Start by marking “Mothers Gift” as Want to Read:
Mothers Gift

Mothers Gift

3.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  548 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Published (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mothers Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mothers Gift

Mery
Jun 12, 2009 Mery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya
ceritanya tentang gadis berumur 14 tahun bernama Holly, dia tinggal hanya bersama ibu nya Wanda.

Holly bercita-cita ingin menjadi penyanyi, kemudian dia mendapatkan beasiswa di sekolah seni, dengan kehidupannya yang baru, teman yang baru, Holly merasa minder dengan ibu nya, Wanda mempunyai cacat di wajah, cacat itu akibat kebakaran.
Holly malu jika teman2nya mengetahui ibunya adalah seorang yang cacat.

di akhir cerita diceritakan bahwa Wanda bukanlah ibu kandung Holly, dan cacat yang di dapat Wanda
Joni
Dec 30, 2011 Joni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Britney Spears wrote a novel? I found this at an op shop and I was just curious. After all I do enjoy trashy novels and books by people who are not at all known for writing. A Mother's Gift is a sentimental morality tale about a singing teenage girl coming of age, going away to college and growing up with her mother. Britney's in no way a bad writer but this is a book for little girls, and I had no business reading it at all really. I should get back to grown-up books once I'm done with Paris Hi ...more
Jo
May 09, 2014 Jo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, britney-spears
Muy fan de Britney seré pero no le podría recomendar este libro ni a mi peor archienemigo xD.Mala trama,personajes planos,sólo Ditz me simpatizaba. Holly era una estúpida niña engreída y se avergonzaba de su madre y de ser becada #DaHell.
Los saltos de tiempo son totalmente injustificados y se notaba que sólo querían terminar pero no sabían que contar mientras tanto.Además el final es tan cliché .-.
Un libro malo y que leí sin expectativas pero aún así sentí que mi cerebro se fundía mientras lo le
J.m. Darhower
I'm being very generous with my stars, because I'm still holding out hope for Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake to come to their senses and get married and make popstar babies while Nsync has a reunion tour. But alas, the book was highly 'meh'. I only finished it because my best friend said "betcha won't finish it".

I should mention I read it years ago. I'm admitting to my former teeny bopper ways.
Patrick
Jan 21, 2008 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2002
I obviously bought/read this as a joke taken too far. I think it was actually well-written however, for its demographic. The story is about a girl who dreams of going to a special arts school to be a singer or something, and the sacrifices her mother makes to help her daughter achieve her dream. I would recommend this to 9-year-old girls.
Devon
Aug 01, 2008 Devon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
Recommended to Devon by: someone who thought the ironic value would make it worthwhile.
Surprisingly enough, Britney Spears is a horrible writer. Mr.dk bought me this as a joke while I was studying for the Bar. He was sweet. This book was not.
Aisha
Sep 23, 2015 Aisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came in with low expectations. It started well but then it seemed to lose direction, then felt rushed at end. Extremely quick read.
Christina
Sweet heart-warming story about a mother and a daughter's relationship.
Francesco
Qualche anno fa, quando ero ancora teenager, amavo alla follia la Spears. Guardavo i suoi video, compravo e ascoltavo i suoi CD e mi fissavo su qualunque cosa la riguardasse. Arrivai anche a comprare questo libro, ma qualche tempo dopo cominciai a ignorarla, fino ad arrivare al punto di trovarla inguardabile e inascoltabile. Il libro ovviamente non si discosta dal personaggio costruito della Spears: in poche parole è banale, prevedibile e anche un pochettino stupido. La storia inizia con il clas ...more
Andrew
Feb 18, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Andrew by: No one.
Shelves: teen-fic-read, books
I wasn't sure I was going to like this book at first. One thing i've noticed is that it's very typical of musicians to do something where it has to do with a walk to fame. This book didn't really have that. It sort of does, but not really.
Holly Lovell and her mother Wanda live in a quaint little town called Biscay, Mississippi. There's talk of a tragedy, but not many of the townsfolk will talk about unless you ask twice. Even then they will give you tiny details. This turns out to have everythin
Bobbie Bomber
I read this book years ago when it was first released so I'm going to try and write a review from what I remember about it.

