Hazzardous Universe

Hazzardous Universe (Hazzardous Universe #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Yesterday, Hap Hazzard didn’t believe in aliens, talking spaceships, or that he would be the target of intergalactic bounty hunters.

Today, everything is different

"The Magician's Last Words is the perfect book--a fun mix of humor, compelling plot, and action. I really loved it." -James Dashner, New York Times-bestselling author of The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, and Dea...more
Published by Covenant Communications (first published March 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hazzardous Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hazzardous Universe

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Must-Have Series for Children Ages 6 to 12
156th out of 426 books — 794 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullLiberty by Annie Laurie CechiniThe Candy Shop War by Brandon MullEnna Burning by Shannon HaleThe Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
LDS YA & MG Authors
36th out of 115 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
This is like an old-fashioned sci fi adventure, something that would have been a movie in the 1950's. The aliens are varied and disgusting: giant bugs, pixie-like creatures with Jekyll & Hyde mood swings, you know what I'm talking about! There are ray guns, and visits to alien worlds, and fabulous palaces filled with strange sights and lots of silken pillows . . . which, let's face it, is what Edgar Rice Burroughs and Co. used to write about all the time!

I loved this book (which I was lucky...more
Heather
A high-action, fast-paced sci-fi story for middle-grade kids. Illustrations for every chapter make this an even bigger treat. Entertaining all the way around.
Gayle
This was such a fun middle grade science fiction adventure! It's kind of a very basic plot -- kids abducted by aliens and then trying to do what they can to get back home -- but along the way they meet all sorts of interesting creatures and see things they never imagined possible. It's pretty tame as far as science fiction goes, but that makes it a great introductory book for younger kids. A couple of my kids have read it already and really enjoyed it. I listened to the audio book and just reali...more
Carolyn Frank
May 04, 2011 Carolyn Frank rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Author Julie Wright has ventured into the relms of Middle Grade science fiction with her new novel, Hazzardous Universe. In her story, 14 year old Hap Hazzard (loved the name), and a neighbor girl, Tara, are abducted by aliens by mistake. Hap's grandfather has always talked about aliens in the past but everyone, including Hap had never believed him--until now. Hap and Tara are whisked away from earth on a pizza-slice shaped space ship.(Fun concept for kids). They encounter a host of imaginative...more
Nicole
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

I found Hazzardous Universe to be a fun, quick read. I really wanted to give it one more star, but I'll go over both the pros and cons in my review.

Let go ahead and get the negatives over with... I just couldn't quite make a connection with the characters. I'm not really sure why - none of them are obnoxious or unlikeable. I kept wanting to find a little more depth, a little more complexity. That isn't to say that the characters are two-dimension...more
Garrett
I remember trying to find this book a year ago but didn't have much luck with it (I was going off what I remembered the title was).

In any case, when I had a chance to buy it (and the sequel) from Julie at a convention, I made sure to do so.

It has been worth the wait.

The characters and situations were fun and interesting to read about.

It is a YA book, but I think adults would like it too.

Of course, I'm a little biased because I love magic and wish I would have written this story :)

Setting: The st...more
Ryan Burt
1) Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

2) Genre: Middle Grade

3) Synopsis: Hap Hazzard finds himself in outer space. Far away from his family and home, he needs to find a way to not only get home but save it.

4) Feelings: For some reason I never really get into this book. Maybe I am too mature to read middle grade books. Although I have never been described as too mature for anything. It still had an interesting premise. Quick and interesting enough.

5) Final recommendation: Probably a really good book for a 1...more
Karlene Browning
Hazzardous Universe is a light, fun middle-grade science fiction story. Older kids and hard-core sci-fi readers may not be impressed, but I think it's a great introduction to the genre for readers, ages 10 to 12.

It's light enough that it shouldn't give anyone nightmares (not even the younger readers). The plot is pretty fast-paced, making it a quick and easy read. I think the characters and creatures are imaginative and interesting.

