Start by marking “The Minus Man” as Want to Read:
The Minus Man

The Minus Man

The Minus Man, adapted and directed by Hampton Fancher is being released as a film in fall 1999 starring Owen Wilson, Janeane Garofalo, Mercedes Ruehl, Dwight Yoakam, and Sheryl Crow. Lew McCreary's brilliant, chilling novel enters the mind of a harmless drifter whose idea of intimacy is murder.
Vann Siegert is by all appearances an ordinary man. With only his truck and a
Published August 26th 1999 by Grove Press (first published September 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Minus Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Minus Man

Susan Skelly
May 26, 2016 Susan Skelly rated it did not like it
Terrible writing. It drags and drones and induces sleep.
Bagtree
Sep 09, 2011 Bagtree rated it it was ok
Overall, this book was okay and I don't have many comments to make. However, there is one single batfuck psycho line early on that I really need to share with as many people as possible: "She was helpless because I had showed her my smile, which is like a charming hamster a boy might keep in his pocket and take out only to show on a special occasion to a special friend" (4).

Because that's how you seduce people, you know.

With pocket hamsters.
Kate
Jun 01, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2003, age-adult
Interesting book about a serial killer... The movie version was strange--with a slew of comedy actors like Owen Wilson, Jeanine Garafola--for a fairly dark and somber story.
Jon
Mar 21, 2012 Jon rated it it was amazing
I read this after watching the movie and was glad for it. Had I seen the movie after reading, it would have been an utter disappointment. The book has so many more layers too it, is so much darker than the movie.

(view spoiler)
Mia
Nov 23, 2012 Mia rated it really liked it
Great read! Lew McCreary gives us just enough information to send our imaginations deep into the dark side leaving us with unanswered questions(like 'what kind of a sicko was Vann's mother?')and a longing for more!I would have loved a little more info about the hospital & Tim.
I saw the movie first & liked it well enough that I thought the book would be worth a shot(of course, I thought that about Nancy Price's book from which 'Sleeping With the Enemy' was taken & boy! was I wrong abo
Joel Roberts
Aug 25, 2011 Joel Roberts rated it really liked it
a psychological thriller with a touch of black comedy. the author did a great job creating (and mostly maintaining) a dark, unsettling tone for the narrative, one that felt almost understated and "quiet". his characters were interesting and well-developed.

apparently, the book was made into a movie, and Owen Wilson stars as the lead (a strange and intriguing choice). i'll have to see if it is on Hulu.
Chris Meger
Jun 02, 2008 Chris Meger rated it really liked it
So good, I never saw the movie. He's a serial killer that uses poisons and is genuinely personable. All told from the killer's POV. And he's crazy in an interesting way, not a Hollywood way, you know?
Robb Todd
Feb 22, 2009 Robb Todd added it
Shelves: 2008
Saw the movie first. This is one of those situations where I like them both equally even though they have some differences. I wonder how I would have felt if I read the book first.
Shari
Dec 11, 2010 Shari rated it it was amazing
One of the scariest books I have ever read. You will never hitchhike again if you read this.
Steven
Jun 17, 2013 Steven rated it it was ok
Shelves: seen-movies
A strange and unusual movie - a rather dull murder story.
Dec 09, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Thus far, the scariest book I have ever read.
Geoffrey
May 22, 2010 Geoffrey rated it it was amazing
great companion to the movie
Rachel Willis
Rachel Willis marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Libby Unnerstall
Libby Unnerstall rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Kanste
Kanste added it
Aug 29, 2016
Tara Donelson
Tara Donelson marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Kerrin
Kerrin added it
Aug 27, 2016
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Monika Antonio
Monika Antonio marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Taylor Jones
Taylor Jones rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Lou Last
Lou Last rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Jordan West
Jordan West marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
The Transmuted Tree
The Transmuted Tree marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Tim Scott
Tim Scott rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Ilana
Ilana rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Summaiya
Summaiya marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016