Start by marking “The Homer Anthology” as Want to Read:
The Homer Anthology
Preview

The Homer Anthology

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The classics of the epic poet Homer along with commentary by Friedrich Nietzsche, Andrew Lang and others (With an active table of contents):

The Illiad,
The Odyssey,
Odysseus, The Hero of Ithaca,
Homer and Classic Philology, by Friedrich Nietzsche,
The Homeric Hymns, by Andrew Lang,
Hesiod, The Homeric Hymns, and Homerica
Nook, 0 pages
Published September 30th 2010 by Archiebooks (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Homer Anthology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Homer Anthology

Douglas
There will be blood, and lots of it. The Iliad isn't an easy read (I've read the Fagles translation before and am now giving the Lattimore one a go) and some of the 24 chapters are a bit tedious. (Chapter II, with it's catalogue of ships, for example.) But there is brilliance too: the hard and bitter truths of war and its destructiveness haven't been surpassed in over two and a half millennium.

It's not true, as some noted critics suggest (yes, Harold Bloom, I'm looking at you) that Homer treats
Bryn Hammond
I liked the idea of these 'in English' epic poets: you try out every translation that has been and pursue those that are for you. And you can't go wrong with George Steiner at the helm.

It starts with Chaucer's Troilus ('the first psychological novel')and Henryson's Testament of Criseyde (fantastic piece), there's Chapman to tempt to the peaks of Homer translation and Keats' sonnets thereon - because you get poetry on Homer too. I first met Christopher Logue's famous new fragments here, which St
David
I read both the Iliad and the Odyssey in the Latimore translations. Of the various translations I've seen of Homer (including the Fagles that seems to be so popular these days), to me, the Latimore translation is the best. I'm no Greek scholar, but it seems to have the kind of rough, craggy feel of the original Greek. The others don't feel nearly as faithful to the original. (And I think I heard Homeric scholar James Redfield say the same thing once.)

So five stars for both the books themselves a
Qi
A good reference book for studying both Iliad and Odyssey. it is a bit dry but packed with useful information to get through the long poems.
William Crosby
The version I read was afflicted with "thees" and "thous" making to a more stilted translation that it needed to be. Still, despite the tediousness of the translation, the Iliad and Odyssey are a set of imaginative stories with godlike creatures who are constantly manipulating and sometimes abusing mere mortals.
Heidi
I'm giving this a three because I would rate The Illiad with two stars (ugh! too gory and uninteresting) and The Odyssey with four stars. The Odyssey was by far the more interesting of the two. I did enjoy learning about so many of the myths and stories that have made their way into our current culture.
Jennica
I had picked up this book in hopes to learn a little more about old world history (specifically Greek), but it is actually more information and theory's on "Homer" than I want to know right now. I didn't finish it.
Andrew Corrie
Lattimore's translation of The Odyssey is a work of art in its own right. Not an easy task, but more than repays the investment of time and effort.
Michael
The author has a good sense of humor for a classicist.
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
كلمات لاتعرف
كلمات لاتعرف marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Rob Weir
Rob Weir marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Robert Karapetyan
Robert Karapetyan marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Roberto
Roberto is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2015
Ibrahim Saad
Ibrahim Saad marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Dana Tolman
Dana Tolman marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Khaled
Khaled marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Jesse Fowler
Jesse Fowler marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
In the Western classical tradition, Homer (Greek: Όμηρος) is considered the author of The Iliad and The Odyssey, and is revered as the greatest of ancient Greek epic poets. These epics lie at the beginning of the Western canon of literature, and have had an enormous influence on the history of literature.
When he lived is unknown. Herodotus estimates that Homer lived 400 years before his own time,
More about Homer...
The Odyssey The Iliad The Iliad/The Odyssey Homeric Hymns The Odyssey, Book 1-12