Start by marking “The Shattered City (Creature Court, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shattered City (Creature Court, #2)

The Shattered City (Creature Court Trilogy #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In the city of Aufleur, the Creature Court of the night has chosen a new Power and Majesty ... but can she reconcile her creature form with her human world of daylight. She could hear that laughter again, and for a moment Velody was confused, not sure which dead man was mocking her. Velody now holds the leadership of the Creature Court. the unsteady alliances within the Co ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Shattered City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shattered City

Leonie
Jan 12, 2016 Leonie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this second book in the series just as much as I enjoyed the first one.

The character development was particularly strong, and the story became more complex - satisfyingly so. I became extremely attached to several characters, and enjoyed following their journeys as the stakes rose higher and higher.

The Creature Court itself is a fascinating concept, and makes for a story full of surprises and twists. In this book, The Shattered City, there were a lot of 'almosts' where the character lo
Celia Powell
May 01, 2011 Celia Powell rated it really liked it
This was a fantastic follow up to Power and Majesty - as per the blurb, Velody is the Power and Majesty of the Creature Court (the fantastical band of shape shifters who protect the city of Aufleur each night from the terrible threat in the sky). She's trying to be a better leader to the Creature Court than they have had before, and to inspire their loyalty and trust, but the threats they are facing seem ever increasing. Velody feels the incredible pressure of her position, her friends are als ...more
Thoraiya
Aug 11, 2011 Thoraiya rated it really liked it
Not as many surprises as in volume 1, but still rather enjoyable. As much as I love the beautiful cover, really, after reading the book I wanted to see the flame dress more than I wanted to see the museum dress. But I guess you have to have your actual protagonist on the cover at some point ;) Greatly entertaining juxtaposition between serious dramatic plot points and such one-liners as "The kitchen table required to be stared at a great deal" and "Licking blood from your fingers is hardly an ac ...more
Estara
Sep 08, 2012 Estara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
There was just too much of an emotional mess and teenager-like behaviour by the main characters to make me enjoy the second book as much as the first one and I just decided to spend my money elsewhere. I especially got annoyed at Ashiol's ennui and angst. I could understand it in the first part because of the horrific happenings, but here he became more like a spoiled pouting boy who ran from girl to girl because the first girl was unhappy with him.

I do have to admit that I think the worldbuildi
Tehani
May 15, 2011 Tehani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian, fantasy
Tansy makes me so cross! I got this book at Easter and, as I'm in the final throes of reading for the WA Premier's Book Awards, dutifully put it neatly on the shelf as a reward for later. Then I was sitting at the table and had no book in front of me so I picked it up and thought, I'll just read the first chapter. And then I read another chapter. And another. And I couldn't put the darn thing down!! Most CROSS Tansy - I wasn't supposed to be READING it then!!

Don't read this book without reading
Maren
Nov 12, 2015 Maren rated it liked it
I'm even more torn on this one than I was on the first book of the series. It kind of has the quality of a train wreck - rather horrifying, and yet you can't really look away.

The good: Amazing character development; good, bad, twisted, complicated, incredible character development. For everyone, not just the main characters - you really want to hate some of them, but you just... can't. It's a bit frustrating, actually.

The really not sure: The plots and subplots get plottier and subplottier. The
Melina
The middle book where everything falls to pieces . . .

To be honest, things were dissolving at the end of the first book, but The Shattered City just amped everything right up to a heightened level of ‘oh my goodness, that can’t happen! Can it?’

We start the book with a lot more knowledge about Aufleur and the Creature Court than when we opened the first book. We know about the many festivals which keep Velody, Delphine and Rhian in work, we know about the power plays and violence and alliances w
Nancy White
I gave the first book in this series somewhat of a rave review. Basically I said that it's not the best writing in the world but it is an awesome story.

I feel mostly the same way about the second book in the series. The ending was frustrating, I think the first book had a bit more of a conclusion than this one did. Although I suppose I'm getting used to this thing people are doing where they don't end their novels...

Anyways, it's good stuff and I really enjoyed reading it - I could barely put it
Alexandra
Jul 08, 2011 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
I read this about 10 weeks ago, and I'm not sure why I've left it til now to actually review it. I think it's because I read it too fast, and was then a bit shell-shocked. I couldn't face reviewing it immediately, and then I kept putting it off... so now the review isn't as good as it might have been, but I can at least tick it off my to-do list and move it to the bookshelf, rather than having it staring at me accusingly from the shelf above my computer...

Tansy is very very mean to her character
Sam
Nov 01, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-reads, books-i-own
Dark Matter
May 10, 2012 Dark Matter rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Velody, dressmaker and Power and Majesty of the Creature Court (Fae), creates a beautiful dress for Isangell, Ducomtessa of Aufleur (ruler of the city/state in which the story is set). In Power and Majesty (book one) Velody began having problems with shadows on her skin and in her vision; these problems have continued. Ashiol, the other King of the Creature Court and Isangell’s cousin, struggles to retain a shred of his sanity. Rhian, Velody’s friend, hides a secret for which she believes she ca ...more
Sean the Bookonaut
The Shattered City is book 2 of Tansy Rayner Roberts’ Creature Court Trilogy following on from Power and Majesty. The third and final book Reign of Beasts is to be released February 2nd1.

