Start by marking “Shut Up Shut Down” as Want to Read:
Shut Up Shut Down

Shut Up Shut Down

In the grand, narrative tradition of Gwendolyn Brooks and Edward Sanders, this riveting collection of poetic plays and photo-documentary poems exposes the human cost of corporate greed and gives voice to the growing crisis faced in communities across America.

“The several long poems that make up this book build into each other with devastating force and understatement, brea
Published October 1st 2008 by Coffee House Press (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Shut Up Shut Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shut Up Shut Down

Feb 15, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Last year, I read Mark Nowak's book, Coal Mountain Elementary, a work that is not so much a collection of poetry, but a collage of memoirs, interviews, and formal reports exploring the world of coal mining in both America and China. I was fascinated by this book -- so much so that I knew I had to travel back in publication time a bit and read Nowak's earlier book, Shut Up Shut Down.

Shut Up Shut Down is not for every poetry reader -- much like Coal Mountain Elementary, this collection is made up
Aug 12, 2009 Ian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Nowak is a booming giant. Working in the documentary style, he brings poetry back down to earth, into the mines, the shuttered steel mills, the picket line. Moreover, while contemporary poetics tinkers with identity politics, Nowak goes right for the taboo jugular: class. Oh wait, I forgot, there is no class struggle in America.
Feb 10, 2013 Arick rated it really liked it
Nowak's utilization of multiple speakers acts as perspective on history itself. But in the history contained here, the working class finally has a chance to speak against all the background noise. News clippings, found text, and silly rules of grammar act as a backdrop against which are told the stories of steel-workers and common laborers. Indeed, these stories of the working class act as clarification against public opinion, with Nowak rendering first-hand statements by the workers in bold. Th ...more
Alyson Hagy
Aug 29, 2012 Alyson Hagy rated it really liked it
A very strong, very compelling collection of poetry. I've read it twice, and I particularly admire the "collage" of voices (including the testimony of working Americans) that Nowak uses to structure these complex poems. The sequences "June 19, 1982" and "Francine Michalek Drives Bread" are probably my favorites, but I'm not sure it does the book any service to choose favorites when Nowak's power is accumulative, when his innovative structures, his sharp use of historical documents, build from se ...more
Feb 17, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Good stuff. Would make a comprehensible introduction to collage in poetry--Nowak's techniques illuminate rather than obscure, seem more intent on humanizing a subject than eviscerating/obscuring a text. Though there is also a fair amount of academicy language spliced in there as well. Regardless, Nowaks willingness to both tell the story of the working class as tied to particular regions/shut downs while still critiquing the racism that prevents "class solidarity" is pretty rare.
anthony e.
Feb 25, 2009 anthony e. rated it it was ok
The middle of this book was interesting, and I found myself really enticed by a lot of the allusions made by the juxtaposed found text, but the beginning and the end were just too obtuse for me to find anything of worth in. This isn't necessarily a shortcoming of the owrk itself; it's more likely tied to my inability to fully grasp what project Nowak is attempting with the works. I just couldn't get into them though.
Jan 27, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
whoops! I'm not good with the stars yet. Not one star, but five. One of the best books in recent years!
Meghan marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Kevin Mckinney
Kevin Mckinney marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Monica Mcdonough
Monica Mcdonough marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Ingrid Keir
Ingrid Keir rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Christopher Howard
Christopher Howard marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Jolene marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Mandy marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Luke marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Evan rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Elijah Wallace
Elijah Wallace rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
steph rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Kate added it
Apr 27, 2016
Jacob marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Anna Gay
Anna Gay rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Greg marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Mark Noack
Mark Noack rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Karin Cope
Karin Cope rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Chris rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
William Repass
William Repass rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015