Start by marking “Fiction: A Pocket Anthology (Penguin Academics Series) (7th Edition)” as Want to Read:
Fiction: A Pocket Anthology (Penguin Academics Series) (7th Edition)

Fiction: A Pocket Anthology (Penguin Academics Series) (7th Edition)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A perfect alternative to massive fiction anthologies, this brief, affordable collection of 44 short stories from the past three centuries provides a concise yet comprehensive introduction to the study of fiction. Chronologically organized, the anthology includes classic tales from 19th century authors like Hawthorne, Poe, Jewett, and de Maupassant; 20th century gems by Haw ...more
Published January 22nd 2011 by Longman (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiction

i really liked it. i thought it was comprehensive & yet succinct. there wasn't too much elaboration on technique, but for every short story in this collection, there is a neat author's background, which helped me understand a lot better how the respective short stories were written. i honestly felt inspired by some of them (:
Katherine
A fine collection containing many old favourites and one or two surprises.
Kitty
This is a great collection of (mostly) American short stories. I sort of assumed that I would've read most of the stories in this collection, but apart from a few real standards, a lot of these were new to me. This book will lead me to lots of new authors, and I hope I enjoy the rest of their work as much as this collection. The only complaint I have is that the last couple of stories were really riddled with typos, but the rest didn't have that problem.
Marck Bailey
Read for a class on reading and writing fiction, this is your basic collection of short stories, most well-known, spanning a period from the late 19th through the late 20th centuries. Particular favorites in this collection include the stories by William Faulkner, Andre Dubus, Joyce Carol Oates, and Flannery O'Connor.
Kate
Feb 06, 2008 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a distinctive narrative voice
As always, I am amazed at the talent of writers like Alice Munro, Flannery O'Conner, Eudora Welty and the whole gang. It's all here. What a wonderful book for a short sit down to take your mind off the world. A great collection of short stories.
Amy Kitchell-Leighty
Most of these stories I have read before. It was nice to go back and read them again. I'm teaching from this book for a Comp II class this fall.
eliza
Again, this is the anthology I'm teaching from for next semester's Art of Fiction class at UMass-Boston.
Joe Mossa

famous short stories,some good,some bad,some funny,some sad,some average.
Molly
A selection of some very good short stories. I really enjoyed this.
Oriana
Fiction- a Pocket Anthology (Canadian Edition) (2004)
Anthony Nuccio
Great collection of short fiction.
Luke Sonnier
Luke Sonnier marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Xavi
Xavi marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Samantha Beverly
Samantha Beverly is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Fandi Liang
Fandi Liang marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Rex
Rex marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Jessy
Jessy is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
R.S. Gwynn, known as a "new formalist" poet, received a BA from Davidson College, where he twice won the Vereen Bell Award for Creative Writing, and he earned both an MA and an MFA from the University of Arkansas, where he won the John Gould Fletcher Award for Poetry. Gwynn has also won the Michael Braude Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.

He is the author of several collections o
More about R.S. Gwynn...
Poetry: A Pocket Anthology Contemporary American Poetry (Penguin Academics Series) Literature: A Pocket Anthology (Penguin Academics) No Word of Farewell: Selected Poems 1970-2000 Drama: A Pocket Anthology (Penguin Academics Series)