Start by marking “Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used” as Want to Read:
Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used

Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,231 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
This "Third Edition" to Peter Block's "Flawless Consulting" addresses business changes and new challenges since the second edition was written ten years ago. It tackles the challenges next-generation consultants face, including more guidance on how to ask better questions, dealing with difficult clients, working in an increasingly virtual world, how to cope with complexiti ...more
Published January 31st 2011 by Pfeiffer (first published January 14th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Flawless Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flawless Consulting

Pamela
Jun 22, 2013 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far so good, and I think this book is written for professionals who already have competencies for working with people in consulting. I also think if you want to read this book keep in mind this book has a companion book too! The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook & Companion A Guide To Understanding Your Expertise. Peter Block, who has focused attention on consulting skills, empowerment processes, and reclaiming our individuality.

As these books will guide a professional to know all the stages
Greg
Aug 31, 2014 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Since Goodreads lost my old review while trying to upload it, I'll give you this. I think Block focuses a lot more on being blameless as a consultant than on being effective. I agree in principle with lots of what he says, but the overarching idea was the downfall of this book in my eyes. I can't stand the kind of advice that admonishes well-paid experts to constantly deny their responsibility for the outcomes of projects and to distribute the blame for their projects by coercing everyone in the ...more
Jan
Jan 28, 2016 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tremendous foundation of experience, but oddly longwinded and rather boring to read cover to cover. Probably much better to have listened to a lecture series by the author. True value probably first to appear when used as point of reference
Amanda
Mar 07, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in consulting class. This is a great resource for not only consultants but also basically anyone who works with other people, as this book discusses the soft skills required to build successful working relationships. A great deal of focus is placed on the relationship between consultant and client, from the contracting stage all the way to implementation.

Peter Block discusses different types of roles that consultants may take, such as that of an expert, an extra pair of hands,
Don Massenzio
Jan 26, 2015 Don Massenzio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A number of years ago, I found myself without a job for the first time in my adult life. At 40, this was scary until I woke up one morning, created a subchapter-S corporation and became a consultant. This book, along with others by Peter Block, was a significant help in getting started and having the confidence to persevere for two years independently. Now I'm a consultant in a big four firm and the things I learned from this book still ring true.
Ankur Gupta
Jul 21, 2014 Ankur Gupta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides valuable and *comprehensive* insights into the various phases of consulting. The author says that Flawless consulting essentially boils down to 1) Being authentic and 2)Completing every stage of the engagement with diligence. The level of detail into every aspect of a consultant's role - what consultants typically do and what they ought to do is very helpful. It sometimes borders on presenting a Utopic picture of the same, but it is good to establish a picture of an "ideal sta ...more
Roger K.
Jun 08, 2014 Roger K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flawless Consulting is a valuable read for not only consultants, but anyone who has to influence authority in their organization (hint: that's pretty much everybody in ITSM and/or BPM).

Block identifies three goals for every consulting engagement
- Establish a collaborative relationship to maximize the use of resources and model how to effectively solve problems
- Solve problems so they stay solved by building the ability of the client to address root causes
- Ensure attention is given to both the p
Will Mosher
If you're already an experienced consultant I'm not sure how useful it would be, but it is a great overview/introduction to the field (and free of "execuspeak").
Eryc
Jan 07, 2015 Eryc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be clear, this is a review of the audiobook version, which is pretty different from the pulpy one that sits on my bookshelf. Now -- this book should be required reading for anyone who is in a position of influencing without authority. This applies not just to consultants, but also to people struggling to have their expertise used inside organizations. Block's no-nonsense approach is refreshing, pragmatic, and inspirational. Favorite quote: "The meat of the consultation is dealing with resista ...more
Bart Breen
May 24, 2012 Bart Breen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic Human Relations

As a contractor/consultant on my second long-term assignment, this title caught my eye and served for listening on the commute.

Overall I was impressed. Much of what is presented is common sense and deals with the simple themes of professional and personal integtity.

To put it simply, it focuses upon those things you can control as a consultant and provides a basis upon which to minimize the things you cannot control.

Success can only ultimately be measured by the things you co
Brian
Peter Block’s “Flawless Consulting Second Edition” is an outstanding book and I recommend it for anybody who is ever asked for advice. Consulting skills are not limited to people with a consultant title but anybody who helps others but has no authority over the outcome of their advice. Leaders, project managers, church elders, event planners, and many others will find benefit in this book.

I bought this book because I am an internal consultant. I had a coach challenge me to define my role as a co
Scott
Jan 20, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, audio
A general consulting book. This book has sections about industries such as management, technology, health care, and education. Because numerous industries are covered, the methods are more generalized than may be wanted for specific scenarios. For example, technology consulting requires some fairly fine tuned methodologies that stem from computer science disciplines and technological implementations. With that being said, learning how consulting in different disciplines and industries compare is ...more
Shyamashree Rudra
Apr 15, 2011 Shyamashree Rudra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I really liked Peter Block's "Flawless Consulting". This book was originally written in 1978, and then revised in 1998. I expected the book to be dated and irrelevant, but it wasn't. The concepts that Block wrote about many years ago are still very much applicable today.
Having been a consultant for 6 years, I especially liked this book because it focuses on the style of consulting I like (or rather liked!) to do -- improving the capability of the client to find and implemen
Paul Signorelli
Apr 21, 2011 Paul Signorelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consulting
Peter Block, in "Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used," eloquently explores the roles that internal and external consultants both play: “The core transaction of any consulting contract is the transfer of expertise from the consultant to the client.”

“Most people in staff roles in organizations are really consultants, even if they don’t officially call themselves ‘consultants,’” Block maintains. “Staff people function in any organization by planning, recommending, assisting
Steve Shu
Aug 06, 2015 Steve Shu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I especially recommend this book for those coming from engineering or science backgrounds as individual contributors. The book also has a very good treatment of being part of an internal consulting group within a company.

This book is one of four books I recommend as core to the practice of consulting. More details here: http://steveshuconsulting.com/2015/07...
Dio Aufa Handoyo
Jun 08, 2015 Dio Aufa Handoyo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing break from the usual pure analysis perspectives that consulting-related books usually offer. While the idea itself is not evolutionary (it's basically lumped under "maintaining good client relationships"), the detailed roadmap presented in the book clearly defines what and how to bring true value in engagements.
Alex Devero
Jun 21, 2015 Alex Devero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Consulting is about objectively analyzing a business and implementing lasting change. In the best cases, the consultant teaches a client to solve future problems independently through a deeper understanding of the company’s work and managerial roles.
Steve Goodyear
Jan 12, 2015 Steve Goodyear rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Contrary to popular belief, consulting is the world's oldest profession. The first consultant was the Serpent in the Garden of Eden." — Peter Block
This book covers the basics of consulting pretty well and has some practical tips. I found it a bit winded in parts, but overall not a bad read.
Bob Wallner
Dec 09, 2013 Bob Wallner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Consultants
I listened to the 9+ hour unabridged Audible version of Flawless Consulting.

This book content-wise is everything I expected. Content of this book is fantastic. The online resources are excellent. Stories and experience excellent. Gave me a lot to think about as I start trying to develop my consulting business.

I read the reviews on Audible about the narrator being very difficult to listen to - unfortunately the reviews were accurate. I cannot describe what was so bad other than he over-enunciat
Alex
May 20, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read this for my consulting class. Block is particularly brilliant in managing the consultation meeting. His idea of the "collaborative consultant," as well as his framing of consultants as making an impact without control, are invaluable. We supplemented his "feedback meeting" by making it even more collaborative by asking the client at every turn if he is getting what he/she wants, rather than only asking at the 50% mark. This method ensures that both client and consultant realize that chan ...more
Phil Ouellette
Jun 16, 2014 Phil Ouellette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great framework for anyone wanting to alter their understanding of their role in an organization.
Lckeller
May 28, 2014 Lckeller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first audio book. Thanks for the recommendation of Audible, JSB!
Kim-Ann
Aug 11, 2015 Kim-Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight on how to approach consultancy. Great read.
koen de waele
Nov 12, 2014 koen de waele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must read for all process consultants...
Kara
Apr 25, 2013 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of great ideas and strategies to help any business professional who works in a partnership role. If you need to convince people to do things the way you want, but have no control over that actually happening, this is a must read. Some of it seems like common sense, but it's articulated in a way that makes you think about things in a new light. It's written textbook style, so don't expect a particularly riviting read, but the material makes the time worthwhile.
Ravi Warrier
Jan 15, 2016 Ravi Warrier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Peter Block has managed to capture elements of consulting flawlessly in this book. I found this book much better than most books on consulting/advising function/industries. Compared to "The Trusted Advisor", I found this book to be more concise in its thoughts and what it wished to convey to its readers.

This is a 'must read' for any consultant in the field, and even more strongly recommended for those who usually tend to follow a 'expert' mode of consulting.
Ronnie Murrill
Mar 18, 2014 Ronnie Murrill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for aspiring consultants that covers the basics of working effectively.
Joseph
Jun 24, 2011 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading the 1982 version and as a non-consultant, I really liked the way this book lays out the logic for approaching just about any situation. The emphasis is on the process for communication and how to use that communication to achieve the results you are looking for. These are skills that serve anyone in just about any situation. I found the concepts practical, engaging and useful.
Kate
Dec 25, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may look like any other business book on the outside, but Block goes above and beyond by covering the social and emotional aspects of working as a change agent who doesn't have direct control over implemention. His message will ring true for business consultants, non-profit sector folks, advocates, counselors and clergy.

If that sounds you, go read this book TODAY.
Phase one: 1 1 Oct 11, 2015 08:58AM
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • More Secrets of Consulting: The Consultant's Tool Kit
  • The Trusted Advisor
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Process Consultation Revisited: Building the Helping Relationship (Prentice Hall Organizational Development Series)
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Skilled Facilitator
  • A Simpler Way
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • Your Next Move: The Leader's Guide to Navigating Major Career Transitions
  • Maslow on Management

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“each technique carries a consistent message more important than any method: that each act that expresses trust in ourselves and belief in the validity of our own experience is always the right path to follow. Each act that is manipulative or filled with pretense is always self-destructive.” 2 likes
“If you don’t believe this, think what would happen if a teacher gave all A’s. The teacher would have a problem.” 0 likes