Start by marking “Batman: Dead White” as Want to Read:
Batman: Dead White

Batman: Dead White (Batman)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Who better than Batman to protect the dangerous city of Gotham, where even the cops are crooks? But the latest imminent terror might be too much for the burgeoning Caped Crusader, who is still carving out a place for himself in the minds of Gotham’s criminals.

There’s a host of deadly new weapons in Batman’s glittering, sinister city–in the hands of a psychotic mastermind c
Published July 25th 2006 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanCassidy Jones and the Secret Formula by Elise StokesEx-Heroes by Peter ClinesCassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift by Elise StokesConfessions of a D-List Supervillain by Jim Bernheimer
Super Hero Books [Not Graphic Novels]
81st out of 261 books — 317 voters
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanHero by Perry MooreKingdom of Heroes by Jay  PhillipsWild Cards by George R.R. MartinAfter the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn
Super Hero Books
68th out of 146 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Jojo
Sure it's batman, how can any one damage something already good? Well this author did. John Shirlys version in this book, had little to do with batman and more about a cop and his drug addicted son. White eyes was not as good as a bad guy as I expected, I perferdly liked Esperanza (the crazy gunmaker) than white eyes. I will defenetly read more of the batman series as long as its not John Shirley.
Trekscribbler
I don't know that John Shirley has ever picked up a single comic book or graphic novel detailing the mythos of Batman, the Dark Knight, in his life, but, if I base my opinion on the "facts" he presents in BATMAN: DEAD WHITE, I'd have to say loudly that he hasn't. As a matter of fact, I'm honestly surprised that the good folks at DC Comics would have allowed this "interpretation" of the Dark Knight -- if that's what it is -- to see the light of day.

Now, don't get me wrong: the first one hundred
Phil Elmore
I'm a big fan of John Shirley's other work, especially "Crawlers" and "Demons" -- though rarely have I been struck, in reading a writer's efforts, with quite so palpable a feeling that I am being informed of that writer's personal details. In Shirley's case, though I know nothing about him except what I have read in the aforementioned novels and his collection, "Black Butterflies," I am quite positive that Shirley is quite politically liberal and almost certainly gay. Neither of these facts of h ...more
Rose
May 16, 2010 Rose rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic fans, batman fans
"Batman: Dead White" is a mature story that may be a bit intense due to its content and subject matter, but for those that can withstand the crude language, the graphic violence, and the racially charged conflict in this book - it's quite the Batman adventure, and well worth the listen if you're taking in the Graphic Audio audiobook. The experience is enhanced by an original soundtrack, sound effects, and a myriad of voice actors who provide an interesting listening experience. I did have my qua ...more
Cy
In three words: Not Quite Batman

What I liked: The story, once it got started, was interesting if a bit predictable. The author manages to get over the jarring sensation I usually get when you mix superheroes with realistic issues, such as drug-running and racism, without making too many bumps along the way.

What I disliked: The author spends a bit too much time, for my tastes anyway, on original characters rather than on the titular character. Most annoying, however, is that this novel is ostensi
Blu
Shirley pulls no punches in this tale of a still-new-at-this Batman taking on a violent White Supremacist group with roots in Gotham City. Batman: Dead White leans close to Christopher Nolan's dark, contemporary take on The Dark Knight. The level of violence is surprising (many victims are literally cut in half by a new high-tech automatic shotgun called The Dread), and Shirley's portrayal of the Supremacists cuts no corners - the bad guys toss the "N-word" around with abandon. The book also cal ...more
Steven Shinder
This is quite different for a Batman story. Though the incorporation of an Ebola Gulf virus is a nice homage to Batman: Contagion, this is a different continuity. Though they tried to make it a continuation from Batman Begins, I am not certain that it fits in the continuity. This story takes place a year and a half after the beginning of Batman's career, and it seems to be December-January. The racial themes and profanity make this perhaps the most mature Batman story ever created, which is a br ...more
Frida Orozco

This book started great! But by the time I got to the end it was bad. The villain "white eyes" was pathetic, his minion "Esperanza" was a better bad guy. The author included useless information about characters that I didn't care about. So in shorter words did not like the book.
Rob
Feb 22, 2011 Rob rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: popcorn
Never quite felt like Batman.
Dale
A harder edge to Batman tales than most are used to

Published 2009 by GraphicAudio
Performed by a cast of 30+ actors
Duration: Approximately 6 hours

Set early in Batman's career, Batman: Dead White features Batman versus a group of militia-based racists who are planning an Al-Qaeda inspired terror campaign designed to start a race war. The plan is reminiscent of Charles Manson's Helter Skelter race war except that the lunatic in charge of this group is much more organized and has hundreds and hundre
Schuylar
Strange Batman story after around 150 pages. I quit reading it. Not the Batman that I'm used to...he even jokes towards the criminals he fights like Spider-Man.
Drew Mochak
This is very much in the style of the new Batman movies that are trying to make him exist as much in the same world as us as possible, and over all it succeeds. I found it an enjoyable, if predictable read, and the characters all acted pretty much like people. I was uncomfortable with the level of violence, particularly sexual, in nature from the racists that make up the bulk of the enemies in this book, but bad guys do bad stuff and it never felt like it was there for its own sake. If you are e ...more
Michael
In my world, Batman is like pizza... even when its bad it's pretty good. In this case, the book being about Batman was pretty much the only redeeming quality. There was a good story underneath the hackneyed writing, but the author didn't bother to develop it, instead introducing supporting character after supporting character to throw at Batman. Still, it was Batman, so I read it and enjoyed what I could. I hope to find a better novel featuring the Caped Crusader because this was not up to par.
Dominique
The book centers around the earlier days of Batman, when he's only been fighting crime for a couple of years (or there abouts). There is a racist terrorist who has plans for bigger and better acts of terror and decides to try out his plans in Gotham on the fledgling crime fighter known as the Batman.

I think this book is more geared towards people who have more than your average knowledge of Batman and his world. There's not a lot of description and it's dull in some parts.
Robert Lee
This is for the audio version of Batman: Dead White as done by Graphic Audio.

Compared to Batman - Inferno, which had the Joker chewing up the scenery, Dead White seems more grounded in the real world of White Supremacists, arms dealing, and drugs. John Shirley, an underrated writer from the days of cyberpunk, wrote a very engaging story. Graphic Audio, once again does a great job of adapting the book to audio format (unabridged) with a great cast and sound effects.
William
Much more vulgar and violent than I expected, this book still captured Batman in, what I feel, is the conflicted vigilante crime fighter he should be. He despairs over the deaths of those (criminals too) around him, and is pursued not only by the villains but by the police. He is haunted by his own feelings and morals about what he does, and he wonders if the world really needs the Batman. Yes it does, and so do I. Good stuff.
Ricky Ganci
I loved how grown up it was – like the movie, a story of the Dark Knight. Profanity, violence, stuff that a real-world Batman would encounter regularly. I liked its grittiness and unapologetic plot, but some of the characters were a bit flat and uninteresting. The whole offer of being an unnamed U.S. Marshal was cool, as was Bruce’s choice to turn him down.
Annice22
This was really good but I wouldn't suggest it for young Batman fans because it maybe a bit too intense for them.

This book was very well written, fast paced and full of action. I really enjoyed this Batman because despite being still new to being a superhero he was smart and resourceful and definitely not boring. Again, I thought this was really good.

Jason Miller
This batman is like the character from the "Batman Begins" movies, about 1 1/2 years into this new Batman role - testing new toys, still learning the best way to do things, with a new bad guy to test Batman's limits - it was a fun read, though it didn't feel quickly paced until near the end, like the story was flowing slow.
Eric
Aug 07, 2013 Eric marked it as to-read
I was curious to see how a superhero novel would work. It's a little jarring at first, but interesting so far. They had to have the obligatory info dump of who Batman is just in case someone reading doesn't know, but I guess there's no avoiding that...more later.
Matt Randall
Great book from the batman series. This book takes place between the movies batman begins and the dark knight. The story finds batman fighting some neo-nazis and trying to finally accept the mantle of the bat.
Damien
Decent story. However the political biases of the author, as well as his lack understanding of certain details (an AR-15 is not an automatic rifle), detracted from the writing. Otherwise it was a decent work.
Dan Panke
There aren't that many non-graphic novels out there written about the Batman. This is one of them.
I wish I would have held on to my comic book collection. I could have made some big time cash.
Pizzle
Why do I keep fooling myself into thinking that I may one day enjoy a Batman novel?

1/5 Stars

Sorely disappointed, but not surprised.
Splash Champion
Shiley takes time here to explore a Batman adventure outside of Gotham (rare) with clever descriptions of Bat Tech.
Mouldy Squid
A fine Batman story by a under-rated science fiction author. Once again, Graphic Audio brings it.
Timo
Pretty damn well executed story from the early days of Batman. Not bad at all. Not bad.
Pike
This was a grim and gritty Batman that pulled me through.
Kelly Nielsen
Surprisingly underwhelming - even to a batfan.
  • Batman: Inferno
  • Batman: Vampire
  • The Flash: Stop Motion
  • Exterminators
61958
John Shirley is the author of more than a dozen books, including Demons; Crawlers; City Come A-Walkin’; Really, Really, Really, Really, Weird Stories; and the classic cyberpunk trilogy A Song Called Youth: Eclipse, Eclipse Penumbra, and Eclipse Corona. He is the recipient of the Horror Writers Association’s Bram Stoker Award and won the International Horror Guild Award for his collection Black But ...more
More about John Shirley...
BioShock: Rapture Constantine: The Hellblazer Collection Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1) City Come a-Walkin' Constantine