Start by marking “Chataine's Guardian (The Annals of Lystra #1)” as Want to Read:
Chataine's Guardian (The Annals of Lystra #1)

Chataine's Guardian (The Annals of Lystra #1)

On the tenth birthday of Chataine Dierdre, her father, Karel, appoints a guardian for her--Roman, a captain of the guard. Karel is aware of the Lystran law that, at age 17, Chataine must choose the man she will marry. But he never dreams her choice might be Roman, the homely soldier who calls himself a "Christian".
Paperback
Published September 1st 1994 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published May 28th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Chataine's Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chataine's Guardian

Marklessgirl
Jun 29, 2016 Marklessgirl rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! There is some great characters and setting in history with romance that was very clean (there is some kissing and it is a little bit descriptive but not like crazy) and the romance is slow because the main girl is only 10 when she meets the love interest (who is WAY more then a love interest character) and she is not betrothed to him or anything at 10. There is some spiritual warfare stuff and that was pretty cool but could be creepy for some people (there are witches ...more
Jamey
Jan 09, 2012 Jamey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
At the age of 10, Chataine Deirdre was assigned a soldier Guardian named Roman. At first the two despised each other and Deirdre looked for ways to get her young guard in trouble. But as the years wore on and the young princess grew into a beautiful young lady, she began to have deeper, and forbidden feelings for her protector, and he for her. Now, in the midst of an all-out war, Deirdre must decide her course of action, knowing full well how it will effect those she loves.
This is a touching and
Karen
May 08, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this several times growing up and read it to my girls when they were old enough for longer stories.

It's the basic story about a princess who finds her prince charming where she least expects it. It also has a Christian element, but doesn't get preachy about it.

So often, the early Christian fiction was more concerned about moral lessons.

This novel, on the other hand, is a story first (and a good one), that just happens to have a Christian element.

I would recommend this to anyone who dreams o
Ally McKinnis
Aug 07, 2010 Ally McKinnis rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of ALL TIME! Every person MUST READ THIS AMAZING BOOK! I am recommending it 100 thumbs up and a trillion praises. Appropriate and okay for children above 10.
Sally Poyzer
Oct 01, 2016 Sally Poyzer rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was a teenager - my siblings and I all did. I still remember my joy at the unfolding story, my delight in the unexpected romance and my amazement at the ending. Love it, love it.
Nelson Suit
Mar 15, 2014 Nelson Suit rated it it was amazing
In this beautifully written tale, Deirdre, daughter to the ruler of the country of Lystra, grows up under the care of a Christian soldier (Roman) who is appointed her guardian.

The relationship between the (at first) immature and headstrong Deirdre and the ever restrained Roman is tense from the beginning. We see their relationship grow - as Deirdre ages from a girl to a young woman and has to choose a husband (among a myriad of well-to-do suitors). All this happens in a story line where bits and
Patty Barton
Aug 20, 2012 Patty Barton rated it it was amazing
A must read for all! My grand daughter (age17) loved it also. I tell her all boyfriends have to measure up to Roman!
Kumiko
Oct 01, 2012 Kumiko rated it it was amazing
Read this when I was 12 and many times since. True test of faith that God is with you always and no matter how hard things can get, he is always by your side.
Brenda Pandos
Jul 31, 2010 Brenda Pandos rated it it was amazing
This is my ALL time favorite series! I love LOVE it! Everyone needs a Roman :)
Lisa Rathbun
I've been reading some Christian best-selling fiction, and been disappointed by many of them. In contrast, I am really enjoying this book, especially at first. However, as I read on, I was bothered by the book's lack of internal consistency.

