The Shattered City (Creature Court, #2)

The Shattered City (Creature Court Trilogy #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  17 reviews
She could hear that laughter again, and for a moment Velody was confused, not sure which dead man was mocking her.

Velody now holds the leadership of the Creature Court. The unsteady alliances within the Court are beginning to fracture, as a series of murders and disappearances throw suspicion on one of their own. Ashiol finds Aufleur’s many festivals frivolous, until a maj...more
Published April 1st 2011 by HarperCollins

Celia Powell
This was a fantastic follow up to Power and Majesty - as per the blurb, Velody is the Power and Majesty of the Creature Court (the fantastical band of shape shifters who protect the city of Aufleur each night from the terrible threat in the sky). She's trying to be a better leader to the Creature Court than they have had before, and to inspire their loyalty and trust, but the threats they are facing seem ever increasing. Velody feels the incredible pressure of her position, her friends are also...more
Thoraiya
Not as many surprises as in volume 1, but still rather enjoyable. As much as I love the beautiful cover, really, after reading the book I wanted to see the flame dress more than I wanted to see the museum dress. But I guess you have to have your actual protagonist on the cover at some point ;) Greatly entertaining juxtaposition between serious dramatic plot points and such one-liners as "The kitchen table required to be stared at a great deal" and "Licking blood from your fingers is hardly an ac...more
Estara
There was just too much of an emotional mess and teenager-like behaviour by the main characters to make me enjoy the second book as much as the first one and I just decided to spend my money elsewhere. I especially got annoyed at Ashiol's ennui and angst. I could understand it in the first part because of the horrific happenings, but here he became more like a spoiled pouting boy who ran from girl to girl because the first girl was unhappy with him.

I do have to admit that I think the worldbuildi...more
Tehani
Tansy makes me so cross! I got this book at Easter and, as I'm in the final throes of reading for the WA Premier's Book Awards, dutifully put it neatly on the shelf as a reward for later. Then I was sitting at the table and had no book in front of me so I picked it up and thought, I'll just read the first chapter. And then I read another chapter. And another. And I couldn't put the darn thing down!! Most CROSS Tansy - I wasn't supposed to be READING it then!!

Don't read this book without reading...more
Nancy White
I gave the first book in this series somewhat of a rave review. Basically I said that it's not the best writing in the world but it is an awesome story.

I feel mostly the same way about the second book in the series. The ending was frustrating, I think the first book had a bit more of a conclusion than this one did. Although I suppose I'm getting used to this thing people are doing where they don't end their novels...

Anyways, it's good stuff and I really enjoyed reading it - I could barely put it...more
Alexandra
I read this about 10 weeks ago, and I'm not sure why I've left it til now to actually review it. I think it's because I read it too fast, and was then a bit shell-shocked. I couldn't face reviewing it immediately, and then I kept putting it off... so now the review isn't as good as it might have been, but I can at least tick it off my to-do list and move it to the bookshelf, rather than having it staring at me accusingly from the shelf above my computer...

Tansy is very very mean to her character...more
Sam
Dark Matter
Velody, dressmaker and Power and Majesty of the Creature Court (Fae), creates a beautiful dress for Isangell, Ducomtessa of Aufleur (ruler of the city/state in which the story is set). In Power and Majesty (book one) Velody began having problems with shadows on her skin and in her vision; these problems have continued. Ashiol, the other King of the Creature Court and Isangell’s cousin, struggles to retain a shred of his sanity. Rhian, Velody’s friend, hides a secret for which she believes she ca...more
Sean the Bookonaut
The Shattered City is book 2 of Tansy Rayner Roberts’ Creature Court Trilogy following on from Power and Majesty. The third and final book Reign of Beasts is to be released February 2nd1.

Don’t let the cover fool you- the Red Hot Chilli Peppers fifth album, Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic could have been an alternative title for this book.

Bloody action, liberal use of Animor (magic) and some very saucy sex scenes and the sugar…well there’s honey cakes.

In my review of Power and Majesty I stated that I f...more
Mark Webb
This review forms part of my contribution to theAustralian Women Writers 2012 Reading Challenge. All my AWWC reviews can be foundhere.

The Shattered City by Tansy Rayner Roberts is book two of the Creature Court trilogy. I reviewed book one(Power and Majesty) a few months ago.

The Shattered Citypicks up where Power and Majesty leaves off. I'm finding that it is a bit hard to give any kind of plot synopsis of book two of a trilogy without giving away information about book one. Suffice to say that...more
Kaia
Yes, this will be the most substantial and well thought-through review you have ever seen. It goes like this:

I've read this book three or four times now. It's so amazing to see it in print, without the [MAKE WRITE GOOD] notes in the margin. So yes, I'm slightly biased, but I will still say this:

Delphine is awesome, Heliora is heartbreaking, Rhian is beautiful, Poet is creepy and I still want to bone Ashiol.

PS. Every single of these three or possibly four times __________'s death has made me cry...more
Yvonne Boag
Velody now leads the Creature Court but knows better then to trust any of them. The nox battles have taken a new form, growing harder to deal with and having repercussions that none of them can foresee. The Creature Court is fracturing and Velody may have to make a decision that is more then she can bare.

It starts slowly building towards a sinister air. As I read I found myself reading faster and faster to find out what was to come. It is a fabulous series that it rather different then anything...more
Clinton
I feel like Ive been way too negative in my reviews lately. But this book has to have one of the dumbest cast of characters I have ever seen.
Normally its only maybe one or to characters who ooze stupidity in a book, but The Shattered City signed up all its characters for that role.

Im not going to spend time going over all the stupid choices each character made, because I honestly don't have that kind of time or motivation.

The book is interesting, you just look past the obvious flaws if you wa...more
Melanie
An entertaining follow up book, that had me wondering what could possibly happen next!? A decadent, dangerous world of which I can't wait to enter again.
Matt
Enjoying this fantasy story. The huge amount of festivals in Aufleur seems to be an impossible burden for any society to carry. However, if one must suspend credibility in one area, ...
Not quite sure why all the sex -- implied and realised -- has to be present. The story works very well without the tawdriness.
Coyora Dokusho
It was soooooo good!! Glad there are only three so I can read them all in a day!!! (almost XD)
Katharine
Oh how utterly amazing.

Any country who doesn't publish this series? You're utterly crazy.
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jun 27, 2014
Bec White
Bec White is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2014
Sarah Staszkiel
Sarah Staszkiel marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Donna Varris
Donna Varris marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Hi, my name’s Tansy Rayner Roberts. I’m a Tasmanian writer. I work from home, in between daughter-juggling and doll selling.

My fantasy trilogy (HarperCollins Voyager) features flappers, shape-changers and bloodthirsty court politics. It tells the story of Velody, a dressmaker who discovers a hidden war being played out in the night sky of the city of Aufleur, and of Ashiol, the exiled Ducomte who...more
More about Tansy Rayner Roberts...
Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1) Love and Romanpunk Reign of Beasts (Creature Court, #3) Splashdance Silver (Mocklore Chronicles, #1) Liquid Gold (Mocklore Chronicles, #2)