Start by marking “999 Tadpoles” as Want to Read:
999 Tadpoles

999 Tadpoles

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  390 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews

“We’ll have to move,” says Mother, after realizing the pond is too small. But moving a family of 999 young frogs is fraught with danger! Hungry snakes are crawling through the grass. Hungry hawks are flying through the sky.A young frog makes a mighty tasty morsel.

Never underestimate the quick wits of 999 young frogs!
Published May 1st 2011 by NorthSouth (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about 999 Tadpoles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 999 Tadpoles

Kendall Bayer
999 Tadpoles is a story about a mother and a father frog that give birth to 999 young tadpoles. When the tadpoles eventually grow into frogs their home in their small pond is no longer big enough to hold all of them and they are forced to leave to find another pond. They all line up to trek across the endless stretch of grass with the young tadpoles complaining the whole time. The father warns them that they must stay together to avoid dangers such as snakes. The tadpoles then notice a snake sit ...more
Ian Wood
Oct 09, 2014 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing

Linden
Feb 17, 2014 Linden rated it liked it
Shelves: lis-510, read-aloud
999 Tadpoles is a hilarious book written by Ken Kimura. The story starts with 999 tadpoles growing up in a pond. As they get older, they need a place to live that has more room for all of the big frog family. So they start to explore the world beyond the pond for a bigger one to live in. As they make their travels, the frog family runs into many creatures such as snakes and hawks. One hawk helps the frog family reach their destination of their new large pond home. This book is a great read aloud ...more
Jill
Jan 27, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
Both my boys LOVED this book..as did I. Recommended by a good resource. Makes you giggle and they love saying the "999!" part of the book. Who doesn't like tadpoles and frogs and their journey to find a home big enough for their family. Super cute.
Elizabeth Smith
Kimura, Ken. 999 Tadpoles. Illus. Yasunari Murakimi. New York: North-South Books Inc., 2003. Print. Fiction, frogs, migration. The book 999 Tadpoles tells the story about a young couple of frogs that have 999 tadpoles in a small pond. When the tadpoles become frogs the pond is much too small and they have to travel to find a bigger to live in. With adventures along the way the frogs eventually find a new home. I think both the author and the illustrator did a really good job at giving readers an ...more
Tim Johnson
Jun 10, 2016 Tim Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-time
I could barely handle two kids on a trip back in the days when I had some patience left over, but 99 of them? Can you imagine 99 kids on an extended car trip? "he's touching me, are we there yet, I have to go to the bathroom, she took my thing, etc." I would probably abandon them at a gas station in Arizona.

999 tadpoles start out small but soon take up the whole lake and need to move. Mom and Pop tadpole take them on a perilous journey. Don't worry though, a thousand little tadpoles can be a for
Alexandra
Jun 07, 2014 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
I loved this one and the storytime kids I shared it with did, too. A few opportunities to be really silly ("'Like this?' asked the 999 young frogs."/"'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!' said Father."), and emotive illustrations that were as enjoyable for me and for the caregivers in the room as they were for the kids.

It's on the longer side, so I followed it up with two shorter books. I think this is a great starter book for storytime, but letting the kids get up or sing or do some activity afterwards is a g
Tasha
Apr 22, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
999 tadpoles are born in a small pond but when they turn into frogs, they completely run out of room to even breathe! So mother and father frog decide they must find a new home to live in. All of the 999 tadpoles follow their father across a big field. He warns them about the dangers of snakes, just a moment before the little frogs come dragging a sleepy snake up to him. They escape that danger, but don’t notice the hawk circling above them. Down comes the hawk and grabs the father frog in his t ...more
Skye Kilaen
May 09, 2016 Skye Kilaen rated it it was amazing
When 999 tadpoles become little frogs and outgrow their pond, it’s time for Mom and Dad frog to find them somewhere new to live. Unfortunately the babies are excited, but very new to the world and its dangers. A long line of hopping frogs is also a tempting target for predators. When Dad frog gets grabbed by a hawk, the silliness escalates and I was laughing almost as much as my son. Cute book.
Fibersian
As the frog family moves they encounter many dangers in their journey. They overcome everything.

This book introduces the concept of large numbers. The illustration of all the tadpoles is a large group of small dots. Though young kids won't count them all they can see that large quantity is made up of a large group of objects.

