country — even for something awesome like grad school at USC — can be quite a lonely experience. Don't get me wrong, I have had so much fun and made a lot of friends in L.A. so far, but the thing about new friends is that you never know exactly when they become close enough that you can open up to them without annoying them and just text or call them whenever you want. Similarly, the friends you leave behind you move on with their lives because nothing has chan...more
LeeAnn
I love Sheri Dew's comparison between cutting through the edges of Central Park in NYC and going right down the middle and the different experience of each. Then she likens it to cutting along the edges of the gospel versus committing to its doctrine and tasting the sweetness it has to offer. That's just at the beginning of the book too!

Sheri Dew is one of my favorite authors. I have read several biographies she has written and have always come away feeling like I really know the person.

In this...more
Tamhack
She tries to remind us of who we are and that we all are here for our own special purpose.

We need to pray for knowledge to understand Heavenly Father's plan and his doctrines. We need to pray to understand the spiritual gifts that are available to us; to cultivate them and use them.

Heavenly Father has many tools to help us "Bridge the Gaps" in our lives. The most important way is to be true followers of Christ. The Holy Ghost helps us find and feel true happiness.

We need to cultivate trust.

We...more
Jaedee Slaugh
In this book by Sheri Dew, an LDS author, It gives you inspiration and thoughts for members of the LDS church. It talks about how you are worth something and gives you stories from her life. It tells about everything that she has been through and it talks about how she knows that she is loved. SHe talks about how we are all important.

Sheri talks about her favorite bible heros and the leaders of the church that she looks up to. She talks about trails that she has had throughout her life and expir...more
Heather
An enjoyable listen. The audio book was abridged but I don't think I really missed anything as most books of this type feel "padded." Really enjoyed the range of topics. The section that shares the title of the book was at the very end and I enjoyed it the most. I often feel extremely insignificant and replaceable but then when I try to think of a replaceable person in my life, I simply can't. Puts everything into perspective. Nice little book.
Barb Lemmert
I enjoy reading and feeling uplifted, like I can accomplish anything, and at the same time, learning about life and everyday experiences that can make me a better person. I need to realize that I am important, and that I have a divine destiny here on this earth and that indeed, no one can take mu place.
Kathy Marler
Oct 02, 2008 Kathy Marler rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who needs a reason to act
Recommended to Kathy by: a gift from Anne Callahan
Great read for women of our day. The book defines leadership, the importance of leading, our responsibilities as mothers, teachers, defenders of truth.

As we work in this election there is a quote from the book that I think is necessary for us to read. "before this epoch is over, every living human being will have chosen. Every living human being will have lined up with Hitler or agaist him. Every living human being will eith have opposed this onslaught or supported it. For if he tries to make n...more
Loni Spendlove
While this isn't a new book, I picked it up at my mom's house and started reading it and now I'm wondering WHY HAVEN'T I READ THIS SOONER?? I have always loved the straight-forward, no-nonsense voice and testimony of Sister Dew and this was SUCH an amazing book that I WILL read it again and again. I took notes, highlighted passages and re-read so much because I felt like she was pouring strength to be a mother, a wife, a friend, a sister and a daughter of God into my cup so quickly it was overfl...more
Kim
I love Sheri Dew and have read a couple of her books previously. This was full of thought-provoking, uplifting gems to ponder and remember. Reading this made me want to be a better person.
Sandy
In "No One Can Take Your Place, Sheri Dew offers powerful insights and profound testimony as she discusses the importance of doing what we came here to do. In her personable and straightforward style, she emphasizes our unique roles as men and women of God, the divine power that is available to help us fulfill our mortal missions, the lessons we can learn from those who have gone before, and the legacy we will ultimately leave behind. A stirring call to action, this motivational book points to t...more
Kira
Once again, Sheri Dew has blown me away with her words of power, wisdom, comfort, motivation, and knowledge. I have never met her, but I fiercely love this woman and am so grateful for the contribution she has made to the world and to my life personally. Her words in this volume bolstered me up, encouraged me to do my best, and filled me with the Spirit and gave me the strength to determine to be the best ME possible. I feel motivated to be part of God's powerful people, to stand up for what I b...more
Audrey Davis
A great reminder that you as a mother are so important for so many different reasons and we have a great plan to help come to fruition.
Darla
(Genre:LDS Non-fiction/Inspirational) I bought this book because I have always enjoyed listening to Sheri Dew. Her messages always seem so timely and helpful for my life. I particularly enjoyed the chapter "The Trail We Are Leaving Behind" since it dovetails so well with some of the moral battles that are being waged right now in our society. She quotes several of our founding fathers and it is good to think about what legacy we leave for those who follow us. She really focuses on the individual...more
Chris
I love the way Sheri Dew shares her insights and testimony. I've listened to the book on CD and am relistening. The part about using the atonement has been really powerful to me.
Cassie Shepherd
Ultimately, this book motivated me to understand the importance of recognizing and developing my talents with the Lords help. Dew focused on developing leadership abilities and always practicing integrity and that really stood out. This is a book that can be very personal though because Dew speaks of our fore-ordained duties.
I've covered the first three pages with my favorite quotes from this book. I like to do that so if I need a quick pick me up or reference to a specific subject then I can r...more
I'm not much of one for non-fiction in general and religious non-fiction books specifically (I typically prefer general conference talks). Mostly I just forced myself to read it because it was a gift; I wasn't overly interested in most of it, but I finally hit pay dirt in the last couple chapters, which I found quite inspiring, as they focus on the importance of godliness in American history and on the importance of every individual (the last chapter is the "title" chapter).

