Start by marking “The Prophecy of the Stones” as Want to Read:
The Prophecy of the Stones

The Prophecy of the Stones

3.51  ·  Rating Details ·  4,897 Ratings  ·  435 Reviews
The Prophecy of the Stones: A Novel
Published April 6th 2004 by Miramax Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Prophecy of the Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prophecy of the Stones

Amber
Nov 06, 2008 Amber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My faith in the public's ability to choose good literature has been completely destroyed by this book. Written by a 15 year old French writer, I cannot believe it has been published in multiple languages, and that it's average review is nearly a four. You must be kidding. The writing is incredibly stilted (I am feeling a great deal of pity for Middle School English teachers, if this passes for "really good" teen writing), and the plot has so many holes that it isn't even coherent in places. Near ...more
Veronica Morfi
May 26, 2011 Veronica Morfi rated it it was amazing
Jade, Opal and Amber are three totally different girls.

Jade is rich living with her father, spends half her time daydreaming, and the other half landed in reality.

Opal is living in with her aunts in a normal town, with everyday-life destroying her fantasy.

Amber is poor living with her sick mother, with her mind never in the real life, always dreaming.

They all have the same birth day, and when they turn 14 their parents tell them they are adopted and give them their birth stones. After that they
Kinga
Sep 05, 2011 Kinga rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids 9-12
I first read this when I was 10 or 11, and rather liked it (probably partly because it was written by a teen, and I also want to be an author), so much so that when I saw it available in the used book store I shop at frequently a year or two later, I bought it. When I googled the book to learn more about the author, I was pretty surprised to find out that it had mainly negative reviews.

For the intended audience of ages 9-12, it is certainly an entertaining read (for example, I loved the idea of
Mike
What the fuck?

I mean, what the fuck?

I'm not sure I've ever read a book this terrible before. The only one that could possibly be as bad as this one is Trapped by Michael Northrop. And even then, it's close. This is very close to the worst book I've ever read. I have so many issues with it that I'm afraid I'm going to forget some. But, here we go. Here is a list of things that made this a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad reading experience:

Black-and-white morality
I'm not sure if this is the
Tynnika
Jan 01, 2012 Tynnika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin, I'll admit it. I haven't read this book in sometime and it is an old childhood favourite. This is, in fact, a review that I've edited from 2012. So forgive me for how terrible it is, but I really want to share with you one of the books that made my childhood special.

It was actually a giant fluke that I found this book. When I go to libraries and can't find anything to read I generally stand in front of a shelf, close my eyes and pull out a random book. Sometimes they're good, and
Elaine
Oct 03, 2011 Elaine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite lacking, to say the least. The characters were underdeveloped, the plot was a little shaky and the two or three instances of love at first sight were what really made reading this book a chore. I think that there were some very good ideas and parts in this book, but the writing just wasn't very good. Honestly, I was relieved when I finished it.
Liz Janet
Mar 16, 2015 Liz Janet rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
description

It is obvious that this book was written by someone that cannot actually write but was published anyways. The age is irrelevant, people can write masterpieces at whatever age they write their work, this is far from a masterpiece.

description

There are very talented young people, and old people, out there that have written literature, whether for young-adults, or elderly women, truly valuable books. But this is the type of book that gets published. I have read so many brilliant books with less ratings and re
Carrie
Aug 16, 2009 Carrie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up in the kids' section at Barnes and Noble a couple of years back. I remember reading it and thinking, "Is this the best she can do?"

This story follows the tale of three totally different girls as they a) find these strange gems, b) quarrel non-stop about nothing at all, c) fall in love with completely irrational men over the course of just a few hours, and d) fight the oh-so-scary villain whose purpose is unclear. Along the way, they run into crabby old ladies, orc-like min
Sohvi
Onhan tämä nyt parempi kuin mitään mitä itse olisin kirjoittanut 12-vuotiaana, mutta ei tää nyt silti hyvä ole.
Lily
Feb 06, 2015 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aren't you excited to read the book which was written when the author was 12? I think this book will crawl up to your Top 3 favourite book chart.

