Start by marking “The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3)

The Jargoon Pard (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  817 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Kethan, son of Gillan and Herrel, heir to the House of Car Do Prawn, destined to become lord of Arvon, acquires a leopard-skin belt with strange powers, its clasp a leopard's head made from jargoon stone. Unable to take it off, Kethan becomes part man, part beast. In the perilous confrontation between his inner good and evil, he discovers his true identity and the quest he ...more
Hardcover, First edition, 194 pages
Published 1974 by Atheneum

To ask other readers questions about The Jargoon Pard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jargoon Pard

Terence
Oct 16, 2011 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Norton & Witch World fans
Not much to say here about The Jargoon Pard except on a personal note. The story is a solid, by-the-numbers fantasy quest as Kethan is forced to discover his true heritage. It's set in Norton's Witch World but isn't, IMO, one of the more memorable entries, and would only recommend it to a Norton completist. The characters are not very complex (though Ursilla could have been a really nasty villain if given more room to develop), and the ending stumbles into the deus ex machina snare.

On the person
Catsalive
What possessed the woman to name it the house of Prawn? I came up short every time the Car Do Prawn appeared in the text which ruined the momentum - Prawn!? I kept picturing a house with a big prawn sitting on top - most off-putting, I assure you. Apart from the prawns I enjoyed the story of the were-shifters. Another entertaining episode of Witch World phenomena.

back cover:
He was called Kethan and the secret of his birth had been hidden until now. He had been chosen to lead the great house of C
Michael Clutton
Jan 18, 2010 Michael Clutton rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: classic fantasy lovers
It's been over 30 years since I read this. Hard to remember anything except this: I found it fascinating and it was one of my early ventures into the world of fantasy. I know I kept it for years. Wish I could remember whatever happened to it.

An old book, yes. But, one I would still recommend.
Hokomoko
During a long flight, after an exhausting business trip, I sought refuge in another of Norton's Witchworld novels. As ever, she wastes no time on diversions or non-essential side plots. The coming of age developments sit in a mythical frame - complete with the Inauspicious Beginning tbrough to Happy End. That said, the juxtaposition of small minded (though still dangerous) adversaries against the heroes involved in a much wider context and struggle gave the book a certain unique problematic that ...more
Sheryl Tribble
Not sure what it is about Andre Norton. Her plots are fine, characters generally unoriginal but always perfectly functional, and she creates imagery that can stick with me for years and years, but somehow it never comes together into a book I love. All her books that I've read were great vacation reads that I never have the slightest inclination to hang onto long term. Can't quite put my finger onto why.
Lisa
I've read most of Andre Norton's books back in the 1960's and 70s when I was a kid. Mrs Norton is a Master Weaver of Stories. The Jargoon Pard Which World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #3 tells a tale of the hero Kethan, heir to the throne of Car do Prawn whose birthing started with a lie and his adventures from the untangling of that knot. I can't remember the ending, I am rereading right now. I figure this tale will lead the reader on a journey of knowing the self, as Kethan has found he can b ...more
Sharon
I read this for the first time when I was a kid, and I decided to come back as an adult and see how it held up. Not bad at all. There are the usual features of fantasy novels that either draw you in or repel you: the made-up words, the artificially archaic syntax, the unexplained magical world - if these instantly turn you off to a book, then don't bother with this one. But if you can see past it, this is actually a well-crafted little novel.

I realized, while reading it this time, that this book
Ruby Hollyberry
I didn't realize this was a Witch World novel or I'd've gotten around to it much sooner! VERY good so far.

Update: Not only is it a wonderful story and a Witch World book (they are all more or less wonderful) but it turns out to be the sequel to one of my favorites of her books - Year of the Unicorn!!! I was so excited when I realized. It is also one of my favorite kinds of sequels, the kind that tells the story of the following generation's youthful challenges and triumphs, just as Year of the U
John
1978 grade B-
Jeffrey
Apr 06, 2010 Jeffrey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: good early fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
Another favorite from my youth about a power struggle between Kethan, the heir to a great house in the Ancient land of Arvon and his cousin Maughus. Kethan is given a belt that allows him to shapeshift into a wild cat. Meanwhile Ursilla, his mother's evil wise woman plots to destroy him using dark magic. Maughus finds out about his shapeshifting talents and wants to use that to force him off the throne.

Ultimately there is a confrontation between good and evil.
Valerie
Not only a good story, but an indication of Norton's thorough research. In a short paragraph of acknowledgement, she not only credits the originator of the tarot reading, but also mentions what a 'jargoon' is. To complete the title, a 'leopard' is a 'lion-pard'--the term 'pard' was once used to describe various great cats (specifically, in this case, a desert cat.)
Jacqueline
Another of my all time favorites. I love shifter stories to this day maybe because of this book. High Hallack stories are my favorites of the Witch World series. Lots of Norton's hallucinaginic type magic. A mistreated hero. A bit of a love story. Love it.
Tom
The structures of her books may be heavily formulaic, but she fills out that structure with wonderfully imaginative and even poetic details. I enjoy reading her books every now and then, but I couldn't read many too close together.
Brent
Young adult fiction that entertains me, even after 30+ years have passed since the first reading. Some authors just strike you that way. For me, Norton is one of them.
Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
Must we have the Deus ex Machina? The story could have been told as easily without the interference of yet another godly power. Ho hum.

Tracey
Read in the mid 80's - along with a lot of other Norton novels. I remember enjoying it at the time, but couldn't tell you much about it.
Rachael
A fun, quick little read. This was my first of Andre Norton's - I'd be interested to check out more of them.
Theresa
an odd story with animals and growing up
Pam May
Re-reading as an adult
S. G.
S. G. added it
Jul 25, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Dawn
Dawn added it
Jul 08, 2015
  • Night's Daughter
  • Drinker of Souls (Drinker of Souls, #1)
  • The Broken Citadel
  • A Wind in Cairo
  • White Shores (The Vitalis Chronicles. #1)
  • Waters Luminous and Deep
  • Bending the Landscape: Fantasy
  • Sleepers Of Mars
  • Rusalka (Russian Stories, #1)
  • The Dragons of the Rhine
  • Satanic, Versus (Diana Tregarde Series)
  • The Winds of Gath (Dumarest of Terra #1)
  • Flashback (The Saskia Brandt Series, #2)
  • Spacehounds of IPC
  • Blackmantle
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Horn Crown (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #0)
  • Year of the Unicorn (Witch World Series 2, High Hallack Cycle, #1)
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • Zarsthor's Bane (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #4)
  • The Crystal Gryphon (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #5)
  • Gryphon in Glory (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #6)
  • Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #7)
  • Were Wrath
  • Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)
  • The Gates to Witch World
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)