Batman: Gotham County Line

Batman: Gotham County Line (Batman)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  24 reviews
BATMAN: GOTHAM COUNTY LINE TP Written by Steve Niles Art and cover by Scott Hampton Horror master Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) joins painter Scott Hampton (BATMAN: NIGHT CRIES) for a Batman tale that uncovers the secrets of grisly murders outside Batman's usual territory...in the Gotham suburbs! This volume collects the acclaimed 3-issue miniseries. Advance-solicited; on...more
Published October 18th 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

StoryTellerShannon

This tale focuses on Batman denying the existence of an afterlife and then being strung along by a necromancer into a horrific world in which the living dead are everywhere. All the while he has an undead superhero trying to help him but the main battle is in the mind of Batman.

There were some interesting focuses but on the whole I thought it was only somewhat good.

ARTWORK: B; ACTION: B minus to B; CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: B minus; STORY/PLOTTING: B; WHEN READ: early to mid April 2012 (revised...more
William Thomas
If it weren't for Steve Niles uncharacteristic representation of Batman, it would have been a perfect book. However, Niles writes a Batman that seems foreign, so far removed from the one that we know, that it makes it hard to take the book seriously. And it is a shame because Scott Hampton is an absolutely brilliant artist, and his work is practically ruined by the story. When we have a Batman saying things like "step up and fight like a man", I'm thinking we have a juvenile version of Bruce, on...more
Justinthunderliger
was curious as to how Steve Niles of 30 Days of Night fame was going to tackle Batman. You know it had to have a supernatural element to that, but how do you do that with the urban Batman character. Easy-- loan him out to the county sheriff's department to solve some murders in the sticks. This book has one hell of a start to it and Niles can write a story that can actually make Batman using a jetpack not seem hokey. However, the build-up is twenty times better than the pay-off to this story ab...more
Trebro
I don't remember this one at the comic store at all, so I was coming to it blind. Niles, the man behind 30 Days of Night, opts for the psychological Batman, which is a treat if done right. Batman's got a lot of mental trouble to work out, and a good writer can tease that into something good.

So...what's the verdict on Niles?

This time around, Batman gets asked to help out in the suburbs. Once there, he faces off against a new foe who seems to be expecting him. There's a typical ending...but that's...more
Fraser Sherman
Batman battles an occultist crossing across the boundary of life and death in one of the less impressive Batman vs. supernatural stories I've come across. And why assert Batman doesn't believe in an afterlife when as Deadman's appearance shows, Bats has plenty of experience with it?
Issam
I like zombies. I like Batman. So naturally combining them both should be a chance to setup a good story, right? Even if it's just action, you don't expect it to be boring. Yet this is what happens here, and none of it works well at all.

Batman himself seems out of character, and the entire issue feels campy as he trots around in the suburbs naturally with the police, not to mention the fact that he's constantly flying around casually in a jetpack like Superman.

The ending has also been overdone i...more
John Henery
Steve Niles doing a Batman story! A must read for horror fans
Sean
Feb 24, 2013 Sean rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: DC Comics fans!
Steve Niles and artist Scott Hampton create an eerie tale of death and beyond. I wasn't sure this book could work well, taking Batman out of Gotham, but it succeeded pretty well. The art was perfectly suited for this type of book. I also enjoyed one of the surprise guest stars. The other guest star served no purpose. My main problem was that Batman's reaction to what was happening was pretty fast and drastic especially for someone who has seen so many crazy things like Batman has. It just didn't...more
Gavin
A different Batman, more of a occult/death case than the usual fare. Set in Gotham County, ritualistic murders are taking place, and Gordon asks Batman to investigate. The book made some bad decisions, like Batman using a Jetpack, and getting surprised by the criminal fairly easily. Once it got into the actual storyline it was a bit more interesting, and featured guest spots with Deadman and the Phantom Stranger. Non-essential unless you like the odder fringes of the Batman world, and cases that...more
Allie
Apr 24, 2012 Allie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Diehard Batman readers
Shelves: batman
The best panel in this entire book is Alfred (view spoiler).

Other than that, the story has the potential to be wonderfully creepy and dark, really delving into Batman's psyche - but doesn't. Instead we get a confusing story, an out-of-character Batman, and a slippers-wearing Gordan.

I'd recommend this book only to diehard Batman fans - new readers will find it too confusing.
Ryan Mishap
Hey, looks like a Batman versus Zombies story, sweet. Starts out like a standard serial killer story.

Neither of these things is altogether true.

An intriguing story about more than just what is on the surface. Just who is Batman and what does he stand for? The dead want to know.

I would rate this higher, but the art wasn't as impressive as the story requires.
Matt Mazenauer
I like the idea of Batman out of his element, in the suburbs, going after an "ordinary" serial killer. But this isn't Batman. this is some schmuck with a friggin jetpack who gets duped easily left and right. All in all, I'm still interested in where the story is going, I just wish it had been written with a real Batman.
Michelle Cristiani
Great artwork - really good panels to pore over again and again. Neat plot line about Batman confronting emotional openness (obviously not his strong point). Steve Niles walks a nice line, allowing Batman to show some softness without being wimpy. Also, it's kind-of scary. Well-done all around.
Frank
Stand alone Batman story by "30 Days of Night" author Niles. As with all Bat tales, we go into his psyche and play around with his demons. But the writing was good and effective use of some supporting characters. Plus, the Bat Jetpack.
Zak
CREEPY Batman story. Incredibly engaging from the first page. And the first time I'd ever read a Batman story that dealt directly with themes of the supernatural.
Steve
Really enjoyable and well done horror story, not so much for the plot - which is a bit confused - but for the pacing and build of horror.
Terry
The Dark Knight Detective buzzes around Gotham's suburbs in his jetpack boldly and bravely punching evil.
Jason Kurtz
Steve Niles, Batman, Zombies, Deadman, what's not to love?
T.M. Carper
Strange. Sorta of in the mind, sorta in a parallel world.
Earline
Jul 15, 2008 Earline rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Steve Niles fans
Shelves: comics, horror
Batman. Zombies. Steve Niles. what more could you ask for?
Cody
Jul 11, 2011 Cody rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This was just so cool and creepy.
Kevin Connery
GN combines 3 comics
Benjamin
classical steve niles
Chris
Worth reading.
Ashley Marie
Ashley Marie marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
  • Batman: Prey
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 9: Night and Day
  • Batman: Private Casebook
  • Batman: Ego and Other Tails
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing...more
More about Steve Niles...
30 Days of Night, Vol. 1 30 Days of Night, Vol. 3: Return to Barrow 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days I Am Legend Rumors of the Undead (30 Days of Night)