Start by marking “The Teacher's Tales of Terror” as Want to Read:
The Teacher's Tales of Terror

The Teacher's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In a dangerous future world where gigantic, traction-powered cities attack and devour each other, London hunts where no other predator dares. Hidden in its vast superstructure is a murderous creature that severs the right hands of its victims.
Paperback
Published March 1st 2011 by World Book Day

To ask other readers questions about The Teacher's Tales of Terror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teacher's Tales of Terror

Blair
Having read and enjoyed Chris Priestley's full-length ghost story The Dead of Winter, I was inspired to look into his other work - actually in the hope that he might have written some ghostly fiction for adults, but when I came across this little volume of tales at just 49p for Kindle, I couldn't resist snapping it up.

At the beginning of the book, a supply teacher, attired in suspiciously appropriate clothing for 'Victorian Day', arrives at a modern-day school. He is shown to a classroom and, in
Andrew
Sep 06, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The was a short story originally written for World Book night and intended as one of those give aways to encourage readers of all ages to return to books. I stumbled across it some time later following the work of Chris Priestley and his series of "tales of terror" (which I might add I hope he returns to soon). the book is very much in the vein of the other tales of terror - with a suitably disturbing (remembering the audience) ending.

The idea of these short stories being part of a larger body
Georgie
Apr 01, 2012 Georgie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes M.R. James or ghost/creepy stories!
I have read Priestley's other collections of short ghost/horror stories - Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror, Tales of Terror from the Black Ship, and Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth. Though they are primarily aimed at kids and teens (11 +) the stories are all damn creepy. I particularly enjoy the influences in all four books - they all have a framing device, usually involving a child or children being told a series of creepy stories by a mysterious adult. This reminds me a lot of those wo ...more
Anthony Burt
Jul 29, 2015 Anthony Burt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Mr Priestley delivers an effortlessly unsettling batch of short, gothic horror stories from yet another creepy narrator - the weird supply teacher, Mr Munro.

This book is a special, World Book Day publication which I just discovered. I love Chris' writing style and how, in just the space of a few words, he hooks you into a melodramatic, Victorian horror style.

If you can find a copy of this, it's only 50 pages long and a quick, genius little read!
Josie
Jul 17, 2016 Josie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Three very creepy and gruesome stories! I didn't even see the twist at the end coming since (view spoiler). I shouldn't assume that children's books will necessarily be predictable!
Poppy Coles
Aug 11, 2014 Poppy Coles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was considering rating this book 3 stars but, upon reaching the final end pages, it struck me as so unusual, unexpected and gripping that I just had to rate it 4 stars!
Samama Reza
This book has two stories on both sides and this one's my favorite from the 2. The people who love reading actual scary stories should certainly read this!
Bex Archer
Apr 12, 2016 Bex Archer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
Definitely not one for children who have nightmares. Macabre and creepy with a good twist at the end.
Kayleigh Dolly D'Andilly
I love these books! This was a short one written for world book day but the tales are brilliant. If you are thinking about reading the Tales of Terror books you should defiantly get this one to start you off. It gives you an introduction to the fun of his other books and it's so cheap on the kindle. Wonderful!
Paula
Feb 24, 2012 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with his previous books. ''Tales of Terror from the Black Ship' and 'Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror', Chris Priestley brings another collection of tales of terror to scare school children everywhere. The stories are definitely for sharing.
Anna Kļaviņa
Without illustrations and short ( four tales ) but a good introduction to Priestley's Tales of Terror only for 0.44 on kindle
Natalie Bleau
Jul 27, 2013 Natalie Bleau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Fantastic book really enjoyed reading this.
Dan
May 07, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing
Anna Fang rules. More please :)
Pepper
Pepper marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Amna Mir
Amna Mir marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Tom Sheldon
Tom Sheldon is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2016
Adéla Matoušková
Adéla Matoušková marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Holly Day
Holly Day marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Rosalinda
Rosalinda marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Allyson
Allyson marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
theghostwriter
theghostwriter marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jul 24, 2016
kirstie cox
kirstie cox rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
  • Bad Seeds: Evil Progeny
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 10
  • The Asylum
  • One Million Tiny Plays About Britain
  • Stalking  Shadows (Scary Mary, #2)
  • Songs on Bronze
  • The Drowning Pool
  • I Dream of Zenia with the Bright Red Teeth
  • A Little Girl in My Room & Other Stories
  • The Barrens and Others
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident
  • The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares
  • Crucifax
519134
His father was in the army and so he moved around a lot as a child and lived in Wales. He was an avid reader of American comics as a child, and when he was eight or nine, and living in Gibraltar, he won a prize in a newspaper story-writing competition. He decided then “that my ambition was to write and illustrate my own book”.
He spent his teens in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, before moving to Manchester,
More about Chris Priestley...

Tales of Terror (5 books)
  • Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1)
  • Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • Christmas Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror)