Start by marking “The Minus Man” as Want to Read:
The Minus Man

The Minus Man

The Minus Man, adapted and directed by Hampton Fancher is being released as a film in fall 1999 starring Owen Wilson, Janeane Garofalo, Mercedes Ruehl, Dwight Yoakam, and Sheryl Crow. Lew McCreary's brilliant, chilling novel enters the mind of a harmless drifter whose idea of intimacy is murder.
Vann Siegert is by all appearances an ordinary man. With only his truck and a
Published August 26th 1999 by Grove Press (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Minus Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Minus Man

Bagtree
Sep 09, 2011 Bagtree rated it it was ok
Overall, this book was okay and I don't have many comments to make. However, there is one single batfuck psycho line early on that I really need to share with as many people as possible: "She was helpless because I had showed her my smile, which is like a charming hamster a boy might keep in his pocket and take out only to show on a special occasion to a special friend" (4).

Because that's how you seduce people, you know.

With pocket hamsters.
Kate
Jun 01, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2003, age-adult
Interesting book about a serial killer... The movie version was strange--with a slew of comedy actors like Owen Wilson, Jeanine Garafola--for a fairly dark and somber story.
Susan Skelly
May 26, 2016 Susan Skelly rated it did not like it
Terrible writing. It drags and drones and induces sleep.
Matt
Oct 17, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it
The Minus Man reads like a cross between Catcher in the Rye and Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, providing a first-hand account of an active serial murderer who, as with all the famous examples, blends into a small and unsuspecting community and kills among them. Vann isn't a Jason Voorhees or a Michael Myers. He isn't a Hannibal Lecter. He doesn't kill brutally or sadistically but is all the more frightening because he does it with a calculated efficiency. Just a couple of sips from his flask ...more
Jon
Mar 21, 2012 Jon rated it it was amazing
I read this after watching the movie and was glad for it. Had I seen the movie after reading, it would have been an utter disappointment. The book has so many more layers too it, is so much darker than the movie.

(view spoiler)
Mia
Nov 23, 2012 Mia rated it really liked it
Great read! Lew McCreary gives us just enough information to send our imaginations deep into the dark side leaving us with unanswered questions(like 'what kind of a sicko was Vann's mother?')and a longing for more!I would have loved a little more info about the hospital & Tim.
I saw the movie first & liked it well enough that I thought the book would be worth a shot(of course, I thought that about Nancy Price's book from which 'Sleeping With the Enemy' was taken & boy! was I wrong abo
Joel Roberts
Aug 25, 2011 Joel Roberts rated it really liked it
a psychological thriller with a touch of black comedy. the author did a great job creating (and mostly maintaining) a dark, unsettling tone for the narrative, one that felt almost understated and "quiet". his characters were interesting and well-developed.

apparently, the book was made into a movie, and Owen Wilson stars as the lead (a strange and intriguing choice). i'll have to see if it is on Hulu.
Chris Meger
Jun 02, 2008 Chris Meger rated it really liked it
So good, I never saw the movie. He's a serial killer that uses poisons and is genuinely personable. All told from the killer's POV. And he's crazy in an interesting way, not a Hollywood way, you know?
Robb Todd
Feb 22, 2009 Robb Todd added it
Shelves: 2008
Saw the movie first. This is one of those situations where I like them both equally even though they have some differences. I wonder how I would have felt if I read the book first.
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2008
Chad Weatherford
Chad Weatherford rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
Liam Crow
Liam Crow rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Lexie
Lexie rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
David  Stuart
David Stuart rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2012
Jeffrey D.
Jeffrey D. rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Brady Allen
Brady Allen rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Sami Shaio
Sami Shaio rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Troy Pugsley
Troy Pugsley rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Reyna
Reyna rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Corey
Corey rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2008
Adam Janusz
Adam Janusz rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2010
Taylor Jones
Taylor Jones rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Bryan Mcentire
Bryan Mcentire rated it really liked it
May 18, 2009
Guy Colvin
Guy Colvin rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Sezín Koehler
Sezín Koehler rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Jason Tanamor
Jason Tanamor rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013