Start by marking “De Historia Et Veritate Unicornis/on the History and Truth of the Unicorn” as Want to Read:
De Historia Et Veritate Unicornis/on the History   and Truth of the Unicorn

De Historia Et Veritate Unicornis/on the History and Truth of the Unicorn

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
An illuminated manuscript setting forth the fictional fifteenth-century diary of one Magnalucius, who records his first-hand observations of unicorns along with the facts he has learned about their natural history.
Paperback
Published June 1st 1983 by Olympic Marketing Corp (first published 1983)

Be the first to ask a question about De Historia Et Veritate Unicornis/on the History and Truth of the Unicorn

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleInto the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce CovilleSong of the Wanderer by Bruce CovilleHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDark Whispers by Bruce Coville
Unicorn Books
42nd out of 251 books — 200 voters
A Tolkien Bestiary by David DayFaeries by Brian FroudFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. RowlingAfter Man by Dougal DixonThe Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis Borges
Bestiaries
144th out of 165 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Debbie Zapata
Mar 14, 2015 Debbie Zapata rated it really liked it
Shelves: saturday
I bought this book new back in the early 80's, and have read it a few times since then. I mostly enjoy the story, even if it does seem a bit simplistic to me these days. How many times have we seen the device of 'I found this manuscript and translated it in order to share its secrets with the world'? Michael Green uses a variation of this here when he declares that he received a letter telling him he was the most qualified person to share the 'history and truth of the unicorn' with the world.

The
Kathryn
Feb 13, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
An altogether lovely book, and the most gorgeous illustrations. Imagine if Da Vinci spent an afternoon doing sketches of unicorns. That's what most of the pictures remind me of.

From what I remember, this book was a "history" of the unicorn, but it also had a puzzle with a possible prize. There's a riddle at the end, and the solution is scattered throughout the rest of the book. Supposedly, if you can solve the riddle then the answer will tell you where to find a real unicorn horn. Okay, it's obv
Animus
Oct 08, 2010 Animus rated it it was amazing
This book is so stunningly awesome that i think i actually believe it.
Lynne King
Jan 28, 2013 Lynne King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm a book browser by nature and whenever I go into a bookshop I never know what I'm going to come out with. This is one of those cases when I was seduced by the cover, although mine, a paperback, is different to the hardcover shown above, as it shows a unicorn licking (I hope not eating!) the ear of a sleeping girl, who is apparently in a wood.

It’s really a fascinating story. The author had received a letter, “handwritten in an elegant italic script, requesting a meeting with me as soon as poss
Azalea
I consider this more of an artbook than a fictional manuscript. Lots and lots of beautiful illustrations about the classical, medieval unicorn - a deerlike, graceful creature far from its rainbow-pooping popcultural equivalent - on a huge canvas and superb paper quality for practically free. A must have for every fan of unicorns and intricate art clearly inspired by medieval art and manuscripts.

The fictional lore is beautiful to read, although I cannot tell how far off or close to it is to medie
Christina
Feb 27, 2010 Christina rated it liked it
This has very beautiful unicorn sketches and artwork. Could have been a four star if it had been longer with more information and artwork. The book is supposedly based off a true manuscript about unicorns so the author challenges the readers skepticism about whether or not the notes contained in the book are real or not. It is called a facsimile original manuscript for a reason but no less the must read for any unicorn fan.
Carlos
Oct 22, 2008 Carlos rated it it was amazing
This book was a gift from some great friends back in my days living in Spain. It certainly resembles the magic my friends exhumed and the magic of those days.

A beautiful read for all those who know that beyond all our intelligence and logic there's always a semi real fantasy.
Courtney
Sep 24, 2009 Courtney rated it it was amazing
The images in this book are stunning. The history is well written and believable. This book is a must for unicorn lovers and dreamers alike.
Yvan
Feb 01, 2016 Yvan rated it really liked it
I'll be honest. I bought this book almost exclusively for the pictures. In my defense, they are really lovely illustrations of unicorns (mostly uncolored, though a few are). I think anyone with an interest in medieval manuscripts and/or unicorns would really like this. And if nothing else, it's a nice book to have on your coffee table for guests to look at.
Kest Schwartzman
Sep 23, 2014 Kest Schwartzman rated it really liked it
five stars for the rather gorgeous images, three for the lackluster (not bad, just not good) text.
Miranda
Sep 07, 2015 Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story has some interesting points, but the art makes this book wonderful. It's just lovely!
Raquel Carmona
Feb 01, 2016 Raquel Carmona rated it it was amazing
Un libro que lleva a entender a los unicornios, por lo que guía a sacar lo mejor de nosotros mismos para hacer contacto con el unicornio que todos llevamos dentro y ser testigos de tan solemne criatura
Velvetea
Oct 17, 2012 Velvetea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, art
The most influential illustrations I've ever seen!!

I was truly inspired as a child in an artistic sense~ the soft sketches of lithe forms with their large, glassy eyes emanating love and wisdom~ the artist has mastered their form exactly how I'd imagined them as a unicorn-loving child.

I definitely consider this to be more an artistic work than narrative~ and I'm pretty sure that's why anyone would be attracted to it.
Chris
Mar 16, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
The text in the book is interesting, but the real reason to read this book is to droll over the artwork, beautiful artwork. The words, while in some ways not very nescessary, do not take away from the artwork.

The conceit is that Green was given the manuscript and presents a translation. The conciet is what the conciet is, but the style ties into it prefectly.
Lorena Martínez
Mar 22, 2011 Lorena Martínez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
It actually came to me, I was looking for some material on the astronomy section of the library and there it was, miss placed for me to find it :). Ejejejeje, is really interesting and the ilustrations are just beautiful.
Tricia
Nov 13, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
Perhaps we are supposed to grow out of our childhood fantasies, but I received this as a gift last Christmas and realized the magic will never leave me. Beautiful illustrations; a wonderful gift idea for a unicorn fan.
Meltha
Jun 07, 2009 Meltha rated it really liked it
Sign number one that I was a massive geek child: this was my favorite birthday present when I turned 10. Lovely, though.
Erick
Dec 09, 2008 Erick rated it liked it
A sweet book that mixes old and new in fantasy and hope.
Cindi
Jan 10, 2009 Cindi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
not at the library
Pam
Pam added it
Feb 11, 2016
Kristen Brown
Kristen Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Rita Sassatelli
Rita Sassatelli marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Meek
Meek marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Anne French
Anne French marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Mario Perron
Mario Perron rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Celia
Celia rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
  • The Lore of the Unicorn
  • The Unicorn Sonata
  • The Unicorn
  • The Natural History of Unicorns
  • Magical Beasts (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Trolls
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
  • Ladies of the Lake
  • The Young Merlin Trilogy
  • The Case of the Vanishing Boy
  • Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells: Based on Quentin Cottington's Journal of Faery Research
  • Всё о муми-троллях (Всё о...)
  • Daughter of Fire (Merlin's Legacy, #1)
  • Wonder Tales: The Book of Wonder and Tales of Wonder
  • Ars Magica
  • The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia
Librarian Note: Michael^^^Green - Artist and Illustrator
There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information.
More about Michael Green...

“Into darkness will I fade,
Into a night that Man has made,
But through that gloom shall gleam the sun
When I am lost, and again am won.

Release! Release! I call to thee
In new lands across the sea:
Let, another on narrow pathways, come to me.

Furthest and Highest,
yet not beyond reach.
Choose thou well a path that will teach
How the sunken is raised
and emptiness is filled
and a wandering heart
can finally be stilled.

Seek the great stone! Mark it well,with a sign.
That the one who shall follow
Shall see it is mine,
and seeing, shall ponder and certainly know
As the Ancients have writ: "As above, so below."

And I shall guard the Source of Greatness;
Waiting by a teardrop
From neither joy nor sorrow born,
In silver bound, beneath the ground,
I am the spiral horn.”