Start by marking “Cinderella” as Want to Read:
Cinderella

Cinderella

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  43 reviews
There is perhaps no better loved, no more universal story than "Cinderella." Almost every country in the world has a version of it, but the favorite of story-tellers is the French version by Charles Perrault.
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1994 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderella

Randie
I read this classic fairy tales in the Classics of Children’s Literature (6th Edition) by John W. Griffith and Charles H. Frey. Published by Pearson in Upper Saddle River, NJ in 2005.

Cinderella’s mother is not given much thought but her father takes a second wife and soon Cinderella falls victim to the nasty behavior of a stepmother and two stepsisters. They take her belongings and leave her with nothing but the cinders near the chimney. The King holds a ball and while she is forbidden to go, Ci
Yonaily
Las hermanastras de Cenicienta no resultaron ser tan malas como Disney me hizo creer.
NS-Christine Johnson
This is the classic Cinderella story that begins when Cinderella's mother dies and her father remarries. Cinderella gets a new stepmother and two stepsisters that keep her busy with chores and treat her very poorly. When the stepsisters head to the prince's ball, Cinderella is very sad. She is surprised when her fairy godmother appears and turns four mice into white horses! Her fairy godmother prepares everything for Cinderlla to attend the ball, and tells her only to be back before the clock st ...more
Meltha
The second of the three Cinderella versions I've looked at today, this one appears from the style of dress and the car the prince drives to be set somewhere around 1900-1910. Oddly, the only dress that doesn't really fit that category is Cinderella's, which is sort of maddeningly vague. The illustrations have a sepia tone to them, making much of the book look like an antique photograph, and the story takes place in what looks like a city, possibly Paris judging by the mansard roofs. This one als ...more
Amanda Wheet
Alright, so now we've got both editions on this list. And who wins? I'm going with Perrault here, mostly because I don't really like gore.

This to me is the more classic version of Cinderella - glass slipper, fairy godmother, midnight, etc. But is that only because I grew up spoon fed Disney?

Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale, and my favorite Disney movie. So, I give the edge to this. Having read both versions, I simply still prefer happy endings and Cinderella being as sweet as pie (what a ni
Janelle
I suspect my Mum bought this for me when I was young, as she loved fairy tales and seemed to think I should too. I didn't enjoy fairy stories nearly as much as she did, but I re-read this small volume numerous times, so it deserves three stars.
Amy
This review is of the version illustrated by Diane Goode -
There are two pages of illustrations I really enjoyed - one showed the transformation of mice to horses, and the other of lizards to footmen.
Donald White
Ah, the allure of the fairy tale! And one in particular has appealed to both young and old the world over. The story of Cinderella has been told many times and in different ways. Basically, it is the tale of a girl who experiences tragedy. She is taken from a comfortable standard of living to a miserable one, usually by the coldness of new family members and their jealousy over her beauty. Through the help of others, both mundane and magical, she is able to gain the attention of royalty or those ...more
Dennis Butler
I stumbled upon this when I was looking for things to read to my grandchildren who will be visiting me soon. Like most children, there is almost nothing they love more than sitting next to an adult on the couch and looking at the pages while the adult reads a children’s story to them. So what a perfect find this book was.

It is an amazing undertaking. For the publisher to seek out what is probably every version of the Cinderella story and then compile it into one perfectly formatted and beautifu
Anna  Matsuyama
Золушка by Charles Perrault the illustrations by Рейпольский are beautiful however the adaption is awful.

Was Cinderella's real name Mary Stu?

In this version Cinderella is so good that she isn't angry at her sisters when they bully her. When she marries the prince she takes her sisters with her and finds good (read wealthy) husbands for them but forgets her father and stepmother.

She works as a servant slave and wears rags yet she fears her father wouldn't believe that her stepmother treats her wrong. So she doesn't say
Heather Mcgrath
Summary:

In this version of Cinderella, it has a very child friendly view. Cinderella is left to be raised by her step mom, along with her two step sisters. They never treat Cinderella very well, she is always expected to help her step sisters. She is expected to clean the house and lives in filth with mice as friends. When all of the girls in the kingdom are invited to the palace to meet the prince, Cinderella is told she can’t go. She finds she has a fairy god-mother who is happy to help her go
Jacqueline Campos
Nicole Gonzalez
Cinderella life is left to be care for by her cruel Stepmother who treats her as a personal servant to her and her two daughters. Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother magically appears in front of Cinderella inn her desperate time of need and changes her life for the better. This is a well-designed interactive story that allows children to follow the story-line through its beautiful features and transitions to the next page.

What I noticed about the story was that it was closely related to Walt Disney’s
Violante

"Había una vez un gentilhombre que se casó en segundas nupcias con una mujer que era la más altanera y soberbia que nunca se hubiera visto."

