Start by marking “Batman: War Crimes” as Want to Read:
Batman: War Crimes

Batman: War Crimes (Batman: War Games)

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  448 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The Spoiler died during a the gang waror so Batman thought.When the media begin reporting on the Spoilers private life and making accusations aimed at the Dark Knight, he begins an investigation that leads to a new confrontation with Gotham Citys undisputed underworld boss, Black Mask.Complicating matters even further is the return of his deadliest opponent, the Joker, and ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
219th out of 376 books — 692 voters
Batman by Frank MillerBatman by Dennis O'NeilBatman and the Monster Men by Matt WagnerBatman and the Mad Monk by Matt WagnerBatman by Doug Moench
The Batman Reading Order
40th out of 66 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

The Man In The Hat
Jul 22, 2007 The Man In The Hat rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics-dc, 1-star
Such a shame this was allowed to be published.
A staggering betrayal of the reader, when a long time good guy - one of the stalwarts of Batman's univers - suddenly becomes a villain for a poorly written, poorly conceived, completely unconvincing reason. It's so far out of character they might as well have had Jesus crop up and machine gun some orphans, at least it would have been more interesting and about as in-character.
Feather Mista
Jan 09, 2014 Feather Mista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi nadie
Recommended to Feather by: Polémica
Este tomo es una especie de aftermath de Juegos de guerra, que no leí, pero se entiende a la perfección por sí solo. Lamentablemente, que se entienda no quiere decir que se disfrute, por más bien contada que esté la historia, o más zafable que sea el dibujo.
Primero tiene un par de historias cortas autoconclusivas que aportan poco a la trama central pero son de lo más disfrutable del tomo. Después sí, arranca una introducción de cuatro capítulos y medio donde pasa muy poco hasta la infame vuelta
M
Aug 09, 2013 M rated it it was ok
The War Crimes volume attempts to look at the aftermath of Stephanie Brown's death during the multiple gang war. We open with Black Mask opining about the various Bat-rogues and their position with his plans for Gotham. When a mysterious source appears on television claiming to know more about Stephanie than he should, a three-way battle ensues over her legacy as Robin. Black Mask decides to dress up as Batman, murdering anyone who can connect him to Stephanie while pinning the crimes on Batman; ...more
Trekscribbler
May 01, 2011 Trekscribbler rated it liked it
WAR GAMES -- a year-plus serialized event in the history of Batman -- was a terrifically compelling yarn. Everything that could've gone wrong WENT wrong: alliances were forged and fell apart, enemies were made that shouldn't have been made, and people died. That's rare in the comic book universe, but it's one of the traits that strongly separates the Batman and his stories from most other DC "superhero" tales ... Batman is human, and, as a result, he's bound to make mistakes, just like any other ...more
Jamesthegill
Jul 06, 2016 Jamesthegill rated it it was ok
Didn't appreciate the tone they took with Batman (too ready to kill) and the bastardising of Steph's reputation in this. Still, it only cost 4. ...more
Eric Mikols
Jan 28, 2014 Eric Mikols rated it liked it
Shelves: batman
An interesting fallout volume for the whole War Games storyline, but I don't like what they did to the character of Leslie Thompkins. I was hoping this volume would explain why Stephanie doesn't stay dead, but no such story.
J.M. Hushour
Feb 16, 2013 J.M. Hushour rated it really liked it
Robin has been murdered by Black Mask! But what the hell really happened?! Batman tries to find out and gets to pummel Black Mask AND the Joker en route. The Joker is upset because Black Mask got to kill a Robin and he didn't, so they're going at it, too, with ol' BM dresed up as Batman in a frame-up attempt. This is dark and weird shit but began a killer run of story arcs which ran right up until the recent DC "reboot".
Jason
Oct 08, 2008 Jason rated it it was amazing
The follow up to War Games, and I just found it to be the most fun Batman ride since I read Frank Miller's 2 Dark Knight books. Stands alone if it must, but better if done on the heels of War Games. (There's a prequel to War Games, War Drums, but not in my opinion it's definitely the weakest of the three...all set up and little action...action comes in spades in War Games and War Crimes, though!)
Indika De Silva
May 25, 2013 Indika De Silva rated it liked it
The following book could be considered as the epilogue for the whole Batman War games series.

The final confrontation between Batman and Black-mask is further complicated with the interference of the Joker.

This book displays the extraordinary detective abilities of Batman even without the assistance of his associates.
sixthreezy
May 11, 2012 sixthreezy rated it liked it
Shelves: batman, dc
Left me with a bad case of "Meh"... A good example of a great idea backed up by boring writing and art. It was entertaining enough to finish, but not anything I'd go out of my way to recommend to someone. Just an interesting story gone bad, and ends up being the exact opposite of interesting.
Mark
Mar 30, 2011 Mark rated it liked it
Wasn't a big fan of the illustration of some of the characters. Batman got a little soap boxy at points, I think I skipped a book in the series as well. Not a bad read, just nothing that surprised me.
Caroline
Decent, but really nothing special. I did like the fact it departed from the usual of having every single classic Batman villain in it, but other than that it didn't really have all that much of interest.
CB
Nov 10, 2008 CB rated it really liked it
Good art. Story was a little tricky to get into since I hadn't read what had come before. It's always fun to toss the Joker in too. A little superfluous, maybe, but fun.
Christina
Dec 02, 2012 Christina rated it it was ok
Why tho

Why must you make all the female characters come off as stupid or cruel or both

(It was kind of nice to see Batman actually reveling in the violence though)
Ozli
Jan 10, 2010 Ozli rated it liked it
Oh, Batman. What.. what were they thinking, IDK. The ending was stupid. Actually, a lot of this was stupid.

Black Mask/Joker is pretty ridiculously funny.
Virginia
Dec 13, 2010 Virginia rated it did not like it
Boo! Boo for the character assassination and BOOOO for BORING!! *sob* Boo. :( The only thing good about it was its brevity.
Stephen Theaker
Jul 16, 2008 Stephen Theaker rated it liked it
A good modern Batman story. I was surprised by how seamless it was, given the number of writers and artists involved.
Mike
Aug 07, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: completed-series
My teenager and I both regretted the ending - the permanent loss of one of Batman's most ethical supporters...
Dean Olson
Jul 19, 2012 Dean Olson rated it it was ok
Shelves: wantlist, comics
The reason why The Joker goes after Black Mask is great but the writing is pretty blah.
Shaun
Sep 05, 2012 Shaun rated it liked it

A continuation of War Games. I thought it was an okay story.
Alice Lidell
Alice Lidell marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Keith
Keith added it
Jul 24, 2016
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Dillon Bramblitt
Dillon Bramblitt marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Nina
Nina is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Arun Singh
Arun Singh rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
G
G rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Xerrah
Xerrah marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Adam Nulph
Adam Nulph rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
  • Batman: Officer Down
  • Batman: Prodigal
  • Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive, Vol. 1
  • Batman: City of Crime
  • Batman: Legacy
  • Batman: Going Sane
  • Batman: As the Crow Flies (Batman Beyond)
  • Batman: Gotham Underground