Start by marking “Batman: Tales of the Demon” as Want to Read:
Batman: Tales of the Demon

Batman: Tales of the Demon (Ra's al Ghul Saga 0)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Ra's al Ghul, longlived ecoterrorist and founder of the League of Assassins, has proven through the years to be one of Batman's most formidable adversaries. Accompanied by his beautiful daughter Talia, Ra's has proven elusive, tempting and very, very dangerous.

This volume collects the earliest Ra's a Ghul stories, all written by long time BATMAN author and editor Denny O'N

Published February 23rd 1991 by DC Comics (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Batman by Frank MillerBatman by Alan MooreBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
78th out of 304 books — 467 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
435th out of 738 books — 1,185 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam
May 31, 2012 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I really love Batman stories from the '70s. I started reading the comics at some point in the '80s, but the issues from the late '70s are probably the first Batman comics I ever saw when I was a pre-literate little kid in the supermarket who was fascinated by the covers.

Unlike what a lot of people think, Batman was not the sunny, goofy do-gooder of the '60s TV show until Frank Miller came along and shook things up with The Dark Knight Returns in 1986. I've read random Batman stories from every d...more
Hamish
I've never been that crazy about Denny O'Neil. Honestly, I think most of his reputation rests on the fact that his work came out at a pretty dire time for Batman comics and must have been a breath of fresh air by comparison, and that he got paired with one of the all-time greats on pencils. His stories are nice in theory: they're street-level and gritty (in contrast to silver age Batman), they take place in exotic locales and they have mystery and thrills, but they fall apart on even the slighte...more
Justyn Rampa
This is a collection of the earliest Ra's Al Ghul stories written by Dennis O'Neil. Ra's has never been my favorite villain and I find the father/daughter relationship between him and Talia to be disturbing. This compilation did nothing to change my mind. Also, I don't understand the relationship between Talia and Batman. I don't think that they are right for each other. In my mind, Batman only belongs with Catwoman and even then...never more than a nighttime dalliance that builds to a kiss. Tal...more
Adam Graham
This out of print trade tells the story of some of the Bat-man's earliest meetings with Ra's al Ghul. It wouldn't be fair to say they were battles because half the time, Batman is on Ra's side or at least they didn't fight.

Tale of the Demon makes you appreciate the features of many modern day trades. There are no issue numbers and no covers. If you just go by what's in the book, all you know about the stories is that they happened some time in the 1970s.

The big surprise is that Talia al Ghul, R...more
Trent
Okay, I'll admit straight off... I cannot stand Ra's Al Ghul as a character, nor his storylines. However, I'm going through all the Batman trades my library has, so I read this. It was interesting to read Batman stories from the 1970s. It hadn't gotten nearly as dark as it would by the late 1980s, but it wasn't as silly as the 1950s and 60s comics either. Sadly though, from the start Ra's Al Ghul was a boring villain. Though as shown here, he started as a sort of anti-hero. The stories are still...more
Ryan K Alford
The Batcave. Enter the world’s greatest detective, the dreaded and dark avenger of the night—the Batman. He walks ominously through the gaping cavern of his previous base of operations, fueled with heavy and deliberate purpose. His longtime ward, Dick Grayson, has been missing for the past two days, no sign of his whereabouts known until a mysterious message is delivered to Bruce Wayne’s penthouse taunting him about his esteemed ward’s abduction. Set upon further analyzing the cryptic and sinist...more
Jdetrick
I'm a huge fan of Ra's al Ghul, one of my favorite Bat villains. He, along with his daughter Talia, are showcased in this volume, and we even see appearances from the original Batwoman and the Bronze Tiger. Ra's and his daughter are pretty amazing in most of these stories but sadly time has not been as kind to the stories themselves. The dialogue is sometimes painful, especially when Batman uses "hip" words and phrases, and the plotting can be problematic. The longest storyline in the book, wher...more
Matt Thomas
But for the whole "fountain of youth" crap, I usually like story lines with Ra's Al Ghul and this is a whole book of them (11). Unfortunately they range from 1971 to 1980 and this is a little old in my opinion for Batman stories. It's a little painful reading the over the top lines and the overall lack of subtlety in Batman's actions. Good to get the history but it was a little difficult to get through.
Tyler
I did not hate this, but this Ra's al Ghul had a lot less menace than he does later, and I agree with other reviewers who assert that Batman's relationship with Talia is somewhat contrived. The current storyline (as far as I am in it...) seems to have made up for that with an excellent, compelling plot. Overall, I think that these do little more than to give background, which I appreciate, but do not love.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
La colaboración artística que intentaron en los '70 el guionista Denny O'Neil junto al dibujante Neal Adams logra cuotas memorables en su renovación del Hombre-Murciélago, reinventado en un realismo detectivesco con toques a la Bond y un adversario que alcanza un rápido estatus de clásico. Historias afectadas por su época y maravillosas de leer en ese contexto.
eva
i picked this up because i'd never read any of ra's al ghul's early stories, and i'd recently re-watched batman begins, which reminded me how much i like him as a villain. these are all quite good comics...for the 1970s. unfortunately they just solidified my opinion that i really don't enjoy most pre-1990s superhero comics except for their historical interest.
Mike
Ra's is one of the most favorite Villan I can think of. Because he employs Batmans' help, and even at times what Batman does helps Ra's. Ra's reminds me of Mumm-Ra From ThunderCats. Mumm-Ra, just goes back to the coffin after he loses only to come back. And Ra's goes into the Lazarus pits just to come back. Still this is always a good read!
Ritinha
As issues dos early 70's são datadas e sintomáticas de uma certa ingenuidade de época.

