Batman: Fear Itself

Batman: Fear Itself (Batman (Del Rey) #3)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Batman strikes fear in the hearts of criminals, but there’s a killer stalking Gotham who’s even better at inspiring fright–and his method just might be unbeatable . . . because it’s invisible.

Unbeknownst to the general public, a powerful new designer drug has hit the streets of Gotham, courtesy of an evil genius determined to turn the expression “scared to death” into leth...more
Published February 27th 2007 by Random House Publishing Group (DC Comics)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Crystal Starr Light
I will not claim to be a Batman expert. I have only seen the old Batman movie (what spectacular goofiness), the Tim Burton Batman movie, and the Christopher Nolan Batman remakes. Since I'm no Batman fan, what drew me to this book, you may ask. Well, that would be because it was written by Michael Reaves, whose Star Wars books I have read and enjoyed. (Imagine my surprise when I saw there is actually a co-author, hidden in the title page inside the book.)

NOTE: Throughout the book, I will compare...more
Gaisce
Dominique
A train in the subway has gone out of control and when Batman goes to investigate, he finds the driver nearly frightened to death and mumbling something under her breath. Other instances of people becoming similarly frightened trigger the Batman to investigate further, but with all of his nemesises locked up, Batman has a new enemy that he knows nothing about.

This story was very well crafted and the descriptions were terrific. I found it very heard to put this book down. All the characters were...more
Aaron
A gripping book, I found it quite difficult to put down once I began to read it. People buy a horror novel from a renowned author and suddenly start to have unusual panic attacks, usually hallucinations leading to accidents and fatalities...the big question to find out is who is behind it and how are they doing it? Is it the writing or is it something else about the books?
Ricky Ganci
I was really enjoying this book, its clever allusions to various horror fiction, some very nicely-written scenes that explored the dynamics between characters, and I had some pretty high expectations for the last 40 pages when all of the sudden, from nowhere, two gelatinous blobs that the Scarecrow somehow rounded up and “programmed” with internal computers to kill an interesting character. It shattered my conception of the book, its connection with Batman Begins, and it became a poorly drawn an...more
Tracy
Astonishingly well-written, well-plotted, with well-rounded human characters. This wasn't some cheesy, wannabe Batman "fanfiction" novel, this was the real deal, an "updated"/"upgraded" tech version of modern day Batman operating in the ever bleak Gotham City. The author won an Emmy for his writing on the animated Batman TV series, so it's really not surprising that the book is so well-written. Though it doesn't specify, I have to wonder if the animated show they meant was the one from the 90s,...more
Beverly
Eh. I enjoyed Scarecrow and I enjoyed the idea of a fear toxin, but I think the execution could have been a little better. I felt no actual, palpable fear. Maybe that would have happened if the writer had been able to create suspense, which he could only do to a limited extent.

Maggie was also a pain. She was a Mary Sue, plain and clear, because why else would she suddenly attract an OC *and* Batman? Srsly. And Alfred trying to hook Bruce up. Gimme a break. I had to skim the ending.

Still, Batman....more
Dovile
Whether you're a fan of the recent movies, the Batman Adventures Animated series or the Batman from the post-Crisis comics, you'll like this novel. It introduced Bruce and Batman to less informed readers without being boring or repetitive, the established characters are true to themselves and original characters are really original and developed. While the main storyline seemed to me somewhat predictable, it was still interesting, and the various pop culture and Batman comics references were qui...more
Ringman Roth
The second Batman book I've read, and I believe this is the first one I've read not an adaptation. While the book does move rather slowly, it delves into the science behind Batman's cool gadgetry, and reveals the more personal side of Batman, like how his sleeping and eating habits affect him. I'd recommend it to any Batman fan.
Jerry
The story and writing were good, but this isn't the insane action/adventure that fans of Christopher Nolan's films would enjoy. If you've read other superhero novels, you might like this, but anyone new to the "comic book prose" genre should start out with The Sinister Six trilogy by Adam-Troy Castro.
Kirsten
Yep. Always love a good Batman story. But this wasn't the best one I've read. The Maggie chick kinda bugged me the whole time and some of the dialogue was kinda cheesy, but for the most part it was engaging and fun to read.
Jenny
Here's another Batman caper... In this one the plot revolves around a book, "Fear Itself", which is involved in terrifying situations around Gotham City. Read on to see which supervillian is behind this idea.
David
Very slow. Takes to long to get to the villain and when they finally do the book is basically over. This was a miss by the authors. Plot was decent just wasn't carried through all the way.
Clint
ok but had a strange writing style. Once i was used to it i enjoyed the book
Maya Bohnhoff
Well, I can tell you that I enjoyed writing it with Michael.
Pizzle
Quick, easy read. Not really a fun one.
Dmolner1960
Great read!
Pheseans Rex
Pheseans Rex marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Nic Brooks
Nic Brooks is currently reading it
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Noah Cohen
Noah Cohen marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Phillip Stafford
Phillip Stafford marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Flor
Flor marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
David Trexler
David Trexler is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Micheal Reeves is an Emmy Award-winning television writer and screenwriter whose many credits include Star Trek: The Next Generation, Twilight Zone, Batman: The Animated Series; and Gargoyles. His novels include the New York Times bestseller STAR WARS: Darth Maul - Shadowhunter and the forthcoming STAR WARS: Death Star. He has written a book called Interworld with Neil Gaiman. He's also written sh...more
More about Michael Reaves...
Shadow Hunter (Star Wars: Darth Maul, #2) Shadows Over Baker Street Death Star (Star Wars) Battle Surgeons (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #4) (Medstar, #1) Jedi Twilight (Star Wars: Coruscant Nights, #1)