This book is definit...more
Maggie
Fantastic book about the importance we each play in this life.
Sara
Jan 03, 2010 Sara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Sara by: Rikki
Sheri Dew has a gift of writing plain truths in a way that are fresh and inspriring. This book speaks of doctrine I am already well aware of but she has a way of inspriring women with her personal stories.
It reminds you of your importance in the grand scheme of things as a mother and woman of God and basically just a human being on this earth. I don't think we get told enough (sincerely) that we are worth more than we know. And I know women have a hard time accepting this truth. This book is upl...more
Whitney
I really loved the last chapter.
Sylinda Lee
love all her stuff!
Khinna
Jun 08, 2010 Khinna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
A deeper, spiritual motivitational book that goes beyond 'You are the best' 'You are unique'... I have been conflicted with my divine role as a mother for quite some time, even a bit spiritually sluggish on a personal level. Books like these usually sit on my shelf, collecting dust; because I don't want to open my heart and be told what I should be doing... I am stubborn. Truly, a book that took me away from the distractions of this world, and revealed personal manifestations. Wonderful insight.
Karen
I'm not entirely sure why I decided to pick up this book to read on the bus to and from school, but I'm very glad I did. With one exception (due to reading environment and not content), everytime I read it touched my heart and made me think. True to it's title this book made you feel good about yourself even though it admonished you to do and be better than you are now. It's a beautiful book and I would recommend it to anyone, even if you aren't LDS.
Jennifer Hughes
This is the perfect book to remind yourself of your divine worth and potential. I love Sheri Dew's writing voice--she has such spiritual insight but says it in a no-nonsense way. Sometimes I think we moms get the guilt thing down too good. The message Sheri Dew presents in this book is uplifting and reassuring, and helped me to set down that "mother load" of guilt and feelings of failure and remember the love God has for me. Highly recommended.
Bill Sutton
I enjoyed this book. it was given to me by my Father-In-Law. I started reading it as sort of an obligation since it was given to me. But it was very well written and I found myself wanting to continue to read it. So I actually finished it in about 4 days. That's unusual for me.
Nohreen
Apr 25, 2009 Nohreen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nohreen by: Nancy
Shelves: nonfiction
Another wonderful book by Sheri Dew. Thanks to a great friend, for lending it to me. This book talks about so many wonderful truths & uplifting insights about family dynamics, self-worth, faith, integrity, purity, and many more. It is especially written to women in these last days. There truly is no one who can take your place. True happiness comes from doing what we were meant to do. I enjoyed this book immensely.
Kari
This is absolutely my favorite book by Sheri Dew. I just re-read it and was so touched by how pertinent it is to our day--you should read the chapter on politics. Holy Cow! Very applicable. My favorite story she relates is about BYU basket ball tryouts. It is impossible to read this book and not come away knowing that you have a purpose on this earth and that absolutely no one can take your place!
  • Letters
  • A Quiet Heart
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Being Enough
  • One Bright Shining Hope
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Trusting Jesus
  • Mary, Martha, And Me:  Seeking the One Thing That Is Needful
  • A Heart Like His: Making Space for God's Love in Your Life
  • Love Is a Verb: And Other Thoughts on the Greatest Commandment
62012
Sheri Dew graduated from Brigham Young University. She served as second counselor in the general Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1997 to 2002. In March 2003 the White House appointed her a member of the U.S. Delegation to the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations. In 2002, Sheri Dew became president and CEO of Deseret Book Company.
More about Sheri L. Dew...
Go Forward with Faith: The Biography of Gordon B. Hinckley No Doubt About It If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard: And Other Reassuring Truths God Wants A Powerful People Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography