Start by marking “The Unicorn” as Want to Read:
The Unicorn

The Unicorn

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  390 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
What is this elusive creature with a horn growing from its forehead? Who is this animal with the power to neutralize poison, a fatal attraction to maidens, and the mythic ability to enrich the cultures of Asia, Arabia, and Europe?

Of all the legendary animals of art, folklore, and literature, the unicorn is the one with the greatest hold on our imaginations. Other fabulous

Published November 24th 1987 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unicorn

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleInto the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce CovilleSong of the Wanderer by Bruce CovilleHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDark Whispers by Bruce Coville
Unicorn Books
40th out of 243 books — 200 voters
Faeries by Brian FroudThe Art of Amy Brown by Amy BrownThe Fantasy World of Josephine Wall by Josephine WallParting The Veil by Nene ThomasLady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book by Terry Jones
Fantasy Art Books
12th out of 53 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Orsolya
When I was a little girl, I was quite intrigued by unicorns. Their single horn, creamy white flanks, and magical capabilities… I was smitten. To this day, I love white horses. Whether young or old, Nancy Hathaway’s “The Unicorn” is a coffee table book which brings back the heavenly unicorn into our lives.

Sadly, “The Unicorn” is not a social history or analytical book. Although the introduction does fall somewhat into that description and provides some very interesting antidotes/symbolic explana
Nov 29, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have collected unicorns since I was a kid. I have always been interested in unicorns so I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked seeing all of the ways unicorns were depicted in art and how they were portrayed by different cultures. I also enjoyed reading the stories about unicorns. This book does not imply that unicorns do not exist. I have always believed that unicorns were an actual animal. When I was in geography class in eighth grade the teacher asked the entire class who believed in u ...more
Serena
Dec 07, 2015 Serena rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, animals
Collection of many interesting myths. Really enjoyed it! And the writing (prose) was excellent.
Dave
Jan 22, 2016 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a very pretty book, which is probably the best thing about it. The artwork is lovely throughout. The text, however is less interesting. It mainly consists of retelling of unicorn myth and story, but unfortunately has little or nothing little or nothing in the way of context or explanation of where each of the stories come from or its place in the history of the unicorn myth. This means the book stands on the quality of the stories, which isn't bad, but neither is it particularly strong.
Rachel
Feb 11, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had this book as a child and would flip through it over and over again until the cover fell off. I loved/love unicorns and this is a great compendium of information and artwork.
Adriene
May 02, 2011 Adriene marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythical-beasts
I remember this book from when I was a little girl. I must have checked it out from the library like a million times. So happy to finally have a copy of my own.
Kendra
An enjoyable book on the history of the unicorn from around the world. Stories and info, combined within a decent sized book. Beautiful pictures as well.
Heather Moore
Oct 02, 2007 Heather Moore rated it really liked it
Shelves: secondary-source
I learned some very interesting mythologies surround the unicorn. I think that in a few places, however, the use of images could be strengthend.
Eliza A. H. Lord
Jul 30, 2013 Eliza A. H. Lord rated it really liked it
In elementary school I learned to draw studying the art in this book, my mom's Michelangelo coffee table book, and photos from Ranger Rick.
Tortla
Apr 26, 2008 Tortla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fairy tale nerds
The history of unicorns. Like as legends in different places, and the origins of them. Pretty interesting, if you're a nerd like me.
Bridgett
Jul 29, 2011 Bridgett rated it it was amazing
Lovely unicorn images and a variety of unicorn stories -- including ones that were new to me.
Lee Anne
Feb 20, 2009 Lee Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, history
Too bad you don't have a picture of the cover; it's a beautiful book to the eye.
Sparker Pants
Jun 02, 2010 Sparker Pants rated it really liked it
Shelves: gift, unicorns, mine-own
Historical look at how unicorns came to be so pervasive in stories and myth.
Mckinley
Oct 13, 2013 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, myth, ref
Tales about unicorns from many different lands, cultures and times.
Nenia Campbell
Mar 06, 2014 Nenia Campbell rated it really liked it
Read review HERE.
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Blue
Blue added it
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Korrin
Korrin added it
Jessica Beeles
Jessica Beeles marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Nerissa
Nerissa rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Sujit Patra
Sujit Patra rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Mario Perron
Mario Perron rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Pat
Pat added it
Jan 23, 2016
Samantha Markle
Samantha Markle rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Jamie B.
Jamie B. rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Sophia Lumene
Sophia Lumene marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
  • The Flight of Dragons
  • De Historia Et Veritate Unicornis/on the History   and Truth of the Unicorn
  • Castles (An Original Bantam Gift Book)
  • The Unicorn Treasury: Stories, Poems, and Unicorn Lore