Start by marking “Un misterio talla XXL (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Un misterio talla XXL (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #1)

Un misterio talla XXL (An Odelia Grey Mystery #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,489 Ratings  ·  187 Reviews
Una mujer grande de mediana edad que nunca ha estado casada y que lidia con sus relaciones, su loca familia y su todavía más loco jefe. Cuando su íntima amiga Sophie London se suicida delante de una webcam, la vida de Odelia cambia para siempre. Sophie, una activista de talla grande y una inspiración para las mujeres imperfectas, era la última persona que uno hubiera esper ...more
Published April 30th 2011 by La Factoria De Ideas (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Un misterio talla XXL, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un misterio talla XXL

Marfita
Jun 27, 2011 Marfita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fat, middle-aged paralegals
Shelves: mysteries
Disclaimer: I'm fat, middle-aged, and a former paralegal.
I devoured this in one day. Most of the ickier bits (the death is a gritty one that's revisited through retrieved screen captures) I skimmed over. Jaffarian has created some interesting characters, many of them plus-sized which is nice to see. The mystery was a good one and there is a spot of romance, where Jaffarian falls into the fatal blunder of making the sex "the best [Odelia] ever had." Writing like that makes me want to bang my hea
Lauren
Apr 18, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read. Read the books out of order and it may have increased my liking this book. I like our intrepid protagonist - Odelia is plus-sized paralegal who stumbles upon a suicide that turns into a murder. Some of the outside plot details are a little outrageous. I like the sweet love story, the friendship, and the description. Our author is a fan of the details. Not bogging you down details but little throw aways that make the read enjoyable.

Not the tightest of tales but entertaining.
Olivia
So, this one is quite difficult to review... I really liked the premise - larger, middle-aged woman who was comfortable in her own skin investigating the mysterious death of her good friend.

But it just wasn't terribly enjoyable. I wanted to get to the end so that it would be over! I couldn't just put it down without knowing the conclusion... but getting there was painful.

There was just too much extraneous description. So much fluffing wasn't necessary - I really don't need to know EVERY small de
Morgan
I'm usually not too big on the whole cozy mystery thing, but something about this one just hit the right buttons and had enough in the way of humor to get me through. A cool dog and grumpy cat didn't hurt things either.

Odelia is overweight, middle-aged, and happily single and all of those things seem to be pretty rare in a lot of books. Now, there is some romance in the series, but Odelia isn't absolutely dying for companionship. She has her best friend, her bestie's husband and kids who all tre
Ellen
A gifted author-Bravo, October 9, 2011
By Ellen Rappaport
This review is from: Too Big to Miss (The Odelia Grey Mysteries) (Paperback)
I've previously read 2 of Jaffarians other series and loved them. This was my first book in her Ophelia Grey series and Jaffarian does it again. This author included all the characters most writers wouldn't dare to include. Thank-you Sue Ann for your consideration of all of us.
This story opened up more of each character with each passing page. I became one of t
Judy
Oct 10, 2012 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh yes, Odelia Grey is large--like 5'1" and 215 pounds. She is also middle aged and the way she looks at it, if you don't like it, you can kiss her big you-know-what. Odelia is comfortable in her own skin, however, she would like to be able to stand up for herself more. In her professional life, Odelia is a corporate paralegal who is highly regarded within her law firm--which leads to her being assigned to an attorney she can't stand. She also has relationship issues, a family that is beyond dys ...more
Elaine
Jul 01, 2011 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one. And that says a lot.

Instead of the svelte beauties typical of murder investigations in this genre, we have an overweight perhaps average-looking woman in Odelia trying to piece together an apparent suicide of her close friend Sophie.

Not only is inspirational and successful Sophie one of the last persons one would expect to commit suicide, there are other details about her that only come to surface after her death, throwing Odelia into a tailspin.

There’s much suspense i
Sandy
This book was a free kindle download and I had never heard of it, so I didn't come into it with any particular expectations. But I like mysteries, so why not?

I was quite pleasantly surprised - this was a fun read. I liked the characters, I thought the plot was interesting, and the whole background - the relationship of overweight women to society - was so true!

Another thing I enjoyed was the relationship between the amateur detectives and the police. The primary police officer on the case was sm
Linda
May 10, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I read two of the later books in this series I've been eager to find earlier titles. This is book #1. In it we meet Odelia Grey, a 40 something single paralegal who is a plus-sized sassy woman. In this first story Odelia gets involved in the whys of the suicide of her good friend, Sophie London, a large beautiful woman who is the advocate for overweight women everywhere. But something doesn't seem right that confident Sophie would kill herself, even though she did so on camera in fron ...more
Shawn Elisabeth
I enjoyed this murder mystery. Odelia Grey is a great character. I loved that she is plus sized. I felt that Sue Ann Jaffarian had the insecurities of a plus size woman down pat. Even though I figured out who down it halfway into the book; I still was not sure until the end. There are alot of suspects that I was left wondering to the end. I loved this positive role model for women of any size and of any age. I have the next book in this series on order at the libray and I can't wait to get.
Jan
Sep 02, 2014 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting start to a series. I just saw it at the library and decided to try it on a whim.

Odelia Grey is a large lady, a paralegal whose best friend has just committed suicide. Odelia doesn't think he friends would have done that and so starts digging into her friend's background. She uncovers a large can of worms - adult websites, sleezy businesses and practices, prostitution - and finally sorts out what happened.

The characters were very good, and there was quite a bit of humor
Diane
Sep 12, 2007 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was at a BBW Bash, and happened to meet the author. In fact, after I bought a copy of her book and had her sign it for me, I won another during a lecture she was giving. Luckily for me, the copy that was later stolen was NOT the signed one!

I haven't gotten to read her other books yet, but they are on my list of books to get soon!

–--------------------------------------

Since I wrote this review in 2007, I've read each "Odelia" and "Granny Apples" books as they came out. I still love them, and wi
Jan 17, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Was I surprised by this book! This is the first of a series of 4 by author-Sue Ann Jaffarian and boy was I on end trying to discover "who dun it", in fact I even tried reading the end of the book and the answer wasn't at the end but mixed-up or mixed with the "near end?"
Anyhow...I was impressed!
Maria
Sep 18, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paralysis-sci
A really good read. I liked the main and secondary characters - many seem the kind of people you usually meet -, the humour, the focus on a variety of feelings and emotions that surpasses the romantic couple.
The heroine and the hero, both physically not according to the canon, are witty and heartwarming and very interesting from the human point of view.
Sue Ross
Apr 28, 2012 Sue Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good I had to read the second one....Bet you can't read just one.
Rachel
Jun 26, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this mystery series. Odelia makes me giggle :)
Rosana Adler
Tres estrellas.

De 0 a 10: 6,5

Protagonista y circunstancias poco convencionales, ligero toque de humor, misterio bien llevado, quizá el final es demasiado convencional, con algunas cosas previsibles, sobre todo al llegar a cierto punto, aunque la autora intenta desviar la atención hacia un personaje concreto.

El romance entre Odile y uno de los hombres de la novela (todos guapos, qué suerte) tiene detalles poco habituales, tanto como que la protagonista sea una mujer gorda de 45 años.

La escena fin
Cathy Cole
Feb 04, 2013 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Line: My weekend was D.O.A. ... dead on arrival.

Odelia Grey is a middle-aged, never married, plus-sized paralegal who has a boss from hell and a family that-- if she had the choice between being beaten up or going to visit her relatives, she just might choose the beating. She's a much-valued employee, and she makes no excuses for her weight, her age, or her lack of husband and children. But she could stand up for herself a little more. In order to do that, she's always looked to her friend
Heather
Feb 01, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis (from BN.com):

Too big to miss–that’s Odelia Grey. A never-married, middle-aged, plus-sized woman who makes no excuses for her weight, she’s not super woman just a mere mortal standing on the precipice of menopause, trying to cruise in an ill-fitting bra. She struggles with her relationships, her crazy family, and her crazier boss. And then there”s her knack for being in close proximity to dead people . . . .

When her close friend Sophie London commits suicide in front of an online web-ca
Weezie
Mar 01, 2016 Weezie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2016, cozy
I would actually probably give this a 2.5 rating if goodreads allowed, but I'll stick with 2 stars since 3 seems a tad generous.

I heard about this book from another cozy fan who had said Too Big To Miss was well worth the read. While it was entertaining, and there were aspects I liked, I finished the book with a pretty sketchy feeling. And that main feeling was: How do you end up in a relationship with someone who used to watch your best friend's sex cam? Who had a membership and regularly enjo
Bridget
Apr 20, 2013 Bridget rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
This series is new to me, but after reading two pretty intense books, I was ready for something else! Odelia Gray is a paralegal in southern California, who is also a member of a local group that works to end discrimination against heavy/overweight people. She has a life she enjoys, friends, and a job that she likes, in spite of the fact that it turns out that her boss is retiring, and one of the attorneys she doesn't like is going to be her new boss.

Odelia's world is rocked when her friend Soph
Marie
Aug 07, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Odelia Grey, I think I love you. No, really, I do.

"Too Big To Miss" by Sue Ann Jaffarian is wonderful. The story introduces us to Odelia Grey, an overweight, middle-aged paralegal who makes you laugh with her sharp tongue, and her infectious humor. She pokes fun at her weight in a way that I'd be willing to bet most women can relate. When she finds out her very confident, beautiful, and overweight friend, Sophie, commits suicide online via webcam, she finds it nearly impossible to believe.

