Start by marking “A Heart in Sun and Shadow” as Want to Read:
A Heart in Sun and Shadow

Read eBook* *Different edition

A Heart in Sun and Shadow (Cymru That Was #1)

In an ancient Wales that never was...

The twin brothers Emyr and Idrys are cursed to live as hounds; Emyr by night, and Idrys by day. The twins believe they will be trapped this way forever until they meet the fierce and curious Áine, a changeling woman born with fey blood and gifts struggling to fit into a suspicious human world.

Áine unravels the fate of Emyr and his twin
Nook, 0 pages
Published March 4th 2011 by Doomed Muse Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Heart in Sun and Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart in Sun and Shadow

Keryl Raist
Nov 05, 2011 Keryl Raist rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tracey
Feb 20, 2015 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through LibraryThing's Member Giveaway, and I've been far too long in getting to it. I blame a Kindle malfunction which wiped out my collections, so that I lost track of it. That's my story, anyway.

Don't let the terrible cover put you off. It looks like a bad PNR. It's not. Not bad, not PNR (well, there is what could be called a paranormal element, and there is romance, but – no, it's not a PNR). This is a beautiful, beautiful fairy tale, set in Cymru-that-is – perhaps Wales of
Sue Owen
Jul 23, 2011 Sue Owen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could hardly put this book down. It’s an epic love story that so very nearly falls apart in so many places. The heroine is believable and full of goodness that most of us hope we even come close to. I found myself on edge in so many places in this book that I was afraid to leave the story for fear it might change while I was gone.

Its full of magic, love, devotion, trust and so much more … it makes me feel good all over just thinking back on the ups and downs. But there is a dark side to this
Kenneth Kao
Jun 23, 2011 Kenneth Kao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Heart in Sun and Shadow is written in the classic fairy-tale voice that draws you in with quiet dignity.

Personally, I hate Fae stories. Most the time, I find myself avoiding them as a rule--as I do with elves and dragons and all the over-done tropes of fantasy. However, I gotta say that the conflict here was intriguing. I had a blast reading through this and while the beginning was a bit slow, probably because of exactly what I mentioned about (being a Fae story with all the classic elements
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Emyr and Idrys are twins completely inseparable. They are currently on a hunting trip. They give chase to a white deer with red markings setting of a chain of events that will change their lives. Seren, one of the Fair Folk, ensnares the twins with her charms. Eventually the twins escape Seren but before that happens she curses them to be hounds separated one by day and one by night. The twins return home but nothing goes as expected. Meanwhile a young woman is trained in the ways of a wisewoman ...more
Shari Smith
Oct 01, 2015 Shari Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tearing your heart into pieces and putting it together like a puzzle.

10 stars for Annie Bellet, another wonderful creative work of art. A fantasy like no other.... Three people who were torn apart by a "wicked witch" but trust and love won! Thanks for the great story. You will be on the edge of your seat until the end.
Nick Nielsen
Oct 01, 2015 Nick Nielsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is very much a fairy tale, with tragedy and hard lessons learned as well as loss that is not really overcome in a happy ending - i.e. the traditional fairy tale of old (Grimm brothers and H. C. Anderson), not the kind reinterpreted by Disney.

It is a quick read (as are most of Bellet's books). I love the setting in ancient Wales with many ties to Welsh mythology and folklore. I enjoyed the characters quite a bit, and I feel that depth was conveyed in many ways. Ain
Chelsea
Oh where to start with this book. The romance seemed rushed, so how the characters got to "true love" I have a hard time swallowing. I felt Emyr's reactions were perfectly normal, all things considering. (the happily ever after in me was mad at him, however). Aine's tasks to break the curse felt like a strange combination of rushed (not very fleshed out) in certain places and plodding overall. Perhaps part of my anxiousness in getting through this part of the book was because I could see the bre ...more
Samantha Janning
Jan 01, 2012 Samantha Janning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received A Heart in Sun and Shadow by Annie Bellet via CLP Blog Tours. I am obviously a big fan of chick lit and women’s fiction, but everyone once in awhile I need to step outside my reading box and try out something a little different. When Bellet came to me about blog tour services, I really wanted to take her on. The synopsis was intriguing, and the first chapter had me pulled in. I’m really glad I took this book on, because it shows me that even if a book isn’t in my typical genre, it’s t ...more
Mirrani
Apr 22, 2012 Mirrani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Depending on your personal tastes, A "Heart in Sun and Shadow is a book that you will be unable to put down or a book that you will quickly put down towards the end because you aren't the type to read about sudden, massive changes in the personalities of the main characters within a story.

For myself, I found the darker tones of the book somewhat refreshing, as most modern fairy stories are not willing to go the distance to completely test their characters with no-win situations , moments of pure
Christine
May 12, 2011 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a story of love and sacrifice in a richly painted other world fantasy realm. It begins with two twins, in the folly of youth, who stumble upon a fey creature who tries to trap them. Failing that, she curses them, so that one twin will be a hound by night, the other by day.

A half-changling woman, raised as a wisewoman/healer, is the unlikely person who can who can help them.

This was well-written and richly described, the characters strong and believable. Even the twins, who can so often
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I won this book from Librarythings giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

This book is enchanting in several ways... set in a magical Welch landscape, we are introduced to two handsome twins and a fascinating heroine, Aine, who loves them both. As a lover of fairy tales, I enjoyed this adult fairy tale where a brave female protagonist sets off to break an evil curse that has been cast by a jealous witch by fulfilling seemingly impossible tasks.

The plot is fast paced, the characters are well
Sara
Jan 26, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sigh... book two cannot come soon enough

Spoiler***

I will miss these guys until I can pick up their story. I'm not sure I can wholly get behind him leaving his children but still somehow it feels complete as far as endings go.
Airwreckah
Jan 01, 2016 Airwreckah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, freebie
Melissa
Apr 28, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a great book with relatable characters and a well developed storyline. You are immersed into this imaginary, magical world. I had a hard time putting this book down from the first chapter (read it in one sitting). The author has a beautiful way of describing not only characters but places. You can picture every thing and you feel like instead of reading a book you are watching a movie unfold. Can't wait to read the next installment!
loisa
loisa added it
Sep 08, 2016
Jillian Spector
Jillian Spector marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Diane Sommers
Diane Sommers is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Lissa
Lissa marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Fabiana Alvarez
Fabiana Alvarez marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Paul Davis
Paul Davis is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2016
Emily Leathers
Emily Leathers marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
L. JoAndrea
L. JoAndrea rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Summer457
Summer457 marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Annie Bellet is a full-time speculative fiction writer. She holds a BA in English and a BA in Medieval Studies and thus can speak a smattering of useful languages such as Anglo-Saxon and Medieval Welsh.

Her books include Avarice (Pyrrh Considerable Crimes Division: Book 1), A Heart in Sun and Shadow (Cymru That Was: Book 1), The Gryphonpike Chronicles series, and the Twenty-Sided Sorceress series.

H
More about Annie Bellet...