Por Disney siempre viví una mentira; el padre de Cenicienta nunca se muere y era un gran hijo de puta, igual (o incluso peor) que la famosa madrastra.
Mercy Martinez
Muy bonita la historia.... aunque arruino algo mi infancia con la adaptación de disney, y es.... demasiado pero demasiado dulce para mi gusto, aunque si lo recomiendo para leerlo a los niños pequeños :)
Erica
My review

I was sadly disappointed in this book.
I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a book before.
Jessy
Compared to the other versions I read, this is very close to the classic Cinderella Fairy Tale. I have not read or watched Cinderella since I was a child, and I always imagined it taking place in Europe. This version takes place in Manhattan in the turn of the century. Besides this, I noticed how familiar I am to the Disney version, and how unfamiliar I am with the classic version. All in all I liked it. The illustrations were just OKAY for me. I do think they are beautiful and whimsical, howeve ...more
Jetzabel
"La belleza es, para la mujer, un raro tesoro. Nadie se cansa nunca de admirarla. Pero la gracia no tiene precio, pues es más valiosa que la hermosura."
Tanya Diehl
A traditionally told story, it closely follows the story you think of when you think of Cinderella. This edition is a very nicely written book. It didn't offer any surprises. The mother still died, the sttep-mother and sisters moved in and reduced her to being a scullery maid. Her fairy godmother provided the means for Cinderella to attend the ball and meet the prince. The glass slipper fit and they lived happily ever after. Entertaining, but unoriginal. Appropriate for the younger range, probab ...more
Becca Bradfield
What a benevolent retelling of the Cinderella tale. This version of the story is one I am sure most people are familiar with in American Culture. There are a few tender things about this version that make me appreciate it more than others I have read.On in particular is the fact that Cinderella is so concerned for the happiness of her step sisters that she finds husbands for both of them. She is just so pure and kind-hearted I feel Cinderella deserves every ounce of happiness she receives. Besi ...more
Marianinna
More or less exactly what I remembered
Sarah Cradit
What a fun collection! I must admit, I wasn't sure what to expect when I cracked this open. I consider myself fairly well read, but it somehow escaped me that there are so many versions of the tale of Cinderella, and from all over the world. The small (and major) variations in each story were fascinating, and you could see the cultural and time influences on each of them. The artwork was also, equally, fun. I'm happy I took a chance on this, and would recommend it for any real lover of fairy tal ...more
Juan Pablo
Trauma con las hermanastras.
Shadow
I have always been a Cinderella fan and I had always thought that it was a tale of this poor orphan girl, a prince, a wicked stepmother and well... the famous glass slipper.

I couldn't have been more wrong. I was blown away by the many different versions. Whoever put this anthology together, was brilliant! It's certainly a book I would treasure and keep for my daughter.

Oh, and the illustrations are beautiful!!
Jazmin
This story is perfect for a girl because it is what every little girl would want. Magic and a castle make the story really pretty. I really liked the illustrations because they look from the old times. Even though I already knew the story, I really enjoyed reading this book because the story is wonderful and the illustrations that look like watercolors made it even better. Overall, this story was wonderful!
M.A. Comley
I downloaded this collection for my niece to read and she was raving about it for days.

Her mother told me that she was captivated from the beginning to the end. You can't get bigger praise than that from a child living in today's world.

It includes 29 versions of Cinderella and beautiful drawings that will keep any child enchanted for hours.
Angela
This is a good version of this story with added background for Cinderella. Since this version was older I expected it to be more like the Grimm's version but it is even sweeter than the others I have read with Cinderella forgiving and trying to help her step sisters the whole time. The plate pictures by Rackham and the cover picture improve the story.
Samantha
A kinder version of the Cinderella tale in which Cinderella marries her two step sisters off to two noblemen at the end. Pictures were comical, almost cartoony and were in full color every other page. I liked the color palette and this lighter tale, but I don't know that I loved the artwork.
Carol
Year Published: 1994

Grade Level: K-4

This is a bit more than the traditional story. It has the same aspects of the original, only a little different in that Cinderella attends 2 balls as opposed to just 1. I liked this story better than other ones because of the slight difference.
Krisette Spangler
This is a short novel-length version of the classic story of Cinderella. There aren't many surprises here, as most of us know the general story of the little cinder girl. I mostly enjoyed the charming illustrations by Arthur Rackham, and I'm a sucker for a happy ending.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • Сказка о рыбаке и рыбке
  • The Persian Cinderella
  • Smoky Mountain Rose: An Appalachian Cinderella
  • Adelita: A Mexican Cinderella Story
  • Hedgehog in the Fog
  • World's Best Fairy Tales
Charles Perrault was a French author who laid foundations for a new literary genre, the fairy tale, and whose best known tales, offered as if they were pre-existing folk tales, include: Little Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty, Puss in Boots, Cinderella, Bluebeard, Hop o' My Thumb), Diamonds and Toads, Patient Griselda, The Ridiculous Wishes...

Perrault's most famous stories are still in print today
More about Charles Perrault...
Cinderella Perrault's Fairy Tales Puss in Boots Little Red Riding Hood The Tales Of Mother Goose