Start by marking “Prozac Backlash: Overcoming the Dangers of Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, and Other Antidepressants with Safe, Effective Alternatives” as Want to Read:

Roughly 28 million Americans -- one in every ten -- have taken Prozac, Zoloft, or Paxil or a similar antidepressant, yet very few patients are aware of the dangers of these drugs, nor are they aware that better, safer alternatives exist. Now Harvard Medical School's Dr. Joseph Glenmullen documents the ominous long-term side effects associated with these and other serotonin ...more
Published April 17th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Prozac Backlash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prozac Backlash

Jo
May 01, 2009 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"the medication may have lifted the depression, but instead of allowing me to connect with the world it has surrounded me in another kind of fog. Most of the time, I am simply numb. Everything feels flat, as if I'm living in some uninflected world without substance, depth, or meaning...It's as though a valve inside of me has been turned almost shut, reducing my emotions to a slow trickle, where they once burst forth in a powerful flood." (85).
_____________________________________________________
Ed David
Mar 04, 2007 Ed David rated it it was amazing
This is a good starting point when a friend/loved one is about to go on some kind of anti-depressant. A stark warning against casual acceptance of these medicines.
Meggityb
Jan 20, 2008 Meggityb rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ellen
I wish I would have read this before I had taken Prozac for 15 years (about 13 years longer than absolutely necessary).
Alis Sun
Jul 21, 2016 Alis Sun rated it it was amazing
I read this book while in college as an aspiring psychology major. I was learning about the pros and cons of medication but this book really opened my eyes. This book is very informative and one I've recommended to many of my friends and coworkers.
Sara
May 15, 2016 Sara rated it did not like it
I wanted to hear the author's take on the topic, and I learned a lot, however, I still- on most accounts- entirely disagree with his opinions. A very interesting read.
Sarah Vendetti
Jan 23, 2008 Sarah Vendetti rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
One of those books you read, but you don't ever really talk about. I mean who isn't on anti-depressants. Exactly the point.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Sharon
Sharon added it
Aug 09, 2016
Dianalyn Lopez
Dianalyn Lopez marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Aleksandar
Aleksandar marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Tyler Mostul
Tyler Mostul rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Chloe Shriber
Chloe Shriber is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2016
Mrs Ruth Bradley
Mrs Ruth Bradley rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Cesar Mercado
Cesar Mercado marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Ariella
Ariella rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Ary
Ary marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Madeline Weltchek
Madeline Weltchek marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Breanna Towne
Breanna Towne marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Tag Kinnaman
Tag Kinnaman marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Khursheed
Khursheed marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Suey Baarle
Suey Baarle rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Oct 02, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Gene
Gene marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

“Psychotherapy consists of deciphering the code and bringing the flag, or symptoms, down in the process. By contrast, medications only suppress symptoms. They are like crutches or Band-Aids. By themselves, they are never a cure. As such, they should be used only as adjuncts to the real healing, aids used to buy time and protect the healing process. Since medications entail risks and dangers, they should be used only when truly necessary. The least invasive medication should always be chosen, and even then, medication should be used judiciously.” 0 likes