One of
Lucy
Jun 14, 2015 Lucy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
First and only book I will read in this series. This book seems like a senior writing project, not a book truly ready for publication. The author writes about mundane aspects of life in baffling detail (like what everyone orders at a meal plus how and when they eat it), but then skips past important scenes and gives us only a broad summary as the narrator recollects what happened during the next chapter. Many of the chapters end abruptly, as if she was unsure how to move on. The author is in lov ...more
Lori S.
3 1/2 stars

Odelia Grey is not your skinny, mid-life aged (possibly divorced or some similar crisis) lady with two and a half kids, a dog and a mortgage to juggle, but someone with whom I actually can relate to a point, including size (she's a large/overweight person), her type of job is somewhat similar to mine and she has a cat. Her family, however, leaves a lot to be desired and I hope one of these days she gets the steel in her back to tell her step-mother off. She's also one of those who doe
Wendy
Jul 21, 2008 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too big or not, for me, this was a miss.

Plus-size Ophelia Grey learns that her friend committed suicide live on the web with tons of witnesses. Ophelia then finds out that her friend led quite the double life - championning the rights of the overweight by day and running a live sex website by night. Despite the apparent open and shut aspect of the suicide, Ophelia doesn't buy it. As she investigates her friend's increasingly complicated double life, she finds that her hunch is on target and she
Vickie
Nov 28, 2011 Vickie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!! I had no idea what kind of book I was going to read when I started this humdingah!

Best of all, I loved Odelia's moxie, once she found it. Bless her, she's a big girl like me, plenty to love, but has to work on her 'go get 'em 'tude. Thankfully, she has her plus size bud, Sophie. Sophie has helped many other zaftig women in the area with her support group and morning walking group. Sophie is larger than life in more than dress size. So when she commits suicide, Odelia kn
Rajan
Very ironic and funny:

"From the first time Adam noticed shrinkage and explained it to Eve, men have been trying to tell women that size didn't matter when it came to their manhood. Small penis. Big penis. Made no difference. Both were good. The same men have been telling women that size does matter when it comes to breasts, butts and hips. To add to the confusion, big and small could also be good and bad at the same time. Big smile good. Big ass bad. Small waist good. Small tits bad.
     It was
Susan
Jan 01, 2008 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've read a few of the Odelia Grey books now. I started late in the series when Rhythm and Clues was on the New shelf at the library. Then I went back to the beginning. I do like Odelia who is a sassy, smart, compassionate, and observant woman who happens to be overweight and also happens to keep running into dead bodies.

Easy to read with some interesting plot twists. Also includes some weird and wacky characters. Of course Odelia always solves the mystery.

My only real complaint is that I get
Mystereity Reviews
A great start to this series, can't wait to read more! Odelia doesn't believe it for a minute that her friend Sophie killed herself. There's only one thing this plus sized middle aged woman can do - investigate! It's easy to like Odelia, she smart, no-nonsense and anyone can relate to her. While investigating Sophie's death she encounters a little romance, a little danger and a little intrigue. All in all a very quick and entertaining read. Thankfully all the pet peeves I have were very minor in ...more
Versel Rush
Review of the audiobook:

First the "book" part. Generally confusing story line. Too much on "big is always beautiful". Big is NOT always beautiful. Skinny is NOT always beautiful. Nothing is always beautiful. Most of the beginning of the book did not tie to the end and the "whodunnit". All in all-meh.

Next the "audio" part. Horrid reader. Not enough vocal differentiation (which may have added to the "confusing story line"). Little emoting. Worst I have heard in a long time.

I'm giving the 3 stars t
  • Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #1)
  • May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1)
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • For Better, for Murder
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery #1)
  • A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #1)
  • Organize Your Corpses (A Charlotte Adams Mystery, #1)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #1)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
Sue Ann Jaffarian is the author of the popular Odelia Grey mystery series, the Ghost of Granny Apples mystery series and the Madison Rose vampire mysteries, as well as short stories.

Sue Ann also writes the Winnie Wilde romance novellas.

Like the character Odelia Grey, Sue Ann Jaffarian is a middle-aged, plus-sized paralegal. She lives in Los Angeles.

In addition to writing, Sue Ann is sought after a
More about Sue Ann Jaffarian...

An Odelia Grey Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Thugs and Kisses (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #3)
  • Booby Trap (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #4)
  • Corpse on the Cob (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #5)
  • Twice As Dead (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #6)
  • Hide & Snoop (An Odelia Grey  mystery, #7)
  • Secondhand Stiff (An Odelia Grey Mystery #8)
  • Hell on Wheels (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #9)
  • A Body to Spare (Odelia Gray Mystery, #10)
  • Rhythm & Clues (The Odelia Grey Mysteries)

“Usually when I’m stressed, I’ll eat everything not nailed down. Only small children and family pets are safe. And okra—I won’t eat okra under any circumstances.” 2 likes
“It had been a fix-up, a blind date set up by a well-meaning skinny coworker who had no clue that most men in Southern California placed overweight women in the same category as serial killers and believed them worthy of the same punishment - the death penalty. I finally had given in to her assurances that this man and I had a lot in common. Which, sadly, we did. But I saw the look of disappointment on his face when he entered the restaurant and realized that I was his date. I had seen that look before. It was unmistakable disgust encased in civility. Like a dead fish wrapped in clean white butcher paper, the covering kept your hands from being soiled but could not stop the stink.” 2 likes