Honor Bound (Honor Bound, #1)

Honor Bound (Honor Bound #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,738 ratings  ·  53 reviews
October 1942. At a secret rendezvous point off the coast of neutral Argentina, a small merchant ship delivers supplies to Nazi submarines and raiders. The OSS is deternined to sabotage the operation by any means necessary. But one of the key saboteurs they've enlisted--a young U.S Marine--must fight his own private battle between duty and honor. Because he was chosen for a...more
Paperback
Published November 1st 1994 by Jove (first published December 31st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Honor Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor Bound

GymGuy
Again, this book has pretty good reviews, but I "JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" Boring beyond all belief!

This is a soap opera for men. While it is billed as a WWII story, it has little to do with the actual War and is much more about people during WWII. Trying to find a plot was like trying to drill for water in Abu Dhabi. After 50% there was almost no story line. Just characters....characters...and more characters. Who they went to bed with, what they had for dinner, what restaurant they ate a...more
Snowfalcon
Yes, I read this guy.

Yes, they are "romance novels for guys".

They're simple, they're straightforward, the language is easy.

My defense is simple. While they are simple they are not stupid. There is an elegance to simplicity.

There are times too when as "good for me" as something more classic may be ... I want to just relax, and to do so with a medium that is not so manipulative as TV or even film. These books fit the bill.

The Honor Bound series is the best of his I've read so far.
David
This series is a LOT like the Presidential Agent series-- a young hero/aviator leads a group on clandestine missions. And, as usual, Griffin spends more time setting up the background for the story and familiarizing the reader with the culture and people of World War II era Argentina, certainly an out of the way place (and an interesting choice) for a World War II novel.

The only real problem is that the real action in this novel is limited to three small sections-- one is an air drop of supplie...more
JBradford
This is the first volume of what became the Honor Bound series, introducing First Lieutenant Cletus Howell Frade, who—like most of Griffin’s heroes--happens to been born filthy rich and therefore can get away with most everything-you know: he smokes Cuban cigars, drinks Old Grouse, and sleeps with every pretty woman he meets. As the novel opens, Frade is a 22-year-old U.S. Marines pilot of Wildcat fighter planes on Guadalcanal and has just shot down his sixth Japanese Zero, making him an officia...more
Linda Munro
This is the first book in the Honor Bound series. Set during World War II, this book covers Hitler's interest in controlling neutral Argintina, and the U.S.' interest in the same; the specific goal of the U.S. appears to be sabatage against Argintine ships using American petroleum to refuel German warships; but, as we all know, nothing is as it seems.

The OSS has selected three servicemen (from various branches of the service) to go to Argentina and disable a ship which will be refuling enemy s...more
Will
OSS Recruits Frade, Assigns Him to Argentina. Jerked back to the Star Tour following his becoming an ace, Frade is recruited by the OSS to go to Argentina ostensibly to surreptitiously attack a fake Nazi submarine tender. Jorge, his estranged father, is the most powerful man in Argentina and the mission reeks of influence peddling by the OSS. Following a grand reunion of father and son, the Nazis put out a hit on Clete but he is warned off by his new Luftwaffe fighter pilot Peter von Wachstein w...more
Rapidio
If you have read WEB Griffin before, you know what to expect: All the male characters are dashing, the weasels look like weasels; the women are either beautiful or salt of the earth or both. and everyone is pretty much rich. There is lots of doting on the trappings of the rich life, which is somewhat of a discordant feature when most of the characters are active duty military. But damn, his stories always just seem to suck the reader in. All of his series, The Corps, The Brotherhood of War, Badg...more
Joel Sommer
Ok read. Slow at time, in which I could put it down for long periods of time. Did enjoy the latter part of the book and could not put it down until I finished it late one night. Still thinking about whether I will continue with the series. May take a break.
Jason Golomb
"An officer is honor bound to face whatever hazards his duty requires; not throw his life, or that of his men, away."

"Honor Bound" takes an interesting mix of colorful characters, wartime intrigue, blends them together in an uncommon World War II location, that results in a fairly deep and fun book. Based mostly in Buenos Aires, prolific military writer, W.E.B. Griffin does a good job of creating fairly fleshy characters, and creating a unique WWII thriller.

It's a little hard to even characteri...more
Bob Harris
What I don't like about Griffin's books is the redundnacy. While his stories may be interesting and exciting, he just gets too carried away with formality, military bearing and repetition.
Matthew
I am a big fan of Griffin. His books almost always get 3 stars from me but they always meet my expectations. I am not reading Griffin for great literary achievements. I read him because I know I will enjoy the story.

