Food: The Good Girl's Drug: How to Stop Using Food to Control Your Feelings

Food: The Good Girl's Drug: How to Stop Using Food to Control Your Feelings

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A guide to ending compulsive emotional overeating and establishing a healthy relationship with food.
Sunny Sea Gold started fighting a binge eating disorder in her teens. But most books on the topic were aimed at older women, women she had a hard time relating to. Calling on top psychiatrists, nutritionists, and fitness experts, Sunny offers real advice to a new generatio...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food

Cassandra
I really enjoyed the pace and flow of this book. While it may be more geared towards a younger set, that makes sense as binge eating disorder has only recently become more recognized within the addictions and psychological community and mostly younger woman are being diagnosed, though I'm sure there are plenty of older woman who have had these same experiences and are attempting to work on these same food issues.

I loved some of the exercises given and will enjoy going back to this book when I'm...more
Ashley
I don't think the other negative reviews I've seen give the book justice, or gave it a chance. As someone who struggles with the issues discussed in this book, I felt it was very helpful. When I got through the first chapter I was in tears because I knew for the first time that there were others out there like me and I wasn't some lunatic with food issues. Sunny was great at taking you through the process of healing. It doesn't just jump-in to the therapy. First you have to accept what's happeni...more
Susan
I initially gave this book 3 stars but decided to raise it to 4 after reading (or rather, starting) another book on the same topic. After thinking about the approach this book takes in contrast with the more rigid and structured methodology of the other book's "detox" approach, I can really appreciate the benefits of the more introspective and nurturing approach taken by this author.

The anecdotes really bring to life the various manifestations of a food addiction/binge syndrome. And the emphasis...more
Reeny
I did not pick up this book expecting to be cured of my tendency to over eat, binge eat, or diet. I picked up this book because it did not promise a cure. It was helpful (for me) that other people shared their feelings and thoughts throughout the book. I found myself relating to some topics and feeling a sense of relief when I couldn't relate to some.

It was also a reminder that we are very impressionable when we are young and not always taught to respect our bodies or the food (fuel) it needs....more
C
A practical book with good straight common sense. It is also a quick read. I really enjoyed it and took a few things from it that'll help me think more clearly about food and eating habits (sugar...my kryptonite!). It gave me some insight into my past - in particular my teens - and encouraged a bit more in-depth thinking about the motivations behind behaviors.

Great references in the back and her "toolkit" could be applied to any addiction.

Dani Nicole
I thought this book was helpful, but not life changing. I think the author spends too much time letting the reader wallow in her binges, feeling the same shame and disgust that she felt at the time, which is NOT the point of the book. Eventually the book moves on into what you can do to help yourself. I like the toolbox idea, and the chapters following. The end was basically, "look at me I'm healed". I get where she was going with this book, but I don't think it's the most helpful thing out ther...more
Mariah
I'm not much of a proponent of self-help books. In fact, I typically think they're hogwash. But this book was different. Sunny Sea Gold did an excellent job making this book more than another self-help book. She incorporated her own story, stories of others who struggle with food, and information from healthcare professionals. I recommend this book to anyone struggling with food.
Madison Hite
I can relate to a lot of what they talk about throughout this book. Yeah, some topics more than others, but this book definitely gave me hope in myself and made me want to put in even more effort in making a change for myself. This is the first self-help book I've ever read by choice and it makes sense because my love and relationship with food is such a huge part of my life.
As someone who just entered treatment for binge eating disorder, I really like this book. It offered a peak into a problem I have lived with for a long time. It allowed me to see things in myself that I did not see normally and connect it together.

I recommend this book to anyone with binge eating disorder.
Spook Harrison
Aug 30, 2011 Spook Harrison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Spook by: Me!
Shelves: health-mental
Better than I expected! From the writing style, which was obviously aimed at the current teen or college-age student, I wasn't exactly expecting much, but Gold's book had a lot of great ideas, was clear and had a very linear progression to it. Extremely helpful! Again, I may need to get one for myself!
Angelique
awesome book! I love her honesty and sensitive touch in writing about a difficult subject for many people. Gave me insight into my own eating habits as a teenager and into adulthood. Well written. Suggest reading if you or a loved one have an odd or unhealthy relationship with food.
Melissa
I'm trying to eat fewer of my feelings. This book gently told me what I already knew - that it's not about what you're eating, but how you're dealing with life. A hard road. But I was encouraged by the stories of other women who were able to heal and stop.
Delia
I'm about 50 pages into this book and I hate it. I feel like all of it is pedestrian knowledge. Also, she addresses women as girls throughout the book -- I think this book may be more intended for teens than it is for adult women. Not loving this one...
Mellybeans0919
Excellent from beginning to end. The personal stories were really insightful and the author's advice and questions at the end of each chapter were very good. I read it in under two days, I enjoyed it so much. Highly recommended.
Carly
I highly enjoyed this book's honesty and pragmatism. There is a lot of good strategies for use. That said, I never felt like I could join the author in her struggle because she presents as if it is a distant memory, in some ways.
Caitlin Trepp
Aug 12, 2011 Caitlin Trepp rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caitlin by: SC-VA library
It is super-interesting to read from the POV of someone who seems to be doing very well in Recovery from binge eating disorder. I enjoyed this book just to read someone else's journey, although I don't look at it really as a guide.
Jaime
This is an excellent resource for binge/emotional eaters that will help you to see that you are not alone. The help offered via actual clinics is US-centric, but I found the content to still be worth it and appropriate.
Masokist
Thought it was going to be foofy, but it was actually pretty enlightening. Recommended.
Martha Grace
I really am the older generation
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Georgina
Georgina marked it as to-read
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Lola
Lola marked it as to-read
Vicki
Vicki is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Kristin Ouimet
Kristin Ouimet marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014