Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree

The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree (The Berenstain Bears)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,077 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
Illus. in full color. Three brave little bears explore the inside of a mysterious old tree and go into, up, through, over, down, and out.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published February 9th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1978)

Sandi
Nov 17, 2008 Sandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must have read "The Spooky Old Tree" to my kids a million times. My daughter and son are 12 years apart in age and I still remembered at least half the words to this book when my son was a toddler. I think I have it completely memorized. It's short enough to read out loud without losing your voice and it's fun to do it in a creepy, scary voice. This was my all-time favorite bedtime book.
James
Sep 22, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fear. Illusion. Nightmares. A heady mix of rebellion and self-discovery, a bildungsroman of Lynchian proportions, a journey through the darkness surrounding middle America, wading into the murk of the mind, of life, to the farthest reaches of night. Is there joy in this world? Perhaps. Safety? A more assured thing, if accepted as a temporary measure. Yet evil remains, waiting, reaching. Sleep tight, sleepybears.

Also, this was the first book I fell in love with, mainly because it also came with a
Kristine
Authors: Stan and Jan Berenstain
Illustrators: Stan and Jan Berenstain
Published: 1978
Genre: Animal Stories; Scary; Comedy

Annotation:
In this story, three little bears set out to explore a spooky old tree. In the beginning, each bear has one tool: a light, a stick, and a rope. Throughout their adventure, the book repeatedly asks the reader, “do they dare” take the next step in their adventure? Every time, the answer is, “Yes. They dare.” As they explore the tree, one by one the bears drop their t
CB
Jun 29, 2011 CB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More often than not, children's books present topics which are relatively gentle. Stan and Jan Berenstain, however, have never shied away from presenting problems in a way that the youngest readers can understand. While most of their books revolve around things like new babies and messy rooms, this husband and wife team also show kids the fun and danger of adventure. In this book, the three bear siblings set off to explore a spooky old tree armed with a stick, a light, and a rope. Inside, they f ...more
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 26, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Love it! My daughter and I love spooky old Halloween looking trees. So what are the cubs gonna do when they find it, go exploring what else. Armed with all the goods, a rope, a light and a stick, they set off. What do they find, the Great Sleeping Bear. This has got to be our favorite Bears book.
Brian
May 29, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, young-readers
Kids tend to enjoy suspense as much as adults. This ranks among the best early childhood titles for developing imaginations. Contrasting with so many other Berenstain stories, there isn't an explicit lesson to convey (unless you count teaching children never to explore wilderness in the dark lest they encounter implausible dangers). In fact, here's an article about how good horror can be for audiences of all ages: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/05/why-...

The benefits of this more open-ended tale
Connie
Apr 13, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the earlier Berenstain Bear books, and it shows. The bears are less stylized and cutesy than the bears in the newer books, and the story is halfway between an early reader and the newer, longer read-alouds they do now.

It's a cute little story about three cubs going out with a light, a stick, and a rope to explore. Of course, they lose all three items and run screaming home to mom - and with good reason, that spooky old tree is *really* spooky.

There are only a few words per page, w
Maria
Oct 18, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Just enough words on the page, and just enough "spooky," for the young child. Brilliant in its simplicity.
Sonia
Feb 06, 2015 Sonia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tutoring-books
one of the shorter bear books, but I thought it was good.
Katie Coleman
Summary: Three little bears decide to leave their house one night and go exploring. They find a spooky, old tree and climb inside it. However, they discover there is a lot more inside the tree than they expected and one-by-one each little bear becomes more and more frightened. After running into alligators, spiders, and big sleeping bear, somehow the three little bears find their way out of the tree safely and back home.

Theme: Sometimes our expectations for something can be completely wrong, an
Alicia Singleton
This book is about three little bears and their adventure up and through the spooky old tree. They go up twisty old stairs, moving walls, to wake a huge sleeping bear. To get away from the bear they run and go up a ladder, through the floor, down a slide and out of the tree and run all the way back home. The illustrations in this book really make up the story. This story could probably be told without the text, because the illustrations provide so much detail that the text does not provide. For ...more
Suzanne
One of my children's favorites this book is boxed away for their children someday. How many of us as children looked at an old tree in the dark shadows and imagined it was full of scary things. The Bernsteins address being scared of things we don't need to be scared of. Great story.
Kim
Aug 07, 2007 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: treasures, children
I always picked this book for my mom to read to me when I was 3 years old. I knew it so well that I would say the whole thing for her instead:o) I still enjoy reading it to my nieces and love the Berenstain Bears.
Jennifer Ware
Oct 08, 2011 Jennifer Ware rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probobly the best Berenstain book out there! My kids loved this book. It has been to the "book doctor" so many times that is barely recognizable. It is on my list for my granddaughter, now.
Rachel
Sep 06, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a superb beginning reader, but children will enjoy this story even if they aren't picking up this book to read on their own. The Berenstains do a wonderful job of introducing vocabulary through the use of repetition, and the pattern created in the story makes the repeat anything but boring. Readers willingly follow the three bears through their creepy adventures, where there is just enough creepiness to entertain those youngsters who are looking for something a little scary. The mut ...more
Joyce
Jun 01, 2012 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who knows someone little
Shelves: favorites
My favorite book to read to my kids and now my grandson...
Anna  (Bananas!)
This book is awesome, yes it is.
Reeve's Mommy
Jul 14, 2015 Reeve's Mommy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would say this is Reeve's favorite book of all time.

Reeve says:
"It has a big hole, and it has some big leaves. So the Berenstein Bears find the Spooky Old Tree with the flashlight. The pink bear has a stick so she pokes the tree. So that bear has a pink dress. And that book has words. It has grass. And that spooky old tree has spooky arms. And that bear has a rope on his hand. And that red one has a red dress on his belly. The Spooky Old Tree is scary and grabs the Berenstain Bears."
Edward Creter
The Berenstain cubs are on a quest-filled adventure worthy of a young Indiana Jones. They have to enter a dangerous tree with hidden rooms of true terror! With only a walking stick, a flashlight and sheer willpower, they chase down the dream of conquering the Darkness! THEY MAY NEVER GET OUT ALIVE!!! But... keep in mind it's a kids' story and a fun one at that, as only the late and legendary Jan and Stan could tell it. Watch out for that....AHHHHHHH!...tree?
Sarah Derosier
Oct 15, 2015 Sarah Derosier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading this book with my mom and I was honestly very surprised how much of it I did not recall or remember it reminds me of those old haunted houses you walk through. Epically the part where they walk through the hall way. Since the way it looks reminds me a lot of the Disney Haunted House.

but I am a huge disney fan any way.

so a lot of thing do remind me of that.

Melissa
Jun 15, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
The Spooky Old Tree is a great suspense story for little ones. Three little bears go out one night to explore a creepy old, abandoned tree and each brought something to help with the investigation. I think this one might be scary for certain kids, but I think most would really enjoy it. Especially a great read for on Halloween!
Rachel Pederson
Dec 03, 2013 Rachel Pederson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
As a youngster, this was the number one book I requested my mom read to me almost every single day. By the end of my obsession with it, I had memorized every single word and even changed my voice to match the spookiness of the forest the bears were traveling through. Being two years old, this was one of the most fun and hilarious thing involved in my day to day routine.

The Berenstain Bears books are all good for teaching lessons to young children and taking them on daily adventures with the bea
Alex Sarll
A twisted vision almost worthy of The Twilight Zone - sure, the tree is fairly spooky, but isn't it stranger still that the spooked investigators should be three anthropomorphic bears? Are they the products of a Moreau-esque experiment? We're never told, which makes it all the more unsettling...
Abby
Sep 29, 2014 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own
"The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree" is a wonderful suspenseful read for little ones. Follow the cubs as the go on an amazing and thrilling adventure through the "Spooky Old Tree", overcome obstacles, and come back out again to the safety of their home.
{♥} Amanda {♥}
This book is really special to me. My parents used to read it to my brother and me when we were kids. Now that I have a munchkin of my own I read it to him. He's starting to read; yesterday he read this to me for the first time and it was amazing. I truly recommend!
Laura Morrigan
It was a real pleasure to read this again today. This was one of my childhood favourites. I still remember getting it from the Scholastic bookstore, and getting a free glow in the dark ghost sticker with it. I liked this one because it had a great spooky vibe and illustrations. I love all the bits of the tree house such as the moving wall with the giant key. I would love a house like that!

I found this at my boyfriend's parents' house. He remembered reading it as a kid too, and loving that great
Ashlee Draper Galyean
I will always love the Berenstain Bears. Always. Does anyone else think it was Papa Bear hiding in the tree to scare them? Otherwise why is Mama Bear so cool with them exploring some creepy old tree?
Ann Marie
Perfect for the early reader - preschool thru first
The bear children go exploring each carrying their own explorer items and enter a 'Spooky Tree' where they make use of their items while learning about up - through - over - around
Joan
Mar 08, 2014 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the perfect blend of adventure and danger. The words are basic enough for my little Geneva to read but every page is enchanting. I'd give it six stars if I could.
Nealam