No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross

No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  2,496 ratings  ·  67 reviews
The cross.

It rests on the time line of history. Like a compelling diamond ...

Its tragedy summons all the sufferers ...

Its absurdity attracts all cynics ...

Its hope lures all searchers.

Far more than a gold-plated symbol of religious belief, the cross is the centerpiece of the Christian faith -- the meeting place of time and eternity. Where God and man encounter each other.

M...more
Published August 30th 2011 by Nelson, Thomas, Inc. (first published 1985)

Ronald Melone
Each chapter is short and each chapter is profound. My copy is worn out because I continue to go to it after many years.
Lee Harmon
Max Lucado was asked by an acquaintance in a coffee house about his faith. "What is it that matters?" the man asked. "Skip the periphery. Go to the essence. Tell me the part that matters." Years later, the answer had solidified for Lucado. The cross of Calvary. That's the essence. "If the account of the cross is true, it's history's hinge. ... If not, it's history's hoax."

This book, then, is a search for the meaning of the cross. Special attention is given to the little details of the Golgotha s...more
Shelley
No wonder they call Him Savior.-The Title says so much about the Man and How much He endured for all.
This book tells the story of how much love Jesus gave those that despised Him and wanted to Crucify Him.
A young man , a Seminary student asks the author, What really matters in life and the answer is The Cross,
This books tell the story of a man named Jesus, who goes from being an assuming carpenter, to The Cross and Showing humility
all the way and The book does an awesome job by, taking each stat...more
Jennifer Radtke
This is a re-release of the book. I had never read it before. I really enjoy Max Lucado and decided to give it a walk through. Max Lucado wrote the original in Brazil, specifically Rio de Janeiro.

The book is based on the cry, "Don't give me religion, give me what matters." His response is that Jesus was killed, buried and resurrected, that part that matters is the cross. That windy "day when the kingdom of death was repossessed and hope took up the payments." In essence the book is a dissection...more
Lindsay
This is my favorite Max Lucado book. I love the way he writes and relives the Passion Story, especially the chapter of one-word sentences, "Alive!" That particular chapter really stands out. This book is perfect to read during the season of Lent, before Easter.
Kathryn Jones
The content of this book was great. I didn't always feel like his writing flowed from one chapter to another. More like a bunch of short stories from chapter to chapter. But, it was still very meaningful and I enjoyed it.
Cashie
Though Lucado takes some imaginative liberties that aren't found in Scripture, he has good lessons to teach in the book. Take it with a grain of salt, but there are good morals there.
Craig
Lucado will make you feel like you were an eyewitness at the cross. Powerful, beautiful book.
Ellie Gesulgon
This book made me realize God's love in its truest sense. It made me appreciate the cross more. :)
Lindsey Doolan
The Thomas Kinkade of Christian authors. Sickly-sweet.
Daniel
Great reminder of why I so love Jesus!
Kevin Sorensen
I'll start with a bit of a disclaimer: This is the first full-length book by Lucado I've read. I've read several shorts. I've received lots of "freebies" in the mail at church (with the hope by the marketers that we'd buy 100s of these for give-aways) for Mother's Day and Father's Day and Easter. I also received this via BookSneeze.com as an ebook, one of the first I've ever read "cover to cover" in this format (I used Nook for Mac).

All in all, it was a pleasant experience and a pleasant read. I...more
Dave Johnson
really disappointed by this. it's a shame, because i really wanted to like it, and my hunger for the subject matter, i thought, wouldve put this in a rosier light. this is my first introduction to Lucado, and...not a fan.

the thing about this is that it isnt bad. he's not a horrible writer. he does have some skill and talent, and that does come through. but the biggest problem is that, first of all, this title is somewhat misleading. when i read the title, i assumed that it would be a chronicle o...more
Mark
Sep 29, 2007 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moms
Is it me or is it a little bit embarassing to admith that you've read Max Lucado books? It's not that he's a bad writer. It just seems like he's always got some new book out that's on display at Christian bookstores and he seems like the kind of writer that moms like. Well, anyway, when I first started taking my faith seriously I thought I should read some Christian books. This was the only one I had, so I read it. It was really good. I think I would still say it was good. I re-read it a few yea...more
Neil Geisel
This would be a classic. It is timeless. Max Lucado's style of writing is artistic and creates the scene very eloquently. The reader can almost relive each moment and empathize with the characters who walked these events written about in the Bible. The book and it's chronicles about Christ, the cross, and the events that make-up the greatest love stories of all time, teaches and inspires. It was a great read.
Nikole Hahn
This book reminds me of a Snuggie.

You slip your arms into the sleeves and let the love wrap around you to ward off the chill of anger and unforgivness. It’s written in typical Max Lucado style—the master story teller telling the tale of the cross in a language we can all understand. While I didn’t care for the gun comment on page 12 because it smelled political, the rest of the book won me with its rich descriptions and warmth. I give this book four stars.

