Start by marking “To Take Place: Toward Theory in Ritual” as Want to Read:
To Take Place: Toward Theory in Ritual

To Take Place: Toward Theory in Ritual

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this broad-ranging inquiry into ritual and its relation to place, Jonathan Z. Smith prepares the way for a new approach to the comparative study of religion.

Smith stresses the importance of place—in particular, constructed ritual environments—to a proper understanding of the ways in which "empty" actions become rituals. He structures his argument around the territories
Published November 15th 1992 by University Of Chicago Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about To Take Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Take Place

Samuel
In Jonathan Z. Smith’s To Take Place: Toward Theory in Ritual, the author puts forth a primary topic on a matter of theory: “the issue of ritual and its relation to place.” Smith traces the Christian liturgical year to its Judaic counterpart, the enterprise of Mishnah, and also examines the Tjilpa group of Australian aborigines in order to form his theory of ritual tied to the sacralization of spaces. He focuses primarily on two sites in Jerusalem: the Temple of Solomon (and its rebuilt counterp ...more
Amy Lawton
I read "To Take Place" for a graduate seminar called "Religion, Space, and Place." I certainly side with all the other reviewers in recognizing J.Z. Smith's theoretical brilliance and the significance of this work. Although this is definitely not a work of theology, I found Smith's theories to ritual to be understandable in terms of my personal theology as a Unitarian Universalist -- a primary reason why I study comparative religion.

That being said, the book's structure is confusing, even for h
Zacharygs
Again, nobody does work like J Z Smith, but both of the books I read this week get 4 stars for only hinting (usefully!) at the edges of the theoretical brilliance he brings to bear in Drudgery Divine. You can, in this sense, trace the contours of Smith's thought as he zeroes in on the central importance of Protestant classification as anti-catholic polemic and the protestant creation of "religion" as a category.

Of central importance in this book is his geographic and topographic emphasis, drawin
Greg
This is a fabulous book! It is so significant as to be required reading for every student of religious studies. In it Smith brings the spatial dimension to analyzing ritual. That is, rituals take place somewhere, and it is the act of demarcating sacred space the makes things sacred. The other valuable contribution is that be blows up the 100 year old notion that rituals are myths acted out, and blows up the 50 year old notion that ritual must be analyzed as "text". Instead, ritual needs to be un ...more
Beth
Can't be a good comparative scholar without knowing your Smith, and this one was AWESOME. He essentially removes the urgency for a sacred "space" by reminding us that it is ritual (such as the liturgical year) that transforms our conception of time. Ritual becomes the sacred, and therefore, sacred space should be viewed as any place where one can practice.
Samuel Brown
Great fun. Smith remains the best theorist of religion currently writing. Fascinating to watch this protracted boxing match with Eliade and useful to think about the ways in which ritual represents the assertion of difference. Glad I finally got around to reading it.
Miller Sherling
J.Z. Smith is wonderful at tweaking readers' perspectives. The most noticeable shift (in terms of change/time) I've made in my thinking in my life was from reading him. This was the 2nd of his books I read, not quite as awesome as the first, reviewed elsewhere.
Elizabeth Goldsmith
Elizabeth Goldsmith marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
C.J.
C.J. added it
Aug 09, 2014
Kate Pennington
Kate Pennington marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Leni
Leni marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Claude Graves
Claude Graves marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
Lynda Patterson
Lynda Patterson marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jonathan Z. Smith is the Robert O. Anderson Distinguished Service Professor of the Humanities at the University of Chicago where he is also a member of the Committee on the History of Culture.
More about Jonathan Z. Smith...
Imagining Religion: From Babylon to Jonestown Relating Religion: Essays in the Study of Religion Drudgery Divine: On the Comparison of Early Christianities and the Religions of Late Antiquity Map is not Territory: Studies in the History of Religions On Teaching Religion: Essays by Jonathan Z. Smith