The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A sock is a work of wonder. No other knitted garment has as many structural demands or endures as much wear and tear. The humble sock must defy gravity, suffer the confines of our shoes, and endure being trampled on all day long.

All too often, the root cause of a sock's triumph or failure is the yarn itself. In The Knitter’s Book of Socks, Clara Parkes shows you how to kni...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Potter Craft

Bonny
This is the season for multiple "Best Books of 2011" lists, and The Knitter's Book of Socks should definitely be on those lists. The only people that don't take socks for granted are Clara Parkes and sock knitters. Parkes helps sock knitters to understand sock engineering - elasticity, strength, and moisture management, and then provides wonderfully detailed information about stitches, pattern, yarn fiber, twist, and ply to knit the perfect socks for the wearer. I have had to reevaluate some of...more
Janelle
I am a big fan of Clara Parkes - The Knitter's Review, her books, her classes. I was fortunate enough to take her classes at Sock Summits 2009 and 2011, and this book is both a summary and extension of everything she presented there. It is wonderful to have it all together in one place, and in such an attractive place, too! As usual, Potter Craft did a beautiful job on the book design and photography. I have been known to pet this book gently as I pass by it in a room. It's not going on the shel...more
Medlibrarian
I don't usually add knitting books here as they tend to be composed mostly of patterns, but I'm making an exception for this one. Clara Parkes has written three books that I think are must reads for the dedicated knitter: The Knitter's Book of Yarns; The Knitter's Book of Wool, and now this one). Although there are a lot of fantastic patterns in here, there is also fantastic information about wool and fibers, fiber choice for socks, sock construction, etc. I got this at the library, but it's goi...more
Melissa
Excellent refernce, interesting patterns in the back. Perhaps would have liked a list of sock yarns broken out by ply, spin, etc. As I'm not a spinner that was hard to picture in my head from her descriptions.
Kazen
I learned a lot about the fundamental make up of yarn, namely how ply, twist, and crimp can work for you or against you in a sock yarn. I was impressed how even handed the discussion of technique was, acknowledging differing opinions in the knitting world. Most people think 1x1 is the stretchiest rib, but Elizabeth Zimmerman thought it was 2x2. Twisted stitches can be good for tightening up a pattern, but so-and-so points out the yarn may wear out faster... and so on.

The patterns are from design...more
I'm not an expert knitter but this book called to me from the shelf. Wouldn't it be nice to have a good pair of socks that I knit all by myself? I have recently learned to knit in the round, so my confidence level was slightly up when I began this book. While I might need to practice some techniques, I think I can find a pattern or two that I can make for myself that wouldn't be too terribly hard.

Socks are an intimidating thing to knit, even if they're simply a garment piece that you shove in yo...more
Amanda
As soon as I read this book I knew I wanted to make every one of these socks in the suggested yarn and in the order they appear in the book. Can you imagine how much you would learn about types of yarn and the different properties they lend to socks? It would make me a sock knitting expert. First I have to finish knitting the stash I have.
Cherylann
This book is a must have for sock knitters. I bought the book because it's by Clara Parkes, and if I wanted something explained, I want it explained by Clara Parkes. She does an amazing job explaining fiber, elasticity, wear, ply, stitch patterns, construction - pretty much anything you want to know to make a pair of socks that will not only look beautiful but also feel comfortable and last. There's an added bonus to this book: the designers of the sock patterns in chapter 5 reads like a who's w...more
Jackie Fowler
Mar 07, 2012 Jackie Fowler rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: sock knitters
Shelves: knitting
Following The Knitter's Book of Yarn, this book keeps the focus on yarn and looks specifically at sock design and techniques that make the best use of yarn. It delves into the physical aspects of yarn so that you can match the best yarn to a pattern. All the patterns contained within the book are learning patterns in the sense that the yarn chosen for each pattern is chosen for specific reasons.

