Start by marking “Batman: Secrets” as Want to Read:
Batman: Secrets

Batman: Secrets (Batman)

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  343 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Sam Kieth, renowned illustrator of THE SANDMAN, has earned a reputation for creating comic-book epics that combine powerful action and thought-provoking themes. Now, he brings that vision to Batman in a story that pits the Dark Knight against the Joker -- all under the unforgiving eye of the media.

Their confrontation is caught on film, and Gotham City's protector appears

Published January 31st 2007 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

StoryTellerShannon
It all begins with a secret that Batman has kept close to his heart since his childhood and which the Joker wants revealed because the latter believes an exposed secret can be used against the former. The tale in of itself is the Joker manipulating photographs to show that Batman murdered a couple and then brutally beat the “clown prince of crime” to a pulp. Joker picks up a girlfriend who is not so surprisingly easily manipulated and mentally imbalanced.

The story is hit or miss at times but it
Brandy
Mar 27, 2008 Brandy rated it liked it
Sam Keith has a lot of good ideas. He's just ... well, not a very good writer. His dialogue tends toward the clunky, and he needs an editor like nobody's business. (I had more than a few instances of "huh? who?" in these ~120 pages, as characters morphed from Mooley to Dooley, Deborah to ... Dinah, maybe?)

In this particular story, Batman and the Joker reminisce about old times--particularly, about The Killing Joke and Batman's biggest secret, revealed a little at a time throughout the original
Edward Cheer
Apr 25, 2015 Edward Cheer rated it liked it
I've read and watched a lot of Batman in my life. I've seen his origins and those of all his villains. I've seen Gotham's darkest crevice, Arkham Asylum's lowest lair. What possible secrets could this comic possibly have that I wouldn't know? Well... To start, the art in "Batman: Secrets" is pretty neat. Very stretched out and abstract (Similar to "Arkham Asylum" (The one that came out before the video game)), creating a sense of fear and insanity. But unfortunately, the story and characters are ...more
Travis Roberson
May 03, 2011 Travis Roberson rated it liked it
Really, the most intriguing thing about this book is the art. While Sam Keith obviously has some great ideas bouncing around in his head, I think he has a problem with getting them on paper. The story that is printed on the page and left for all of us to read just isn't as good as I think it could have been.

It's a decent read and certainly not terrible, but it's clunky dialog, out-of-character characters and seemingly rushed story definitely harm it.
Nfnt-robin
Dec 18, 2007 Nfnt-robin rated it liked it
Shelves: ggnft
I kind of agree with whoever said this is Batman cosplaying as the Maxx...because it totally is. I do very much admire Keith's art, and the odd relationship between the Joker and Batman has always fascinated me. They're like a really screwed up old married couple at this point. But...the denouement (which is where it really strongly echoes the Maxx) is kind of silly, and I just don't buy it. So I'm kind of on the fence about whether it fulfills its promise.
Matt
Sep 01, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
Quite a great book. Reminds me of the brooding darkness and disturbing insanity of "The Killing Joke" and a little bit of "Arkham Asylum," but for that same reason it didn't feel as fresh or original. Even still, the story really had me captivated, and the characters were certainly interesting. And it had me chuckling a few times as well! I'd definitely recommend this one.
Doug
Apr 02, 2009 Doug rated it liked it
I really liked the art style of this book. The story jumped around a lot, from "2 hours prior" to "five minutes after," for really no good reason...the gimmick didn't serve the story. But again, great art, thus it's worth a read.
Colin Bruce Anthes
May 14, 2011 Colin Bruce Anthes rated it liked it
To its credit, it wraps up well. But the story is contrived with poor writing and no build or climax. The ending comes as a pleasant surprise.
Boots
Mar 11, 2013 Boots rated it it was ok
here's another one that totally overreaches. the art style is definitely not my thing, but i was hoping at least for a story that was compelling enough to make looking at all those weird flyaway hairdos worth my time. but the story is just okay at best and really lame at worst.

let's forget the silly premise of joker being paroled out of arkham as being declared "sane" for a moment; everything he does after is just silly (and not joker-silly, just silly-silly). his relationship with the a.d.a. i
Patrick
Sep 21, 2014 Patrick rated it liked it
I love Sam Kieth. I'll buy anything he does. I probably stared at each page for ten minutes just marvelling at the art.
That said...this story is horrible.
Victor Orozco
Jul 04, 2015 Victor Orozco rated it did not like it
Well... This was pretty weird.