Don’t let the cover fool you- the Red Hot Chilli Peppers fifth album, Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic could have been an alternative title for this book.

Bloody action, liberal use of Animor (magic) and some very saucy sex scenes and the sugar…well there’s honey cakes.

In my review of Power and Majesty I stated that I f
Mark Webb
Jun 16, 2012 Mark Webb rated it really liked it
This review forms part of my contribution to theAustralian Women Writers 2012 Reading Challenge. All my AWWC reviews can be foundhere.

The Shattered City by Tansy Rayner Roberts is book two of the Creature Court trilogy. I reviewed book one(Power and Majesty) a few months ago.

The Shattered Citypicks up where Power and Majesty leaves off. I'm finding that it is a bit hard to give any kind of plot synopsis of book two of a trilogy without giving away information about book one. Suffice to say that
Kaia Landelius
Jul 27, 2011 Kaia Landelius rated it it was amazing
Yes, this will be the most substantial and well thought-through review you have ever seen. It goes like this:

I've read this book three or four times now. It's so amazing to see it in print, without the [MAKE WRITE GOOD] notes in the margin. So yes, I'm slightly biased, but I will still say this:

Delphine is awesome, Heliora is heartbreaking, Rhian is beautiful, Poet is creepy and I still want to bone Ashiol.

PS. Every single of these three or possibly four times __________'s death has made me cry
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Adrielle
Oct 11, 2015 Adrielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I found this better than the first in the series. In this installment Velody is Power and majesty, she is the head honcho of the creature court. However, they are still up to their old tricks, there is division and in fighting but they are slowly learning to work together.
Yvonne Boag
May 14, 2012 Yvonne Boag rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Velody now leads the Creature Court but knows better then to trust any of them. The nox battles have taken a new form, growing harder to deal with and having repercussions that none of them can foresee. The Creature Court is fracturing and Velody may have to make a decision that is more then she can bare.

It starts slowly building towards a sinister air. As I read I found myself reading faster and faster to find out what was to come. It is a fabulous series that it rather different then anything
Clinton
I feel like Ive been way too negative in my reviews lately. But this book has to have one of the dumbest cast of characters I have ever seen.
Normally its only maybe one or to characters who ooze stupidity in a book, but The Shattered City signed up all its characters for that role.

Im not going to spend time going over all the stupid choices each character made, because I honestly don't have that kind of time or motivation.

The book is interesting, you just look past the obvious flaws if you wa
Moira
Jun 08, 2015 Moira rated it really liked it
24.2.2015 - 4*
Oh my. Musela jsem mezi prvním a druhým dílem přečíst pár jiných, optimističtějších knížek (Heroes od Moore posloužili dokonale), ale dostala jsem se k tomu zpátky.
Příběh se zamotal, více se soustředil na přítomnost příběhu, začala se objevovat dějová linie, která se bude táhnout až ke konci. Lehce méně depresivní. protože tam bylo zrnko naděje, ale stále... skličující. A plné tajemství a lstí. Originální a promyšlené. Intenzivní. A ten konec, damn!
Melanie
Jul 24, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
An entertaining follow up book, that had me wondering what could possibly happen next!? A decadent, dangerous world of which I can't wait to enter again.
Matt
Oct 13, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Enjoying this fantasy story. The huge amount of festivals in Aufleur seems to be an impossible burden for any society to carry. However, if one must suspend credibility in one area, ...
Not quite sure why all the sex -- implied and realised -- has to be present. The story works very well without the tawdriness.
Coyora Dokusho
Jan 06, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it it was amazing
It was soooooo good!! Glad there are only three so I can read them all in a day!!! (almost XD)
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Aug 04, 2011 Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, read-2011
Oh how utterly amazing.

Any country who doesn't publish this series? You're utterly crazy.
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2016
Tenae
Tenae rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2016
Andrea Snow
Andrea Snow rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 18, 2015 11:25AM
  • Cracklescape (Twelve Planets book 7)
  • Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories
  • A Trifle Dead (Cafe La Femme, #1)
  • Nightsiders (Twelve Planets book 1)
  • Sharp Shooter (Tara Sharp, #1)
  • The Courier's New Bicycle
  • Havenstar
  • Asymmetry (Twelve Planets book 8)
  • Midnight and Moonshine
  • Madigan Mine
  • Secret Lives of Books (Twelve Planets book 10)
  • Debris (The Veiled Worlds, #1)
  • Rituals (Rhapsody of Blood, #1)
  • Bones of the Fair (Darest, #2)
  • Managing Death (Death Works Trilogy #2)
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • Towers Fall (Towers Trilogy, #3)
  • The age of misrule : world's end, darkest hour, always forever
Hi, my name’s Tansy Rayner Roberts. I’m a Tasmanian writer. I work from home, in between daughter-juggling and doll selling.

My fantasy trilogy (HarperCollins Voyager) features flappers, shape-changers and bloodthirsty court politics. It tells the story of Velody, a dressmaker who discovers a hidden war being played out in the night sky of the city of Aufleur, and of Ashiol, the exiled Ducomte who
More about Tansy Rayner Roberts...

Creature Court Trilogy (3 books)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Reign of Beasts (Creature Court, #3)