This was a book I really didn't think I was going to like to much since it was so different from my usual taste especially since it was written by Britney Spears(and her mother)who I have never been a fan of but I remember being very surprised on how much I did like it at the time.

Was it perfect no far from it the writing was okay for the most part but is was a very sweet an
Ifnur Hikmah
Gue enggak tahu kalau buku ini pernah diterjemahin. Sebagai penggemar Britney sejak jaman Baby One More Time sampai Work Bitch, gue lumayan rajin ngumpulin pernak pernik Britney. Dan, gue kaget waktu salah satu toko bekas langganan gue jual ini buku, terjemahan. Tanpa pikir panjang gue langsung beli.

Buku ini bercerita tentan Holly Faye yang tinggal di kota kecil bareng ibunya, Wanda. Holly ini suka banget nyanyi dan pengin sekolah di Haverty School Of Music. Tapi keadaan keluarganya yang miskin
Lisa
Aug 30, 2013 Lisa added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y-a, 2013
This book came out in 2001. I remember wanting to read it but being too embarrassed to ask for it. Now 12 years later, I found a very cheap copy on Amazon and crossed something of my bucket list*...reading a book "written" by Britney(and her mom).

It really did read like a book written by Britney Spears, especially 2001 Britney. 2001 Britney was still a mixture of amazingly energetic performances and a sickeningly sweet persona. I admit I thought she was pretty damn cool and remember watching int
Veryl Lee F7
Apr 01, 2008 Veryl Lee F7 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have sympathy

Holly Faye Lovell sure can sing. Everyone in Biscay, Mississippi, knows that. And when at fourteen she becomes the youngest student ever to win a scholarship to the prestigious Haverty School of Music, her dream of pursuing a singing career is on its way. But for the first time in her life, Holly must leave behind her mother, Wanda. Although they don’t have much in the way of money, there’s always been plenty of love . . . and there’s always been Wanda’s birthmark, an ugly red scar on the side
Emma
A mothers gift is a beautiful novel written by the world famous pop-star Britney Spears and her mother Lynne Spears.
It was also produced into a made-for-television movie which I had watched years ago and thought it was absolutely beautiful!
It is a semi-autobiographical novel that is evident by the dreams and ambitions of it's lead character Holly Lovall and the compassion and encouragement of her mother Wanda Lovall (basically Britney and Lynne).
Holly is a young teenage girl whose dreams and amb
Steph
Jan 29, 2016 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 4-stars, 2016
When I was a kid, my childhood best friend was OBSESSED with Britney. Majorly. In fact, this is how this book ended up on my shelf. It's been sitting there for years before I finally decided I needed to pick it up and actually read it. It also helped that I decided to do the POPSUGAR 2016 Reading Challenge. One of the books has to be written by a celebrity.

And you know what? It actually wasn't that bad. I was expecting much worse. It was a nice, quick, feel good read about family love conquerin
Merary
Dec 17, 2011 Merary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EXTREME Britney Spears fans, People who like no drama in books
Even though this book is well-written, A Mother's Gift had no plot and not a real conflict. And also, it is to sugar-coated. I like a sweet story once in a while, but this was too much!
I found Holly an example of a Mary-Sue. I don't like Mary Sues.
When her mother finally reveals that horrible secret that could "tear both apart", what does Holly do? . . . Nothing. Zap. Nada. She just forgives her mother (!!). Very predictable.
I give it 2 stars because it was well-written. That's it. Other than th
Fanny R.J.
Sep 04, 2013 Fanny R.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girly
I remember reading this book. I was around 15 and a great friend of mine recommended it to me. I remember crashing on this comfy chair in my room and reading it in a row, in an hour I think. I loved the book. I remember It made me think about many things, made my ask myself some questions about my future etc. I should probably read it again some time now that i'm older. Anyway, go for it, it's a good one. Not N.Sparks or P.Cornwell style obviously, but a great story for sure.
Audrey Anindita
nice book. i got the book as the prize of bookstore event and i loved it at a first sight. i like the plot, how a poor Missisipi girl who has amazing voice can study in one of the super famous-and also-expensive music school. she learned many things there and finally knew a secret that her mom kept for a long time. i just read it in bahasa, so i don't know how the original book tells. but it'd be fun to read it more than once :)
Elsa
Jan 20, 2015 Elsa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely the most insipid book I've ever read. It's flat, colorless and totally boring from the first page to the end. Glad that I didn't spend any cent for this book. But I wasted my time tho.