Já a belíssima graphic novel [Mike W. Barr e Jerry Bingham] na linha temática da Guerra Fria com pitada de enredo JamesBondiano , é um mimo e puxa a classificação global da compilação.
Angela
Interesting book. It contains the first appearances of Talia, Ras Al Ghul, and Matches Malone. It's worth noting how quickly Batman and Talia fall in love, I'd always thought there was more too it. This is a good read for those interested in the beginnings of these characters.
Andrés
Since it's a collection of older style monthlies, what I got was a series of really short almost stories that could have been more interesting if fleshed out but ultimately wound up feeling merely like an outline of a story.
Andy
While it is quite dated, it's very interesting to have all of Ra's al Ghul's original and significant appearances all in one volume.
Several of these stories also were later used for episodes in the Batman Animated Series.
Matt Piechocinski
The dialogue is totally dates, but hell ... I've always thought Ra's was one Batman's best rogues, and no one can ever fault Neil Adams' art. I think it's totally worth checking out.
Lana
A collection centering on Ra's al Ghul and Talia. Jumps around from 1971 to 1980 basically covering all the Denny O'Neil story lines where Batman clashes with Ra's.
Craig
I like the international feel this brings to the Batman mythos, but the Ras al Ghul story is one that feels rehashed every time a new one is told.
Jorge A.
It was fun just to read a Batman graphic novel! I don't think Batman could keep up with the pace and technology we have today though! :-)
Kyle Mclaughlin
Really good grouping of stories that chronicle the beginning of Batman's long fight with Ra's al Ghul.
Michael
The Batman writing from this era is so much stronger than other DC runs, this is pretty good stuff.
Steve Sanderson
I read this to get background on Ra's al Ghul. Not a bad read, but unmemorable.
Mark Stratton
Great collection of classic stories from my personal Golden Age of comics.
Kurt Vosper
Collection of Ra's Al Ghul stories, one of my favourite Batman foes.
Gabriel
O' Neil's a pretty shitty writer. There, I said it.
Mike Fra
My rating: 8
Chris
Worth reading.
Emilio
Emilio marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
  • Arkham Asylum: Living Hell
  • Batman: The Cult
  • Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive, Vol. 1
  • Batman: War Crimes
  • Batman: Black and White (Batman: Black and White #1)
Dennis O'Neil is a comic book writer and editor best known for his work on Batman, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, and The Question.

He also wrote a novel with Jim Berry under the pen name "Jim Dennis".
More about Dennis O'Neil...
Batman: Knightfall Batman: Venom The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 1 Batman Begins The Dark Knight