At first it's hard to tell if this is historical fiction or fantasy. If it is fantasy, I wish the main character had not been called Roman, which is distracting, making one think he is nicknamed this based on his ancestry. Also he is referred to as being a f
Jo Notary
1 of 3 books
228p I am assigning a Guardian to ward you. His name is Roman. . .."
Thus begins Surchatain Karel's explanation to his daughter, ten-year-old Chataine Deirdre, as to why her life is about to change dramatically. Karel's small country, Lystra, possesses the only navigable river on the southern coast of the Continent. The provinces that surround Lystra want its river trade, and will do anything to gain it--even kill the heir to the throne. So Karel places her life in the keeping of the
Apr 21, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Hardy brings you into another world smoothly, allowing you to fully relate to this world of Lystra with rules slightly different from our own. Within this context, she takes you through the entire young life of Deirdre, the equivalent of a princess. Even though the time spans over a decade, Hardy writes fluidly enough that you won't feel jerked around and will feel fulfilled with what/who Dierdre has become by the end. The most charming aspect of this novel (even above the conspiracies that ...more
Rebekah Rodda
Sep 02, 2016 Rebekah Rodda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, christian
This was my favourite Christian fantasy as a teenager. This book has everything - romance, high adventure, intrigue and a gripping plot. The story centres around a young female child called Deirdre who is the heir (called The Chataine) of the kingdom of Lystra. Deirdre is assigned a soldier called Roman to be her bodyguard to keep her safe. She resents Roman's presence as she longs for freedom. Likewise Roman longs to be in active duty on the battlefield and resents being a 'nursemaid' to a ...more
Chris Meads
Apr 28, 2015 Chris Meads rated it it was amazing
This is the first in the series of the Annals of Lystra. I have read this book at least 3-4 times since I received it in the mail when it first came out. I have the first edition.

Deidre is the chataine of Lystra, a small province surrounded by other states. Her father, the Surchatain is worried that someone will harm her so he sets up a guardian to protect her. That guardian is Roman, a Christian believer. Roman has his hands full with Deidre who is very headstrong. Despite the age difference (1
Jill
Oct 01, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
I first read this book about fifteen years ago and LOVED it. I have read it twice more over the years and liked it a little less with each re-reading, yet it remains on my shelf. Roman and Deirdre are extreme characters,yet they work for the allegorical content of the story (such as it is). She is extremely vain and selfish and not very lovable, yet he loves her devotedly, as a picture of Christ's love for each of us. Eventually she learns to appreciate and return his love.

To be honest, I think
Liv Fisher
CHATAINE'S GUARDIAN was an absolutely beautiful tale!! Readers venture through the world of Robin Hardy, where they watch the heiress to the throne of Lystra slowly grow and mature. They are drawn to the heiress's courageous guardian, Roman, and endure dangerous assassins and exciting battles, along the way. Truly, CHATAINE'S GUARDIAN does not disappoint!!
Marissa at Beneath the Moon and Stars
I really liked this one. It had me on my toes for some of it, and it had it's cute moments. I really enjoyed the historical part of it. Thanks unnamed friend who will never see this for lending it to me!
Michelle Griep
Jan 09, 2012 Michelle Griep rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last week I pulled this one off my shelf and re-read it for the bazillionth time. Why? Because it's a stinkin' great story. The writing style is kind of dated (head hopping and all) but the story is sweet. I love this whole series.
Erin
Apr 20, 2012 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-books
There was a good outline of a story, but no real depth. I felt we didn't get a real feel of the characters, and the story jumped around a lot. You start out with Deirdre at 10, and then all of the sudden she's 18, yet there isn't a real segway from that age to
Alicia Low
Jun 23, 2016 Alicia Low rated it it was amazing
I read this many many years ago, but I still remember loving it and attempting to write like Robin Hardy.

reread: June 5-10, 2016
Becky
Apr 24, 2015 Becky rated it liked it
This one, like the book I read before this, felt like the Cliff's notes version of the book. Good story, but it needed more.
Marcia Hill
Apr 23, 2012 Marcia Hill rated it it was amazing
I loved this allegory set in medieval times. I've read a bunch by Robin Hardy and really like them!
Megan
Lindy
Lindy rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Kristy
Kristy rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2013
Kirstyn
Kirstyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Jessica Surgett
Jessica Surgett rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
Amy Macdonald
Amy Macdonald rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Trista Holmes
Trista Holmes rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2013
  • Walks The Fire (Prairie Winds, #1)
  • Lions of the Desert (Egypt Trilogy #2)
  • The Crown of Eden
  • Ladybird
  • The Golden Cross (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #2)
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)
  • On the Run (The Elijah Project, #1)
  • The Redeeming (Age of Faith #3)
  • Empress of the Underworld (Seven Sleepers, #6)
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)

The Annals of Lystra (3 books)
  • Stone of Help (The Annals of Lystra #2)
  • Liberation of Lystra (The Annals of Lystra #3)