The idea of the book could actually be brilliant. However,it needs talent to manifest a billiant idea ino a wonderful reading material. And Britney obviously does not have that talent.

It's just flat. Reallllllyyyyyy flattttt
Gimena
Aug 23, 2015 Gimena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sí, he leído DE TODO. Esta es una novela que, supuestamente, escribió la artista junto a su madre. Es una novela juvenil entretenida, llevadera. Leerla es como sentarse a ver un Domingo una de esas películas en televisión que ya viste mil veces, pero lo terminas haciendo porque te sirve para pasar el tiempo. Esta novela es sólo eso. Puede ser que si son admiradores de la artista lo disfruten mucho más.
EmhWaldorf
The first thought which comes to your mind while seeing this book on the shelf of a vintage/second-hand book shop is always 'so Britney Spears can write a book?'

And then you find out that,some ways, yes she can.
Ok this book has a stupid plot and it's pretty obvious the way it ends, but it's a little book that you can easily read on a hot day on the beach. When you're about 13.
Emily
For the record, I was a typical 13-year-old teeny-bopper when I read this.

And actually, for a 13-year-old, I remember thinking it was't half-bad. I don't recommend this to anyone, obviously. Unless you're just curious......

Oh yea...and I still own a copy... I don't part with books. No matter how ridiculous one may be.
~DIAMOND~
Jun 11, 2008 ~DIAMOND~ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to ~DIAMOND~ by: the random book shelf at Wal Mart
This book brings back memories. I actually read this book at while waiting in Wal Mart. See how exciting Mississippi is ROFLMAO. Read it a couple months after we were married.

Not one I would recommend as a MUST read. It was okay. But nothing to write home about. I picked up out of pure curiosity because of who wrote it.
Brittany

I picked up this book because it was free at my local library. I had know idea what to expect but it wasn't as bad as I had thought. Somewhat predictable but still brought tears to my eyes at the end. Definitely a book I'm going to pass down to my younger daughters to read.
Jenna
Jul 07, 2008 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book set me off guard when I first picked it off the shelf. It is writen by britney spears and her mother and you know how they turned out. Although suprisingly this was an excellent read. I would recommend this book for young teens.
Austin
Dec 03, 2012 Austin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it a lot. The story was very sweet about a small town girl dreaming big. The book was very good, but the story didn't really go anywhere at some points, though I still enjoyed every chapter. It's a nice quick read so I say read it.
Petra (Safari Poet)
Way to predictable. I had the whole story figured out after a couple chapters and wasn't surprised once. It also felt... unoriginal when I was reading, like I've read or seen the movie before. Just wasn't for me.
Astrid Johanne
This is one of the books I have read several times and it is moving every time I have read it.
It is about finding your roots and find your way. It is about how you find friends where you don't expect it.
Prisca
Dec 16, 2012 Prisca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was in high school, back then when I didn't know much about those tiring theories of writing etc etc. I remembered that I liked it so much, and the story stayed in my mind for a while.
  • Memoirs of a Geisha (Penguin Readers, Level 6)
  • Gigi's Guardian
  • Sue Barton, Staff Nurse (Sue Barton #7)
  • Of Love and Life: Twenties Girl / Tell Me No Secrets / Love in Bloom
  • Observation City
  • Happy Birthday, Dear Amy (Replica, #16)
  • Badass: A Hard-Earned Guide to Living Life with Style and (the Right) Attitude
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • Through The Storm: A Real Story of Fame and Family in a Tabloid World
  • Pink Wellies and Flat Caps
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
Britney Jean Spears (born December 2, 1981) is an American singer, dancer, songwriter, actress and author. She has sold over 83 million records worldwide according to Zomba Label Group. The RIAA ranks her as the eighth best-selling female artist in American music history, having sold 32 million albums in the U.S. Her success as a recording artist has allowed her to work in other media; she has act ...more
More about Britney Spears...

“The house of the Lord doesn't filter out the flock" - Wanda Lovell” 1 likes