Start by marking “Among Whales” as Want to Read:
Among Whales

Among Whales

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Taking readers on a journey across the spectrum of life to discover the answers to the larger questions of life on Earth, an eminent field biologist addresses a wide range of subjects--from the purpose of the brain to the possibilities of peaceful cohabitation among the world's creatures. 9 charts.
Published April 1st 1995 by Scribner Book Company (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Among Whales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among Whales

Elena
May 30, 2010 Elena rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ocean
I was very excited to read this book when I finally got it, but I have to say, there are many books on whales that actually talk about whales, whereas this one could have saved a lot of trees if it had used a third of the words, and ink, and paper. I guess the author has a hard time keeping focused because he goes off on a billion tangents and at times forgets the book is about whales. When he stays on the subject, the things he says are interesting, but honestly, there are entire chapters that ...more
Jennifer Nelson
This book felt like sitting down with a very brilliant and interesting chatterbox and letting him go at it. For the most part, the conversation was extremely riveting. I didn't agree with him on everything, but he sure made me think.

Roger Payne packs this book with intriguing facts about much more than just whales, lots of raw emotion, beautiful scenery, and a lot of rhetoric about saving whales (some of which I think is needed). Sometimes the extra information gets a bit overwhelming, but there
Jillian
May 04, 2011 Jillian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves the sea
I'm a total freak for writings about the ocean, but often you must wade (if you will) through a lot of shitty writing to get to the interesting stuff. Not so with this guy-- the man can write. And it's not just scientific data spewed out at ya. Rather, it's his personal observations from living amongst whales for many years.

Something of which I am immensely jealous.
Amanda
This is an excellent memoir from a leading authority on cetaceans. It's full of high-quality scientific insights, but also discusses philosophical and ethical issues, and is whimsical and enlightening. At times the author goes off on tangents which may annoy some readers, but I personally enjoyed every page of this book.
peter
I loved the natural history part of this book, but, despite the fact that I agree with him, the activist angle got wearisome. He could have gotten his point across much more effectively if he had used half as many pages.
Adrian
just beautiful.

what can i say about these creatures? i dream of them.
they inspire me. i want to work with them.

this book is written with love, respect & beautiful prose. it inspired me.
Ann Cunningham
My favorite non-fiction book ever!
Kate
I read this book in high school and it made me want to be a marine biologist. Too bad I had already committed to going to college in Ohio.
Jrohde
a wonderful story of a life studying whales - well worth the read and the imagination of what these beasts are like
Amy
Lots of great information, but very thick and hard to get into. However, great look into the whale world!
Jenn Tholke
Fantastic descriptions for any whale lover; a must read...
Great descriptions of humpback whale songs.
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Jennifer Smolek
Jennifer Smolek marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Tiffany Rensfield
Tiffany Rensfield marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Jared Gillins
Jared Gillins marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Apr 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Veracity 1 1 Sep 27, 2013 05:22AM
Myths and Legends The Odyssey Communication and Behavior of Whales Aldenham School: A Foundation for Success. Editor, Roger Payne Timeless Myths