Start by marking “Manciù” as Want to Read:
Manciù

Manciù (Imperial China #2)

Vivace rievocazione della vita nella Cina nel XVII sec.: la caduta dell’impero Ming a opera dei Tartari. Cartina alla sguardia.
Published March 1982 by Club del Libro (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Manciù, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manciù

Joyce
Jan 18, 2017 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Readers must remember that this book was written in 1984, before some of the more recent upgrades in attitudes towards women. Women in China have always – and still – have a problem with male attitudes. The portrait of a woman as subservient would be even more applicable back in the 17th Century than even now.

This is an exciting book about China, albeit somewhat condescending regarding an Englishman coming to the rescue, as per usual in these types of books. The ruling Ming dynasty is be
Jc
Oct 20, 2016 Jc rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
China in the early 17th century, a Young English catholic lieutenant in the portuguese army gives a hand to the Chinese to fight the Mongols. It sounded very promising. After 110 pages nothing has happened, there is a myriad of different characters none very endearing or interesting. I give up.
Andrea
Jan 30, 2017 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I already was familiar with Robert Elegant having read his articles on Asia in Newsweek and the Los Angeles Times over the years.

This book is a reissue. What I also didn't realize is that it's part of a trilogy--Manchu is the first novel, followed by Mandarin, then Dynasty. A huge commitment if you are so inclined.

If you like historical fiction [as I do] and especially that on Asia [here, in particular, China], this may be the
John
Apr 14, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china
This was a really well-written novel of the Manchu takeover of China (spoiler alert, the Manchu win) that does well to bring the reader into not only the intricacies of the Ming and Manchu courts, but also into the culture and history of the times. It's an interesting point of view, to put the reader into the mind and heart of Francis Arrowsmith, an English artilleryman, who is assisting the Jesuit Mission to China. The story is told almost entirely from the point of Catholic characters, giving ...more
Ajay
Jan 16, 2012 Ajay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it in School. Picked it up at random from the school library shelves and was hooked. It was a rollicking good yarn. I learned a bit more about Chinese culture and felt enriched. Of course this was before the internet and growing up in India where you idea of Chinese culture would be Bruce Lee and Hong Kong Martial Arts films.
Jaime Contreras
Throw in soem passion, great battle scenes and a look into the mystery and intrigue of the royal Chinese court, and you have a winner. I enjoyed this tale of old China through the eyes of an Englishman.
Joost
Oct 17, 2012 Joost rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short review;

- Overall a good book
- Interesting description of China during the Ming Dynasty
- Missing parts in the storyline that in my opinion could've made it better
- Some parts seem superfluous
- Probably more fun to read while in China (due to references)
Elsa Binder
Mar 01, 2009 Elsa Binder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at random in the high school library shelves. I still remember what a good read it was.
Marius van Blerck
I placed this book on my "to read" list solely on the basis of Spike Milligan's observation that "All men eat, but Fu Manchu".
Juanita
Juanita rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2011
Philip
Philip rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Michał Brzozko
Michał Brzozko rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Ann Drew
Ann Drew rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Barney Schwartz
Barney Schwartz rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Howard Phillips
Howard Phillips rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
May 13, 2011
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2010
Peter Russell
Peter Russell rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Tammy
Tammy rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Terri Adams
Terri Adams rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Dawn Barton
Dawn Barton rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Lesley
Lesley rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2015
Adrian Hunt
Adrian Hunt rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2017
Tony Phillips
Tony Phillips rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Vizara
Vizara rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Maria Vera
Maria Vera rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2011
Jonathon
Jonathon rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2011
Jane Chérie
Jane Chérie rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Dubhee
Dubhee rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Robert Sampson Elegant (born March 7, 1928) is a British-American author and journalist born in New York City. He spent many years in Asia as a journalist. The Asian settings of all but one of his novels reflect that experience. He covered both the Korean and the Vietnam Wars, as well as four or five lesser conflicts.
More about Robert S. Elegant...

Imperial China (3 books)