Start by marking “Cold Blooded” as Want to Read:
Cold Blooded

Cold Blooded (New Orleans #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  5,829 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews
His Vengeance Will Be Repeated... A woman's slashed, incinerated corpse is found in a seedy New Orleans apartment. Her killer is certain there were no witnesses, unaware that his every move was seen by a beautiful stranger--from her bed in a bayou cottage on the outskirts of town. . .

And Repeated...

Weeks later, another violent vision shatters Olivia Bechet's sleep. Convinc
Published June 1st 2002 by Zebra Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Blooded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Blooded

Alex is The Romance Fox
Lisa Jackson is brilliant at creating nail-biting and exciting suspenseful romantic thrillers with some really scary and evil villains and characters that just pull you in.

Cold Blooded is the 2nd book in the New Orleans Series, is the follow up to Hot Blooded ….my review on it http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54... and having read most of the series before, I have become quite attached to the characters which appear in each story.

Rick Bentz…I so really like this man…what he has gone through i
beloved books by Tine
the beste ever
Kellie
Jan 11, 2009 Kellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so, I have an issue with the way Lisa Jackson ends her books. Or rather, doesn't end them. This is yet another example where she spends over 400 pages dragging you along to solve gruesome crimes, everything geared up for the climax...that NEVER comes. Perhaps that isn't accurate. You do get to know the "who done it," however, it is never completely finished.

All of that being said, I enjoyed it...up until the last 25 pages...when it dawned on me that she was once again, not going to end a bo
Diane
Aug 31, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in her New Orleans series - liked it. It picks up where the first book "Hot Blooded" left off. A subtle hint here and there as to who the serial killer might be but nothing concrete, plus a couple of red herrings. The main characters are likeable guys - good cops, and both with baggage/issues.

This is a pretty good series, highly recommend it for those that like a good mystery, with a bit of woowoo and suspense!

2 thumbs up and 4.5 stars (and yes there is a TSTL or two)!
William
Feb 25, 2015 William rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the absolute worst book I've ever read! There are about 200 pages where nothing happens. I never want to see or hear the word 'rump' ever again. Everyone is disturbingly horny in this book and the sex scenes are about as comfortable as imagining your grandparents getting it on. I recommend this only to people who think James Patterson and Dean Koontz are good authors!
Sharon
Jun 22, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Olivia Benchet is dealing with the death of her cherished grandmother. Fortunately, she is able to keep her house and relive the wonderful memories they shared. Olivia's mother is not such a good provider or role model so her grandmother is about all she had. Her father is spending time in a federal penitentiary, and Olivia was not even told about him until she was grown. One of the special and unique aspects of Olivia's grandmother is that she was a "seer" and it appears she's handed this down ...more
Trudy
Oct 17, 2010 Trudy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the New Orleans series... picks up where Hot Blooded leaves off... A second serial killer is hunting women and killing them in the manner of martyed saints. There is only one witness, Olivia Benchet... except there is a catch, she "sees" him through psychic visions. Bentz and Montoya are skeptical at first, but when Olivia's visions start proving out, they have no choice but to believe her. There are a couple other character overlaps with Hot Blooded, but for the most ...more
Stefani
Sep 16, 2011 Stefani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, owned
Second in the "New Orleans" series from Lisa Jackson, this is a worthy followup to its predecessor. It has been 6 months since the Rosary Killer stalked the streets of New Orleans and detectives Bentz and Montoya had to hunt him down and stop him. But now another serial killer is slaughtering women in a highly ritualistic manner. The killings are not connected until Olivia Benchet comes to Detective Bentz and insists that she is a psychic and saw the most recent murder, and the ones before it to ...more
Destiny'jayy
Nov 09, 2011 Destiny'jayy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing; well if you're into mysteries, romance, and magic that is. Throughout this entire book the reader becomes apart of the many different events, and starts to place him or herself inside the fantasy land of this book. Even the emotions of characters will capture the reader and affect them in the same way as the characters are affected.
The main character Olivia Benchet is cursed with a gift that has been passed down to her from her grandmother. And when her grandmother dies she
Melanie Chabrol-
Excellent and well written! OLivia Benchet has inheritted a gift from her late grandmother she has ESP. Some people think it is a gift while others think it is curse. Suddenly she is seeing visions of murders taking place. She goes to the police department to only be labeled as crazy and cooky.
Is it really when Det. Benz is called in to a case he realizes that OLivia nailed it and is suddenly more interested in what she has to say. STill skeptical how can this beautiful lady be so WEIRD.
Then a
Vicky
Aug 24, 2015 Vicky rated it it was ok
This is the second in the New Orleans series after Hot Blooded. Cold Blooded is suspenseful and the main romance in the story isn't quite as cheesy as Hot Blooded. But, like Hot Blooded, this book is an over the top melodrama with much of the same plot points as the previous book. Once again a twisted serial killer is loose in New Orleans, and once again the killer is driven by his own twisted/perverted/sick interpretation of Catholic faith. Worst of all, the murders are quite gruesome and perve ...more
Bettynz
Totally couldn't put it down once started, and resisting the temptation to order the next one immediately. I'm really liking the 2 lead detectives, and that there is a new main female character in the 2nd book (while keeping reference to the main female lead from book 1 & tying up that particular story nicely too). It will be interesting to see where Ms Jackson leads Detectives Bentz & Montoya next. I'd like to see a bit more character development for Montoya, and given the loose end con ...more
Susanne Leist
Dec 19, 2016 Susanne Leist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy all of Lisa Jackson's books. This one is a little slower than the rest. A serial kills, then kills, and kills again. The backdrop of New Orleans is always good for murder and mystery. Her characters have depth. I would have liked a faster pace. I put the book down several times before I picked it up the last time to finish it.
Phillip W
Jan 18, 2016 Phillip W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a Thriller!

Lisa Jackson is masterful. She never fails to weave oh their a great mystery while maintaining the commitment to romance needed to be true to that genre as well. I really enjoy getting to know her primary characters. They're becoming my friends. Check her out. I think you'll become a fan, too!
Loretta
Olivia's family is messed up! Eep!

As for Father James and Detective Bents' relationship? oh... wow...

I will be returning to read this one again as I am sure that there are nuances I missed this first time through. As for the feasts of saints calendar? It is amazing and quite appalling to see what it took to canonize these ladies.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS
Meredith Miyake
Let me say first that if you enjoyed this book, you are absolutely entitled to read and enjoy whatever you like and good for you, carry on. Now stop reading this review.

What the fuck did I just read?

I will admit that I don't read a lot of romance novels, since I have little patience for many of the common literary tropes in the genre. That said, I feel this was a poor representation.

Mainly: all y'all need therapy.

Seriously, is it too much to ask for a single example of a rational and functional
Sonia Cristina
Hesitei muito entre 2 e 3 estrelas; acaba por ficar nas 3 porque sei que o meu estado de espírito não foi o melhor.
Com exceção de Bentz e Montoya, não gostei das personagens e ainda menos do triângulo amoroso que surgiu que era completamente escusado. É melhor nem pensar mais nisso ou ainda mudo para as 2 estrelas.
Melindaaaa
Mar 05, 2017 Melindaaaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paráda! Určitě hodlám v sérii pokračovat :) Je zajímavý, jak jsou díly propojeny jen tak okrajově, ale přitom je jasné, že jde o sérii.
Recenze brzy
Donna B. Gee
Mar 23, 2017 Donna B. Gee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

I enjoyed this book immensely. Loved the characters, plot, and setting. Kept me guessing, right to the end. Would recommend to everyone.
Desert Rose
Oct 31, 2009 Desert Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the New Orleans series.

A serial killer is on the loose again in New Orleans and Detective Rick Bentz is on the case. Women are found brutally tortured and murdered in very weird ways. With a hint of religious rituals in the mix.
Olivia Benchet seems to see glimpses of the murder while it's being committed but can't see the murderer. She goes to the cops to try to help but is not very welcome.

When the killer seems to be getting close to home, Detective Bentz needs to get
Sharon
Mar 03, 2017 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, new-orleans
This is the second of the Bentz/Montoya novels that I've read, and I have the third one on my eReader. Once again, we have a serial killer on the streets of New Orleans ... one who calls himself The Chosen One and sees himself as ridding the world of sinners.

So, we see the same two detectives we met in Hot Blooded trying to solve the crime -- with the complication that Olivia Benchet is a witness because of her ESP, and she's trying to get Detective Bentz to believe her story. This is all made v
Loretta Gibson
I made myself read the first three chapters, but that was it.
I borrowed this book and three others (Shiver, Lost Souls and Absolute Fear) from the library, I'm glad I didn't waste my money on them. While I had them I went ahead and thumbed through them. They all had the same primary theme, the antagonist is a religious sexual psycho.
I believe New Orleans has more to offer than that.
ArtfullySinful
The press kept him alive long after he should've been buried.

Rick Bentz, a cop with a hardened profession, forcing himself to keep romance from dancing in the spotlight of his heart again, after him first wife Jennifer, cheated on him so many times, bearing his beloved daughter Kristi to light in the air of infidelity. Kristi's actual father, Father James McClaren, a priest who kept that secret so far buried, trying to mend the shattered relationship between him and his half brother, all while d
Gaynell
Feb 25, 2017 Gaynell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy a good serial killer story (although the villain was a little bit to fascinated on rear ends to suit me). The story was a bit long but it was worth the read.
Laura M
This one is a hard one to review. spoilers ahead

The suspence bit at the end was as always amazing. Lisa Jackson does those always very well. But the problem is, that the rest was just ... meh.

It seems as if Jackson couldn't decide where she wanted to put more weight into, the crime bit or the romance bit. What came out was neither a thriller nor a romance. Olivia and Rick share one single moment where you could say: ah! here it starts. And it ends with it as well. The rest of the book he shoves
Alasandra Alawine
OK, I have read this one out of order so I kinda knew some of the stuff that was going to happen. It was nice to read about how Bentz and Olivia got together.

Olivia has "visions" of women being ruthless murdered. She goes to the cops and a very skeptical Bentz slowly starts to believe her. Olivia also seeks advice from a priest, Father James, unaware that he is Bentz's half brother and their very troubled history. She is sexually attracted to both men and they to her, but her heart belongs to Be
Nura
Mar 24, 2011 Nura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kota New Orleans kembali dikejutkan dengan ditemukannya jasad tiga orang wanita yang tewas dalam keadaan mengenaskan. Dengan latar belakang yang berbeda-beda, satu-satunya kesamaan ketiga korban tersebut adalah medali para santa yang ditinggalkan si pembunuh di dekat jasad mereka. Hanya satu orang yang menyaksikan bagaimana sang pembunuh menghabisi nyawa para wanita itu, meskipun hanya lewat mimpi. Orang tersebut adalah Olivia Benchet.

Awalnya, Olivia hanya memimpikan potongan-potongan kejadian s
Laurie D'ghent
I quite enjoyed the investigation aspect of this book, and the interactions between the characters, but there were bits that were too dark for my taste, and frequent sex scenes were a definite down point. Thankfully, within short order I was able to recognize them and skip over most of the junk. Jackson is a talented author, but I wouldn't read more. Wish I would have written down the names of all the characters from the beginning.
Jim C
Mar 24, 2015 Jim C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating is 3.5 stars.

This is a second book of a series but it can be read as a stand alone novel. In this one, there is another serial killer loose in New Orleans and he has ties to the serial killer found in the first novel. Olivia has some kind of connection with this killer that allows her to have visions of his killings. She goes to the police in hopes of helping them catch the culprit.

I enjoyed this novel. The author does exactly what I want from a murder mystery novel. There is the sadis
ACPL Online Book ...: Question #3 (Spoiler) 2 6 Jun 20, 2016 08:15AM
  • Don't Cry
  • Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2)
  • Sudden Death (FBI Trilogy, #1)
  • I Can See You (Romantic Suspense, #10; Minneapolis, #1)
  • Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #3)
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2; John Mancini #4)
  • Outlaw (Medieval Trilogy, #3)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

More about Lisa Jackson...

New Orleans (8 books)
  • Hot Blooded (New Orleans #1)
  • Shiver (New Orleans #3)
  • Absolute Fear (New Orleans, #4)
  • Lost Souls (New Orleans, #5)
  • Malice (New Orleans, #6)
  • Devious (New Orleans, #7)
  • Never Die Alone (New Orleans, #8)