Mothers Gift

Mothers Gift

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Published (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mothers Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mothers Gift

Art
Britney Spears wrote a novel? I found this at an op shop and I was just curious. After all I do enjoy trashy novels and books by people who are not at all known for writing. A Mother's Gift is a sentimental morality tale about a singing teenage girl coming of age, going away to college and growing up with her mother. Britney's in no way a bad writer but this is a book for little girls, and I had no business reading it at all really. I should get back to grown-up books once I'm done with Paris Hi...more
Mery
ceritanya tentang gadis berumur 14 tahun bernama Holly, dia tinggal hanya bersama ibu nya Wanda.

Holly bercita-cita ingin menjadi penyanyi, kemudian dia mendapatkan beasiswa di sekolah seni, dengan kehidupannya yang baru, teman yang baru, Holly merasa minder dengan ibu nya, Wanda mempunyai cacat di wajah, cacat itu akibat kebakaran.
Holly malu jika teman2nya mengetahui ibunya adalah seorang yang cacat.

di akhir cerita diceritakan bahwa Wanda bukanlah ibu kandung Holly, dan cacat yang di dapat Wanda...more
Joseleinne
Muy fan de Britney seré pero no le podría recomendar este libro ni a mi peor archienemigo xD.Mala trama,personajes planos,sólo Ditz me simpatizaba. Holly era una estúpida niña engreída y se avergonzaba de su madre y de ser becada #DaHell.
Los saltos de tiempo son totalmente injustificados y se notaba que sólo querían terminar pero no sabían que contar mientras tanto.Además el final es tan cliché .-.
Un libro malo y que leí sin expectativas pero aún así sentí que mi cerebro se fundía mientras lo le...more
J.m. Darhower
I'm being very generous with my stars, because I'm still holding out hope for Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake to come to their senses and get married and make popstar babies while Nsync has a reunion tour. But alas, the book was highly 'meh'. I only finished it because my best friend said "betcha won't finish it".

I should mention I read it years ago. I'm admitting to my former teeny bopper ways.
Patrick
I obviously bought/read this as a joke taken too far. I think it was actually well-written however, for its demographic. The story is about a girl who dreams of going to a special arts school to be a singer or something, and the sacrifices her mother makes to help her daughter achieve her dream. I would recommend this to 9-year-old girls.
dk
Aug 01, 2008 dk rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
Recommended to dk by: someone who thought the ironic value would make it worthwhile.
Surprisingly enough, Britney Spears is a horrible writer. Mr.dk bought me this as a joke while I was studying for the Bar. He was sweet. This book was not.
Christina
Sweet heart-warming story about a mother and a daughter's relationship.
Andrew
Apr 04, 2012 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Andrew by: No one.
Shelves: teen-fic-read
I wasn't sure I was going to like this book at first. One thing i've noticed is that it's very typical of musicians to do something where it has to do with a walk to fame. This book didn't really have that. It sort of does, but not really.
Holly Lovell and her mother Wanda live in a quaint little town called Biscay, Mississippi. There's talk of a tragedy, but not many of the townsfolk will talk about unless you ask twice. Even then they will give you tiny details. This turns out to have everythin...more
Bobbie Bomber
I read this book years ago when it was first released so I'm going to try and write a review from what I remember about it.

This was a book I really didn't think I was going to like to much since it was so different from my usual taste especially since it was written by Britney Spears(and her mother)who I have never been a fan of but I remember being very surprised on how much I did like it at the time.

Was it perfect no far from it the writing was okay for the most part but is was a very sweet an...more
Ifnur Hikmah
Gue enggak tahu kalau buku ini pernah diterjemahin. Sebagai penggemar Britney sejak jaman Baby One More Time sampai Work Bitch, gue lumayan rajin ngumpulin pernak pernik Britney. Dan, gue kaget waktu salah satu toko bekas langganan gue jual ini buku, terjemahan. Tanpa pikir panjang gue langsung beli.

Buku ini bercerita tentan Holly Faye yang tinggal di kota kecil bareng ibunya, Wanda. Holly ini suka banget nyanyi dan pengin sekolah di Haverty School Of Music. Tapi keadaan keluarganya yang miskin...more
Lisa
Aug 30, 2013 Lisa added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, y-a
This book came out in 2001. I remember wanting to read it but being too embarrassed to ask for it. Now 12 years later, I found a very cheap copy on Amazon and crossed something of my bucket list*...reading a book "written" by Britney(and her mom).

It really did read like a book written by Britney Spears, especially 2001 Britney. 2001 Britney was still a mixture of amazingly energetic performances and a sickeningly sweet persona. I admit I thought she was pretty damn cool and remember watching int...more
Veryl Lee F7
Apr 01, 2008 Veryl Lee F7 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have sympathy