This was a fun story. I loved the illustrations. I liked that...more
Sheila

There are great creatures and interesting planets to explore. Wonderful characters, Hap Hazzard and his eventual friend, Tara, learn some good lessons as they take a ride on Nana, the pizza shaped ship. I especially enjoyed the character of Mosh.

There is more of my review and other goodies at my blog, so please head on over...

Jessica Liza
I wanted to love this book - I really did want to. But I just didn't. I liked it, I just could never lose myself in it. Not sure why. I was annoyed how Tara was always ornery with Hap. I mean come on - you're on an alien planet and you still want to be ornery with the only other friend you have?!? Kind of drove me crazy. But it was a fun story. It's definitely set up for a sequel though. Also annoying!! ;) haha
Rheannon
If there was a 3 and a half, this book deserved it. It was really good, but I never really got into it until the very end. The story and writing I thought was more for 5th and 6th graders, but I thought the plot was a little hard to follow(although that might have been because I wasn't paying attention during the beginning).
Sherwin
It was a fun read although it took a while to get going. I look forward to reading the rest of this series. Highly encourage for kids that love series. Good, clean, interesting story. The main character needed to get past his problems sooner but other than that it was a good read.
Debbie
This was an interesting book. It was funny in a lot of parts. I liked that people didn't believe the main characters when they said that they had been kidnapped by aliens. I look forward to reading future stories in this series. My daughter also liked this book.
Breanna
I really enjoyed this book. If I had known that it was going to be part of a series I probably would not have read it, though. Now I'm curious about what happens next and I have no clue when the next book is coming out. Hmmm...
LuAnn
Cute story, perfect for upper elementary through about 7th grade. Fans of Michael Vey will like it. I didn't buy that the MC was 14 though. Reads more like a 12-year-old, and looks younger as well in the illustrations.
Tyler Whitesides
Loved it! Great ensemble of characters with fun and contrasting personalities. Fantastic illustrations that really complimented the storyline so well. I will be anxious to find out what happens to Hap Hazzard...
Cheri
This was not my kind of book so I probably shouldn't even rate it. I never really got into the story although I did read it through to the end. I am not a fan of science fiction type books.
Alex
so far it's almost like a kids version of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, but it's also not at the same time cause this book actually has a plot that makes sense. pretty funny too.
Scott Wright
An adventure that parents can read to their kids and enjoy together. This also is great for your child who loves to read. It's a fun adventure that kids can easily relate to.
April
Jun 30, 2011 April added it
Shelves: fantasy
Very much a younger young adult book. Looks like it will be the beginning of a trilogy or series.
Left unfinished and returned to library. My interest just wasn't really there.
Walter Peterson
I liked this book better than Harry potter. The characters were more believable and I loved the story. It will be fun to see what comes next.
Gkeller123
This was a cute book, but I am not really into aliens. I think middle readers who like fantasy and aliens will like this.
Brittany
Fabulous. I wish they didn't spend the entire time on one planet, but if this is a series it will make up for it.
Tenille
It took me a little while to get into this book... but when I did it was really good. Great for youth ages 11-15.
Melanie Jacobson
Seriously SO fun. A great middle grade book. I had a blast with it today and James really enjoyed it, too.
Mindy
Great alien book for middle grade readers. Fun and creative.
Kristen
A very fun kids book. Good summer reading for the whole family.
Jenn
Great book. Definitely recommend.
Julie Wright wrote her first book when she was fifteen. She's written fourteen novels since then and has nine traditionally published. She is represented by Sara Crowe at Harvey Klinger Inc. and is a Whitney Awards winner for best romance with her book Cross My Heart.

She has one husband, three kids, one dog, and a varying amount of fish, frogs, and salamanders (depending on attrition).

She loves wr...more
More about Julie Wright...
My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life Cross My Heart Olivia (The Newport Ladies Book Club) Eyes Like Mine Loved Like That