Batman: Secrets

Batman: Secrets (Batman)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Sam Kieth, renowned illustrator of THE SANDMAN, has earned a reputation for creating comic-book epics that combine powerful action and thought-provoking themes. Now, he brings that vision to Batman in a story that pits the Dark Knight against the Joker -- all under the unforgiving eye of the media.

Their confrontation is caught on film, and Gotham City's protector appears

Published January 31st 2007 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

StoryTellerShannon
It all begins with a secret that Batman has kept close to his heart since his childhood and which the Joker wants revealed because the latter believes an exposed secret can be used against the former. The tale in of itself is the Joker manipulating photographs to show that Batman murdered a couple and then brutally beat the “clown prince of crime” to a pulp. Joker picks up a girlfriend who is not so surprisingly easily manipulated and mentally imbalanced.

The story is hit or miss at times but it...more
Brandy
Sam Keith has a lot of good ideas. He's just ... well, not a very good writer. His dialogue tends toward the clunky, and he needs an editor like nobody's business. (I had more than a few instances of "huh? who?" in these ~120 pages, as characters morphed from Mooley to Dooley, Deborah to ... Dinah, maybe?)

In this particular story, Batman and the Joker reminisce about old times--particularly, about The Killing Joke and Batman's biggest secret, revealed a little at a time throughout the original...more
Travis Roberson
Really, the most intriguing thing about this book is the art. While Sam Keith obviously has some great ideas bouncing around in his head, I think he has a problem with getting them on paper. The story that is printed on the page and left for all of us to read just isn't as good as I think it could have been.

It's a decent read and certainly not terrible, but it's clunky dialog, out-of-character characters and seemingly rushed story definitely harm it.
Nfnt-robin
I kind of agree with whoever said this is Batman cosplaying as the Maxx...because it totally is. I do very much admire Keith's art, and the odd relationship between the Joker and Batman has always fascinated me. They're like a really screwed up old married couple at this point. But...the denouement (which is where it really strongly echoes the Maxx) is kind of silly, and I just don't buy it. So I'm kind of on the fence about whether it fulfills its promise.
Matt
Quite a great book. Reminds me of the brooding darkness and disturbing insanity of "The Killing Joke" and a little bit of "Arkham Asylum," but for that same reason it didn't feel as fresh or original. Even still, the story really had me captivated, and the characters were certainly interesting. And it had me chuckling a few times as well! I'd definitely recommend this one.
Doug
I really liked the art style of this book. The story jumped around a lot, from "2 hours prior" to "five minutes after," for really no good reason...the gimmick didn't serve the story. But again, great art, thus it's worth a read.
Colin Bruce Anthes
To its credit, it wraps up well. But the story is contrived with poor writing and no build or climax. The ending comes as a pleasant surprise.
Boots
here's another one that totally overreaches. the art style is definitely not my thing, but i was hoping at least for a story that was compelling enough to make looking at all those weird flyaway hairdos worth my time. but the story is just okay at best and really lame at worst.

let's forget the silly premise of joker being paroled out of arkham as being declared "sane" for a moment; everything he does after is just silly (and not joker-silly, just silly-silly). his relationship with the a.d.a. i...more
Federiken Masters
Aug 25, 2011 Federiken Masters marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Autor y precio
Me pregunto si todavía podré conseguir algunos de los tomos de este coleccionable que me interesa tener.
De momento, me alegra tener otra obra de Kieth entre mis pertenencias y voy a aprovechar para acotar algo que no tiene que ver con esta saga en sí: recién me leí en edición argentina Batman: Fantasmas 1 y 2 (Batman Confidential #40-43 USA) y por lo que veo, jamás se recopiló en libro en ningún idioma, y eso que está bastante buena la historia. Provisoriamente, dejo mi semi-reseña en este libro...more
Lily  Lu
Interesting.
Terry Meeks
I gave it 3 stars for the story, which was pretty good. the art work though, well it's just horrible. still a good read.
Michele Manara
Forse non degno di apparire tra le migliori storie di Batman, ma comunque si legge volentieri.
Non aspettatevi grandi rivelazioni, però, che i "secrets" del titolo sono ben poca cosa.
Graficamente però è incredibile, sia per per la composizione delle tavole che per il tratto di Kieth (che da The Maxx sembra aver fatto davvero parecchia strada). Il suo Joker ha una fisionomia quantomai deformata e luciferina, all'altezza della versione di McKean.
Aurora
I kept going back and forth on this, but I think I've decided. It really sucks. Some of the ideas are good, but I feel like I've read this story before with other characters. And this Joker doesn't make any sense to me, plot elements seem really random. I guess my main complaint is I feel like it's trying to play heavy emotional notes it doesn't earn.
Joel Griswell
Terrific work by Kieth. Fantastic story, absolutely gorgeous and disturbing artwork, I haven't seen many artists who make the entire page come alive like this, and break free from the traditional panel restrictions, both highly stylized and very painterly at the same time (reminds me of Dave McKean somewhat). This is a savage, and very dark story.
Sophie
The Book Geek
Another case of the artwork being better than the story. Joker tries to blackmail a few people and convince the world that he is reformed while trying to frame Batman. One of the artists worked on The Maxx, so a pretty cool and expressive style of drawing.
Terry
Batman and the Joker reminisce about The Killing Joke, Bruce Wayne recalls a secret he shared with his boyhood friend Mooley or Dooley (depending on the issue), and the Joker practices the expression he wore in Arkham Asylum.
Kellyisobelly Flowers
First comic I ever read. Love the style. Really like the story. But I did buy this baby for a friend's birthday... so have to find myself another version of this.
Chuck
Probably the most underrated batman story ever. Keith's Batman is unforgettable with it's exagerated pointed ears. only two words are necessary... BAD ASS!
Adrian
Enough style and substance to rival the classic, controversial Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth, only without all the allegory.
Rachel
This one had awesome art. The story is nothing earth-shattering, and that's exactly why it only gets three stars.
Dave
the best of sam kieth's slew of batman novels. The others were really bad. This one is worth a read.
Evan
Great art, mediocre story, a nice ending for a book that could have used some work.
Katie
I am thoroughly unimpressed at the moment...
Jason
Great art, compelling story. 3 1/2 stars.
Kathleen
Beautiful, in a Gothic, Tim Burton kind of way.
sixthreezy
Short and sweet. And secret-y.
ILANA
Sam Keith + Batman=yes please.
  • Batman: Blind Justice
  • Batman: Contagion
  • Batman: Joker's Asylum
  • Batman: Thrillkiller
  • Batman: The Widening Gyre
  • Batman/Deathblow: After The Fire (Deluxe Edition)
  • Batman: Hush Returns
  • Batman Confidential, Vol. 2: Lovers and Madmen
  • Batman: Time and the Batman
  • Batman/Two-Face/Scarecrow: Year One
  • Batman: Strange Apparitions
  • Batman: Year 100
Kieth first came to prominence in 1984 as the inker of Matt Wagner's Mage, his brushwork adding fluidity and texture to the broad strokes of Wagner's early work at Comico Comics. In 1989, he drew the first five issues of writer Neil Gaiman's celebrated series The Sandman, but felt his style was unsuited to the book (specifically saying that he "felt like Jimi Hendrix in The Beatles") and left, han...more
More about Sam Kieth...
The Maxx, Vol. 1 The Maxx, Vol. 2 The Maxx, Vol. 3 The Maxx, Vol. 4 The Maxx, Vol. 5