It’s not very deep or complicated. It ha...more
Randy Alcorn
In 1986 my publisher sent me a prelease copy of Max Lucado’s No Wonder They Call Him the Savior. The book took my breath away. Christ-centered, Bible-affirming, warm, practical and beautifully written—what more could a reader ask for? God touched my heart through that book and I knew it was something very special. In the decades since, tens of millions have discovered Max Lucado, and God has used his books to touch deeply people of many tribes, nations and languages. I celebrate Max’s 25 years o...more
James Kim
Read this book again as I have been preparing for Easter. This is one of my favorite Lucado books. It's short but content is excellent.
Kyle
Each chapter was nice and short and had it's own story.

To me, this was a good book. Max leads you in the drama of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I think this is a book that every Christian should read, or a non-Christian that wants to get closer to God. For some people, this book may be hard to put down, but it is a fast read since the chapters are short as well as the book. This is the first Max Lucado book I have read. At some point, I'd like to read more of his books.

I received...more
Christine
Jan 05, 2012 Christine rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
This book wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting it to be.

The back cover portrays it to be sort of a chronological covering of the events of the crucifixion, and this really isn't what the book is focusing on at all.

It really doesn't have one main point, or rather, it's main point of the cross is supported by somewhat random storytelling of the author and some excerpts from the Bible.

Overall, it wasn't bad, and it does have some inspirational stories and ideas, but don't expe...more
Melissa
Simple, thought provoking, inspirational, classic.
Joshua
I love Lucado's pithy Biblical insight into deep truths. You cannot read his work without it touching your heart. If you are looking for "head knowledge" you will be disappointed. If you are looking for that which moves the heart, pick up this book and enjoy the ride.

The more I know Christ, the more I realize He wants our hearts, not just our heads. This book is an excellent signpost to many of the words, the people, and the events surrounding that last week of Christ.

I highly recommend this boo...more
Deborah
Max Lucado has a writing style that really engages his readers. His simple prose, aneccdotes, and way of making one feel as if they're in the story too, makes it difficult to put his books down. This particular book truly does chronicle the cross. He writes from several perspectives, including various people that were there at the time. You can't help but put this book down at the end and see Christ's death and resurrection in a clearer purer and different way than ever before.
Sharyn
Feb 12, 2009 Sharyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a closer view of Jesus
Shelves: own-this-book
this book was my introduction to Max's writing. I chose it to be the devotional book for our monthly Women's mission group for the year 2000, so this particular cover was not the cover of the book I bought.
After reading this book ( many times) I became hooked on Max. Then he was putting out books faster than I could afford them and unfortunately they were not available at my library.
Cara Hasbrouck
A great, refreshing new look on the various stories surrounding the greatest day in history. Lucado does a wonderful job retelling the stories of those who encountered the cross and those who are still encountering the cross. It was a great reminder of just how powerful this event was.
Bill
I don't include these sort of books in my regular reading, but every now and then, maybe when I'm on holiday, maybe when I'm tired, perhaps when I've read too much too quickly of heavier stuff, this kind of light but still encouraging book hits the spot.
Jcurmudge
Well not really "theology". Mostly challenge. Lucado speaks of the soldiers gambling for Jesus' clothes: "So near to the timber. So far from the blood." Book was a gift after Church last Sunday (7/13/08) from Judge Russell Fagg who was our guest.

Todd
Oct 22, 2008 Todd rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Seekers
This is the One. After years of being a "Christian" this is the one that introduced me to Jesus. Not my image of Jesus, but the real breathing living dying serving reigning Jesus. This and God Came Near are the books that changed my life.
Marcy
As always, Max Lucado has a way of putting the Savior into words that touch my soul & heart. There were things about the Crucifixion that I had just never thought of before that he brings to light. Great book. Highly recommend it!
Ryan Parman
It's a Max Lucado book, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be 5 stars. Max does an excellent job of drawing out the most interesting concepts, events and nuances of the life of Christ that you rarely pick up on Sunday mornings. Good stuff.
  • Loving God
  • Hand Me Another Brick
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • Amplified Bible
  • Baptism And Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today (IVP Classics)
  • Your God is Too Safe
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Evidence That Demands a Verdict
  • Becoming a Contagious Christian
  • Secrets of the Vine: Breaking Through to Abundance
  • Fresh Faith: What Happens When Real Faith Ignites God's People
  • One Minute After You Die: A Preview of Your Final Destination
  • The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes
  • The God Chasers: My Soul Follows Hard After Thee
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition,...more
More about Max Lucado...
You Are Special He Chose the Nails Facing Your Giants In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear