Start by marking “Innocent Hearts” as Want to Read:
Innocent Hearts

Innocent Hearts

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  553 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Kate Beecher, a young woman from Boston, looks ahead with a sense of restless longing to the life her family and friends expect her to embrace. She doesn't know what she wants, or who, until she moves with her family to the wild Montana Territory of the 1860's. Just eighteen and quietly struggling against the social constraints of the era, Kate meets a woman who fires firs ...more
Published June 24th 2014 by Smashwords Edition (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Innocent Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innocent Hearts

I'm so glad I read this book! It made me feel all warm and fuzzy in a drinking chocolate while playing with kittens sort of way. It's a tender romance between two people who respect each other and a total breath of fresh air for me.
Jul 11, 2008 Evan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like lesbian romances/historical fiction
So, I came to this novel after reading Kicker's Journey, Backwards to Oregon, Hidden Truths, and Jae's collected short stories in the Oregon series, hoping to find another historical lesbian romance of similar quality. This is not that. There is very little period detail here of any kind, aside from the occasional mention of Levi's, and this version of 1860 Montana appears to exist in an alternate reality where most people are just totally A-OK with queer romance. I'm all for sexual orientation/ ...more
Rebekah WSM
I have been looking for a lesbian romance for a really long time, but I could never really get into the plots. I really enjoyed this book. Radclyffe covers really sensitive subject matter in a very conservative time and still manages to create a believable love story. It also helps that I love historical fiction. I would definitely recommend this book.
This is one of the few Radclyffe books I've truly enjoyed. It's a western (extra points for that), self-contained, and the characters are unique and believable. There's an actual romance in this book that builds rather than her trend of the lead characters jumping each other the first chance they get. This was a great, quick summer read.
Very sweet love story!
Radclyffe knows how to describe the magic of first love.
Romance at its best. Also the beautiful and sensual love scenes make this book a pleasure to read.
Not Radclyffe's best work, to say the least.

I was disappointed. I was really looking forward to reading a new kind of romance, with a different storyline that takes place in the 19th century. But it fell so short. It didn't feel real at all, it was such a cliché... the cowboy butch, the excited femme, the prostitute, the saloon, the influenza... I just think there could have been more to it than what we see in western movies.

Radclyffe can be so inconsistent, it's really hard to know if I like h
Kate travels west with her parents, Martin and Martha, and falls in love with Montana. She also befriends Jessie, who defies virtually all of the restrictions that were imposed on Kate back in Boston. Jessie owns a ranch and commands the respect of the townspeople. Kate begins to have some seriously conflicted feelings about Jessie.

I really like the idea of this story: two young, spirited, independent girls falling in love with one another at a time when there wasn't really a word to describe wh
Svetlana Wesley
One of my top3 favorite books of Radclyffe. After Loves melody lost and When Dreams Tremble
Not one of her best. Radcliffe seems to gloss over the issues of coming out in all her books, but this one the characters sexuality was being examine closely and she didn't treat it realistically.
3.8 stars.

This is a solid, sweet love story. It was a little on the simple side and the characters were all pretty two dimensional but it's a decent, feel good read.
I love Radclyffe and I love a good Western. It's been awhile since I have read it but I give it two thumbs up.
Surprising setting and characters...but it was actually really well written and a very sexy read.
It only took me ten days to go through this book. No words added, you can figure out the rest...
Very cheesy romance novel, overuses the word "beautiful".
Naomi Stebler-stock
Radclyffe is a brilliant writer. All her books are gripping & I couldn't put down!
This was a good book, not my fav by Radclyffe but definently a good one!
Another western theme
fantastic author
Lani marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Robin marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
  • Backwards to Oregon
  • Without Warning (Shaken, #1)
  • Coyote Sky
  • Battle Scars
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
  • Hard Times
  • The Devil Inside (Cain Casey, #1)
  • Tropical Storm (Dar and Kerry, #1)
  • None So Blind
  • Hunter's Pursuit
  • Ambereye (Garoul, #2)
  • Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
Radclyffe, a retired surgeon and full time author-publisher, has published over thirty-five novels as well as dozens of short stories, has edited numerous anthologies, and, writing as L.L. Raand, has authored a paranormal romance series, The Midnight Hunters. She is a seven time Lambda Literary Award finalist in romance, mystery and erotica--winning in both romance (Distant Shores, Silent Thunder) ...more
More about Radclyffe...