Holly Faye Lovell sure can sing. Everyone in Biscay, Mississippi, knows that. And when at fourteen she becomes the youngest student ever to win a scholarship to the prestigious Haverty School of Music, her dream of pursuing a singing career is on its way. But for the first time in her life, Holly must leave behind her mother, Wanda. Although they don’t have much in the way of money, there’s always been plenty of love . . . and there’s always been Wanda’s birthmark, an ugly red scar on the side...more
Emma
A mothers gift is a beautiful novel written by the world famous pop-star Britney Spears and her mother Lynne Spears.
It was also produced into a made-for-television movie which I had watched years ago and thought it was absolutely beautiful!
It is a semi-autobiographical novel that is evident by the dreams and ambitions of it's lead character Holly Lovall and the compassion and encouragement of her mother Wanda Lovall (basically Britney and Lynne).
Holly is a young teenage girl whose dreams and amb...more
Merary
Even though this book is well-written, A Mother's Gift had no plot and not a real conflict. And also, it is to sugar-coated. I like a sweet story once in a while, but this was too much!
I found Holly an example of a Mary-Sue. I don't like Mary Sues.
When her mother finally reveals that horrible secret that could "tear both apart", what does Holly do? . . . Nothing. Zap. Nada. She just forgives her mother (!!). Very predictable.
I give it 2 stars because it was well-written. That's it. Other than th...more
Fanny R.J.
I remember reading this book. I was around 15 and a great friend of mine recommended it to me. I remember crashing on this comfy chair in my room and reading it in a row, in an hour I think. I loved the book. I remember It made me think about many things, made my ask myself some questions about my future etc. I should probably read it again some time now that i'm older. Anyway, go for it, it's a good one. Not N.Sparks or P.Cornwell style obviously, but a great story for sure.
Audrey Anindita
nice book. i got the book as the prize of bookstore event and i loved it at a first sight. i like the plot, how a poor Missisipi girl who has amazing voice can study in one of the super famous-and also-expensive music school. she learned many things there and finally knew a secret that her mom kept for a long time. i just read it in bahasa, so i don't know how the original book tells. but it'd be fun to read it more than once :)
Emily
For the record, I was a typical 13-year-old teeny-bopper when I read this.

And actually, for a 13-year-old, I remember thinking it was't half-bad. I don't recommend this to anyone, obviously. Unless you're just curious......

Oh yea...and I still own a copy... I don't part with books. No matter how ridiculous one may be.
~DIAMOND~
Jun 11, 2008 ~DIAMOND~ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to ~DIAMOND~ by: the random book shelf at Wal Mart
This book brings back memories. I actually read this book at while waiting in Wal Mart. See how exciting Mississippi is ROFLMAO. Read it a couple months after we were married.

Not one I would recommend as a MUST read. It was okay. But nothing to write home about. I picked up out of pure curiosity because of who wrote it.
Brittany

I picked up this book because it was free at my local library. I had know idea what to expect but it wasn't as bad as I had thought. Somewhat predictable but still brought tears to my eyes at the end. Definitely a book I'm going to pass down to my younger daughters to read.
Faba
It's a nice quick read book, touching and I (always) love Britney.
Jenna
This book set me off guard when I first picked it off the shelf. It is writen by britney spears and her mother and you know how they turned out. Although suprisingly this was an excellent read. I would recommend this book for young teens.
Austin
I liked it a lot. The story was very sweet about a small town girl dreaming big. The book was very good, but the story didn't really go anywhere at some points, though I still enjoyed every chapter. It's a nice quick read so I say read it.
Petra
Way to predictable. I had the whole story figured out after a couple chapters and wasn't surprised once. It also felt... unoriginal when I was reading, like I've read or seen the movie before. Just wasn't for me.
Astrid Johanne
This is one of the books I have read several times and it is moving every time I have read it.
It is about finding your roots and find your way. It is about how you find friends where you don't expect it.
Prisca
I read this when I was in high school, back then when I didn't know much about those tiring theories of writing etc etc. I remembered that I liked it so much, and the story stayed in my mind for a while.
Elsa
Jun 14, 2012 Elsa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every teen girl and her mother<3
Recommended to Elsa by: It's by Britney...
Shelves: books-i-own
description

BOW TO GODNEY <3
KJ Shadows
I remember reading this in like middle school I think? It was incredibly boring and not well written. I just remember not liking it at all. That's all I can really say.
Eline
I think I read this book when I was 12 or 13 years old. I can't remember it that good, but I still know that I really disliked it and I was disapointed.
Fran
It is not the greatest book in the world, but the writing is solid and the story never dragged. The story was sweet and it was a very easy read.
Arin Grimm
I read this when I was maybe 14. When I read it, I loved it. I haven't read it since, but I would probably still like it.
  • Leslie's Journal
  • The Best of the Best (Replica, #7)
  • Seasons of the Witch, Vol. 1 (Charmed)
  • Shipwrecked Summer
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • Through The Storm: A Real Story of Fame and Family in a Tabloid World
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining: America's Toughest Family Court Judge Speaks Out
  • Keeping It In The Family
  • Married at Fourteen: A True Story
  • Indefensible (Kate Lange, #3)
  • You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls
  • Sapphire
Britney Jean Spears (born December 2, 1981) is an American singer, dancer, songwriter, actress and author. She has sold over 83 million records worldwide according to Zomba Label Group. The RIAA ranks her as the eighth best-selling female artist in American music history, having sold 32 million albums in the U.S. Her success as a recording artist has allowed her to work in other media; she has act...more
More about Britney Spears...
Britney Spears' Heart to Heart Stages Britney Spears: Movie Diary Britney Spears - Greatest Hits: My Prerogative Britney Spears: In the Zone

“The house of the Lord doesn't filter out the flock" - Wanda Lovell” 1 likes