The book consists the three girls;Jade, Opal, and Amber but when they turned into 14, their life were changed. On their 14th birthday, they faced the tragic of knowing the people they thought that they were their parents turned out that they were their foster parents. They each were given red velvet pouches which contained stones that tells them about t
Molly
Jan 15, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Challenge #44 A book that was originally written in a different language (popsugar 2015 reading challenge: http://tinyurl.com/mmbkthd)
~Megan~
Apr 26, 2010 ~Megan~ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This review has some spoilers, but if you haven't read this book, you may not understand everything I'm saying. Even if you have read it, you may not understand me...:)

Um...uh...well...I finished reading this a few days ago, and I'm still trying to figure out what the point of it was. I can't believe that this girl is a 'literary sensation'!
Perhaps it lost something in the translation from French, though. My dad says that in French, flowery language actually sounds good. I don't mind descriptiv
Amy
If you come to this book expecting great literature, or the next epic fantasy novel, you'll be disappointed. But if you come to it to read a story written by a thirteen year old girl who loves to write and has a healthy mix of creativity and imagination in her life, you'll probably be pleased with what you find. I've certainly read less solid works by adults. Sure there may be holes in the plot, or some other problems in the writing, but the story works just fine. The plot is pretty straightforw ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
All of my reviews are spoiler free (unless stated otherwise) so you can go ahead and read my review!

First things first, I just want to point out that the author of this book first started writing it when she was 12 and by the time she was 14, it was a published book. Just let that sink in for a moment..........

WOW. The fact that a 12 year old can come up with such a cool idea and then put pen to paper and create a 400+ page book that is good enough to be published just blows my mind!

This is onl
Becca
Oct 08, 2013 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a world in a parallel universe, where everything is owned and monitered by the shadowy 'Council of Twelve'
Three very different girls from three very different lives are brought together by the mysterious fate that changes everything, starting on the night of their fourteenth birthday. Suddenly, their lives are intertwined by 'The Prophecy' something so old and so important that it's secret is always guarded by the Council of Twelve. Why? Because it reveals the truth about Fairytale, the
Michelle
Nov 22, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I randomly picked this book off the shelf and read the book note by the publisher. The author is 15 from Romania...he said "Once in a while a book emerges that is a truly captivating blend of adventure, powerful emotion and sensitivity, a novel that is going to be cherished for many years." I decided I HAD to read it...

Okay, so I am finished and was amazed that a 14 year old wrote it...there was some vocab I had to look up. :) I didn't give it a 5 because I felt that some of the conflicts were t
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Prophecy, war, friendship, family, good.

I loved this book when I was a young teen. But reading it again over a decade later it just didn't have the same magic.
Debbie Hazeleger
Dec 13, 2009 Debbie Hazeleger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Trish
Sep 27, 2010 Trish rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How much was lost or added in translation? The writing is both mature (for a 12-year-old) and blatant fairy princess fodder. I listened to the audio book with the children whenever we got in the car and I felt it was entertaining enough. The reader made all kinds of voices and I felt she did a good job even though her male characters sounded lazy, like surfer dudes.

I don't mean to criticize, but the best thing about this book is that it was written by a pre-teen. She was patient and tried to pu
Līga Sproģe
Tas tik bija nostaļğijas gājiens xD Būtībā esmu šai grāmatai parādā savu dzīvi / rakstīšanas karjeru, tāpēc uz sava darba desmitgadi pārlasīju.
Objektīvi spriest nevaru, šī ir bērnības klasika. Joprojām vienu mežu saucu par Ornimelu galīgi nepiedomājot par izcelsmi. Sākumā spriedu, ka būs pa blatu jāieliek 3 zvaigznes ne 2, bet ievads bija tik briesmīgs, ka vairāk izskatījās pēc 2-ne-1 situācijas :D Cilvēkiem līdz 18 gadu vecumam vispār derētu aizliegt izdot grāmatas. Šī tik ļoti skan kā mana dar
karupinx
Jul 07, 2010 karupinx rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a good read since I was hearing all these positive reviews about this book but I was extremely disappointed. And since appalled may be too strong of a word, I will just say that I was also unhappy with what I found. The story isn't too bad but this book itself was poorly written. I don't want to say that it's because a teen wrote it since I know that there are many talented teen authors out there, but you can definitely tell that the author was inexperienced. The writing was horr ...more
Grace
May 15, 2011 Grace rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure if this book had been written by an adult it never would have been published. I suppose it's well written for a teen, but as a teen myself, I know several people who could write books that were much more imaginative and well written. I'm not sure if the writing was so stilted in the original French, but even if it wasn't, the plot was still boring and predictable. I found this book very disappointing. This book was pretty good for being written by a fourteen year old, but not good enoug ...more
Samantha
Mar 08, 2009 Samantha marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I tried my very best to give this book a fair chance. However, I found it very tiresome and the plot didn't seem to flow well. The three "characters" had no demensions or depth, except for their financial statuses in life.

