Start by marking “Fiction: A Pocket Anthology (Penguin Academics Series)” as Want to Read:
Fiction: A Pocket Anthology (Penguin Academics Series)

Fiction: A Pocket Anthology (Penguin Academics Series)

A perfect alternative to massive fiction anthologies, this brief, affordable collection of 44 short stories from the past three centuries provides a concise yet comprehensive introduction to the study of fiction. Chronologically organized, the anthology includes classic tales from 19th century authors like Hawthorne, Poe, Jewett, and de Maupassant; 20th century gems by Haw ...more
Paperback, Seventh Edition, 480 pages
Published January 22nd 2011 by Longman (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiction

TK Wong
Jun 11, 2017 TK Wong marked it as reading-ramdomly  ·  review of another edition
Happy Endings This is the best guide ever on how to write a good story! I didn't notice the story A is that shockingly short and it is a real surprise. I love story B for its direct style and language. The whole structure is amazing and groundbreaking, and it's true that A or B or C or so on could be different stories under different names. It's really fun to create (for me it is to read) the stretch in between the beginning and the end like Atwood herself described in the last paragraph. It is ...more
Kitty
Feb 14, 2012 Kitty rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of (mostly) American short stories. I sort of assumed that I would've read most of the stories in this collection, but apart from a few real standards, a lot of these were new to me. This book will lead me to lots of new authors, and I hope I enjoy the rest of their work as much as this collection. The only complaint I have is that the last couple of stories were really riddled with typos, but the rest didn't have that problem.
Marck Bailey
Read for a class on reading and writing fiction, this is your basic collection of short stories, most well-known, spanning a period from the late 19th through the late 20th centuries. Particular favorites in this collection include the stories by William Faulkner, Andre Dubus, Joyce Carol Oates, and Flannery O'Connor.
Feb 25, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014challenge
i really liked it. i thought it was comprehensive & yet succinct. there wasn't too much elaboration on technique, but for every short story in this collection, there is a neat author's background, which helped me understand a lot better how the respective short stories were written. i honestly felt inspired by some of them (:
Kate
Jul 30, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a distinctive narrative voice
As always, I am amazed at the talent of writers like Alice Munro, Flannery O'Conner, Eudora Welty and the whole gang. It's all here. What a wonderful book for a short sit down to take your mind off the world. A great collection of short stories.
Joe Mossa

famous short stories,some good,some bad,some funny,some sad,some average.
eliza
Again, this is the anthology I'm teaching from for next semester's Art of Fiction class at UMass-Boston.
Katherine
Jan 25, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine collection containing many old favourites and one or two surprises.
Amy Kitchell-Leighty
Most of these stories I have read before. It was nice to go back and read them again. I'm teaching from this book for a Comp II class this fall.
Oriana
Fiction- a Pocket Anthology (Canadian Edition) (2004)
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2017
Mohammad Motlaq
Mohammad Motlaq rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Bicky Hoang
Bicky Hoang rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Briana Stanley
Briana Stanley rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2015
Francis Ethelbert
Francis Ethelbert rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
May 28, 2009
Randy Mcbride
Randy Mcbride rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2017
Brandon Guest
Brandon Guest rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2008
Miranda Knight
Miranda Knight rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
Tawny
Tawny rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Britomarte Van Horn
Britomarte Van Horn rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2012
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2017
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2012
T.L. Davis
T.L. Davis rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2010
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2012
Veronica Marie Lewis-Shaw
Veronica Marie Lewis-Shaw rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
R.S. Gwynn, known as a "new formalist" poet, received a BA from Davidson College, where he twice won the Vereen Bell Award for Creative Writing, and he earned both an MA and an MFA from the University of Arkansas, where he won the John Gould Fletcher Award for Poetry. Gwynn has also won the Michael Braude Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.

He is the author of several collections o
More about R.S. Gwynn...