Very nice Kindle format! I appreciated all the extended e-book content via hyperlinks.
Jen Johnson
this is going on my to buy list, the information and explanations of patterns, stitches, and fit were great and i know i won't remember everything i read! the patterns looked good too, but i was concerned that so many of them were just in the one size. i know i can make the foot shorter to fit lengthwise, but i'm hesitant to mess with the pattern chart for circumference adjustments. guess i'll just have to buy it and try it!
Karen
If you knit socks, or love yarn, you need this book. The "science" of yarn is explained clearly in the beginning of the book, followed by gorgeous knitting patterns. After reading the opening pages, one will have a better understanding of why certain yarns and fibers are better choices for socks. The third in Parkes' series, this book is a must for the fiber enthusiast!
I certainly have a better grasp on choosing the right yarn for socks/patterns. Great explanations on how ply, twist and fiber content affect how your knitting wears as well as tips and tricks on which stitches can give your more (or less) elasticity in your socks. Very informative without being dull and overwhelming. I love the patterns included, I can't wait to try them!
Lil' Grogan
Maybe if all 3 of her books were put together, it would be a reference book I would buy. Still have the same problem as with her other books, there's some information, but not quite enough to answer my questions. Patterns were interesting and discussion of fibre choices too. Found it interesting the lack of different sizing offered in some of the designs.
Sue
Nov 08, 2011 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: knitter, sock knitters
There is more to knitting socks than meets the eye. Have you thought about how the type of yarn, the twist of the yarn and the ply affect t the finished sock. Or how different stitches affect stretchiness, comfort and durability of the sock.
All questions answered in this highly informative book. A must-read for sock knitters.
Julie
Simply wonderful! Everything you need to know about sock yarn, sock construction, and it has the added bonus of some great patterns. This book is even more special for me because I was in Clara Parkes' Sock Summit 2009 class, "Finding Sock Yarn Happiness", that was the beginning of the idea for this book.
Polly
I do like a knitting book with some reading in it, as well as patterns, and this is definitely such a one!
Anna
There is so much good information about everything that goes into making a humble pair of socks in this book. I've always been scared to try to knit them, but I feel much more confident after reading this. There are also lovely patterns and beautiful photos, what more could you ask for.
May 19, 2012 Laura is currently reading it
This is part chemistry & physics & the other part creative jucies flowing. WOnderful, clear explaination of yarn & how to chose not just for socks, but for all knitting projects. Purpose: to free the creator up to work in all different mediums & make a beautiful product.
Kirstin
Gorgeous patterns and really interesting explanations, but there wasn't really any information on resizing the patterns and many only came in one size. I will need to use another source to figure out how to make the socks fit me, which is disappointing.
Desiree
This is a must have for anyone who may want to knit socks, or already does. Fantastic info regarding the kinds of yarn and what patterns they are best for. And then, there are the patterns. I want to make them all! (I actually CO one today!)
Hope
Very complex patterns, but great descriptions of technique and explanations of matching yarns to patterns and function. I wish there was more information on adapting patterns for fit and that some of the patterns were toe up.
Linda
This is a good book if you are comfortable with knitting socks, need some info on choosing the right sock yarn, and best it had a great resource section and patterns. Must!
Liz DeCoster
Clara Parkes is a genius, as always, but I guess I'm just not a sock person? The book was informative, but none of the patterns really spoke to me.
Chris
My copy of this book was missing about 15 pages near the end, so be sure to check the book before you buy it!
Michelle
Great reference for any sock knitter. Full of interesting information, and equally great sock patterns.
thistle
For me, this one was worth buying (albeit at 40% discount). Readable resource with good range.
Ridgely
Clara Parkes always gives us the straight dope on all knitting issues, and this is no exception.
Lynn
so many socks, so little time! I picked one to start with for now; maybe one per year.
Amanda Underwood
GREAT BOOK!!!! This is such a wonderful reference! It is now on my 'buy' list!
Georgia
Adding this so I can reference it later. Will try a pair of socks soon!
  • Sock Innovation
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • Favorite Socks
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Knitting Vintage Socks
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book
  • Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!
  • Knitting Rules!
  • The Vogue® Knitting Stitchionary Volume Two: Cables: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue® Knitting Magazine
CLARA PARKES left her career in the booming high-tech industry to pursue her love of knitting. She lives on the coast of Maine in a farmhouse full of yarn. She is the publisher of KnittersReview.com and a contributor to Interweave Knits."
More about Clara Parkes...
The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber The Yarn Whisperer: My Unexpected Life in Knitting KnitKnacks: Much Ado About Knitting Knitting Memories: Reflections on the Knitter's Life