The chapters were long and seemed to remain on one subject, barely moving forward until the next "chapter", which I also found most unbearable. I gave up on this book half way through, and do not intend to return to it.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
it was okay. not much to say about it. it was written by some french fourteen-year-old who claims to have written it within sixth months (if that is true, it explains why it isn't very good). disorganized plot, bland characters, didn't make much sense. i felt like the author was totally overcomplicating the plot, with like five stories going on at once. not very good. i wish i could find a good book written by a teen author, since i want to become one. lol.
Barbara
Apr 09, 2010 Barbara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aspiring preteen girl writers
Boring, repetitive, desperately in need of some direction. This was a big hit in Europe and young preteens will love it because it was written by a young lady who has been mentioned as somewhere between 12 and 14 years old. However, I had to drag myself through it. I'm not even sure why I bothered. Three girls discover they have a similar destiny and reluctantly embark upon a quest to save their world. Yadda yadda.
Magda
Feb 17, 2012 Magda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It isn't often that I come across my mother-in-law's maiden name, so I thought I'd give this book a try. And it was definitely trying. I looked up the author and discovered that she was young (not quite "The Young Visiters" young, but still) and managed to forgive many of the bizarre pieces in the story as simply immature. ... But I don't think I'd be willing to read this again.
Elizabeth
May 25, 2011 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even though the book is nearly 400 pages, everything felt too rushed, like Bujor was trying to write the novel too quickly, just to get it over with. Had she taken her time and gone into more detail and plot explanation, the book would have been a lot better and not so much fluff. A rather disappointing read.
Kaela
Apr 30, 2011 Kaela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
... lost in translation?

I feel that that is what must have happened here. This book was terrible, I had to force myself through it. The plot it cliche to the extreme, the dialogue unwitty, the characters two dimensional, not to mention complete beeotches.

I think that must of this was lost in translation... because if it wasn't, then this is complete crap.
Kristina
Nov 02, 2012 Kristina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by a 15 year old, and it definitely shows. It was soooo incredibly cheesy, totally unimaginative, and not very skillfully written. I read this when I was in middle school, and even back then I thought it was silly. I'm really confused as to why everyone loves it so much.
Abby
Jan 10, 2012 Abby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful.
  • La Louve et l'Enfant (La Moïra, #1)
  • The Mystery of Lord Sha (Book of the Stars, #2)
  • The Nostradamus Prophecy
  • Sign of the Crescent
  • Το σεντούκι με τις πέντε κλειδαριές
  • The Babylon Game (The Seven Fabulous Wonders, #2)
  • The Time Witches
  • Laura und das Geheimnis von Aventerra (Laura, #1)
  • Cry of the Wolf (Avalon: Web of Magic #3)
  • Crimson Hero, Volume 7
  • Маг полуночи (Мефодий Буслаев, #1)
  • Eagle (Five Ancestors, #5)
  • Fairy Treasure
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • Whispering to Witches
  • Nijura: Das Erbe der Elfenkrone
Flavia Bujor (born August 8, 1988) is a French novelist of Romanian origin. Her first book was the children's story The Prophecy of the Stones or The Prophecy of The Gems (original title: "La Prophétie des Pierres"). She began writing this novel at the age of 12 and it became phenomanally successful and is being published in at least 24 different countries. She lived in Romania until the age of tw ...more
More about Flavia Bujor...