This is the first book in the Honor Bound series. Set in Argentina during World War II it follows a cast of characters involved in U.S., Argentine, and German politics and military machinations. Their is political intrigue, spy stuff, beautiful women, fast cars, and a pretty good sto...more
Samuel Sieja
This book series is probably my favorite out of the two I have read so far, the other being the President's Agent series. I would not have thought that at all going into the first book, but it was remarkably well done and quite enjoyable. I am looking forward to book two.
Bonnie
I read the last book in this series first and then found out that there were four that came before it so I decided to go back and listen to those. When I saw that there are 18(!) discs in the audiobook I almost decided against it, but since I'd liked the last one I decided to go ahead. It really didn't seem as long as it is, which should indicate that it is pretty engrossing.

I have really liked Scott Brick's reading of books in the past, but in the last book he made the hero Cletus Frade seem to...more
Tim Glinatsis
Awesome read. I couldn't put this one down...
George
Wilbur Smith and Alistair MacLean was my favorite authors, but I have another to add to my list, and that is W.E.B. Griffin. I've read two of the Honor Bound series now (Honor Bound & Blood And Honor), starting on the third of the Honor Bound series (Secret Honor), anxious to see where Clete takes me to this time. If you enjoyed Honor Bound, recommend you read Blood and Honor, it's the continuation of Honor Bound and it sure is exciting, packed with plenty of action in Griffin style.
Philip Cohen
Booooooooring...........
Cindy
It expanded my horizons-being a mil wife for 30+ years -I never even thought about how S.A. fit into the scheme of things. I had worked with an older RN in SAT whose father was a Rear Adm and then her husband was stationed in Occupied Berlin w/ Gen Omar Bradley was there and thoroughly enjoyed her stories and in 5th grade we got a kid whose father had been stationed in Quito, Ecuador so I am getting sort of up to speed...
Megargee
This is the first volume in a new WEB Griffin series, this one about an OSS team based in Argentina during WW II. As the first in a new series, considerable time is spent introducing the characters and their back stories before the action starts. However, WEB fans will find most the the stereotyped characters found in his other military novels, engaging in the same behaviors, drinking the same Scoth and so on.
Paul
I re-read this book (after reading the rest of the series), and I forgot how great it was! Griffin is so good at character development and making you think his characters are as real as the actual historical figures (this is, after all, historical fiction), and this book has good action at the end of it. I very much enjoyed it the first time in 2007 and again this time.
Joan Karter
Didn't find this as good as the first in the presidential series but entertaining nevertheless. Am planning to try the next one.
Bill
I listened to this on CD; didn't read it. I suppose it might get an extra half-star in actual book form but as a listening experience, one of the stupidest things I've ever been exposed to.

And what the title has to do with the story, I'll never know.

Stay away.
Craig
I like WEB Griffin's books but the first book in a series he writes is so freaking hard to get through. this one was no different but since I really liked the Brotherhood of War series and The Crops series I'm going to start the second book in Honor Bound next.
Hiknbean
I could not get into this book.
Jake
A good book. Clete Frade is pulled from Guadal canal where he was a fighter pilot to become a spy in Argentina in WWII. He has never met his father who is a very rich and powerful man in neutral Argentina and the US wants Argentina on their side. Clete
Jake
Alan Rowoth
My favorite series by WEB Griffin. It's hard not to like Cleetus Frade and his large and less stereotypical cast of characters as they weave thru the series. And viewing World War II from South America provides an unusual and fresh perspective.
Craig
My first WEB Griffin book. A WWII novel of intrigue involving an incident between the US and Germany in Argentina during the months of November/December, 1942. Implausible, boring, rough language. Not very literary. Do not recommend.
Jane Wade
So good I couldn't put it down! The character development was excellent, and I felt I was right in the middle of the action. I liked learning about the culture of Argentina and WW II in S. America. It could have happened!
Candice
This book was a great read. The characters and their interactions are wonderful. Never a dull moment and I am definitely getting the 2nd book in this series later today so I can start it as soon as possible.
Cathy
What really surprised me was the ending of the book. Everything that the suspense was built on... it just amazed me how W.E.B. Griffin could pull it off (the ending) in such a matter-of-fact way.
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Fortunes of War
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Day of Wrath
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows
  • Black Wind
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • Tom Clancy Presents: Act of Valor
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the author of thirty-six epic novels in six series, all of which have been listed on The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly and other best-seller lists. More than forty million of his books are in print in more than ten languages, including Hebrew, Chinese,...more
More about W.E.B. Griffin...
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2) Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)