There is also clear narrative structure.
Anne
Jun 06, 2016 Anne rated it it was amazing
Oh my! That was so, incredibly adorable! I noticed it in a bookstore in Quebec and practically fell into cute coma within seconds of seeing it under the title 999 Têtards. But I ended up ordering it in English for my frog-loving friend who just graduated from library school. Vivent les têtards!
Linda
Jul 16, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Heehee, this book is adorable. 999 tadpoles who grow into 999 frogs is a bit above the carrying capacity of their little pond. They need a new home. How they find it is a great little story from a wonderful Japanese writer. Cute illustrations, too!
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
Cute. I like the design with all the white space, and the look of the tadpoles and frogs is charming. In a short but thrilling adventure the whole family most find somewhere to live that's a bit bigger.

Library copy
Anna Ilona
Jun 04, 2016 Anna Ilona rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This could be fun for someone seeking tales about large families (the frogs in this story have 999 children). The illustrations are fairly abstract and didn't really engage my two-and-half-year-old.
Lisa Echols
Apr 29, 2015 Lisa Echols rated it really liked it
Adorable story about a large family of tadpoles who need to find a new home when they get too big for their pond. I adore the simple and charming illustrations by Yasunari Murakami!
Susan Wolfram
Sep 19, 2014 Susan Wolfram rated it it was amazing
Shelves: slis
Love this book. My 1st graders laughed and laughed. They also try out problem solving skills: How would you move 999 tadpoles who had gotten too large for their pond to a larger pond?
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I wish I'd read this before Christmas instead of after, as my 5-year-old great nephew loves frogs, and I'm sure he'd love this story. I'll have to get it for him for his birthday. It's a rather simple but fanciful tale of how Mother and Father Frog find a bigger pond for their 999 babies. It's also an educational story in that the reader learns that tadpoles become frogs and snakes and hawks eat frogs. Don't worry, the tadpoles and their parents all survive! I wasn't thrilled with the illustrati ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 21, 2011 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Mother and Father Frog have 999 tadpole babies. Suddenly the pond is too crowded. On their way to a new pond, Father is snatched by a hawk, but the babies and Mother grab hold of Father as the hawk flies away with them all. They can just hold on for so long. When they fall, happily, they fall into an enormous pond where the family has plenty of room.

A nice narrative flow and inviting illustrations combine for a satisfying story.

“’Why is this frog getting so heavy?’ the hawk wondered and he looke
Shannon
Oct 25, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I'd love to use this book with POPPY by Avi. It might also be neat as a twist on the Giant Turnip folk tale.
Bonnie
Jul 07, 2014 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Silly story about Mother & Father Frog and their 999 tadpoles going on an adventure to find a new home.
Arminzerella
Ok, so it's not very realistic to think that 999 eggs would all hatch and that 999 tadpoles would all survive to grow up and become 999 frogs who would then travel with their 2 parents to a new pond - by way of a bird of prey. We'd have a serious population problem in our ponds if there were no frog casualties.

Although this is a bit fantastical, it's really cute. Yasunari Murakami's illustrations are simple and childlike and adorable, and Ken Kimura's story strikes just the right notes. Little
Romelle
Aug 21, 2012 Romelle rated it liked it
I enjoyed the illustrations of the darling tadpoles/frogs against the white background. It slows the pace of the book so that the text can be savored at each page turn. The title alone is intriguing. When the tadpoles outgrow their pond, where will they go? That's the question that begs to be answered. The story takes the readers on an adventure, which makes me want more. However, the adventure seemed short-lived and the ending left me unfulfilled. The plot lost its momentum when it cut short th ...more
Jessica
Jan 24, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
I like the clear, clean drawings and the fun story. :)
Debby Baumgartner
Story of a mother and father frogs and their 999 tadpoles and when they grow too big for their pond.
Heydi Smith
Aug 26, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-storytime
A great little story about a family sticking together no matter what.

I would use this at storytime about families or frogs.
Eloise
Apr 30, 2014 Eloise rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful new frog book! Hooray!
Mckinley
Mar 19, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it
Too many off=spring so they need a new home and experience adventures along the way.
Karen A.
Jun 24, 2011 Karen A. rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Very funny and yet true to life:

Mother and Father Frog have 999 babies. Suddenly their little pond is too small for the family. What to do? What to do? Move. How to move 999 babies? Hop. Hop. Hop. But watch out for snakes and hawks. A funny light take on the real life perils of finding a place to live for you family. Mr. Murakami's illustrations are wonderfully playful and compliment the text well. This is a fun and humorous story book. One more for the Frog themed story times.
Jennifer Brown
Mar 13, 2014 Jennifer Brown rated it it was amazing
Adorable kids book!
Elaine Conway
Jan 07, 2016 Elaine Conway marked it as to-read
Michelle's Review:
Preschool
frogs, homes
on the longer side, but fun
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Yucky Worms
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • My Name is Elizabeth!
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat