The Last Killiney (Ravenna Evans, #1)

The Last Killiney (Ravenna Evans #1)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  36 reviews

The Last Killiney, the first book in The Ravenna Evans Series.

On holiday in England, Ravenna Evans begins to recall her past life as an eighteenth-century Irish viscount's lover. When she is swept back in time to relive this affair (along with Lord Killiney's very unwilling modern counterpart), she learns that living in the past isn't all fun and games, and that history ca...more
Published March 2nd 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Last Killiney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Killiney

Eileen Campos
What was up with the Disneyland arc? How did that fit in?

It could've started with the expensive phone call with the cousin.

Other than that, I like story, granted I skipped a few pages, the exposition was quite dragging sometimes a tad bit self explanatory.

I describe it as having 4 parts, Paul and Ravenna. Ravenna and Paul WTF happened. Vancouver and post Vancouver. The part when they were figuring things out when they find themselves in 'pants not their own' I really just pushed myself past it...more
Mahrie G.
I don't usually read historical books but this time travel story pulled me into the story solidly before it flung me into the past. Likeable characters, history, sailing ships and forbidden love, a dead lover and more make this an entertaining read.
Malu N
really enjoyed this a bit different but a good read
Lola4
It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a book as much as this one. I am not a fan of time-travel books since there are usually things that don't make sense to me, and if I work too hard trying to make sense of them I get a headache. So I make it a point to not try to think about the time-travel thing and just get swept along with the adventure and romance. This wasn't a perfect book and there were spots where things seemed to drag out just a little too long, but since I was so engrossed, I rea...more
Ashley
This book read a lot like "outlander" by Diana Gabaldon to me. I loved that book, and I enjoyed this one too. I thought that the Disneyland arc at the beginning was unnecessary, though, besides the fact that it just set up a connection? It could have started out with them as adults, with the flashback, and I feel it would have fit into the story a little better. Overall, though, I did enjoy the premise of the novel. I have dabbled in writing this genre of novel, but it is difficult to keep timel...more
Elly Helcl
This deserves four stars for sheer creativity!

A time travel historical romance with both the hero and heroine being from the future. I enjoyed it and it was a new take on a very popular romance theme.

Kudos to the author and job well done.
Mindy
An interesting treatise about how fate, time-travel, reincarnation, and love can make for a really challenging storyline.

I had a few issues with Ravenna. She was pushy in some ways - even forceful at times - but when it came to trying to convince her love to take things to the next level, she was positively Victorian in her approach. I also found it difficult to believe that Ravenna so easily succumbed to Christian's threats and married him. She had too many resources at her disposal that would...more
Chaele
You will like this book if you like sappy, unrealistic Harlequin Romance type novels. More of a read for the teen set, not for those who enjoy Historical Fiction as this is lacking in historical detail of any type.
SandraE
It has been awhile since I read an epic romance. I generally avoid them purely because of their length but this one had such rave reviews that I decided to break the rules. After a rocky start the book eventually hit its stride. It reminded me of the other two good time travel series, Outlander and Reflections in the Nile. Like those books this one is only the first in the series. I have yet to decide if I want to devote time to rest of the books in this series because I gave up no the other two...more
Taya M
So this book involves time travel and the switching of places... it is very detailed and makes the reader feel emotion.

I was entranced at the start because it felt so realistic but as the book moved on there was less and less character interaction and it lost me sometimes.

This book is good although the ending confused me a little because it just dropped off there was no conclusion or denument but overall it was a very interesting read filled with discovery and societies expectations of people a...more
Monika
I really liked the idea behind this book but it just didn't follow through for me, I found the beginning hard to get into and hard to connect to the main characters. A little more than 1/4 of the way in I saw some promise and was anxious to finish reading it, then it just lost me. I'm not sure why and can't really pin point what happened but I realized I really didn't care about what was happening. I did finish the story, and unfortunately have to say the story was just an OK read.
Angela
I enjoyed the book well enough but I don't feel all the themes were explored as well as I would have liked. Admittedly, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon is my favorite book series and it's impossible to prevent comparisons. Unfortunately for this story, DG is a superior writer and my opinion of The Last Killiney suffers as a result. I see there are two more books in this series, but after reading the descriptions, I'm not sure I want to read them.
Virginia Westlake
"The Last Killiney is one of the greatest stories I have ever read. The book starts a little slow due to introducing the characters and setting up the plot.
Once this is completed there is no putting the book down. You will "boo" the bad guys, be heartbroken for Raveena, and your heart will melt over Paul.
This story has become one of my favorites and I can't wait to start the next book of this series.
Marissa
Oy. I'm not quite sure why I continued to read this book. It was akwardly written, and the main characters became more and more annoying, with the exception of James and Sarah.
I feel like I should write a more in depth review as to the faults with this book, but I can't see expending anymore energy into it. Waste of time... at least it was free.
Suzy
This was a free Kobo ebook which I'd had on my e-reader for two years. I started reading it when I'd run out of everything else to read. It was surprisingly good, I loved the star-crossed lovers, time-travel aspect for pure escapism. If you'd like a bit of history, fantasy and heaving-bosom, firm manhood type of romance, this is for you :-)
Mandy
It is nice fluff to read when my brain is scattered. The story idea is interesting, but it is pretty clumsy in the telling. The character dialog isn't very believable and doesn't match the actions. It can get a little slow. However, for a free book, it isn't as bad as I thought it would be and I will read it from cover to cover.
William Battersby
A romantic romp through history and geography. Well written and scholarly, this highly original story tells the tale of 'star-crossed lovers' for whom time itself is yet another challenge. Unusal and touching, this should be a required addition to every Kindle!
Kathryn
So far the book has kept me wanting more. I can't seem to put it down. The characters are very well described as well all that's going on. The writing makes you feel like you are actually there. I love this book and can't wait to read the next one.
QuetzalBacon
Not a fan, and it was free on Kobo. If you find Gabaldon to be too cerebral or heavy on historical detail, this may be for you. The plot might seem more plausible after a box of wine, and that may be what I was missing.
3littlejovis
Enjoyed it. Was a little confusing to follow, but eventually made sense. Had some "aha" moments, but they came before the actual reveal of the big "aha". Not sure if that makes it predictable, but I really did enjoy the story.
Grace
This book was refreshing. It was an interesting concept and was executed well.

I did not continue with the series, after reading the summaries, they seemed too far out there.
Rachel
This was pretty good - unfortunately, I definitely didn't agree with the actions of most of the characters. Ah, well. At least it was entertaining.
Togoldor Erdenebileg
There are some gaps in the story, but I tried to neglect them. Overall I liked the book, as time travel stories are one of my favorites.
Julie
I love historical fiction, and I really liked that this one had a Canadian flair, but the ending seemed really abrupt to me.
wanda flanagan
I loved this book from beginning to end .Ravenna and Pauls story is one not to be missed
From start to finish I was captivated .
Vampiremama
A nice fluffy romance without the usual cliches. No heaving bosoms or pulsing manhoods. It is just a fun easy read.
Amanda
Great idea for a story and dynamic characters but I found it repeated a lot and was slow in the middle.
Eloise
Not sure how or why I continued with this book. It was choppy and the characters not especially endearing.
Stephanie
Loved the book, I haven' cried over a story in a long time. I will definitely read more of her books!
Lisa Webber
An enjoyable read. A little hard to follow in places, but enough intrigue and romance to keep you going.
  • Christmas in Time
  • Dark Prelude
  • Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1)
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • His Not So Sensible Miss (A Gentleman's Guide to Once Upon a Time #3)
  • Colby's Child
  • The Vampires' Last Lover (Dying of the Dark #1)
  • Christmas Redemption
  • Legacy
  • A Delightful Arrangement (The Gentlemen Next Door, #1)
  • FREEDOM : The Rake And The Recluse : Part One
  • Fall Into His Arms
  • Giving Up (Truth or Dare #3)
  • Another Dawn
  • Forgotten Father
  • The Ghost Hunter (The Hunter, #1)
  • Garden of Darkness (Pale Immortal, #2)
  • The Bride Price (Civil War Brides, #1)
The Wager (Ravenna Evans, #2) The Bayman's Bride (Ravenna Evans, #3) The Singer's Wife: The Reincarnation of Mary Carter