Start by marking “Prozac Backlash: Overcoming the Dangers of Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, and Other Antidepressants with Safe, Effective Alternatives” as Want to Read:

Roughly 28 million Americans -- one in every ten -- have taken Prozac, Zoloft, or Paxil or a similar antidepressant, yet very few patients are aware of the dangers of these drugs, nor are they aware that better, safer alternatives exist. Now Harvard Medical School's Dr. Joseph Glenmullen documents the ominous long-term side effects associated with these and other serotonin ...more
Published April 17th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Prozac Backlash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prozac Backlash

Jo
May 01, 2009 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"the medication may have lifted the depression, but instead of allowing me to connect with the world it has surrounded me in another kind of fog. Most of the time, I am simply numb. Everything feels flat, as if I'm living in some uninflected world without substance, depth, or meaning...It's as though a valve inside of me has been turned almost shut, reducing my emotions to a slow trickle, where they once burst forth in a powerful flood." (85).
_____________________________________________________
Ed David
Mar 04, 2007 Ed David rated it it was amazing
This is a good starting point when a friend/loved one is about to go on some kind of anti-depressant. A stark warning against casual acceptance of these medicines.
Meggityb
Jan 20, 2008 Meggityb rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ellen
I wish I would have read this before I had taken Prozac for 15 years (about 13 years longer than absolutely necessary).
Allison
Jul 21, 2016 Allison rated it it was amazing
I read this book while in college as an aspiring psychology major. I was learning about the pros and cons of medication but this book really opened my eyes. This book is very informative and one I've recommended to many of my friends and coworkers.
Sarah Vendetti
Jan 23, 2008 Sarah Vendetti rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
One of those books you read, but you don't ever really talk about. I mean who isn't on anti-depressants. Exactly the point.
Sara
May 15, 2016 Sara rated it did not like it
I wanted to hear the author's take on the topic, and I learned a lot, however, I still- on most accounts- entirely disagree with his opinions. A very interesting read.
Candice
Candice rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2013
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2008
Allison Brown
Allison Brown rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Justin Reilly
Justin Reilly rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Paula Moreshead
Paula Moreshead rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Ariella
Ariella rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Ginnya
Ginnya rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2013
Tree
Tree rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Katarina
Katarina rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Kelcy
Kelcy rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Austin
Austin rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2010
Suey Baarle
Suey Baarle rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2010
Mrs Ruth Bradley
Mrs Ruth Bradley rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
May 27, 2014
V
V rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2012
Diana Ruth Horowitz
Diana Ruth Horowitz rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Marisa
Marisa rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012

“Psychotherapy consists of deciphering the code and bringing the flag, or symptoms, down in the process. By contrast, medications only suppress symptoms. They are like crutches or Band-Aids. By themselves, they are never a cure. As such, they should be used only as adjuncts to the real healing, aids used to buy time and protect the healing process. Since medications entail risks and dangers, they should be used only when truly necessary. The least invasive medication should always be chosen, and even then, medication should be used judiciously.” 0 likes