Start by marking “Batman: Fear Itself” as Want to Read:
Batman: Fear Itself

Batman: Fear Itself (Batman (Del Rey) #3)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  240 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Batman strikes fear in the hearts of criminals, but there’s a killer stalking Gotham who’s even better at inspiring fright–and his method just might be unbeatable . . . because it’s invisible.

Unbeknownst to the general public, a powerful new designer drug has hit the streets of Gotham, courtesy of an evil genius determined to turn the expression “scared to death” into leth
Published February 27th 2007 by Random House Publishing Group (DC Comics)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Crystal Starr Light
I will not claim to be a Batman expert. I have only seen the old Batman movie (what spectacular goofiness), the Tim Burton Batman movie, and the Christopher Nolan Batman remakes. Since I'm no Batman fan, what drew me to this book, you may ask. Well, that would be because it was written by Michael Reaves, whose Star Wars books I have read and enjoyed. (Imagine my surprise when I saw there is actually a co-author, hidden in the title page inside the book.)

NOTE: Throughout the book, I will compare
Gaisce
Oct 18, 2011 Gaisce rated it it was ok
Dominique
Feb 03, 2013 Dominique rated it it was amazing
Shelves: batman, favorites
A train in the subway has gone out of control and when Batman goes to investigate, he finds the driver nearly frightened to death and mumbling something under her breath. Other instances of people becoming similarly frightened trigger the Batman to investigate further, but with all of his nemesises locked up, Batman has a new enemy that he knows nothing about.

This story was very well crafted and the descriptions were terrific. I found it very heard to put this book down. All the characters were
Amber
Apr 24, 2016 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've read this book front to back so many times I'm surprised the pages haven't turned to dust.
Maureen Tanafon
Dec 05, 2015 Maureen Tanafon rated it it was ok
I'll be perfectly honest: I picked up a copy of this because it was cheap, and it had the Scarecrow in it, and I am a sucker for anything involving the Scarecrow.
Unfortunately, the authors seem convinced they can make you think the Scarecrow ISN'T the main villain. So in order to get a few decent scenes, you have to buckle in for hundreds of pages of 'detecting' that really isn't, and also isn't necessary because: This is Gotham. Fear toxin = Scarecrow. End of story, stop dangling really bad re
Aaron
Jul 05, 2007 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A gripping book, I found it quite difficult to put down once I began to read it. People buy a horror novel from a renowned author and suddenly start to have unusual panic attacks, usually hallucinations leading to accidents and fatalities...the big question to find out is who is behind it and how are they doing it? Is it the writing or is it something else about the books?
Adriana
Oct 22, 2014 Adriana rated it it was amazing
Reaves does an amazing job of giving voice to the inner workings of Batman in a way that feels authentic to the character’s history yet is still an original voice.
There’s lots of action, a dash of romance, a dab of humor and plot twists gallore to make this one incredible page turner.
Not only does Batman get to shine in both his identities, seondary characters get their own perfect scenes. The interactions between Bruce and Alfred are some of the best scenes in the book. FEAR ITSELF gives Alfre
Ricky Ganci
Jan 01, 2012 Ricky Ganci rated it it was ok
I was really enjoying this book, its clever allusions to various horror fiction, some very nicely-written scenes that explored the dynamics between characters, and I had some pretty high expectations for the last 40 pages when all of the sudden, from nowhere, two gelatinous blobs that the Scarecrow somehow rounded up and “programmed” with internal computers to kill an interesting character. It shattered my conception of the book, its connection with Batman Begins, and it became a poorly drawn an ...more
Vikalp Trivedi
Oct 28, 2015 Vikalp Trivedi rated it did not like it
I am a big fan of the Caped Crusader and many of the characters related to him . I started this book with great enthusiasm and expectations . But the book turned out to be a disappointment . I never thought that anything related to the Batman can be so boring .

The novel starts with the Batman saving a train from accident in a tunnel . The start was good but there was no story built up till next eleven chapters . Conversations in the book are unnecessarily starched so are the chapters . Even in
Tracy
Astonishingly well-written, well-plotted, with well-rounded human characters. This wasn't some cheesy, wannabe Batman "fanfiction" novel, this was the real deal, an "updated"/"upgraded" tech version of modern day Batman operating in the ever bleak Gotham City. The author won an Emmy for his writing on the animated Batman TV series, so it's really not surprising that the book is so well-written. Though it doesn't specify, I have to wonder if the animated show they meant was the one from the 90s, ...more
Beverly
Aug 03, 2012 Beverly rated it liked it
Eh. I enjoyed Scarecrow and I enjoyed the idea of a fear toxin, but I think the execution could have been a little better. I felt no actual, palpable fear. Maybe that would have happened if the writer had been able to create suspense, which he could only do to a limited extent.

Maggie was also a pain. She was a Mary Sue, plain and clear, because why else would she suddenly attract an OC *and* Batman? Srsly. And Alfred trying to hook Bruce up. Gimme a break. I had to skim the ending.

Still, Batman.
Dovile
Jul 19, 2013 Dovile rated it liked it
Whether you're a fan of the recent movies, the Batman Adventures Animated series or the Batman from the post-Crisis comics, you'll like this novel. It introduced Bruce and Batman to less informed readers without being boring or repetitive, the established characters are true to themselves and original characters are really original and developed. While the main storyline seemed to me somewhat predictable, it was still interesting, and the various pop culture and Batman comics references were qui ...more
Ringman Roth
May 17, 2010 Ringman Roth rated it really liked it
The second Batman book I've read, and I believe this is the first one I've read not an adaptation. While the book does move rather slowly, it delves into the science behind Batman's cool gadgetry, and reveals the more personal side of Batman, like how his sleeping and eating habits affect him. I'd recommend it to any Batman fan.
Jerry
Nov 05, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it
The story and writing were good, but this isn't the insane action/adventure that fans of Christopher Nolan's films would enjoy. If you've read other superhero novels, you might like this, but anyone new to the "comic book prose" genre should start out with The Sinister Six trilogy by Adam-Troy Castro.
Kirsten
Jun 09, 2012 Kirsten rated it liked it
Yep. Always love a good Batman story. But this wasn't the best one I've read. The Maggie chick kinda bugged me the whole time and some of the dialogue was kinda cheesy, but for the most part it was engaging and fun to read.
Jenny
Sep 16, 2008 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Here's another Batman caper... In this one the plot revolves around a book, "Fear Itself", which is involved in terrifying situations around Gotham City. Read on to see which supervillian is behind this idea.
David
Feb 06, 2014 David rated it it was ok
Very slow. Takes to long to get to the villain and when they finally do the book is basically over. This was a miss by the authors. Plot was decent just wasn't carried through all the way.
Clint
Dec 09, 2012 Clint rated it liked it
ok but had a strange writing style. Once i was used to it i enjoyed the book
Maya Bohnhoff
Jun 24, 2009 Maya Bohnhoff rated it really liked it
Shelves: written-by-me
Well, I can tell you that I enjoyed writing it with Michael.
Mister Future [formerly known as 'Pizzle']
Quick, easy read. Not really a fun one.
Dmolner1960
Oct 06, 2009 Dmolner1960 rated it really liked it
Shelves: batman
Great read!
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Macacoteste
Macacoteste marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Chayce
Chayce rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Alexander Case
Alexander Case marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Cassidy Mallett
Cassidy Mallett marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
  • Batman: Vampire
  • Redlaw
  • Infinite Crisis
  • Batman/Two-Face/Scarecrow: Year One
Micheal Reeves is an Emmy Award-winning television writer and screenwriter whose many credits include Star Trek: The Next Generation, Twilight Zone, Batman: The Animated Series; and Gargoyles. His novels include the New York Times bestseller STAR WARS: Darth Maul - Shadowhunter and the forthcoming STAR WARS: Death Star. He has written a book called Interworld with Neil Gaiman. He's also written sh ...more
More about Michael Reaves...

Batman (Del Rey) (3 books)
  • Batman: Dead White