Start by marking “Not Merely Because of the Unknown That Was Stalking Toward Them” as Want to Read:
Not Merely Because of the Unknown That Was Stalking Toward Them

Not Merely Because of the Unknown That Was Stalking Toward Them

Fiction. Poetry. Literary Nonfiction. NOT MERELY BECAUSE OF THE UNKNOWN THAT WAS STALKING TOWARD THEM is a dark re-visioning of J.M. Barrie's Peter and Wendy--as only Jenny Boully could have written.
Published June 15th 2011 by Tarpaulin Sky Press

Be the first to ask a question about Not Merely Because of the Unknown That Was Stalking Toward Them

Goose
Feb 04, 2015 Goose rated it really liked it
This book comes in at well under 100 pages, but don't be fooled by the short length. This is a dense, complicated piece. The prose is gorgeous and poetic. The story really dives into the darkness of the original Peter Pan. Lovely little piece that refuses classification.
Kendra
May 31, 2013 Kendra rated it it was amazing
I wanted to underline this entire book. The language is that beautiful.

For those of you not already familiar with Jenny Boully's take on the legend and corpus of Peter Pan: Shame. On. You. But don't worry. I'm shaming myself even as I point fingers, because this is another one of those books that I would never, ever, have given a second glance in the bookstore. If anyone had told me that I'd be reading wickedly twisted little books like this in graduate school, I'd have laughed in your face. (A
Paula
Sep 12, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
This prose retelling of the Peter Pan tale has both an upper and a lower body, just as in the Peter Pan story, there is the underground home of the Lost Boys & the little house above ground that the boys build for Wendy. Two tellings proceed in horizontally linear fashion across the pages. The upper world and the underworld. Although both partake in a scatological re-purposing of the familiar childhood story. Boully's "story" is the psycho-sexual and concerned-with-life-and-death, real-and-m ...more
Eric Susak
Dec 04, 2012 Eric Susak rated it really liked it
What makes this book wonderful is how carefully crafted it is. Boully uses repetition and "The Home Under Ground," a parallel text to the main story, to constantly pull the reader closer and closer to tiny details about the Wendy and Peter Pan relationship.

This book is mystifying and hard to grasp because the dialogues between the characters is intimate and reliant on the plot of the Peter Pan story. However, the craft shows the purpose of the critique of that story.
Isla McKetta
May 20, 2013 Isla McKetta rated it it was amazing
What would happen if you imposed adulthood on Neverland? How would Peter, Wendy, and Tiger Lily cope with things like pregnancy, syphilis, and poop? Boully poetically re-imagines this familiar tale from the point of view of an adult. It's beautiful and mysterious and warrants read after read after read.
Fatima Reian
Mar 26, 2013 Fatima Reian rated it liked it
i'm not sure how i feel about this book, it was too whimsical, too vague, perhaps too poetic for me, there were a couple of passages that i loved, i think i might re-read it again to fully get the idea of it.
Helen McClory
Apr 12, 2012 Helen McClory rated it liked it
Chaos of colour and detail. See my review here: http://www.pankmagazine.com/pankblog/...
Jai
Dec 20, 2011 Jai rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this ridiculously awesome book for Lantern Review: http://lanternreview.com/blog/2011/12...
Jen
Oct 25, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
I wanted to be in love with this book. I thought it was interesting, sometimes impressive, but...I didn't really enjoy the experience of reading it. The cover art is spectacular.
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
jyh
jyh rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2014
Abby Hagler
Abby Hagler rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Lewis
Lewis rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Amy
Apr 27, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
My review, "Woo," is published and appears on Jacket 2.

Kai Martin
Kai Martin rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Gwendolyn Jerris
Gwendolyn Jerris rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Clairedaigle
Clairedaigle rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Cari
Cari rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Maggie Sullivan
Maggie Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Christine Friedlander
Christine Friedlander rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2012
Erin Lyndal
Erin Lyndal rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Jared
Jared rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2014
Autumn
Autumn rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2013
montana
montana rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Jessica Alexander
Jessica Alexander rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013
Jess Stoner
Jess Stoner rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2012
wojtek
wojtek rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
  • The Language of Inquiry
  • The Irrationalist
  • Pity the Bathtub Its Forced Embrace of the Human Form
  • Dark Matter
Jenny Boully is the author of four books, most recently not merely because of the unknown that was stalking toward them (Tarpaulin Sky Press). Her other books include The Books of Beginnings and Endings (Sarabande Books), [one love affair]* (Tarpaulin Sky Press), and The Body: An Essay (Essay Press, first published by Slope Editions). Her chapbook of prose,Moveable Types, was released by Noemi Pre ...more
More about Jenny Boully...