The story was strange the artwork over exaggerated and it wasn't anywhere as good as I expected Batman to be.

F
Federiken Masters
Aug 25, 2011 Federiken Masters marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Autor y precio
Me pregunto si todavía podré conseguir algunos de los tomos de este coleccionable que me interesa tener.
De momento, me alegra tener otra obra de Kieth entre mis pertenencias y voy a aprovechar para acotar algo que no tiene que ver con esta saga en sí: recién me leí en edición argentina Batman: Fantasmas 1 y 2 (Batman Confidential #40-43 USA) y por lo que veo, jamás se recopiló en libro en ningún idioma, y eso que está bastante buena la historia. Provisoriamente, dejo mi semi-reseña en este libro
Angie Quantrell
May 19, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Just like the movie, but in simple kid fashion. Great job!
Lily  Lu
Jul 02, 2014 Lily Lu rated it really liked it
Interesting.
Aurora
Aug 18, 2008 Aurora rated it it was ok
I kept going back and forth on this, but I think I've decided. It really sucks. Some of the ideas are good, but I feel like I've read this story before with other characters. And this Joker doesn't make any sense to me, plot elements seem really random. I guess my main complaint is I feel like it's trying to play heavy emotional notes it doesn't earn.
Joel Griswell
Aug 03, 2011 Joel Griswell rated it really liked it
Terrific work by Kieth. Fantastic story, absolutely gorgeous and disturbing artwork, I haven't seen many artists who make the entire page come alive like this, and break free from the traditional panel restrictions, both highly stylized and very painterly at the same time (reminds me of Dave McKean somewhat). This is a savage, and very dark story.
Hannah Givens
Dec 16, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it liked it
05/06/09: I loved the story, it captured a certain essence of the perennial Batman/Joker battle, but did not appreciate the art.

05/14/10: Enjoyed the art more this time, or at least the framing -- the occasional Joker/Bats talking heads make it sort of an in-their-heads story, a dreamlike sequence that's real but never happened.
Sophie
Mar 30, 2009 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Dan
Feb 02, 2013 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another case of the artwork being better than the story. Joker tries to blackmail a few people and convince the world that he is reformed while trying to frame Batman. One of the artists worked on The Maxx, so a pretty cool and expressive style of drawing.
Terry
Jun 20, 2011 Terry rated it it was ok
Batman and the Joker reminisce about The Killing Joke, Bruce Wayne recalls a secret he shared with his boyhood friend Mooley or Dooley (depending on the issue), and the Joker practices the expression he wore in Arkham Asylum.
Kellyisobelly Flowers
Jun 29, 2013 Kellyisobelly Flowers rated it really liked it
First comic I ever read. Love the style. Really like the story. But I did buy this baby for a friend's birthday... so have to find myself another version of this.
Chuck
Jun 21, 2015 Chuck rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, comics
Probably the most underrated batman story ever. Keith's Batman is unforgettable with it's exagerated pointed ears. only two words are necessary... BAD ASS!
Adrian
Jul 26, 2011 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superheroes
Enough style and substance to rival the classic, controversial Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth, only without all the allegory.
Terry Meeks
Jan 10, 2015 Terry Meeks rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books-read
I gave it 3 stars for the story, which was pretty good. the art work though, well it's just horrible. still a good read.
Rachel
Apr 21, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
This one had awesome art. The story is nothing earth-shattering, and that's exactly why it only gets three stars.
Dave
Aug 25, 2013 Dave rated it liked it
the best of sam kieth's slew of batman novels. The others were really bad. This one is worth a read.
Evan
Nov 23, 2013 Evan rated it liked it
Great art, mediocre story, a nice ending for a book that could have used some work.
Katie
Feb 17, 2010 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am thoroughly unimpressed at the moment...
Jason
Great art, compelling story. 3 1/2 stars.
Kathleen
Feb 12, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
Beautiful, in a Gothic, Tim Burton kind of way.
  • Batman: Arkham Reborn
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us #4
  • Batman: Vampire
  • Carnage
  • Batman: Detective
Kieth first came to prominence in 1984 as the inker of Matt Wagner's Mage, his brushwork adding fluidity and texture to the broad strokes of Wagner's early work at Comico Comics. In 1989, he drew the first five issues of writer Neil Gaiman's celebrated series The Sandman, but felt his style was unsuited to the book (specifically saying that he "felt like Jimi Hendrix in The Beatles") and left, han ...more
More about Sam Kieth...

Batman (1 - 10 of 366 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1